Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Kon Tiki for Spring Time Fun In The AZ Sun April 22nd; Along with Smugglers Inn Recapture 21-23rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

On 2006-04-24 10:34, Monkeyman wrote:
Big Heap Em Thanks to the Cheeky Half's.

Your pre party was "lovely" and your lapu lapus were spot on.

Wonderful collections and glass works.

Gimme somma dat artichoke dippppp

Ditto, had a great time @ your tiki pad! After traveling throughout the southwest for the last week and a half, Saturday felt just like being home.

TBird.

It was our pleasure.

The Kon Tiki Tucson rocks!

A few pics from my adventures...

Here are some of the old lamps that are new again.

A lot of the interior, walls, etc. used to look like these. 46 years of 0% humidity, wear and tear, etc.

The Ghost and I are thankful for being able to help revamp the Kon Tiki.

A- LOU - Ha! Big Lou, the one and only! Not the man who can but, the man who does!!

Marc oooooo!!!

He was dying to make me drink the famous Kon Tiki Scorpion back in Feb. He had to wait 2 months and was happy on Sat.(see below)

Smokin!!! Minihunes!!! Jammed Major Aloha Vibage!!

Smokin' C'Al ihuneeeee Shakin' that Ass! Shakin' that Ass!

Paulie Tiki !!! He started pushing a broom at the age of 14 for the Kon Tiki and now owns it!! I spent some time with him and will forever have Gratzi in my mind! He also spent part of his life with a Samoan-Hawaiian family. He knows life!

GRATZI!!!

GRATZI PAULIE !!!

Mrs. Boo and I stopped outside of Tucson at Rooster Cogburns Ostrich Ranch on our way back. That was a trip!

Many mahalos to all who were there and for all the Good Times!!!

...another chapter in our book of tiki fo sure!

Mike Smith from Texas, PM me with your email addy so we can get your Tiki Farm mug sent to you :) ~WooHooo

K

Mahalo!
This is Marcos of the Kon Tiki. I would like to say, on behalf of Paul, Big Lou and myself,
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
To everyone who made the trip out to visit. It meant alot to us and it was great making new friends that brought the Tiki back to glory. Can't wait 'til the next one.
Thank you all!!!!
Benno you tha man!!
:tiki:

P

i would just like to say how nice it was to meet people. everyone was very kind and accepting to be with.

i'd like to apologize for the scene i caused. i can't even offer an excuse, so i won't. i just hope that people will be understanding and forgiving.

the thing that i'm most amazed at is the interest in my art. seeing how many people thought it was nice makes me so excited to create as much as i can. nothing gives me greater pleasure than having others enjoy something i created.

i'd like to extend a huge thanks, mahalo and hugs to all who i met and sat with. even those who just hung out on the sides. if anyone found my camera, please PM me.

i'll post some videos soon. crazy al can play some cocos wicked good.

mahalo nui
perry

A few more cents to say thanks to everyone...especially the cheeky's for the wonderful cocktail party!! ! It was all oodles of fun! Lovely to meet you all and look forward to seeing you all at Oasis next week!

oh, and the final count was 44.

Finally caught up on sleep from Tucson!!!! Thanks again Louie, Marco, the Kon Tiki waitresses, Maggie and Mark! You are all consummate hosts! What? Did someone say Phoenix in June for the Trader Vic's opening????

According to the Valley Ho (where Trader Vics will be located), the expected opening date is June 4th.

http://www.hotelvalleyho.com/content/fooddrink/tradervics.html

The hotel looks amazing!!!!

TMF

I am ready for Trader's....... However, I will be in LA that weekend. Anyone interested in the weekend after? Let me know.

Hey Soccer! Glad to see you made it back and got some rest!
Looks like you're in good shape for Oasis!

Woooohooooo!!

Oh wait, that's WooHoo's line :D

As for the Valley Ho, you're right VW, it IS amazing! Very cool, hip and retro....swank even! I've had a few groups in there this year and they were absolutely delighted. And their site does say the 4th and they have been using that date for some time, but their opening dates have been fluid for a while, so we might want to consider letting them get past the opening kinks before we make our appearance....especially since the 4th is a Sunday....but it's up to ya'll. (and if we wait until the next week, Mo Fo can join us...yippee! :))

I'll see what I can do to secure a room block at a decent rate and keep everyone posted. As for the 4th, I'll do some sleuthing tomorrow and let y'all know what I find out.

Just to get a sense of the number of folks who might be interested, how many of y'all would like to come out? PM me if you are up for it, that way I can get a count and can try to negotiate a better rate (cheaper hotel means more $$$ for Lapu Lapus!!) If folks came for the weekend, we could hit a few places in addition to Trader Vic's, like the venerable Bikini Lounge and the neo-tiki Drift....

I'll see if I can't catch up with AJ to get the real scoop on any opening festivities (that the public can join)and let y'all know.

I work in the industry here in Phoenix and was invited to the opening party in December. It was pretty groovy, and they weren't even in full swing yet!!

You know, I am really looking forward to seeing how Trader Vic's will be "reinterpreted" (their words, not mine) by their Chef Charles (Chuck?)Wiley.

He's got some culinary cred' in that he's done a super job with the hotel's current restaurant, Cafe Zuzu (the meatloaf is DIVINE and I HATE meatloaf) and is also behind elements at Sanctuary...so I'm interested to see what he'll do with Vic's...hope he doesn't "reinterpret" it too much :eek.

I'm just happy to have Trader Vic's back...Hey, maybe we can get C'Al to come too...I am sure he remembers the original TV's in Scottsdale.

And Maggie....maybe I can talk Dr Z into joining us so I can finally get you that drink I owe you. Since I don't think we're going to make it to Oasis this year (Boyd's got a TON of work these days), that may be my only opportunity, since I don't think I can fit him Dr Z into a box :).

Anyway, I'll let youz know what I find out...and if anyone else has some details, feel free to share :).

Trader Vic's....here we come!! :tiki: :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-04-27 22:50 ]

CA

ok... so why are there no other shots up like these with all the TCers buzzing up and down Speed Way Blvd.

hey...my shirt was buttoned all night till it was unbuttoned for me......

any way... has this place been posted on Finding tiki????? why not...

and this vid of Holden's insident... i told him to stop monkeying with sh!t....

http://www.tikimania.com/TCpost/KonTiki/holden_arm.MOV
this a block away

Ben i wish i had time to post cool pics of your work, but who wants to see that anyway

Sweet pic's Crazy Al - you so crazy!!!
EEEEeeeeeAAAAooOooOoooOouuUUUuUuuuUuWWWwwwwwwwWWww

Those are classic, Al.....
As Spermy said, you so Crazy!

(Never seen that big Moai looking so good!)

Actually, went to high school in Tucson, and
boy, do I have stories about the top o' that
tiki....but that's a whole other thread.

Wish I made the event dude

T

Crazy Al brings you "Tiki Girls Gone Wild!"

T

MUCHOS ALOHAS!!!!!
hey b-ben finally figured out this post thing! first of all let me start off by thanking everyone that made it out to our grand re-dedication party. it was totally awesome meeting everyone and making new friends. if it wasn't for you all it wouldn't have been such a success. woohoowahine and soccertiki, thanks for getting everybody set up at the smugglers and showing us how to party! to the cheeky's, thanks for the beautiful mosaic can't wait to display it. ( will post pics soon ) MUCHOS GRATZI to bamboo ben for the incredible work and the " good times ". mrs. boo it was a pleasure meeting you, me and the mrs. loved hangin' out. thanks doug horne for the amazing artwork of the l.e. mug and picture. last but not least THANK YOU Holden, you da man for making this happen brah! it would have never been done without you. can't wait to see you all again next year????
MUCHOS MAHALOS
kontikilou

p.s. thanks to the smokin' menehunes and c'al for the great entertainment.

http://www.kontiki-tucson.com

On 2006-04-28 16:53, tikilou wrote:
hey b-ben finally figured out this post thing!

Oh crap! There goes the neighborhood!!

Arrrrrr!!!

Welcome aboard Big Lou!!!

Are there going to be any "Kon Tiki Tucson Reps" at Oasis this year??

p.s. hows the ghost???

Here are a few more pics from our great night at the Kon Tiki. We can't make Oasis this year, but hopefully we'll see you guys at the Trader Vic's opening.

Here you go crazy al.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1325&forum=1&hilite=tucson

haha, that last pic of the two big guys that looks like they were in bar-room brawl is awesome. They were out of town rugby players, fresh from a match.
I met them out in front of ther bar.
They looked kinda intimidating but they were both extremely cool!
Check out the shiner on number one & the goose egg on the second guys forehead...ouch!!!
I can only imagine what the other guys looked like.

K

Cool story, those guys are from Seattle. One of the guys on there team used to work the door for us. His name is Kone' one of the best guys you will ever meet. He didn't make the trip back but told his buddies to come and visit the Kon Tiki. ( I guess it's only cool to us)
Mahalo,
KonTiki2 :tiki:

On 2006-04-30 12:32, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
haha, that last pic of the two big guys that looks like they were in bar-room brawl is awesome. They were out of town rugby players, fresh from a match.
I met them out in front of ther bar.
They looked kinda intimidating but they were both extremely cool!
Check out the shiner on number one & the goose egg on the second guys forehead...ouch!!!
I can only imagine what the other guys looked like.

You've obviously never played Rugby, if you're coming out of the game & you don't look like that your own team might beat you up!

Aloha y'all....

Just wanted to post a quick update on the return of Trader Vic's to Scottsdale.

Fact: The official opening date will be June 4th, 2006...a Sunday :(
Fact: There will be a big (private) wingding for the owners and their special guests on the 3rd
Fact: I will be meeting with the Trader Vic's folks tomorrow to gather more facts about a good time for us all to show up and will keep y'all posted

But here's what I am thinking....since the opening day is a Sunday, and it seems like a lot of folks would like to come out for this, and most of you have jobs, kids, pets, etc that you have to attend to during the week, then perhaps we shoot for the following weekend for our little 'ting...June 8-11th.

I spoke with the hotel and the would love to have us that weekend. They are working up killer rates, so sit tight and watch for more details, and whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT call the hotel or book direct on their web site. I am working on group rates, which will be lower than what you can get through the net, but in order to do that, I need to play by the hotel's rules (ie provide a rooming list, etc).

I should have the agreement today and will post the rates later this evening. Although the Hotel Valley Ho will be the host hotel and will be where all of the action is, I am also looking into securing rates at two other hotels within walking distance in the event you spent all of your hard earned $$$$ at Oasis and would rather stay at a more price conscious location so you have more $$$ to spend at Trader Vic's..........so, that's all the news that's fit to print....more to follow.

Mahalo and have a lovely day, y'all!

tiki-tina

P.S. Since this event is not really affiliated with the Kon Tiki, I'll try to start another thread for the Scottsdale event, so please look for new info there....mahalo

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-05-02 10:16 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-05-02 10:18 ]

TMF

Thinking of talking to Louie of a weekly night..... Kinda like Tiki Ti on Wed, back in LA. Or Sunday at Lucky Tiki..... What do you think.....

I was just wanting to know the status of the ltd. edition mugs for the rededication. Has anyone heard anything lately?

I gave Holden everyone's email address. He said when the mugs are ready he will email you :) Tiki Oasis was sooo much fun. We missed all of the AZ TCers.

D
DJLee posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 7:29 PM

Bummed to have missed this...Kon Tiki is in the neighborhood where I was born, raised...and spent a lot of time until I moved away in '84. Goodness knows how many times I went to The Kon Tiki from the age of five unil after I moved away from Tucson. When I hit drinking age, I used to go there regularaly for happy hour. Late '70s yes!

The photos look great.

It makes a former Tucsonian proud!

KC

Oh this annoys me so much... I hadn't been to Kon Tiki, or this site, for a few months, and I totally missed the re-dedication party. I found out about it the wednesday after it happened. What a dissapointment and failed opportunity to meet fellow tiki-philes :(

I'm totally bummed.

Chris

WoooHoooo! I just received my Kon Tiki Re-Dedication Party Limited Edition Mug(#46/250) in the mail today. Once again Holden & Tiki Farm did a incredible job of bringing Doug Horne's Mug to life :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies