Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

M

Bat Tiki = verrry coool. Nice nice job!

B

Man, I would be Batty myself If I were there in Log Heaven. I'm SO Jealous for all that wood I just can't see straight I just Don't know what to say!!

T

Thanks McTiki!

Hey! Bring up a truck Ben - we'll load ya up!

J

Great score on the logs, I'd love to try a piece of walnut. The bat tiki is growing on me. The fire pit looks like a fun spot to spend weekend nights in the summer.
JP

B
Bete posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 1:26 PM

That bat tiki is a very clever and cool idea, very cool.

T

Thanks for the cudos Bete and JohnnyP! Battiki's growing on me too. I like it better each day - I was very critical/skeptical at first. That fire pit has burned a hell of a lot of walnut, I'm sorry to report. That won't ever happen again, at least not with me around.

My son and I pressure washed the walnut this afternoon and got the bugs and bark off it - and it looks great. Here's the stump, full of cool detail. It's pretty gnarly (sp) in there.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:40 ]

T

A couple of other things I worked on this past weekend. I'm roughing out a moai from a beautiful piece of cherry and I started whittlin' this walnut club about 10 years ago up at the farm, and last weekend I picked it up and added a happy face to the handle. I still don't know what to make of it yet. I might add a few more faces around it on each side (3 sides) - one neutral disposition, and the other angry.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:44 ]

Tikigap,

Your picture of that big oak log by the campfire conjures up a nice carving mood. There's nothing like carving outdoors and that looks like the perfect spot to do it. Great hanging with & the boys at C-T. Enjoy all of that free wood - it looks like you're ready to carve up a storm!

A-A

T

Yo AA! Thanks!

Good to hear from ya again... Tennessee was great! I'm still blown away by it - How did I get to hang with the major carvers? Man...

The Farm is a cool place... the fire pit has lots of good karma (except for the burned walnut!). Let me know when you're in town.

gap

T

BatTiki #1 final picture:

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:47 ]

Goin batty in the Buick. That is perfect. Good job.

Nice bat TikiGAP....what model Buick is that....let me guess....an old Skylark? I sell
Buicks and I know it's not a new one!

Man, I think you oughta resin-cast that little tiki-bat and sell 'em! I think you'd do really well with him. I'd buy one! He's COOL!

8T

HOLY REAR VIEW-MIRROR PENDANT BATMAN!

VERY NICE! I see you weren't kidding when you told me at Coontiki that you had a Walnut farm! Let's see more.

T

8ft! Perfect! Thanks!

Conga...!!! Thanks for noticing! It's an '87 Regal Limited. I know where all the miles came from. It's a cream puff! I love this car.

That would be an understatement.

It's a 307 v8 totally stock with a rochester 4bbl. It's a dog, but it's still fun. I gave it to my kid when he became an Eagle Scout, so I guess it's not my car, technically.

So one night, the car got wrecked, http://mysite.verizon.net/gapearce/TheBigOldBuick.htm

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 20:37 ]

Nice work, Gap. That walnut will hold major detail and very tight...my favorite wood.

T

Hey Thanks BK! I love walnut too. It smells really good too.

B

I think you've gone Batty... And Well done too. Were you ever the "Bat Boy" when you were a kid??
Keep up the good work.

J

The more I think about the bat tikis, the more I think they would look cool hanging in the rafters or palm fronds of a tiki bar helping that layered look. Also bats are a common theme in PNG carvings.
JP

T

I've started another bat tiki. This one will be flying. My mom also suggested that I make a few for up under the raffia fringe around the top of her tiki bar! That's a great idea JohnnyP! Yeah, I'm batty I guess!

T

Bat Tiki #2 (and 3) - came out of the walnut I got at the Farm last weekend. It started out as a hunk of log, and I used a band saw to get the rough shape.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:48 ]

8T

Your mom has a tiki bar?! How cool is that? Cool Battiki too.

T

Hey 8FT! Thanks for the cool pic!

On 2006-04-27 19:51, Raffertiki wrote:
Your mom has a tiki bar?! How cool is that? Cool Battiki too.

Thanks Raffertiki - yes! She's got her own tiki bar. Here's a link to some pictures:

Trader Viv's Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-09-29 20:45 ]

Jumpin' Jehosafats GAPMAN!!!

SsweeetT Wal-tikis ya got goin' there!...maybe you carve the buggahs other poses, make a mold and do resin casting with real polynesian guano?...ala Coco Joe's (Guano Gap's - 'BaTiKi')TeeHee Central!!! :lol:

On Tonga, the flying fruit fox are considered sacred...while in Fiji & Samoas they are considered a delicacy...mmmM YUMMMY!

Keep up the great workz and checkout the low hanging fruit on this one...!!! :o

flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp...TravelingJones

T

Yo TJ! That's it! Guano Gap! I love it!

I think the guano would add the realistic element (excrement?) unlike any other! Great Idea! Thanks for the hit up! How do I make a mold of this? I can use some pointers here. Has that guy got 4 balls?

I had to stop work on the cherry wood mentioned previously - it's cracking and checking too badly. It's been drying for more than 14 months - I thought it would be ok - but nope.... the checks are really bad. It has to stabilize more before I mess with it again.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-04-28 23:58 ]

T

By the way TravellinJ - thanks for the bat picture. It's a good example I can use!

H0 G-Gap!

tikigap saiz:

"How do I make a mold of this? I can use some pointers here. Has that guy got 4 balls?"

Dunno much about makin' da poopie resin molds...-BUT- try your CoonTiki pal Crazy Al cause he's got a creative hand in the resin tiki market?!?! As for our flying fruity mandingo...just a heavy plantain among the macadamias!

Chow for now....Flip-fl0p-flipPp....

T

New stuff. Flying Bat #2

PS: Mr. Jones... thanks for the tip (and props!)

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:51 ]

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 6:00 AM

There are (were) bats at Hale Tiki from Papua New Guinea. They had very prominate genitals covered by little loin clothes.

M
McTiki posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 8:55 AM

They're called Fanihi in Chamoro (Guam) they look just like flying foxes and get huge there. I spent 4 years there. Awesome times.

Beautiful work Gap!

Mahaloz

T

Hey! There's dongs on tangs - why not on bats? Hmmm. Loin cloths! Cool twist! Hmmm! Thanks guys!

T

Update.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:52 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 11:53 PM

Cool bat tiki! Love the concept of it and the carving is great too :)

F
foamy posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 5:13 AM

Hey TikiGap, I liked the first bat—real, original thinking. Looking forward to this next one.

B

Cool workings TGap, Love the smile. The New batis looking better than the first. Loin cloths?? Horny Bats?? What would Batman say? Forget that, what would ROBIN Say?

S
Swanky posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 6:26 AM

Actually, there are vaginas on the bats too. You can find both sexes in PNG carvings.

T

Hey thanks for the props you guys - Swanky - I might make one of those for myself. The more the merrier, I always say.

I thought I'd post a couple of my own pictures from my very own Benzart from Coon-Tiki.

Can you guess which side I carved?

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 09:57 ]

T

Battiki 1 and 2 finished:

BatTiki #1

Battiki #2

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:34 ]

M

Awesome carves Gap!!! Keep em coming.

T

Thanks McTiki! I'm moving on to bigger things starting right now. I know I've threatened this before, but I got all my family covered now on the little stuff they wanted. So now the weather's nice and I'm switching gears. We'll see what oozes out of the bottom part of my brain next.

I really like these little guys! Maybe because they're just good, silly fun, but they make me chuckle. I still say there's a market for these!

I like the flying one best! You should put him on a ceiling fan, or find another way to terrify kids with him...
By the way, how's that foredom treating you?

T

Hey thanks everyone! Especially Silverline - your 'props' are very appreciated (pun intended! :wink: ).

Kapu - the foredom has let me down. I think I expected too much from it. The rotary part works great, and is really good for fine detail sanding and such. It helped me do the teeth on bat tiki 2. But as far as the Wecheer reciprocating hand piece, I've blown up two of them since I got the device at Coon Tiki.

I'm awaiting the 2nd replacement unit again from Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers (SMW). Those guys are really good - I'll buy all my carving stuff from them, and I recommend them - they are reasonably priced and the service is really good.

They replaced the first weecher in a couple of days. The 2nd one, well, I'm still waiting for it, but they said they sent me a new one just the other day. They were helpful in determining what I was doing wrong with that hand piece: using it to remove too much wood from very hard woods like walnut (of course, my favorite), and cherry.

It doesn't say anywhere in the Wecheer documentation that it should not be used on those woods, and it also doesn't state anywhere that it shouldn't be used for lots of wood removal. The guys at SMW suggest that I just use it for detail on those woods and get an Arbortech heavier-duty power chisel for the heavy work.

That's okay because I love to buy, have, and use tools. But it is getting expensive. I should mention that SMW has replaced the Wecheer under warrantry, and that it has just cost me postage on the 2nd one. I was hoping to get the 2nd back today or this weekend. We'll see.

I started a new carve today - a Moai - about 3 feet high - out of dogwood! It's some scrap log I had layin around, and I wanted to test my skill at chain saw/lancelot carving on it before I ruined a nice piece of walnut. Dogwood - who wudda thunk it. It's actually pretty nice wood! I post a picture tomorrow.

Update

I got a new Wecheer today from SMW... works great!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:35 ]

T

Tiki 11 almost done.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-05-20 00:34 ]

T

update

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 10:36 ]

J

Here is a link to some PNG bats for sale.

http://www.magellantraders.com/new-guinea-figures-fetishes.htm

JP

T

Thanks for the link JP!

Wow! $125 for those! I better get on it... heh heh!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-05-23 07:15 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies