Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NW Tiki Crawl 2006 Official Announcement!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

On 2006-06-06 20:56, Maori_man wrote:
Well the Breakfast place is called Old Wives Tales and is located just up from the Jupiter about 4 blocks or so.

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2006-06-06 21:04 ]

I looked up Old Wives' Tales and it says it has a play area for kids, was generally overpriced but the food was good and the wait staff was horrible. It's on the 1300 block of Burnside.

Could this be the same place?

That's the place, we had great service and found the prices to be good. The staff was very friendly, the whole place had a very relaxed vibe to it.

M

On 2006-06-08 16:11, Tikiwahine wrote:
That's the place, we had great service and found the prices to be good. The staff was very friendly, the whole place had a very relaxed vibe to it.

Yep, that's always been my experience there. Their Hungarian Mushroom soup (we always seem to be having dinner there) is DELICIOUS.

T

Hey, Kids! If anyone hasn't let me know if they are planning to be on the School of Rum bus for Saturday's tiki bar crawl, let me know SOON!

I am only going to book the bus if we get enough people (it is a BRIGHT YELLOW school bus, if we get 30 people, it is only $10 a person) so let me know! Only 12 of you have emailed me so far (our of 50 on the full weekend).

This is your chance to re-live your high school years the right way (drunk!). Avoid all the hassle of driving or navigating a public bus (drunk).

Does this mean we're going to be on the 'short bus'? ..... I knew it was bound to happen at some point.

I TRIED to get a short bus (sorry, a "special education bus") but apparently they are not practical for adults, sober or otherwise. So we get a regular schoolbus! Just like band camp!

If I don't get 31 people by June 21 (next Weds) I will have to cancel and you'll all have to WALK! I know you all don't have practical walking shoes!

Can we maybe look into something like a church van? Those huge regular vans that hold about a dozen?

I'd be willing to pay more to secure a bus or van. It's cheaper than a DUI and I'm sick of being the designated driver!

How can we help?

Yes, lets' do what Dancin' Lizard just said. I want to buy him/her a drink dammit. Or maybe I'll be the designated driver. I did it down here for the Hooptylau, I could do it again for my friends.

sorry if Im blind but I dont see a schedule listed anywhere that shows the actual times of the home crawl, bus pick ups, dinners etc.

What time to things start on Friday and Saturday?

guidance is appreciated.

T

MM, we are still hashing out the schedule! Fitting all this into one weekend is tough.

We will have program for full weekenders chock full of info, including a schedule.

I will also post one here as soon as we have it (I expect this weekend).

The new web site is looking killer! I love the little iconic tikis on the front page. Great job guys!

The bus will be a great place to chat, sign up now for a guaranteed designated driver.

On 2006-06-14 12:18, Jungle Trader wrote:
Yes, lets' do what Dancin' Lizard just said. I want to buy him/her a drink dammit.

Taking you up on that!

See you there!

On the other hand...you have more fingers.

[ Edited by: Dancin' Lizard 2006-06-15 10:29 ]

Can we perhaps take the money that has been collected and see if we can rent a couple of large vans for the day? Hertz has to have something that would do.

K
Kim posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 10:51 AM

I'm sure TikiMama is planning to reply soon, but just to keep you all in the loop:
A school bus is the most economical chartered option by quite a bit-- a 15-passenger van is over $100 more than a school bus (that seats over 40) for the same amount of time.

As far as renting a van (or two) and having a few designated drivers-- that's a great idea, but we're not sure if that opens up liability issues for us. We'll keep working on it-- but the cheapest & simplest option would be to get a dozen or so more people on the school bus!

bump ditty bump

Im leavin on a jet plane....

T

Hey Kids! Here is the Official Schedule. Let me know if you have questions. I am still looking for School of Rum bus riders! At the moment, we have 16 people which makes the cost $16.50 a pop. Only 10 more needed! Tour tiki bars in the luxury Blue Bird, just like you had at Band Camp! Avoid nasty DUI charges! Avoid tweakers on the cross-town bus!

Let me know if you have any questions--PM or [email protected] I am looking forward to seeing you all!

Tiki Kon
Friday June 23

7:00pm Kick off party at Castaway Cove
Get your badges and gift bags!

Saturday June 24

2:00pm Meet in front of the Jupiter to
get the bus ($10 if we get ~25 riders)
2:30pm The Alibi
5:00pm The Jasmine Tree
7:00pm Return to The Jupiter
7:00pm Doors open for the evening event! Vendors! Food! Drinks!
7-8:00pm DJ Selector Lopaka
8:15pm Mars Needs Women
9:45pm Lisa and Her Kin
11:00pm DJ Selector Lopaka
1am Jupiter closes

Sunday June 25

11:00am Meet in front of the Jupiter to get the bus
11:30-1:30 Brunch at the Alibi
1:30-7pm The Original NW Tiki Home Bar Tour,
including sneak preview of Thatch

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2006-06-19 09:15 ]

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2006-06-20 11:13 ]

Thanks for the schedule! I'm a first-time crawler - are you going to e-mail us directions to Castaway Cove? I have no idea where it's located...

Hey All-I have sent out directions to the Castaway Cove Friday night party to the email you registered with (usually the one tied to your Paypal, etc). Let me know if you all have any quesions! [email protected]

On 2006-06-19 09:07, TikiMama wrote:
School of Rum bus riders! At the moment, we have 16 people which makes the cost $16.50 a pop. [ Edited by: TikiMama 2006-06-19 09:15 ]

Personally...I'm in for another $6.50 if you don't make your quota. It's a small price to pay to not have to drink and drive....

...okay, I don't HAVE to drink and drive.... you know what I mean!

S

When and where does the vending take place?

Some vendors have opted to set up a baby vending at the Friday night kickoff.

The vending will be available all Saturday evening in the DreamBox (which is right off the Jupiter courtyard).

The DreamBox is also open for vendors if they would like to be open to the public(and Tiki Koners who want more shopping!) all day Sunday, until 8pm.

Seamus--you should have received all that in an email? Let me know if I should send you the info again.

RB

Be sure to check out my post on the great feature story in today's Oregonian on NW Tiki Kon!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19994&forum=1

If you're in the area, be sure to pick up a copy of today's paper!

K
Kim posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 9:01 AM

Hey Tiki Kon people-- I have a request!

Could anyone who is staying at the Jupiter Hotel please either PM or email me at kim(nospam)@nwtiki.com (take out the (nospam)!) with your real name (the one you booked under) number of rooms, and dates at the Jupiter? The number of rooms that are booked & counted as part of our block seems a little low, and I want to check that out (we're wondering if people booked & somehow didn't get counted as part of the block).

Thanks in advance!

[ Edited by: Kim 2006-06-22 09:04 ]

Heading for the airport!! See you all tomorrow night!!! Am sooo excited!!

I had a wonderful time. Portland is a beautiful city. Thanks Tikimaxton, Tikimama, Melintur, Tikitronic, Kim and everyone else who busted their butt to show us all a great weekend.

Will the real Hanford Lemoore please stand up?

Lets see the pics folks!! I was too busy working the Kon all weekend to take many. Post away!!! I saw a ton of cameras flashing!

M

Whew! We did it! Another NW Tiki Crawl executed with precision by our outstanding cadre of collaborators.

I hope everybody had a blast! Let's see those pics!

D

ohmygosh, how many times can i say THANK YOU thankyouthankyouthankyou) to let you know how wonderful the Portland Kon was? the Jupiter was chock-full o tiki, the Alibi and its staff were awesome, the bus trip to the home bars and Thatch was a blast. the bands were swell ~ and the vendors had great new stuff for us to buy..

i didnt bring a camera... so those of you who were shutterbugs..post please!!

elicia

H

I had such a wonderful time at the Crawl -- thank you so much to all of the event organizers. You guys put so much love and effort not just into your annual event, but also into making Portland a tiki-friendly town year-round, and the fruits of your labors are much appreciated.

The Alibi is looking gorgeous, and it was fun to hear the stories from the ongoing restoration effort. So many new details to see every time I go in there -- I'm already looking forward to seeing it again, and also to seeing Portland's newest tiki bar, Thatch, once it opens... Robertiki's plans sound very promising.

It was great fun getting to meet new folks like Tigerlily, Robertiki and the Rum Demons -- my only regret (which I seem to have after every event) is that I didn't take the time to introduce myself to more people. Even I get shy sometimes. :blush: I've got to get better about that.

And, of course, it was fantastic to spend a whole bunch of time with old friends I haven't seen in a while, like Tiki Wahine, tikibars, Melintur, TikiMama, Kim, Tikitronic, Monkeyman, dogbytes, puamana, Selector Lopaka, seamus & Jauna, Travellin' Tiki, Jungle Trader & Cheryl, Pepe le Tiki... -- I'm so pleased to hear that darned near everybody is going to be at Hukilau, so I'm going to get even more time with everybody soon.

Like an idiot, I brought my camera but forgot my memory card, but Hanford has a few pictures of the Alibi -- don't think he has any of people, I'm afraid. He's not quite as snap-happy as I am.

KH

A big muchos gracias to all those who organized this past weekend - you guys did a fantastic job. Another huge thanks to those who opened up their homes to us - you're an inspiration to the rest of us. What a great rum-filled weekend.Thanks again.

[ Edited by: Kirk H. 2006-06-26 22:00 ]

Whew, I'm home at last. This past weekend has been a fantastic one. The organizers once again outdid themselves and pulled off a fault free event for us to remember for a long time to come.

Thank you to everyone involved in this year's festivities; organizers, vendors, musicians, the great staff at the Alibi & Jasmne Tree, home bar owners, and also to friends new & old.

I can't wait 'till next year when I can again enjoy the company of the northwest contingent, and all who have travelled from near and far.

the liver is evil and must be punished

I guess I'll start my post with a picture. Can't believe the first 24 hours post event yields only ONE photo thus far. Well, I can believe it. I didn't take many snaps either. Sorry folks. All I shot was something I KNEW I'd never get a chance to photograph again...

It's Robertiki in a dirt pile! Woooo hooo!

Ok, it's more than that. It's Robertiki standing behind the future bar at Portland's first new tiki haunt in forever, Thatch. There he is, trying to get us all to imagine ourselves swept away from our workaday lives into a tropical wonderland of you know the rest. It's going to be amazing, folks.

I'd also like to extend big time holla to all the people that made Tiki Kon possible: the organizers, open-house(bar) homeowners, Alibi, Jasmine Tree, and Jupiter staff, vendors, the bands, sponsors, everyone. You know who you are and you are awesome. It was also very nice to finally meet a bunch o TCers face to face. It's sooo easy to strike up a conversation with any one of you. As a shy person I have to remember that at future events. The ice is well broken. You are all beautiful people. Naming names will just reveal my terrible memory and I don't want anyone to feel unloved.

Having said that...

Super big thanks to Heather, Seamus, and Woofmutt for the great art I won at the raffle. Katie and I were triple blessed with prizes. Said art shall inherit places of honor in our up and coming tiki sanctuary.

A wonderful crawl and a wonderful time, I look forward to many happy tiki years to come.

-Joe (and probably Katie too because I know she had a good time)

Just arrived after a long drive (with a stop at Trader Vics for lunch with Dogbytes & Tikiwahine!) and I have to say I had a blast this weekend!! My liver will take some time to recover.
THANKS to all the folks that worked so hard so we could play, you guys did a great job!! Also a big thanks to the folks that opened up their home bars and kept us drinking under the hot Portland sun! And finally, Robertiki, thanks for the peek, I can't wait to see your bar when it opens.
It was great meeting new folks and partying with the usual suspects and I can't wait for the next opportunity to gather (and wreak havoc on our livers once again).
I definitely want to return to Portland to drink with the locals (maybe at Thatch when it opens) and shop in those great mid-century antique shops!!!
I actually used my camera this time so I'll try and get my photos up tomorrow!

Thank you from Kat and I. We had a fun time! I enjoyed visiting Portland, dining and drinking at the Alibi and Jasmine Tree, seeing Robertiki's work in progress, and hanging out and socializing with the many wonderful people we met!

I wish Kat and I could have road on the bus on Sunday with all of you. If the Sunday bus was anything like the Saturday bus, we would have had a great time!

Kat and I took a bunch of pictures but I have not looked at them yet to see if they turned out. I'll try to get to them later today. Hopefully, some are worth posting.

[Added by ScottMcGerik later in the day]

Well, I got a lot of photos. Unfortunately, hardly any were of people! The following were a few snapshots that I thought more interesting.

Brunch at The Alibi

Waiting for the bus to take us to the Jasmine Tree

Tikibars and myself at The Alibi.

Scott McGerik
Scott McGerik's Tiki Collection

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-07-13 07:01 ]

P

Thank you thank you to all the NW Tiki ohana for another great event this year, we had a blast !!
It was great to be able to see old friends and meet new friends...The kick-off party at Castaway Cove
on Friday was great, as was the Jupiter for for Saturday's festivities this year: lots of great music, vendors,
food & drinks...The brunch at the Alibi was a perfect way to start the day on Sunday before the Home Bar
Tour ( many thanks for the restoration efforts at the Alibi, it really looked fantastic !) Many thanks also to all
the folks who opened their wonderful home bars to us, its always one of my favorite things about the event.
I only took a few pics (was having problems with my new camera), but will post what turned out soon. Many
many thanks again for a fantastic weekend !

Wow! What a great event! Many thanks to all the folks who helped plan
and organize. Heather was great as the friendly and sassy emcee. Selector
Lopaka spins tunes like a pro and the vendors had fantastic art (I added a Seamus
and Heather Watts to my collection)! Both bands rocked and the outdoor
decorations were sublime. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. This is
truly an annual event not to be missed.

On a side note: I left my baby (Montgomery) in the trunk of my car and he's
missing. Has anyone seen him??

Here are some photos. I have lots more. These had the most people.

[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a2148914bf200000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]

[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a21489ecacd00000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img}

[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a21489d4bfe00000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a21489acac900000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a21489b4bf800000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a2148994bfa00000015100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a2148874be400000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214884cad700000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214882cad100000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]

[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214880cad300000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f598a9100000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f4d8a8500000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f4b8a8300000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f480bb000000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f498a8100000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214f360bce00000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214c674b0600000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]
[img] http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d806b3127cce8a214c62ca3300000016100QbOGrJw1ZMb [img]

Let me know if you want more.

Linda and I had a great time although it must not show on my face. It looks like I am scowling in a someone elses photo of me.

Bothellbill

[ Edited by: bothellbill 2006-06-27 22:19 ]

Hope you dont mind. I fixed the code for you and reposted the pics

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-06-27 23:04 ]

Thank you. My first attempt at posting pix.

Bill

hey, had a really good time on da' island of Oregon, beautiful city of Portland. Must see more. Thanks again to everyone who organized.
Oregon drivers, I noticed are much more courteous and safer than Cali drivers, generally speaking.
Good to finally meet and talk to more of the NW Tiki people.

When I was wheeling one of my carvings back to my room from the vending area I overheard a girl on the second floor ask, "What's that?" Her friend answered, "It's a Tiki God."

Resting in bed one evening, my wife and I were watching a science program on TV. They showed an illustration of the sea floor and the dynamics of plate tectonics. Suddenly, Mrs. JT says, "Look, it's a Moai!" Surprised, I turn my head horizontal and sure enough, there it was, a Moai on the sea floor facing up. Delighted that she would see this, I looked at her and proclaimed, "You're turning Tiki." Her reply, "No, I've just been brainwashed for the weekend."

Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa.

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-06-28 08:02 ]

Despite Heather trying to knock my husband's eye out with a key chain on the bus.... we had the best time!

Thank you everyone for making this year's event better than the last one. It's hard work and don't think for a minute that we don't appreciate every second of it.

See you all next year if not sooner.

T

I'm glad you all had a good time--we worked hard on the event and it is nice to see it pay off!

More pictures! I had no time to take any this year so I'm relying on all of you.

The keychain was an accident! Don't sue!

K
Kim posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 9:31 AM

I think all the organizers are hoping for more photos-- none of us had time to take any!

And, Dancin' Lizard, if you decide to sue, you could get a share of NW Tiki LLC's vast resources! As of right now, you could ...uh... owe $200 to the Crawl! Go ahead, sue! It'll mean we can spread the debt out to another person! :lol: :P

Annual NW Tiki Kon!
If you missed 2005, come this year!
Visit http://www.nwtiki.com for more information.

[ Edited by: Kim 2006-06-28 09:33 ]

T

Who's Lambretta? Reminds me of my LI 125 I had in the 80s (until it was stolen).

Jab - you were missed my friend! How was your trip overseas?

The Scoot in question belongs to Robertiki. If it is your long lost stolen one - you can start looking there.

Thanks again to all who came, who saw and who drank at the Tiki Kon.

The rest of the best of my photos.

Bill

M

On 2006-06-28 20:48, bothellbill wrote:
The rest of the best of my photos.

Bill

Your framing is superb, Bill. Great composition.

I really like the shot of Larry in front of the Alibi!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies