Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 6 in San Diego - Book Now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

T

cyntiki wrote
I was actually dust after this and made it only to see Tikipug’s room but no Mojito’s left.

I am so sorry I ran out of ingredients. Next time you see me, I'll have one with your name on it.

Great pics ookoo lady. I wish I woulda found that outrigger mug shelf (but it probably looks better on your wall). Holden had some great deals goin' on at da Farm stand. So many good things at this years Tiki Oasis I can only hit the hi-lites: Bali Hai - killer drinks, Sand Devils, Martini Kings, APE & The Bali Hai itself (goes w/o saying). Hanalai - TC Ohana, Shag Wit a Twist, Monkeypods, tiki bazaar, Cult O' the Eye room party, Hanalei sushi bar & some of the most beautiful ponds, fountains & gardens this side of paradise.

MR

Tikipugs mojitos were amazing. I have never had a mojito that good. Thank you.

I had a great time at the first SD Oasis, and I'm hoping the next one will be here, too. I think the potential for even more fun is big, as we all know this Oasis had to organized in short notice (and in less than favorable conditions).
I'd like to thank Otto and Babydoe for putting this together. Matt Reese was indeed working hard to help, busting his ass all throughout the weekend. Let us not forget Ona Tiki's work, as he was busting his ass with Matt, too. Thanks to all the volunteers who helped.
Special thanks to Otto, who put my band The Sand Devils on the bill. I wasn't sure about how we will be accepted, but the positive responses were overwhelming, thanks!
This year's event wasn't in the best timing for me, as we are in the process of moving, the missus is 7 months pregnant, so to get ready for the gig, provide the backline for friday, and try to debut a drink was quite a task, and I have my wife's help and understanding, and Jeff's (BigTikiDude) help to thank.
I didn't have time to really do a room crawl, but I did get to visit Dr. Z's party, Dogbyte's room, Aaron's akua & monkeyman's room, and the TikiPugs. The drinks were delicious, but the company was the real fun part.
It was very gracious of Jonpaul, Marie, Adam and Erica to let me use their room for debuting my new drink "Keelhauled". The garnish is yet to be finalized, but the recipe proved to be a success. I might need to put a "limit one per customer" restriction based on the results :wink:

Until next year,
Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2006-05-09 09:36 ]

I
IKABOD posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 9:54 AM

We of the Cult Of The Eye, graciously thank all of you for coming by and hanging out. It was a pleasure meeting all of you. We did this for you folks and it appears that it was worth it. See you all next year.

Enjoy!

..riding the glass elevators with a bunch of crazy drunks any time day or night

I enjoyed standing outside one of the hosting room ( I think it was Ran's)and pelting the elevator with ice from my drinks to get everyone's attention so I could let them know the drink I was enjoying was so awesome! Actually, no one ever knew cuz you all were so plastered. I guess you had already visited THAT room!

Seriously though...this was our 1st Oasis and I was VERY impressed with the huge amount of forethought that went into the planning (think welcome bags-wow!).

It was so great to meet everyone face to face; kinda like meeting famous people, for me! And EVERYONE was so nice and fun!! Cult of the Eye's room was great with a view of the golf course. Never did get a pull from that hookah, but Amy (I think- on Thurs eve) served us a fab Blue Hawaiian!! The guys were all so nice to my hubby and he really enjoyed himself. I think he was a little wary at first, what with those fezzes and all. Now he says they're not so "hinky". He trusts them (for an ex-Marine to admit that is a real coo!)

The music was... fabulous-stupendous-awesome-life changing!!! I was surprised when the Sand Devils first started, cuz my feet took me to the stage and my elbows poked and pushed to get my ears to the very front (sorry if I gouged anyone!). I had to have more! And then Ape comes on and Al starts carving and I was just losing my ever lovin mind! A lot of girls kept telling me how hot and exotic and unbelievably sexy the show was gonna be and I was thinking, "OK, great, we'll see."
Um. Yeah!!! What a way to start the weekend! I'm a sold out fan now!! Booking my tix and rezzies right now for any and all future events!

The security guys breaking up the room parties were actually kinda fun to kid with. They took it with good nature. I don't think they expected what they got from us! Now they know and Oasis will be billed up front and larger than all else on their board! (Not in tiny letters at the bottom, even below the Small Gift Convention!)

I think we all did quite well at not totally wrecking that wedding! We should be proud we can hold our liqueur-y tongues when it comes down to it!

Thanks to SoccerTiki and WooHoo for the incredible room decor...you deserved to win best room!
And thanks to SoccerTiki for sitting with me and the Mr up on the balcony at night to "make announcements" to all loiterers down in the pool/garden area!! "Attention! Attention! All Hanalei Guests present in pool area! Lift your shirt above your head now! Failure to comply will result in a hefty room fee!" I think we had one compliant guest. And he was a dude.

Thanks also to SoccerTiki, RugbyMatt, and Bill for sharing rezz w/ me for dinner. And to Bill for driving us all back from Bali Hai in your smokin mini van.
And to TikiBlog for sharing your baby with me (lil white Chihuahua), as I was going through puppy withdrawals! TOO CUTE!!

Really, thanks to everyone I set my eyes on cuz you all made the event!
But a very special thanks goes to...PURPLE TUBE TOP!! The chick from San Diego's Mardi Gras Convention Personnel that crashed WooHoo's and SoccerTiki's room crawl the first night! What the heck was that all about!?! So now all us girls can pounder the mystery of why she has to pee every 20 minutes during sessions! We were all polite and nice to her, but you could hear a flea fart after she asked us ALL for advice on that!!

This was the best damn party we EVER been to!!

(Thanks to ? for the extension cord for our smokin tiki on the balcony...I can't rememer your name!! You had the room directly below us...Sorry I can't remember...anything much. all kinda hazy...)

If I could distill my Oasis experience into two words they would be

SENSORY OVERLOAD...

What a blast!

Unfortunately my beautiful wahine Rita had pinched a nerve in her back only a day before the event but she managed to tough it out with her chiropractor's help, a back brace and heavy painkillers long enough to join me at Ona & Moki's mellow pre-party and a fun filled Saturday at the Hanalei. I'm grateful she encouraged me to enjoy the event without her but I know next year we'll make it to the room crawl together. I just couldn't do that without her. The weekend's festivities were great but every thing's more fun with Rita.

Great partying with SD Ohana and meeting new friends. While I did meet a nice couple shivering at the Bali Hai's upstairs bar pining for the desert warmth of Oasis past but I hope others who'd not visited my city before now love it as much as I do. Like Wonka said "So much to do so little time!" The entertainment was awesome. What a treat hearing all those great bands. Listening to the Martini Kings in the legendary Bali Hai Ballroom was spectacular! I just know Artie Lyman's spirit was smiling on us all.I can't wait to see the Sand Devils, Mai Kai Gents and Ape again. Crazy Al's such a rock star!!

Home girl Mimi LeMeaux and the other burlesque girls were fabulous. (If that's what those shriners have been staying up late for all this time give me a fez and a secret handshake immediately!)

Sammy Davis Junior's got some heavy competition for the role of hardest working man in showbiz. It's gotta be a toss-up between Denny Moynahan and Matt Reese! Holy crap! You guys rock!

The marketplace was a treat. Great seeing Bosko and Truus again and meeting Danny G and Stephanie, Tiki Tony, Marcus, Holden and Stuckie's folks. We were lucky enough to be in the tent at Harvey Mendiola and Foi Mo's booth in time to see some unscheduled entertainment. While Harvey's uncles were demonstrating the carved drums a fellow attendee broke into a flawless spontaneous hula followed a moment later by a six year old boy doing some traditional male dancing and ripping it up on the drums. I hope Otto will include Harvey on the official entertainment roster next year, dancing drumming and spinning fire. His traditional Polynesian act would round out the bill nicely. Maybe outside at the Bali Hai!!!

Mahalo everybody. My camera burned in a fire or you can bet I'd have some great pix of the weekend. Can't wait till next year.. Hey wait maybe I'll see some of you in Catalina!

I had a blast. It would have been a bigger blast if I'd been healthier, but still, the spirit of Tiki is stronger than penicillin! I got to hang with some old friends, make new ones, and even reconnect with folks I hadn't seen since college. (Hi Rebecca!) My only regret is missing out on one of the Trader Mort's mugs. Another reason to keep an eye on eBay, I guess.

Can't wait for next year!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-11 21:09 ]

MR

I'd like to take a second to thank everyone involved with the Oasis this year. To Otto and Baby Doe for the obvious reasons, to Kick the Reverb and Monkeyman for the drink deliveries, to all the friends new and old who offered help and humor, but mostly I want to thank Onatiki and Moki for all the hard work and support throughout the weekend (and before). I have never met more generous,caring,or thoughtful people than them. Take a bow all of you.
Mahalo.

C

I made it home after a long meditative and sad journey home. Thanks again to everyone who showed the aloha spirit and who helped make this weekend a ton-o-fun. I am now totally homesick for So Cal and all my friends down there.

Here are a few of my highlights of this weekend (in no particular order):

Surfin' San Onofre for the first time and having a blast. A perfect start to a completly memorable weekend.

Stoppin' in at Ona Tiki and Moki's amazing home and being greeted by some of the coolest and nicest people you will ever meet.

Spermy showing up at the Cult of the Eye party in his jammies.

Whaleriders awesome sense of humor.

Talkin' story with King Kukulele in the "ancient chinese secret room."

Officially getting introduced by Nick to Eileen from Tiki Magazine after unofficially meeting her in a long line for drinks at the Bali Hai.

Dr. Z carryin' a water cooler full of Lapu Lapus around from place to place because the hotel didn't know what to do with a small crowd of tiki freaks.

Walkin' into the Hotel on Thursday night and the first person I see is Otto who asks me "What's with the flannel?" I then see Big Tiki Dude walk in a few minutes later sportin' the old school flannel look as well. We then commence to havin' a deep discussion about wearing flannels long before grunge made them popular.

The plastic pirate sword fight on the balcony with Doctor Z after both of us being "Keel Hauled" that lead to a sword in his eye, two pirates that fell to thier death and a conversation about the need for a Blunderbuss when engaging in battle with plastic buccaneers.

Sabu coming in late and leaving the room early and me sleeping though it all. ( I usually wake up to a bug walkin' on the wall.)

Watching TikiBird and Utopian Dream try to throw plastic pirates up to the the third balcony.

Digital picture taking goofiness with Jon Paul, Marie, Adam, Erica, Jamie, Big Tiki Dude, Tena, Rudy and Dave at the Bali Hai.

Meeting so many new friends I couldnt possibly list them all here and now.

Havin' a drink with Conga Mike and Denise at the Bar on Saturday night. (See you at the Forbidden Island soon!)

Getting a drink mixed by Shag and getting to keep the mug. (sorry Jeff, I can't let it go Bro. I will pay you for the shirt.)

All the music, drinks and laughter that was shared. The Sand Devils, Mai Kai Gents Martini Kings and Ape were all Awesome, The Monkeypod and Keel Hauled were intoxicatingly delicious. All of you folks crack me up to no end, even if y'all give me mounds of grief for drinkin' crappy beer.

The Eye of the Cult partys were over the top. Once again my apologize to Dr. Shocker for putting my dirty drunken paws on his new laptop.

The security guards trying to ground me and send me to my room as if I was in first grade. (They really were good sports in retrospect.)

Jamie's humourous and well though out multimedia shows during the bands on Friday and Saturday night

The fun loving and beautiful ladies who know better than too try and take advantage of a drunk monkey.

Getting some neato freebie buttons from Dogbytes and Todd.

Talkin' with Tony from the Martini Kings and finding out he is also in the mysterious band known as The California Del Reys. BUY THE MARTINI KINGS CD TIKIS & BIKINIS IT IS AWESOME!!!

Hangin' out with Kirby, Polly, Polynesiac and Barbara at their booth on Sunday.

My sunburned face that is going to be creased with smile line for days to come.

Thanks again everybody for contributing to an amazing weekend.

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Chongolio-
You Ruled Tiki Oasis!!! I had such a blast goofin off with you!! I will try to post some pic's when I am not so freakin busy!!! Real life is holding me down!! I really had a good time with all of my good friends!!
Later,
Sperm

Here's a few scenes from the weekend:

C'Al & "The King"

Al doing his voodoo thing

Me & Hakalugi

Shag with a Twist

Our lush surroundings

Islands Restaurant

Polynesiac and his awesome tikis

Kirby’s abode

Ran & the Sand Devils

Hello friends!
I don't know what else I can say about Tiki Oasis 6 that hasn't been said yet. This was my third Tiki Oasis and so far the best! The location change was a breath of fresh air. All around an upgrade from the crowded Palm Spring location. It was just a matter of time before we outgrew Palm Springs. The only complain I heard was the weather. I never once went in the pool in Palm Springs, and I didn't miss the sometimes-too-hot weather. I would take San Diego's bigger hotel, bigger events, bigger sound, bigger shopping area, nicer locations anyday over Palm Springs hotter weather. Thanks to Otto and team for the millionth time. Thanks to all the Crawl hosts! Thanks to Josh Agle for the wonderful drinks and the beautiful, exclusive mugs we got to keep (he brought 30 of them). What a host! It was nice to see old friends and make new ones. Thanks to Spermy Whale for my first taste of Kevin and Jody's Miehana drink! Cult of the eye... wow. I will forever have memories of Bamboo Ben with his beautiful mug in hand all weekend, Ape's amazing high-energy performance, Bosko's informative tour, Tiki Tony's beautiful art, Holden's rare mug sale including some non-Tiki Farm mugs (Tiki Bob anyone? some people really scored! I scored an unglazed Enchanted Tiki Room mug), and lots of great drinks all weekend, all the time. I missed Sven (still in Germany?), and Trader Pup who was actually there, but sick as a dog in his room (I only saw him at Bali Hai). I have some choice pictures of the event and I will figure out a way to share them soon. The gift bag was a nice touch (swizzles, matchbooks with Oasis logo!). Hello to all my new friends! Drop me a line!
Oh, before I forget... the magician rubbed me the wrong way. His comments were a little condecending, and his hands need a few more years of practice (not fast enough to conceal his tricks). The real magic of Tiki for me where the wonderful music performances, the locations, the drinks, and most importantly the people. I love you, can I marry you all?
Counting the days 'till Tiki Oasis 7...
Your friend,
Louis Gonzalez
Atomobile

Many thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for pulling this all together. Your blood, sweat and tears, were evident and appreciated, everyone knows it was tough to get everything buttoned up this year on such short notice, many thanks, it can't be said enough.

This was the first year at this venue so it was the great experiment on many levels. Next year, we'll know what we are in for and what to expect.

It was great to visit the Bali Hia, damn those drinks were strong, and the bus ride was quite an adventure-the artic air and running through red lights--eek!

Thanks to the entertainers for fantastic performances; all the vendors for sharing their wonderful talents and wares; all the awesome people who opened up their rooms and shared their hospitality!

It was great to see old faces and see new ones. Many faces were not present and were truly missed.

My only regrets:

1. not getting an Oasis 6 mug :( (too bad we couldn't pre-order)
  2. not being able to visit all the crawl hosts
  3. lack of sunshire (Damn that San Diego May Gray)
  4. sore feet
  5. all of being so spread out in the hotel
  6. not taking enough pictures
  7. leaving and not saying goodbye and thank you to nearly enough people

P.S. Hau Oli Tiki - thanks for getting the ext. cord back, found it on our door handle the next morning -- that flaming tiki was pretty awesome, I'm glad we were able to help!

My favorite Oasis experience-- well actually I had a couple-- but this one sticks out--
everyone doing the bird calls for "Quiet Village" while the Martini Kings were playing Friday night. That was so cool. Only a bunch of tiki people would have thought that bird calls would complete a song like that. That was so great.
Mai Kai Gents were great again, as usual. Awesome, awesome time!

O

Okay, we finally stopped drinking long enough to find the energy to post.

We had a great time at Oasis. Thanks to all who made this year so much fun.

See you in July, well some of you.....

Aloha,
'Ona & Moki

PS... Matt Rocks!! Could not have done it without him.

Was it my imagination, or did Rugby Matt get robbed in the "Suave Savage" competition??? If it was based on applause, then he brought the house down....Girls all around me were crying "foul" when he did not win!!! BUT...He did get a lot of sympathy hugs from those girls....Hmmmm...Sometimes losing brings you more prizes!!!

Matt was robbed! Seriously!

--SBiM

With out a doubt! Rigged!! Poor Matt, he needed all those hugs and kisses!!

Speaking of winning stuff: Who won the Catalina trip offered by Tikifarm when you bought a mug? Was it Tikifarm? I was 3 flags to the wind all weekend. Alls I know is I have some new mugs with a ticket stub and "catalina win" scribbled on it by me!

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 11:26 PM

On 2006-05-12 18:14, CheekyGirl wrote:
Many thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for pulling this all together. Your blood, sweat and tears, were evident and appreciated, everyone knows it was tough to get everything buttoned up this year on such short notice, many thanks, it can't be said enough.

sorry we have not posted sooner
the combination of living with two energetic young boys and being walking distance from Forbidden island has proven to be way too much of a challenge.

I want to thank everyone for having a great time, supporting the move to SD, going with the flow when the hotel flip flopped and did the zero tolerance on the room parties, not getting too too drunk at Bali Hai s that you could not shop the next day, etc

I vow to fix the availability of the mug and the room party situation. I will post a more formal thank you wrap up and a survey of what we should do for next year.

cheers to all Oasis revelers on another great year

Otto & Baby Doe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies