Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waitiki. Don Tiki! Kapono! Pablus! Al Harrington! CDs will be available soon.

Pages: 1 37 replies

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:40 ]

Hey Fil!
Sounds like a great show.
Just wonderin', what is the relevance to the name "Heckathorn's"
Good luck onthe show!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:41 ]

L

On 2006-03-10 22:33, Unga Bunga wrote:

Just wonderin', what is the relevance to the name "Heckathorn's"

If I may...
John Heckathorn has been a respected media dude, award-winning writer, etc. here in Hawaii for a long time. He is a restaurant critic, columnist and was editorial director of Honolulu magazine. He was also the editorial director of PacificBasin Communications, the magazine's parent company.

Heckathorn was with Honolulu magazine for 21 years and editor of the magazine since 1993.
"Hotplate" is well known as is the popular "What the Heck" column he writes....

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:41 ]

I will be tuning in. Thanks for the heads up Fil.

Please keep us updated about AL Harrington. I have been tracking down leads with former band members of his. I have a collection of Al Harrington memorabilia including the ubiquitous mugs/glasses, records, matchbooks, photos/photo holders, VCR tapes of shows and tapes as well. This whole collection started with a signed record "I Love This LAnd" that I'm sure most have. There was a brief moment when I think his sister or daughter posted a couple times here at TC. I am always on the hunt for Al Harrington stuff. So, I will tune in Thursday with the high hopes of hearing him. Thanks and good luck!

Cool. Pablus was telling us about this last Saturday night in the Lagoon Lounge. A real honor. We'll try to listen in.
KG

S

That's 5:30 here in the East. Might be home in time!

P

I don't know how I rate in this list but I'm super happy to be there.
I'll try not to be trashed and start shrieking obscenities. :wink:

Thanks filslash, my braddah.
I'm honored.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:42 ]

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 3:05 AM

just in case al cant make it, pat is prolly available

Just to double check....The show start next week? as in the week of March 20th? And the Al Harrington show will be the 23rd?

L

well that was fun. da bruddah plays da uke real good kine.
2 songs. cool.
but wot wus dat string o kinda Hawaiian soundin words in kahiki moon?!

good job, fil.

P

AUWE!
I've been exposed.
It's like one of those dreams where you're at a banquet in your underwear.
Except I'm awake.

I tried to get braddah Bong and some of the others here to help me craft that tune but had to resort to Koko and Lono's Hawaiian Dictionary to piece them together. I'm certain they're incredibly wrong in their context and connection.

hey malihini pilikia Kahiki Moon

Akahele ko-u ka-hi ho' o-ma-ke 'oe au pu
(careful your wife will kill you too)

malihini pilikia Kahiki Moon

wiki wiki ha’alele and do it soon

ka pono’ ho’i, ho o hua oko mau
(all the goodness departs because I drink intoxicants)

So wiki wiki ha’alele Kahiki Moon

Malihini, auwe, pilikia

Sigh.
I'm glad filslash let me apologize in advance to the people and that beautiful language I hope to speak well one day.

Thankfully, it's just a song.

Mahalo again, filslash - that was very fun and I hope people aren't throwing things at you as you walk down the street tomorrow.

L

they call it
poetic licence, eh?

even still...
...recorded it, so it should grow on me over the next few months, I am sure...

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-15 15:10 ]

On 2006-03-15 15:02, pablus wrote:
I hope people aren't throwing things at you as you walk down the street tomorrow.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:56 ]

Pablus' Hawaiian sounds great after you've had a few mugs of Beachbum's Own. Hey, it's tiki hapa haole music kinda like, "Yacka Hula Hickey Dula" and "Oh, How She Could Yacki Hacki Wicki Woo". Anyway, Kahiki Moon is a good old Ohio tiki tune.
KG

P

Don't make excuses for me.

I'm gonna learn to sing it right and write it right.
And maybe I'll learn to write the rites right.

(Kahiki Moon was about Primo Kimo's club in Vermont written by this good 'ol Ohioan and Rustiki, The Cracker)

Al Harrington in a few minutes. Oboyoboy.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:56 ]

On 2006-03-16 14:07, pablus wrote:
Don't make excuses for me.

I'm gonna learn to sing it right and write it right.
And maybe I'll learn to write the rites right.

(Kahiki Moon was about Primo Kimo's club in Vermont written by this good 'ol Ohioan and Rustiki, The Cracker)

Al Harrington in a few minutes. Oboyoboy.

Play that funky music white boy! ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!

Hey, I want some Hawaiian BBQ... mmmmmm! Listening to this show makes me hungry.

P

Wow - great interview with Al Harrington.
I loved the insight into Donn, and the tunes.

You da man, braddah fil!

(The link to my email address is on the ABOUT page - or uhhh... it will be within the next few minutes)

Aloha,

On 2006-03-16 15:12, pablus wrote:
Wow - great interview with Al Harrington.
I loved the insight into Donn, and the tunes.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:57 ]

Great show! It was cool hearing Al talk about Five-O, Donn, Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman. You even worked in a reference to mug collecting. Way cool since I just found the big Al Harrington mug with the bamboo handle last month. Mahalo for doing this with Florida's local legend and a local legend from the islands.

One question... Al talked about things getting bad in the islands during the 1990s, so he left. I heard the same thing from a couple of locals when I was there a year ago about the economy getting real bad at that time. What happened?
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-16 16:27 ]

H

If I recall correctly, Japan hit an economic slump about that time negatively impacted the tourism in Hawaii from Asia (and tourism from the States had dropped a bit as well, but it was the loss of Japanese tourists that had the stronger impact). Don't know if that's what Al was referring to, though.

I'm really bummed that I did not get a chance to hear the interview first hand. I think Al Harrington has an amazing history with the islands and entertainment career. I cannot wait to hear the interview/show on CD. I hope the offer still stands on getting a copy. I was really wanting to call in and congratulate AL on his recent Hawaii Music Award and to see if any future shows might be possible. I have a couple live tapes of his and his humor and love for the audience is amazing and wonderful. I'm glad the mp3's worked out!

Jeff

[ Edited by: tikisobayli 2006-03-16 19:32 ]

On 2006-03-16 19:31, tikisobayli wrote:
I'm really bummed that I did not get a chance to hear the interview first hand. I think Al Harrington has an amazing history with the islands and entertainment career. I cannot wait to hear the interview/show on CD. I hope the offer still stands on getting a copy. I was really wanting to call in and congratulate AL on his recent Hawaii Music Award and to see if any future shows might be possible. I have a couple live tapes of his and his humor and love for the audience is amazing and wonderful. I'm glad the mp3's worked out!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:57 ]

A

Al talked about things getting bad in the islands during the 1990s, so he left. I heard the same thing from a couple of locals when I was there a year ago about the economy getting real bad at that time. What happened?

In addition to what Humuhumu said, there was hurricane Iniki on September 11 (!) 1992. I'm not sure how that affected Oahu, but in Kauai a lot of local businesses never recovered. I don't remember for sure, but it might've been the straw that broke the back of the Coco Palms as well.

-Randy

L

On 2006-03-17 10:51, aquarj wrote: I'm not sure how that affected Oahu, but in Kauai a lot of local businesses never recovered. I don't remember for sure, but it might've been the straw that broke the back of the Coco Palms as well.

-Randy

It broke the back and each and every other part of coco palms as well. Not as a straw but as a devastating major natural disaster. Levelled the property. It will reopen but Iniki almost completely destroyed Coco Palms.

In the 90's japanese investors bought too much property at overinflated prices, here in Hawaii. the bubble burst and heads rolled. America investment companies swooped in over the subsequent years to pick up estates and hotels and such at almost dimes on the dollar.
This of course affected the japanese economy and we saw a big downturn of japan Tourists.
there is too much minutiae to go into here re; the effects of this, throughout our businesses, but just be assured things were much different in so many ways before the 90's.

The early 90's America was affected by the "Persian Gulf crisis" and this also, led to a decrease in Hawaii tourism. This has a domino effect here. Many left for the mainland. And still, to this day, there is a "brain drain" as we continually see an exodus from all strata of the work force and the swarm to the mainland. Even cops are courted (no pun intended) by other states, and they gladly accept.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-17 15:38 ]

T

And still, to this day, there is a "brain drain" as we continually see an exodus from all strata of the work force and the swarm to the mainland. Even cops are courted (no pun intended) by other states, and they gladly accept.

Why do you think people leave Hawaii for the mainland?

L

On 2006-03-17 14:48, TikiSan wrote:

And still, to this day, there is a "brain drain" as we continually see an exodus from all strata of the work force and the swarm to the mainland. Even cops are courted (no pun intended) by other states, and they gladly accept.

Why do you think people leave Hawaii for the mainland?

tanx fo da question...
It would be for many reasons, but here's the short list...
It is generally from what we see in the dailies, and what we see and hear firsthand;

Cost of living is skyrocketing. This is caused by many factors.
Housing shortage.
Too many want to move here, and the median home price zooms upward.
Too many of the low level older structures that exhibit the charm of Old Hawaii are being raized and supplanted by 35 story condo towers. This is happening too often, throughout Honolulu, a well as too much overdevelopment in the country and outlying neighborhoods, taxing the already overburdened island infrastructure.
Too many absentee owners.
Mainland "investors' trying to make a quick buck, or even a medium slow buck in the real estate arena.
This in turn, raises property tax values which shoot sky high, making it very difficult for those born and raised here, kanaka maoli and others, to even afford to live in, not only their own town, but even their own state. this will, understandably cause in much resentment.

Now, one may well respond with: "hey. get used to it. That's how real estate works"
But again, many here didn't invite the american way of life to their own culture. Contrary to popular belief, the majority did not joyously celebrate here, when Hawaii became the 50th state.
http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/11/15/3dd495231de1c
many have greivances of how america stole Hawaii, and to this day, they perceive the stealing continues.
Doesn't matter anyone else's slant on it:
"hey! ya lost the war so get used to the cars and highrises we gave ya. yer better off now."

basically, kama'aina ( a Hawaiian word, contrary to redefining by others, which means a native born or long term resident... an old timer who has lived in the islands most or all their life... ) don't want to leave their homes. but economically it is the only feasable solution, for many growing families, or even singles and couples.
apologies to fil for the thread drift and sorry to be a buzzkill with the gory details, cuz I know this is "family hour" but that is, in a nutshell an answer to your query...
I do know this kinda thing is annoying, but hey; someone asked. Please delete if it's not wanted...

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-17 16:41 ]

I kinda thought the Japanese real estate boom/crash might have had something to do with it. I wonder if we are in for a similar fate on the mainland with what has happend to real estate prices the last five years.

T

Thanks lanikai, I found your response very interesting.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:59 ]

P

BWAAAAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAA.
BWWWAAAANNNAAAAA AYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

cool, like pacific blue cool.

Pages: 1 37 replies