Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

B

Cool Bats, but did you catch the hairy crotch on the Female Ancestor or Spirit

Sorry, I just had to share that.
Tgap, I love your new carving, sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the Wecheer. Let me know if I can help.

T

On 2006-05-23 10:08, Benzart wrote:
Cool Bats, but did you catch the hairy crotch on the Female Ancestor or Spirit

Sorry, I just had to share that.
Tgap, I love your new carving, sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the Wecheer. Let me know if I can help.

That's pretty funny, addin' the hair like that! Great style there... (and I thought it was a hula skirt!)...

Ben! Good to hear from you - at least your Water Heater was in the garage! I wonder why it failed after just 4 years!?

I figured out that I can't abuse the Wecheer like I was doing. I got the 2nd replacement and I'm taking it easy, and it works pretty damned well, thanks!

Tiki #11 is coming along - He's "Pool Tiki" now because the Dogwood came from some friends' pool area. He'll probably live down at the pool, if he's allowed.

Here's the latest update photos.

...and a close up of the hairdo and the cracks...

... and a head shot.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:38 ]

T

Another update. Pool tiki almost dry:

and Pool Tiki, the outdoors incense burner.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:40 ]

i LIKE THE HAT!

T

Thanks Conga. That's about all I can say for it too. I don't like this one. Shouldn't have gold, the eyes are wrong. Too thin, Too long. Crummy wood. Ugh.

Update! I hated it so much, I recut his eyes. It didn't help much.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:41 ]

B

YES, I see that you have picked up the Finer uses for the Wecheer. The Recip carver is the ONLY tool that will allow detail like that. VERY Well Done! ILikeee

P

that's nice gap. looks like a smart guy there. lots of brains.

T

Thanks Ben and PDrake...

Ya know, Conga saw a hat on his head. I was originally thinking it was a headband and hair, but I think I like your observation the best: It looks like a headband and brains!

For those who may have seen the original post, I said he was done. He's not.
Here's the picture of him from the original post.

He's different now, and I'll post an update as soon as the polyurinate is dry.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:42 ]

T

Here it is at the Waterfall by the pool. All done now... notice the tiki torch... I moved the incense to the sides, and hollowed out a place for the torch, away from his face. Gotta use clean lamp oil in that torch!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:43 ]

J

The night shot with the tiki is killer.

Here is another bat link.

http://www.newguineaart.com/png-gallery/msfigures.html

JP

T

Hey JP! Those bats are so cool - 'm going to place an order for one today! 18 inches wide? He's BIG!

How cool is that?

Thanks a lot for the link!

T

My "carver's cramp" is over.

I was 'commissioned' to make another bat tiki - this one has a cape. He's walnut, and he's about 7.5 inches from wingtip to wingtip.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:43 ]

J

It's way too batty here! Glad to see you posting again! Congradulations on your commission.
JP

T

cool bat!! i like the color on it.....pretty cool!!

T

Thanks JP and Five-0!

My wife made me do it for my nephew - that was the commission :wink:

B

Way too Cool! Bats are getting better..

Hey tikigap- That bat is kitschy and cool! It reminds me of the kind of bat when Grandpa Munster turns into a bat on the Munsters.

T

Ok, I had to try Hanford's new "upload a photo" procedure.

Here's the latest hack job on a piece of walnut firewood I'm working on:

It is taking too long a time and it needs obviously lots of work, but at least I'm still carving :wink:

C

nice hack work Greg....looks just fine so far...what is he drinking? I am jealous cuz I am still
on a search for more basswood so I can't do any choppin'. In the meantime I can check out all
the new stuff...keep workin' on it! Put a bat somewhere in there!

T

Thanks for checkin' it out Conga!

That 'bottle' will go away soon. I'll replace it with a rock hammer for a geologist friend of mine.

Thanks again!

T

I removed the bottle, and instead of a rock hammer, he'll be holding a rock.
In this case, a geode. I still have the eyes and legs to do,
as well as a lot of sanding.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:44 ]

B

T-Gap. he's lookin good. A Little like a Monkeytiki but Cool.Bats are lookin Batty and you are coming right along..

T

Thanks Benz!

I made a lot of progress on him today. I'm finally able to dedicate some larger blocks of time to carving again.

I see Freddimon is a walnut convert now too! I really like that wood.

J

If all my firewood looked like that, I would live a very cold, but well decorated house. The hammer will look good, but I kinda liked the bottle idea.
JP

T

JP! Walnut burns really nice...

Here's the latest. Meet PineappleTiki.

It is lucky #13 for me.

Head shot - cool grain - layer of black underneath is quite prevalent.

Lookin down in his head - candle or something could go in there.

Closeup of the grain...

Closeup of the head...

Whole guy:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 23:52 ]

B

T-Gap, that layer of Black is really neat. I've never seen black walnut like that before and your carving Really picks it up Very well. Nice piece.

T

Thanks Ben! Your piece of walnut was right above this one on the tree. You got the black in there too.

Boy, have I learned a lot in the last few days.

1st - NEVER let someone else 'try their hand' at using sanding sealer on one of your carvings. This way you only will blame yourself if you screw it up. I let someone try, and now I'm sorry I did.

2nd - NEVER hit your piece with sanding sealer TWICE (to fix #1 problem, in this case)

3rd - NEVER use sanding sealer on walnut, period. It isn't necessary.

4th - NEVER apply polyurethane in the direct sunlight at 90+ degrees outside. It dries way too fast, and any micro-bubbles in it won't get a chance to pop before drying.

5th - Find a "profile sander". Porter cable makes a really nice one (#444, made in USA too). I love the sticky sandpaper (that you can get on a roll) for this device. When you wear out the sand paper, (because of the nature of a profile sander), not all the sandpaper is used up. This remaining sandpaper still has a sticky backing that attaches nicely to your fingers, and allows you to hand-sand some hard-to-get-at places. This stuff ROCKS.

I had to sand off two layers of sealer and one of polyurethane. Then I used dental tools to pick the poly out from between his teeth and some other detail spots. What a nightmare.

When carving walnut, Spend as much time as is possible to sand, sand, and sand some more - the first time. Hopefully you'll never have to come back like I did and remove the finish.

I have it sanded down smoother than a baby's ass right now, with no obvious signs of the previous screw up.

I'm looking for guidance on what I should finish it with this time. I've got oil based satin poly, oil based glass poly, beeswax, or tung oil. I tyhink this piece will live outside in the Washington DC suburbs. It can get up to 100 degrees here, or down to 0 degrees. Anywhere from 40% - 90% humidity.

What would you pick? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-30 17:39 ]

M

Awesome work TikiGap! This carve rocks!

I would go Glass Oil based Poly.

Mahalo

McTiki

T

On 2006-08-30 19:56, McTiki wrote:
Awesome work TikiGap! This carve rocks!

I would go Glass Oil based Poly.

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks McTiki - I used your suggestion - 4 coats - it came out pretty nice, considering it's history :wink:

Here's the finished product:
At the Farm, at night:

Side shot shows back of head as well as eyes:

Stand-alone, with geode:

And with his new 'master':

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-05 11:03 ]

F

WOW! TG that thing is cool! Way more intricate than my 1/3 of the log! Great eyes and overall detailing. Mine is finished with linseed oil and is kind of dull surfaced but natural looking, too. I think the grain colors aren't as varietal as yours as a result of the oil finish, though...

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 6:54 PM

Nice original Design there TikiGap! Very cool lines and detail. I love the finish.

McTiki

T

Thanks Freddimon and McTiki... that grain and color sure did come out nicely, I thought too. I got the bottom part of the log closest to the stump. Freddimon got the other end, and Benzart got the middle. I cant wait to see what BZ does with his!

I Appreciate the comps! Thanks again!

J

On 2006-09-05 07:00, tikigap wrote:

Here's the finished product:
At the Farm, at night:

I love these night shots with tikis all lit up. It really shows off the original style.
JP

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 2:07 PM

Very very nice!

T

Thanks to JP and McTiki! Sure am glad that one is done.

great work, tg! i like the geode in his hands. also, i think the mouth really came out well.

Great work TikiGap! Pineapple tiki just continued to change and evolve, really sweeet. A nice finish!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

T

Thanks a lot KingsTieDye and TravelingJones! That log did evolve a lot, almost into a nice piece of firewood. I almost killed that guy a couple of times, out of frustration. He's also the most blood-sucking piece I've worked on to date.

Thanks again!

T

So... I got a commission. It's walnut from the farm, of course. I'm callin' it Geeky Tiki. It is going to an electronics lab for a sales promotion, hence the antenna inlay in the headress (my first attempt at inlay).

Nice log:

Attempt at inlay with deer bone and abalone. (Thanks Ben!)
The hook knife got me!

He's holdin' the company logo:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-10-22 01:30 ]

M

Gap! Awesome art there. Your getting better and better, Yes, the hook will get you. Be careful!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

You have to remember NOT to put any Skin in the forward path of the hook, or it WILL Get you. The tikis are Always looking for a bite and when they see the chance, they Take it. Your Tiki looks Excellent too, Very traditional with a spot of T-Gap thrown in!

J

The inlay is a great addition to a wonderful tiki. How did you get the object he is holding so round?

When you bind and gag the tikis (like in the photo below) do they still bite when you carve them?

Nice work Gapper...also very impressed with the round globe. Have a mai tai on me!

OH Noooo... another runaway Tiki. The Tikis need blood as part of the ritual, then they will let you have your way with them...but keep him bound.

T

McTiki: Thanks for the props! But "art" might be too strong of a term, I'd say. This is number 14 - it's takin' a while, and I can tell there's still a long way to go.

Benzart: Damned! I know, I know... It kind of happened strangely tho... it sliced me just enuf for a few drops of blood. In fact, I didn't know I was cut until I saw the drop of blood on his eye. Thanks a lot for the props and havin' a look...

JohnnyP and IsleConch: He bit me because that big bastard wasn't tied down tight enuf (just kiddin'! see above). He's one heavy mother too. That ball is fairly round because I bought some more tools! I splurged last week and bought of couple of these bad boys:

They're great for carving round things. Indispensible, I should say. I got the big "V" tool too (not pictured).

Conga:! Good to hear from you, too! Thanks for the kind comments!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-10-23 18:48 ]

T

Here's a close-up of the globe with some more inlay. I used black coral for the letters (Thanks BenZ!). After a lot more sanding, that black stuff should come up really nice.

T

Here's Tiki 14 (AKA Geeky Tiki), completed, as the centerpiece at the customer's Luau yesterday. Believe it or not, I actually sold this one!

It's walnut, as usual, about 23 inches tall.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 28, 2006 1:04 PM

Nice tiki! Great job on the coral inlay, that looks like it was tough to do.
For some reason, that pic of him tied to your workmate with the strap through his mouth reminds me of "Silence of the Lambs".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies