Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Shrunken Heads drawing, Page 8, 4/11

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

thanks! Idk..i keep looking at it and i wanna go back and do something more to it. Oh well, it's just a clay miniature.

L

On 2006-03-07 11:45, PockyTiki wrote:
...the Moai head i promised you guys. It's not that great so bear with me.
[/img]

No, it's cool. especially with the celebrity tie in.
(separated at birth!?)

celebrity tie in? Ya lost me there. If it has to do with his big ol' schnozz, i did that to put in my own style.

karl malden moai! nice work pocky!

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 12:45 PM

B

Yep, you hit that nail right on the nose!!. Nice thing about Moai's is that they can look so Different and still be recognizable as a Moai. COOL!

P

wow....interesting similarity. Thanks for pointing that out, u guys!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 6:34 PM

Cool moai! The nose gives it a heap of character. The moai can be a hard style t master

P

yeah...it took me TWO times to friggin get this little guy right. lol stupid clay.

Alright here's the deal. A fellow TC member asked me if i would be willing to trade a hand-made Bamboo Cocktail shaker for a hefty sum of tiki mugs. Trust me, this guy really really wanted this ceramic piece. It'll take a couple weeks to completely finish this shaker but this is the design that he was looking for.

K

Check this out:

This was on eBay...

[ Edited by: Kaikaina 2006-03-08 15:08 ]

P

wow...that's really neat. I might have to use that as reference.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 8, 2006 6:01 PM

Cool shaker. Cant wait to see it develop.

T

I like your design better.

P

lol alright, I'll keep it my own then. No worries, bruh!

Hey guys! The Bamboo Cocktail Shaker is fully built! Now i have to wait for it to dry, and then fire it, then glaze it and fire it for the last time! So here's the pictures i took of it today.

Alright...i gotta say, I SUCK at clay..but I tried my best at building this shaker, and i'm fairly pleased with it. Trust me guys, it will look A LOT better when it's fully glaze. So i'll update you guys with that one later.
Anyways, i took a picture of another tiki miniature i finished yesterday.

ttyl guys!

G

Cool stuff, PockyTiki. Nice to see the fruits of your labor. But could you please stop changing the subject of this thread?! I keep thinking a new thread was started when it turns out to be the same thread with new stuff added. How about keeping the first part of the subject the same and just add " - (new bamboo shaker on page 9)" whenever you have something new. That seems to be the accepted etiquette.

Mahalo

On 2006-03-09 11:51, PockyTiki wrote:

anyone else think this resembles something other than bamboo? just a personal observation...

Alright, sorry. I was just trying to keep my art under one thread so my posts wouldn't be all over TC. Sorry bout that.

On 2006-03-09 12:44, Johnny Dollar wrote:

anyone else think this resembles something other than bamboo? just a personal observation...

Hey Johnny...be glad i didn't take a picture of it from the side...lol

On 2006-03-09 12:46, PockyTiki wrote:

On 2006-03-09 12:44, Johnny Dollar wrote:

Hey Johnny...be glad i didn't take a picture of it from the side...lol

LOL, why don't you take a picture of you drinking a white russian from it :D LOL

with whipped cream? Then I can have a MILK mustache. :wink:

T

I didn't see what you guys saw at first, and I usually catch that stuff, but I see it now.

wow, and I thought i was slow. lol

T

no, you just made it.

snaps fingers rats

Just for my own edification, Pocky, are you here looking for an honest critique of your work as an aspiring professional artist?

I am having a Beachin flashback.

Keep trying Pocky.

Your skills will get better with each attempt. Its super cool that you are just trying. Many folks wont even do that...

spend more time analyzing the characteristics of what bamboo looks like. Try a flat top instead of a bulbous sort of bishop chess piece kinda thing.

I would work on something more like a mug where the seal at the top is not a consideration. A shaker would be a really tough thing to make from ceramics because the liquid would leak like crazy from that lid.

Even tight plastic shakers can leak...

dont give up and understand where you sit in the spectrum of artists here when seeking feedback.

I am always learning from the true artisans here...

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-03-10 13:06 ]

No actually i never asked for a critique I just wanted to see people's reactions. Mind you i showed it to TikiSkip and he thought it was really cool cuz it was pretty much what he was envisioning. So that's my story.

So basically this is just a big Show-and-Tell handjob.

OK, great, then I don't need to bother with this thread anymore.

Thanks for clearing it up.

you're welcome! :D

G

On 2006-03-09 12:45, PockyTiki wrote:
Alright, sorry. I was just trying to keep my art under one thread so my posts wouldn't be all over TC. Sorry bout that.

No worries mate.

T

Keep going kid! you will get better and better! You need to keep working with different stuff. Then you will find your favorite way to let your artistic side out. You got art in ya. Monkeyman, your stuff is way cool! you are one of the artisans I look to.

hey skip, u know the bamboo i found? I'm thinking of wrapping it around the shaker.

T

On 2006-03-10 14:37, PockyTiki wrote:
No actually i never asked for a critique I just wanted to see people's reactions.

So you want to "see people's reactions" as long as they aren't critical?

On 2006-03-10 15:53, Tiki-bot wrote:

On 2006-03-10 14:37, PockyTiki wrote:
No actually i never asked for a critique I just wanted to see people's reactions.

So you want to "see people's reactions" as long as they aren't critical?

Alright I'm just gonna shut up for a few days guys. I've been notified by numerous persons and I'm gonna take their advice to heart, considering I like it here in this community and I'd like to get to know all of you. I'm used to a different Forum community and it's still in my blood. That's why all the numerous posts in one day. I apologize for my blabbering thusly i shall remain in solitude and sit back from TC for a couple days to suck it all in the right way. Peace.

T

"So basically this is just a big Show-and-Tell handjob"-PurpleJade
I don't exactly know what you are getting at but isn't that what everything in creating is, the big show and tell handjob?

I like Pocky. We can certainly use one Pocky around here. Its certainly not easy to hand build, most tiki related ceramics are carved or molded from a carved piece.

But Pocky you are a lucky guy. You get the chance to look over all the old posts and see great tikis for the first time. I see nothing of interest in the general area for the last few weeks and at least I like seeing a young guy posting new stuff (regaurdless of level).

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2007-12-17 13:35 ]

V

On 2006-03-10 20:30, teaKEY wrote:
But Pocky you are a lucky guy. You get the chance to look over all the old posts and see great tikis for the first time.

yes. Take more time to learn through all the creating forum posts.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:26 PM

On 2006-03-10 20:30, teaKEY wrote:
"So basically this is just a big Show-and-Tell handjob"-PurpleJade
I don't exactly know what you are getting at but isn't that what everything in creating is, the big show and tell handjob?

I like Pocky. We can certainly use one Pocky around here. Its certainly not easy to hand build, most tiki related ceramics are carved or molded from a carved piece.

But Pocky you are a lucky guy. You get the chance to look over all the old posts and see great tikis for the first time. I see nothing of interest in the general area for the last few weeks and at least I like seeing a young guy posting new stuff (regaurdless of level).

Hit the nail on the head there dude. Nice work.

Pocky, I found my art grew in leaps and bounds when I took on the established artists feedback on board. Give it a go, hell a couples of go's to get comfortable with it. If something doesnt work for ya, stop it and do something else. Experiment. Have fun. Make lots of tiki crap becuase thats what gives ya a big goofy smile. Share it with us, and grow as an artist by taking on feedback.

Hugs and kisses (in a manly way) from Handjob Hewey :)

Hey all, guess what!? My posts per day have gone down! hehe, anyways. I'm compacting all my posts here so here are some Moai inspired doodles and drawings i did today in school. I also found some cool South Pacific articles in national Geographic which you can see in the General Tiki thread.

aloha!

Great drawings pocky! Thanks for posting those! You should think aboot working them into a painting to hang on your walls at home, instant tikification!

i'm glad you brought that up! You remember the bamboo place mat i found at Pier 1? I'm actually planning on painting a tiki or some form of pacific art on it and then hanging it upon my wall.

K

Great doodles Pocky. I especially like the Silhouette Maoi. That would make a great tattoo.

yeah, or a logo of some sort. Thanks, man!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 5:33 PM

Cool moai man. Nice sketchin

Nice sig yoo :)

thanks! yes i enjoy the .gif too.

alright, in art class i made a new rubber stamp. Of course this HAD to have a tiki on it of some sort, so it's a tiki ...guy...thing. He has a tiki head, human-esque body and in one hand he holds a coconut mug, the other, his surf board. I printed some out, but they weren't worth saving, so i just took a pic of the main stamp. Here he is.

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies