Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NW Tiki Crawl 2006 Official Announcement!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

T

Here's the news you've all been waiting for!

TIKI-KON: NW Tiki Crawl 2006
Friday, June 23-Sunday, June 25

This year, the NW Tiki Crawl digs its toes in at Portland's premier boutique motel, The Jupiter, and transforms into the NW Tiki-Kon!

Rums provided by 3D Spirits (and others to be announced), tikirific decorations by Bamboo Craftsman, live music, tiki drinks, plenty of shopping time with your favorite tiki vendors, Selector Lopaka’s exotic music mix, social time, The Original NW Tiki Home Bar Tour (with new bars this year!), an exclusive preview of new tiki bar Grass Skirt, and chat with all your favorite tiki friends.

Here is our current schedule (subject to change for the better):

Friday: Kick-Off Party at the infamous Castaway Cove, home of Tikimaxton & Pele. This will be for full weekend Crawlers only to get to know your fellow tikiphiles and enjoy the Cove’s famed hospitality. Food & drinks provided.

Saturday: There will be gatherings at Portland tiki bars: (soon to be closed!) Jasmine Tree and the venerable Alibi. Then the Tiki-Kon really gets going that evening at the Jupiter, with Bands! Vendors! Drinks! Socializing! Raffle with Fabulous Prizes! Mysterious Other Things!

Full Weekend crawlers will also be treated to an EXCLUSIVE preview of Portland's newest tiki bar, Grass Skirt (not yet open to the public!)

Sunday: A special Tiki-Kon Brunch at the Alibi, followed by The Original NW Tiki Home Bar Tour, which this year will include new home bars (transportation provided). The group will then return to the Jupiter for the weekend farewell - allowing more time for shopping, socializing, and maybe a little drinking at the nearby Doug Fir.

The NW Tiki-Kon will once again feature a commemorative mug designed by our own Tikitronic.

Saturday Jupiter Event Only: $20.00
Full Weekend (No Mug): $39.00
Full Weekend (With Mug): $49.50
Collector’s Special: Add a mug to a ticket $15.00

The tickets will go on sale on Monday, May 1 so watch http://www.nwtiki.com

Please feel free to post to our boards (http://forum.nwtiki.com) or here at TC or email any of us @nwtiki.com with questions! We’ve done our best to provide you with a bigger event for less money.

Heather Gregg ~ Tikimama
[email protected]

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2006-04-27 13:40 ]

[ Edited by: tikimama 2006-04-27 20:22 ]

M

Greetings -

Tickets are now on sale at

http://www.nwtiki.com/store.html

Expect a prettier store and site coming SOON!

-=C

Just a note about Sunday - Brunch is on The Alibi, for those who buy tickets on the home bar tour. This is thanks to our good friend and sponsor, Larry White, owner of the World Famous Alibi. I encourage you all to book soon, as the home bar tour will fill up quickly!

Well I'm all signed up
Can't wait to see all my favorite Northwestern Tikifiles again!

PLT

Bought our tickets....woohoo!

Anybody from Medford want to ride up with me?

T

Hey Pepe, you wouldn't be interested in vending, would ya?

PLT

Thanks Tikimama but not this time. We'll just be partying & drinking masses with the masses. However, I'm always searching for potential newfangled things to sell in my store and I'm looking forward to meeting the Tiki-Kon venders & artists!

T

Can't blame a girl for tryin'! If anyone is interested in vending (there will be a lot more vending time this year!) please contact me ([email protected]) or anyone at the NW Tiki Team (we can be found at http://www.nwtiki.com)

Hey gang! If you're thinking about staying at the Jupiter and haven't booked your room yet, you may want to think about doing it right away - the rooms we've set aside around the courtyard where the action will be Saturday (and where all the cool kids will be staying) are booking up pretty fast. If you want to be in the middle of the action, get ye to the Jupiter website soon!

[ Edited by: thehipster 2006-05-19 11:39 ]

Hey gang, check out the new, official NW Tiki Kon website at http://www.nwtiki.com - amazing work by our own TikiTronic! I think you'll agree that it looks fantastic, and we hope it reflects all the fun and excitement of the upcoming NW Tiki Kon. If you haven't bought your tickets yet, now's your chance! Remember that the "cool" rooms at Jupiter are booking up fast, and that the home bar bus is now over half full. Get in while you can!

Coming up from So. Cal for a visit and a cocktail. Can't wait to meet you all!

The full weekend tickets are now officially SOLD OUT. We've filled the Bus up for Sunday's home bar tour!

If you would like to be put on a waiting list in case of cancellations, please email [email protected]. First emailed, first in line!

Thanks for everyone who purchased tickets! It's foing to be Exotic Enchantment and Adventure!

Mahalo!

K
Kim posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 11:00 AM

Just because it's exciting-- I'd like to point out that this year's Crawl sold out in 22 days!
Thank you all for buying tickets-- it will be another terrific event this year!

Tickets are still available for the main Saturday event at the Jupiter, which will feature our own beloved Selector Lopaka spinning exotica, along with two great Portland bands, Mars Needs Women and Lisa and Her Kin!
Mars Needs Women is an up-and-coming surf band that's widely rumored to be the next big thing.
Lisa and Her Kin is a rockabilly/hillbilly band that will be coming in some some new exotica tunes specifically for Tiki Kon! And, speaking from personal experience, Lisa and Her Kin rocks quite effectively! (featuring our own Maori Man on drums!)

The Jupiter event will also feature tiki vendors-- including TC's Seamus--hula girls bearing drinks, the ever-popular raffle, a full bar & food by Salvador Molly's, purveyors of some of Portland's best exotic food & drinks! (They're even coming up with some special items just for us! Rumor has it that Trader Vic's Mai Tais and Zombies will be featured!)

So if you didn't manage to get a full weekend ticket, you can still come to the party at the Jupiter, buy a limited-edition mug for $15 on-site, and have a grand time listening to good music, checking out cool stuff, and sopping up tropical cocktails until you have to be dragged to your Jupiter hotel room!

Annual NW Tiki Kon!
If you missed 2005, come this year!
Visit http://www.nwtiki.com for more information.

[ Edited by: Kim 2006-05-19 11:19 ]

Let's be clear here - the full weekend packages are sold out, so there are no more seats on the home bar tour bus, but there's PLENTY of room for Saturday's Tiki-Rific (sorry) Extravaganza. Live Music! Vendors! Custom Carved Ice-Luge with Pyrat rum! Pyrat Rum Hula Girls handing out samples! Out world-famous Raffle! It's not all about the home bar tour, folks - there's much more fun to be had at the 2006 NW Tiki Kon. Buy your tickets today!

End hype

Craig, thanks for the email head's up about tickets selling so quickly!

we're on the bus!!

but we're not staying at the Jupiter.. those low beds just kill us old folks!

On 2006-05-19 22:24, dogbytes wrote:

but we're not staying at the Jupiter.. those low beds just kill us old folks!

But oh so much easier to throw a leg out and touch the floor to stop the 'room zooms'.

We're on the bus too!! And for us very much older people...where does the quote 'either you're on the bus or you're off the bus' come from? Honestly. I can't remember!

we're on the bus!!

yayyyyy!

Tiki KON Tiki KON!

On 2006-05-21 11:58, Tikiwahine wrote:

we're on the bus!!

yayyyyy!

Tiki KON Tiki KON!

I second that!

M

So would anyone be excited by a sneak preview of the mug, then?

Mug me!

no wait that didn't come out right

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I can say I have seen the final sculpt and it brought me to tears (no so much cause it rocked so hard but because Tikitronic punched me!). It is dead sexy and very reminiscent of Andres Bumatay's Islander Mug (Pg. 9 of Tiki Quest) but with a different mouth. Can't wait can't wait can't wait..... oh I think I wet myself.......

On 2006-05-21 22:04, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I second THAT!

Enough with the teasing, I've changed my panties twice already!

The winds have blown favorably in our direction and Humu and I are going to be there ... I can't wait!

That's great news!
The Doug Fir had better brace itself for our fur-fondling presence!

H

I need more pictures of that chrome moose!

The Chrome Moose Rocks

I thought it was a mercury glass moose.

Either way...if someone can create a big enough diversion.... I have a screwdriver and a crowbar... I believe we could have us that moose. Wouldn't be the first time I 'liberated' a moose from a bar.

M

psst. mug pics over at the TIKI KON forum...

http://forum.nwtiki.com/viewtopic.php?p=530#530

Chrome, glass, all I know is it's cool as all hell!

M

Hey People, we're about 4 weeks away!

B

Any tips for other excellent things to do in and around Portland? I'm in town for extra days (TH-T) and would like to catch some of the more unique aspects of Portland. Have been v. sad since the Church of Elvis closed a few years back and would welcome some new diversions (besides the already presented, v. wonderful weekend activities). Any help??

T

Betty-we are going to put together a little Guide to Portland for Tikiphiles in the program, with places to visit, shopping, eating, etc.

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2006-06-05 15:05 ]

..bummer..i'll be in seattle from july 21-25....missed it by that much!! anyway, never been to seattle but if anyones not too hungover from the crawl i wouldn't mind hangin out and checkin out the scene there....

T

Attendees: would you be interested in a bus at an additional small fee (under $10) for the Saturday trips to the Alibi and the Jasmine Tree?

The other non-bus options are:

1. Car (if you have one)
  2. walk (1/4 mi) + public transport (which is excellent in Portland)
  3. taxi

If there is enough interest in a bus I will book one, I wasn't sure if people would use it!

Count 2 here for the bus.

T

Count me in for the bus!

So you have a little time to kill in Portland? About three blocks up Broadway St. from the Jupiter Hotel is Hippo Hardware. If you are fixing up an old house or just like looking at old door knobs, this is the place.

M

keep them travel tips coming. I will need some guidance on my first trip to Portland.

psyched !!!

D

ooh Powell's Books and Voodoo Donuts.

Jeff and I hit a great breakfast spot close to the Jupitor, it can seat many, has a great menu and big portions. Also, it has all sorts of quilts on display and a big separate(blocked off) room for kids to play in. I think it was called 'Mom's' or something like that?

I also remember hitting a bunch of awesome vintage shops, one had at least three tretchikoffs for sale, and the other had great clothing. Also, we went to a great Mexican joint for lunch, run almost exclusively by lesbians. At night it turns into quite the gay friendly hang-out! I can't remember the name, but I felt that 'The Pink Taco' would have been perfect. It was also quite close to the Jupitor, in a neat shopping district.

M

Well the Breakfast place is called Old Wives Tales and is located just up from the Jupiter about 4 blocks or so.

Not to clear on the Lesbian Mexican Joint though............

We are going to be putting together a program that will have a guide to the hipper places around town to catch!

See you all in three and a half weeks!

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2006-06-06 21:04 ]

T

The lesbian taco joint is called Dingo's at 4612 SE Hawthorne Blvd. The Pink Taco would be a great name!

We will have a little guide/map to Portland, there is a lot of great shopping in that neighborhood!

Man, Portland is cool. I hope they have a place for Moluccan lesbian midgets like me.

On 2006-06-07 12:11, Jungle Trader wrote:
Man, Portland is cool. I hope they have a place for Moluccan lesbian midgets like me.

Geeze man, where were you when I needed a little person to bartend while wearing a gorilla costume at my wedding?

M

On 2006-06-07 12:11, Jungle Trader wrote:

You know, I'll just bet we do. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies