Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

VonTiki Carvings

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

T

I spent 20mins scrubbing "freckles" after my first staining excursion. I couldn't tell what was splatter and what were freckles. :lol:

V

Funny thing, I burned him and I thought it looked good,light. I looked on Craigslist and some guy was giving away a bunch of free paints and stains, so I scored a bucket of free dark stain, so It was a sign right? It was meant to be... dark.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 8:07 PM

that looks good.

V

Today I varnish!

V

Varnishing went bad!!! It happened to be the only day that late in the afternoon it rained. My varnish didnnt set right and the next day it looked all wrinkled and crappy. Bummer!!! So, I got some stripper to take it off.I had to spend another 40 bucks though.
That is the nastiest , worst thing, is to have to strip off varnish. Yuccchh!
Then you have to clean the stripper off, which is a long tedious process. When I was finally finished, I decided not to re varnish the piece. He was left looking kinda weathered and old. My buddy that bought the piece, preferred the distressed look . So we installed him on Sunday. I think I might go and put another coat of stain on him.Here he is installed.

I like it with that dark stain. I think darker is better on big pieces along with a water based marine varnish.

F

Sweet piece! I'm not all that great with the big stuff like you are, so I am very impressed.

great looking piece, I like the look

Amy

Fantasic stuff,he looks great in the yard.

Schweeeeetness!

Ahhhhhhhh Yeahh! That's what it's all about!

B

Von, This guy turned out Great, Love the dark stain too. One to be Very Proud of for sure.

Pages: 1 2 59 replies