Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies

Oh yea. Now we'er a talkin'

T.F.

Aloha Ohana!

The time is arriving, dear adventures. As we speak, island natives are sharpening their spears while dark clouds of smoke are billowing from a fearsomely anxious volcano and dreadful creatures are moving amongst the jungle shadows, in search of their next meal. Deep inside the jungle growth sits the smoldering and twisted wreck of a plane, the fate of the passengers and the exotic treasure in their possession, is unknown. Soon you will be camped at the beach and while preparing for your impending journey into darkness, you’ll begin to feel the dark rhythm of drums and hear the terrible cries of creatures both exotic and unspeakable. Steel yourself adventures, for only your putting prowess and your wits will protect you upon this perilous journey.

Heed the warning sounds of the drums, dear friends, for the Tiki Links are nearly here!

(ahem-I hate to break character, but I have much to say)

Everything is looking good for Saturday! Mother Nature appears to be cooperating and it looks like we’ll have temps in the high 60's to low 70’s, with a smattering of clouds. All the prizes are now in hand and final preparations are underway!

Here’s a peek at the tiki treasures that could be yours:

Prize Descriptions

Hand Carved Trobriand Island Ceremonial Paddel-World travelers, Oceanic Artists and all-around tiki legends, Bob and LeRoy's amazing talents have graced the greatest and most prolific of tiki establishments, throughout the decades. To support our budding Ohana, they have provided an exquisite hand carved ceremonial paddel that is certain to be the jewel of someone's private exotic temple.

The Tiki Links 06’, Bronco Inspired “Coco” Tiki Mug-As you know, it’s all about the mug. The more creative, unique and difficult it is to obtain, the better. Therefore, Rum Demon (creators of some of the most artistic and unique tiki mugs available today) have provided you the opportunity to sip your tropical tiki libations from a coconut like no other. Our demented friend Coco has been created specifically for our gathering and sports Bronco Colored eyes in tribute to our mile high warriors. This unnumbered piece of Rum Demon mastery is signed, dated and ready for sipping.

Signed copy of Taboo Table-There are several names written within the tomes of tikidom and Beachbum Berry is one that is prominent among most. “The Bum”, as he is known, has exhausted years of research and explored the very darkest corners of lost (but not forgotten) tiki temples, to bring you this rare collection of tiki food and drink recipes, of which there is no equal. From Curry Dip, to Chicken of the Gods, to Bongo Bongo Soup, The Bum has spared little in his pursuit of exotic epicurean excellence and now offers you this opportunity to enjoy his Taboo Table.

Descriptions of additional items to follow.

[ Edited by: zulumagoo 2009-06-26 18:13 ]

Aloha Zulu,

Well it's a shame that some negativity had to drift into this thread, but I'm honestly in too good of a mood from Saturday's event to get into throwing a bunch of stones with you.

To answer your Caerthe/Eleio question, yes I, just like you ZuluMaggo/Miehana, have possessed a different TC name and changed it for a similar reason. I too realized that after some time on the lists, my name was borrowing too heavily from other influences and I choose Eleio to better reflect my tiki persona. I've really made no effort to hide my former name, so I'm uncertain as to why you feel this is such an important item to discuss at this time, but no matter. I would invite anyone who hasn't read either of these threads, to please take a look. Personally, I feel that though some of the discussion was a bit passionate, the tiki public really had some excellent things to say.

Regarding your implications that I’m attempting to create another tiki group in Denver, I think you’ve completely misunderstood my intentions. Ohana is the word the tiki community predominantly uses for Family, which is what I believe we’re both working to create. I don't think Hanford Lemoore was feeling threatened, claiming any role of leadership or attempting to create division when he used this word for the OHANA section of the TC lists and it was in that same spirit in which I used it for the Tiki Links event, the incredible sign that Tiki-el agreed to create for everyone’s use (which you never commented upon when he posted what he was specifically making, some time ago) and now for this thread. Simple as that. Why you’ve just now chosen the use of this word to find great offense and make this such a public issue, intrigues me since you seemed to have no issue with being associated with that word (I’m referring to the Tiki Links event flyer) when I was offering you credit for your input on the project and have included Denver Ohana in just about every Tiki Links post I’ve sent over the last couple months. If the words Denver Ohana confused and bothered you so much, why didn’t you let me know or ask me to have your name removed from the flyer?

Regarding my association with the Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter, I’m a bit puzzled. Since I haven’t contributed an article and declined your very strong insistence that Tiki Links be sponsored by your newsletter, I don’t really see any reason why my association with your creation should be an issue? I have no ill feelings towards this project and have, in fact, promoted your work to the numerous contacts I made while creating Tiki Links, not to mention the advertising I tried to help you obtain to lessen your out of pocket. I just didn’t think that Tiki Links (nor any Denver tiki event) absolutely needs to be supported, sponsored or endorsed by either you, or your publication, in order to happen. Is this wrong? I don’t think so, but you apparently feel otherwise. Also, though I’m extremely happy with the Tiki Links event and have decided to host it annually, I must wonder and be concerned for those who host future tiki events in Denver. If they also chose not to seek your personal support or your newsletter’s endorsement, will it also be implied that they are unsupportive of the Denver Ohana?

I truly wish that you had made the effort to speak with me first before making such rash assumptions, creating another thread and subjecting everyone to such negativity. I know that you’ve voiced your opinions about me and Tiki Links in other forums and venues, but I must wonder why you never spoke to me about any of this? It seems to me that addressing your frustration and confusion, with me personally, would’ve provided the best results for everyone. Furthermore, I wonder (though you said that you didn’t want to create another Denver Tiki thread and are aware of some of the potential negative effects) why you did anyway?

I really hope we can get through these misunderstandings and continue to have fun. If not, then I’ll wish you the best with your projects as I’m not going to ask people to pick a side. They, like me, are just here to have fun and I don't think that the Denver tiki movement is as small and fragile as you might think.

-Eleio

TF

So why change the name of the thread?

According to all of the info sent out about Tiki Links, the event was sponsored by " Denver Ohana ", which I take to be the name attached to the events Eleio organizes. The connotation is that by re naming the thread, Eleio has attached ownership to everything that we have posted since it's inception. It is kind of like saying that all of this wonderful information is brought to you courtesy of " Denver Ohana TM.". It is true that Caerthe / Eleio started the thread, and unless I am gravely mistaken, it was meant as a place where all of us could swap info. Starting this thread was a nice accomplishment. I have personally enjoyed hours of entertainment because of it. What I have a problem with is that all of our contributions have now been "branded", and in so doing, Eleio is asserting himself as a the owner of all that has transpired in the link.

If a Tiki King is what we need, then so be it. Everyone is free to think and feel the way they want. For my measly two cents worth, what we really need is a Witch Doctor!

Mahalo Nui Loa!

T.F.

So Fink, are you saying that if I change the title back to Denver Tiki, rather than Denver Ohana, everything is mended?

Aloha!

Just a quick note for anyone interested. The ARC thrift store at 7485 E Iliff Ave (303) 752-2731, has two sets of very realistic looking potted palm trees. My description won't do them justice, but each 2 1/2' tall pot contains three palm trees that are around 10-12' in height. In addition, it doesn't appear (at least to my untrained eye) that any of the fronds are missing. Obviously something donated from a serious decorator or from a restaurant/business, these items are priced at $199 ea. I don't know what the market price is for such items, but I have a feeling you'd be hard pressed to find similar for the same $. I wish I had the cash and the ability to store these, but maybe one of you do. I've never really watched an item at a thrift store, so I'm uncertain if the price will come down or sent to another location, if it doesn't sell within a certain time.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

T

hi

i was just seeing how the event went on the 16th? how the sign went over and if you have pics?

thanks

Aloha el,

I'm currently putting together an event recap (with pics) and hope to have it posted very soon.

Regarding the event and the sign, both went over extremely well! Though the weather was blustery, we had 30 participants for the competition, with a few more joining us at the Red Lantern.

More on both, in a very short while.

-Eleio

MD

I'm putting this here.....but also there, or I'm gonna start my own thread, because I live in my own happy world anyway.
I'm looking for other Colorado tiki artists for a winter spring show I'd like to put together.
Not for a couple of months.
I know of myself and Doppelganger studios and maybe one more.
But p.m. if ya know of any others and we'll have a reason to have a tiki show and party.
All my luv....Mr. Dale

Aloha folks.

Just a heads up that I've posted the Tiki Links recap on the thread of the same name.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

Aloha!

The summer has finally come to a close and though we were once only strangers, we've progressed far from just a simple forum thread (originally in the TC Ohana section) and have gathered often and laughed even more. Through a variety of events, discussions and projects, we have formed a bond greater than that of just a shared interest.

In tiki terms, we have become an Ohana.

In celebration and support of this, Tiki-el has created this most excellent work for the general use of the group.

Can you spot the "C" from the Colorado flag?

The sign is approx. 4 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. Though there are future plans to create some kind of flip-out stand, eyelet screws have been installed on the top for hanging.

If you wish to use the sign, just simply post it on this thread and arrange to pick it up from whomever is currently in possession. Though nobody specifically owns it, it is the responsibility of the person currently in possession, to make sure the sign is kept in good condition.

If you wish to alter or enhance the sign, please respect the original artist and his vision and contact Tiki-el before doing so.

Tiki-el specializes in Tiki style tattoos at Freaky's Tattoo and Body Piercing in Boulder.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-09-23 00:26 ]

A little bird told me that The Hut is looking to Oceanic Arts for some of their decor. Not sure what or how much, but it's assuring to know that the right resources are being tapped for Denver's tiki enjoyment.

MD

That is COOL! Tiki-el, may we use its during our Denver tiki show? Kind of hang it in front? I don't know when yet, but Winter sometime.

Do you have some tiki art you'd like to show?

Mr. Dale

Aloha Dale!

At the moment, I have it. When will you need it?

Mahalo!

-Eleio

MD

Don't know yet. But I'll let ya know. Thanks a TON, Dale

For all of you Dcnver area folks, the Denver Art Museum opened up its new wing and there is a nice but small selection of Papau New Guinea Tiki items on display. One great chair and a shield and house carving piece that are really nice. Fun to see some real Oceanic art.

Aloha MatterHorn.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm know there are a number of lurkers who also appreciate the info.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-10-09 15:02 ]

T

Ok Bad news today My Fiance lost her job today. the good news is she is not loosing it until the end of the year but this does mean big changes.

I'm going to have to stop Tattooing for a little wile. at this time she going to get a new (probably less paying) job. we want to stay in the Denver Colorado aria but her work will probably not allow it. I'm just not making enough to support us both at the level we are now (just eking by)

So I'm going to have the a new job just for a bit.

But you all can help by Buying my art (most of it cheaply) or if you are in the Boulder, Denver aria com get some tattoo work that would be super cool

If you want some art just send me a message and I'll quote you a price
You can see the art for sale at my http://j-lew2021.deviantart.com/gallery/

thanks for all your help
Jon

P.S. Buy some art... Please

Hey El,

Really sorry to hear the bad news. Things just seem to be getting tougher for everyone in the area. I'll make sure to get the word out to a couple other groups I'm in contact with.

Also, what does your fiance do? Someone on TC might have a contact and could help.

I'll PM you for prices on your work.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-11-01 23:04 ]

T

ok everyone

i have a great place for TIKI drinks in Boulder...

"The Hungary Toad" I know that is doesn't sound like a "TIKI" bar... and it is not really. But the Tiki drinks on the drink menu are great... I recommend the Kill Zombie, U.F.O, or the Joint Loosner, The food is good but the Menu is all over the place, they have Fijats, Pasta, Burgers and just about any thing esle you could want... but the highlight for me are the TIKI drinks and the price is reasonable ranging from $5.50 to 6.00 for a pint of booze a great deal...

Aloha Tiki-el,

Thanks for the heads up!

My lady and I plan to be in Boulder before Christmas and will have to check it out.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

MD

Thanks Tiki-el.......have to go sometime.......
And just to add......Swing Thai locations in Denver carry a few also......the Thai-tanic is a great green monster highly recommened by my intoxicated self.

T

you all have bee quite lately... well i hope that you all in denver have a happy holidays

Hello! Back in Denver after some interestig stuff.

Sorry I missed the golf thing but I can assure you that I would of rather did that than what was going on. Big work changes and that matters.

Aloha Dave!

No worries about Tiki Links. Your professional life obviously takes priority and since I've also been having some similar experiences in the last couple of months, I can definitely sympathize.

In addition to Tiki Links II (summer 07'), more projects are coming. Just keep an eye out for info.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

Thanks that you caer on this front. It's been tough getting going on fun things in the summer months. I really hope 2007 easees up a bit. ? I would love to do some tiki especially when I think of all this snow..

T

i;m looking for a good bar with good tiki drinks in denver... ccan any one help?

T

i;m looking for a good bar with good tiki drinks in denver... ccan any one help? send me a PM

The Red Lantern served up some excellent tiki libation for Tiki Links.

MD

Kinds far but how often is there any hint of tiki in the Mtns?

May Palace chinese restraunt in Glenwood Springs serves up cheap but tasty chinese and Thai food as well as Zombies, Mai Tais and Scorpion Bowls in actual tiki and skull mugs. Didn't get one as I was playing with my kiddos but its a nice find anyway.

Right on Grand Ave within walking distance across the bridge from the pool.

MD

Hey.....what do you know......haha.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies