Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

T

On 2006-01-22 22:21, hewey wrote:
Thats a great lookin tiki, especially for a second carving - sweet. Haha, you got the bug bad, it only deepens from hereon in. Welcome to the rabbit hole Alice... :)

(How'd I miss this post before?)

It really is looking more and more like a rabbit hole! thanks Hewey!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-14 13:52 ]

will spearman be fending off a raging boar while paddle man paddles away in a canoe?

i love the spearman. I would have left the chisel marks in with a light sand. keep up the good wook.

J

That will be a nice display. Be sure to post picts when you are done. I still think you should do a whole series of petroglyphs.
JP

That spearman is terrific! I love the way the wood is colored differently as you move down in the piece. Nice work.

T

Thanks you guys!

Pocky - I'll have to make a canoe too... hmmm.

Marcus - thanks for the comments - I thought about that, and actually did leave them on the top of the spear, but that doesn't show in the pics...

JohnnyP - Thanks for the compliements - and I will certainly post the finished pictures. There's a lot of petroglyphs - way more than I could do (unless I make that my specialty and ONLY make those for a while! (Which is very possible!)).

FinkDaddy - Thanks for noticing! It just worked out that way because it was the biggest piece I could get out of a small walnut log that wasn't checked. The lighness comes from the outer wood (sap layer?) of the walnut. I gotta locate some more of that kind of walnut - it's great to work with, too.

Here's a pic of a lot of petroglyphs I took last December at Kileauea:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:21 ]

T

Here's my latest update:

Not done yet! There will be an island, and sandy beach. Then I'm done until Coon Tiki - I wanna make a big lono...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:22 ]

F
foamy posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 5:20 AM

Hey TG, first time I perused this thread. What a cool thing(s) you've got going on. Beach, palm tree and figures— a carved vingette. Now that's some original thinking! I'm liking it. How ya gonna do the beach?

T

Thanks Foamy -

I'm thinkin' a little wooden island and glue some real sand onto it, and stick the tree out of the middle... any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P

maybe instead of real sand you could use sand paper.

keep up the good work, it looks great.

T

Here's the palm tree, starting to be finished with Sanding Sealer. Could I have used Tung Oil?

The little dudes are standing by for protection. I have a piece of walnut, apple, curly maple, cherry, pine and oak. Any suggestions on which I should use for the island?

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:23 ]

T

My Mom turned 79 tonight. She always wanted a tiki bar of her own, so my brother and I made one for her. Here's the link to some pictures of it:

http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/traderviv.htm

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 20:33 ]

H
hmc posted on Tue, Mar 21, 2006 7:03 PM

Wow, what a wonderful thing to have done. Your mum must be so proud! I'm sure she's hanging out in there right now!!!

T

Mahalo! and Yes she is - should have seen her face when we had the 'unveiling'. She almost cried!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-22 10:48 ]

B

Tikigap, I Love your Tropical island, it is really neat. The Tiki Bar you and your brother did for your mom is really incredible too. I Bet she cried when she saw that.
See ya' soon.

Aw, man. Where's the wooden monkey?? haha, just kidding. Anyways, that's an AWESOME bar you set up for your mom. Now i want one. I'll just have to wait.

T

Thanks you guys - we had fun whippin' that up. I also made her a sign yesterday and gave it to her last night unpainted - that's up to her. The sign is at the bottom of this link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/traderviv.htm

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 20:33 ]

T

Here's another update. I hacked out the base from a 2 inch think piece of walnut...

then sanded it a lot...

then sealed it tonight...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:26 ]

B

Awwright, Now yer talkin'

H
Helz posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:34 AM

I can't wait to see this one all finished up. I love the little Oar Man.

T

Thanks you guys -

It's been slow - I had too many irons in the fire, but that's over now. I'd like to finish this project up before CoonTiki and get hackin on some bigger, more tiki-like stuff!

T

Another "Island Scene" update. I screwed up the base something fierce, so when I get back from Coon Tiki I'll replace it.

I tried to put "sand" on the "beach", so first I used red garnet sand and mixed it into the polyurethane. But that was too dark, so I removed that and tried white sand. Really bad idea. I'm just going to use walnut, or oak maybe, like the wahine said to do in the first place. I'm beginning to hate this dumb little thing.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:27 ]

Instead of putting sand on the base, why not use wood and create a texture. Take the wood and smash it with a meat tenderizer - hammer. Stain it, sand it, hammer it and repeat. Its a nice wooden sculpture there's no reason to try and cover up the wood. Good luck.

T

Hey, now why didn't I think of that? Because I'm a NOOB! Thanks Aloha! I'll try that!

T

Ok, I trashed the old base, and made a new one. Carve #7 is done:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:29 ]

T

Carve #8 - Inspired by Tiki Diablo at Coon Tiki - Here's some progress pictures:

These three pictures were taken at Coon Tiki:

Here's tang with his litter mates: (Silverline's got a little too close to the fire last night)

This one is in my backyard, before burning:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:32 ]

C

hey...nice little tiki scene GAP....good job on the tang too.

T

Hey thanks Conga! Here's a picture of him all done, hanging outside on the fence...he looks darker on the left that the right in this picture, but it isn't.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:33 ]

8T

Way to finish him off right Gap! I think Silverline could have had his look like that if he didn't leave it so close to the fire too long. HAHA

T

Here's "BatTiki" - a little guy I carved this weekend...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:36 ]

Great frikkin' concept TikiGAP...we ain't seen nothin' like that around here! I dig it
a lot.

T

Thanks Conga! - I was thinking about doing some caving again this spring... caving and carving... carving and caving... hmmm... BATS!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 6:37 PM

Great Creeping Chiroptera TikiGap! Very nice nocturnal placental flying mammal-tiki!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-04-16 18:39 ]

oh my god! El Chupacabra! great work!

T

Thanks you guys! It was fun to make. I'm still awaiting a large log or two, ands then I'll get down to real work.

T

Here he is with more detail and a little sanding. I think I'll try tung oil on him. Check out the opposing claw feet so he can hang on to something upside down.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:37 ]

Now that's the kinda thing that makes me smile! But then, all your work has made me smile!

Like it...like the engineering on the feet, too.

P

i like. you should make him smaller also for pendants. what a cool idea.

S

I think the scorched mask was actually mine, or skip's.

Hey GAP, thanks again for the Falernum. I have not had the Fee Brother's. I am set for a good year of mixing, unless I have a gang of tiki people over and make a large batch of good drinks. Wish I had known you were bringing that, I could have made better drinks!

T

On 2006-04-18 06:28, Swanky wrote:
I think the scorched mask was actually mine, or skip's.

Hey GAP, thanks again for the Falernum. I have not had the Fee Brother's. I am set for a good year of mixing, unless I have a gang of tiki people over and make a large batch of good drinks. Wish I had known you were bringing that, I could have made better drinks!

Hi Tim,

You're welcome!

I've only used a little Fee Bros. fallernum in one drink so far, so please let me know how Fee Bros. stacks up!

B

TikiGap, Nice Bat Tiki, cool idea. What kind of wood izzit? Looks like Mahogany, nice carving.
I see Hook knife tracks there?
Nice job on your Coon Tiki Mask too. I'm glad you finished it up..

T

Thanks Ben! (and everyone else!)

Yeah! The hook knife RULES! I'm really likin' that thang. Thanks for showing me (us) how to use it!

It's walnut. I tung oiled it last night... gonna buff it a little and reapply some more tung to it, then I should have 'er licked. I'll repost the final pics tonight.

Nice work Tikigap, I love the "BatTiki", I was wondering if you would like to make a couple for "Tiki's and Terrors II" Aug 26th 2006

That little batiki is so cute!
Great idea.

T

Yeah Swanky I tourched my mask. But then it's an ancient tradition to burn your mask after the ceremony is over. Maybe that's why a tornado almost took you guys out! You pissed off the gods.

T

On 2006-04-17 20:59, pdrake wrote:
i like. you should make him smaller also for pendants. what a cool idea.

Thanks for the props PDrake - small ones would be pretty cool - I'll try one and see what happens.

Thanks to TikiWahini and DarkTiki too... maybe I could crank out a couple more!

T

I went to the farm this weekend to get some wood. The "Log Weight Calculator" estimates that this oak weighs 441 pounds. It is 17 inches in diameter at one end, and 18 inches at the other, and it is 4 feet long:

The walnut below was dead and down, and not yet rotted. It's small, but very nice:

I also have the root ball for this walnut tree, but no pictures of it yet. I'm going to clean it off tonight and we'll see what I get.

Now I can get started on some big stuff.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:39 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies