Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies

TF

Here is some schedule info.

4:00 - 6:00pm Cocktail hour croquet and Mai tais ( light snacks )

6:00 - 8:30 Happy Hour with island treats ala Chef TIki Fink

8:30 - 9:30 Ukulele Loki at sunset

9:45 - The Mysterious Island Gamelan

10:30 - Island Warrior happy hour!!!! How much can you take?
Remember there are MDM brethren in Vegas tryin' to out do us.

MD

Aloha......I'm gonna try and make both of 'em. If'n the little ones will let us.....Daddy needs tanked!

Looks like we are adding some xtra fun to the gig on Saturday. There will be Tiki Trivia for door prizes and videos for those who are interested, so brush up on the Tiki info and you could win some Tikiriffic prizes!

T.F.

Woah.. Two weekends, two Tiki Parties. This is great! Count on two for each party! We will be there!

Aloha folks!

My wahine and I are eagerly looking forward to visiting the Mysterious Isle and seeing you all this weekend.

Just one thing I needed to bring up for next weeks party.

Anyone interested in taking part in the Lei making class needs to PM me by Friday. The $17 for the class (which includes the lei) will be due that Saturday. We have about half the number we need to have the class, so please let me know ASAP.

Thanks and Mahalo!

TF

Hey Denver Ohana.

Hope to see yall on the Island TONIGHT!!!

T.F.

Hey all and especially the Finks- my wahine and I enjoyed the party last night. Lots of great people, fun, entertainment, conversation and drinks. My hat is off to the Jungle Cruise punch- a potent and delicious drink!!! I look forward to more Denver tiki events. Thanks again to Mr. Tiki Fink and his lovely wife.

I just wanted to chime in and thank the Finks for throwing an excellent party!

My wahine and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and appreciate all the effort made to make their mysterious island so welcoming and enjoyable. The drinks, games, food and entertainment were all top-notch.

Thanks also to Zulu for the trivia contest and supplying hard copies of the next Denver Tiki newsletter.

Mahalo and thanks again!

Think you've had enough Tiki excitement for the summer?

Think again.

The Denver Ohana: Summer of Tiki Madness continues!

The island feast is planned to occur sometime between 4-5.

Aloha attitudes, attire and tiki mugs will be most welcome!

May the winds fill you sails as you journey to our festive celebration.

See you there!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-25 10:53 ]

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:54 ]

Wow.

We survived! A big Tiki Fink thanks to all who attended! We really had a great time and are looking forward to making this an annual event. Bigger and better next year!

Special thanks to Zulu for all of yor help and participation.

Now on to Elio's gig!

Mahalo!

T.F.

Aloha everyone!

The very fine folks at Tiki Magazine want the Denver Ohana to be aware of their support and have sent a number of nice giveaways that I'll have available at the party this weekend. Denver Ohana gets first dibs, but I'll be making the rest available to those attending after sundown. Zulu and Matterhorn PM me your addresses and I'll make sure get a few of each.

Furthermore, to bring a little tiki education to the masses, Tiki Magazine has also sent along a number of current and back issues for our party-goers perusal.

Finally, make sure to wear your aloha best as pictures of the Ohana will be taken for possible publication in the Fall issue. Fink, if you send me shots of your party, I'll make sure they accompany mine.

Mahalo!

T

sorry that i didn't make it to the tiki finks... i got wicked sick but i'm going to try to go to the july 1 party

Woops!

That's what I forgot to do. Take Pics. Did anyone bring their camera to the Luau on Saturday? Hope so. Let me know..

T.F.

I got this cool idea from Zulu and I would like to put this out to to the Denver Ohana for your imput. During the planning stages of the Tiki Fink Luau, Zulu mentioned to me that an outdoor movie would make a nice addition to the Luau. I was concerned about space around my Tiki bar area so I decided that it might prove impractial.

I really love the idea of a more casual gathering where Tiki or beach theme movie is shown outdoors. Outside the context of a larger party with food and all the trappings, my home bar is ideal for just such an event. Substitute the catering for popcorn and walllla.

I am thinking about a date in mid to late August. The first movie would be From Hell it Came . Comments? Ideas? Questions?

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:54 ]

TF

Zulu:

Thank goodness someone took pictures. After my second Adventureland Punch the video recorder in my head became severely de-magnetized. Wow. I wonder how my bar looks on film. With people and everything..

T.F.

A quick musical request.

Though the tiki music selection at the party should be fairly diverse, I'm hoping that someone might have a CD of classic surf guitar music that they could bring. The only tracks I currently have of this style are from the Pulp Fiction CD and I'd like to offer a little more variety.

Oh and if anyone has the actual Tiki Room song and might be willing to share, that would be mucho appreciated.

Mahalo!

I like the movie idea Fink!

Here's some ideas on what you could call it.

-MasterFink Theatre
-MasterFink's Tiki Theatre
Both should only be verbalized using a stuffy brit accent

-Fink's Tiki Flicks

TF

Dude:

Masterfink theatre is what I am looking for. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that one... C ya on Sat.

T.F.

Aloha Eleio,

I would just like to RSVP for myself and the girlfriend for this Saturday. I haven't posted here but am a big fan of the site and am always on the lookout for Tiki in Denver.

I'd be more than happy to bring my Dick Dale surf guitar CD and let me know it there is anything else you may need.

Mahalo,

ScottyTiki

Aloha everyone!

I'm neck deep in prep, so this will be my final reminder for the party tomorrow.

Come one, come all, come have a ball at the Tiki Party tomorrow!

Please see previous posts for info

If you can't make it, then may your travels be safe and untroubled this weekend.

If you can, then you will be welcomed to our humble celebration with open arms, good food and cold libations.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

PS-ScottyTiki: Thanks for the offer of using the Dick Dale CD! Just bring it to the bar and I'll include it in the line-up.

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-30 11:25 ]

TF

Eleio:

Thanks for the shindig! It was fun hanging out in your Tiki Scene. The ambiance really worked well. After dark that place makes for a pretty rockin' paradise.

T.F.

Aloha to everyone and a big thank you to those who attended the party!

A lot of creative thinking, a good amount of elbow grease and an excellent group of new tiki enthusiasts made for a most enjoyable and memorable Tiki party. Enchanted by exotica music and surrounded by tiki decor, cold tiki drinks were enjoyed and many festive conversations were had as the pig roasted and the palm trees swayed. After a delicious island themed feast, the lights dimmed, the torches were lit and a darker, more exotic atmosphere permeated the celebration. Finally, after serving many more drinks to our guests and even offering a few of them as sacrifice to the volcano smile, the time sadly approached for torch lit farewells and dreams of future exotic revels to come.

The effort was not perfect in every sense, but the enthusiasm was plentiful and the intent was sincere. In addition to The Book of Tiki, generously donated copies of Tiki Magazine were also on hand that delighted and enlightened many an attendee. Because of this, the world of Tiki has been opened to some and further explored by many others.

Thanks for the kind words Fink. It was great being able to chat some more with you and throw around some ideas for future tiki revels.

Oh, and one last party related item. Our enthusiasm got the best of my friends and I and we bought about twice as much party supplies as we used. Therefore, at the suggestion of a few of our guests, we'll not be taking down decorations and boxing up tiki mugs. Nosireebob! Don't hang up your leis just yet. We're oiling up the torches, cutting up more fruit for garnish and our humble tiki party, featuring Eleio's Lost Island Lounge, will have one last summer hurrah! Mark your calendars as we'll be offering our final dose of aloha attitude on Saturday, August 5th for *Tiki Party 2: Exotica Boogaloo (6:30pm-?). No costs for drinks (donations will be accepted if we begin to run a little dry) and we'll be offering the best Chinese that will deliver to the site (donations will be gratefully accepted).

What can I say? We don't want the magic to end.

Anyway, thanks again and Mahalo!

*If sane minds prevail, we may not call the party by this name.

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-06 20:37 ]

TF

Damn,8/05/06 the Tiki Finks are off to Valley Ho in Scottsdale for the TC Trader Vic's dealio.

Both your lovely lady and you will be missed, but I hope you two have a most excellent time!

T

i found the thread again! i lost it there for a moment...

Once again I'm lame i double booked my self for the party on the 1st sorry guys i hope all went great... well take it easy

Aloha folks!

Just thought I'd throw up a couple of photos from the party.

Daytime, before guests began arriving.

Wilbur

Lesson learned-Don't take flash photos from behind the bar. Can you spot the TC'ers?

Darkness!

Worshippers of the volcano

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-06 00:24 ]

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-06 08:05 ]

Eleio,

It was great to meet yourself, Barb, Tiki Fink and everyone else. You really outdid yourselves with the food, drinks and amazing decor.

Mahalo for the good time.

-Scott

Z

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:55 ]

Aloha Scotty and Zulu!

I'm glad that both of you enjoyed the party and I hope to get the CD back to you when you stop by the second party. No pressure :wink:. If not, just PM me with your address and I'll make sure you get it back.

Zulu, I'm glad your journey went well and I look forward to serving both your lovely wife and yourself at my humble bar. Regarding the second party, please let me know if you intend to publish another newsletter prior. If so, I'd like to send you a copy of the invite and some other specifics. If not, would you mind bringing a few paper copies to the party? Though some guests may not be interested in digging further into this world, if the last party was an indication, there'll be a few who'll definitely be interested in picking up a copy.

Aloha folks!

Couple of quick questions.

-One facet of Fink's party that really blew my wife and I away was the live entertainment. I'd also like to incorporate some form of live performance into the next party and am wondering if anyone out there knows someone who'd be willing to perform for a bit. It could be anything from bongo playing to hula dancing, so long as there is a tiki connection. However, because of the financial investment in these parties, my friends and I really only have drinks, food and friendship to offer as compensation. Tip jars or a pass the hat would be acceptable, with advanced notice.

-Do we have a graphic artist in our midst? I'm working on a tiki themed activity for September and may be interested in featuring the work of a local artist.

Please let me know if you have any info on either of these.

Mahalo!

I do graphics--have a LOT of tiki-style photoshop projects in my repertoire

Aloha everyone!

Just a reminder to log into TC from time to time.

You never know when someone has sent you a PM.

Also, if you prefer that all conversations be kept on the open forum, please make the sender of a PM message aware of this.

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:56 ]

No worries.

The intent of my post was to avoid sending folks double messages.

Apologies if this appeared otherwise.

Mahalo

D DDDDD d D d d Dang ...

Just in case some of you don't have a My Space page there is an announcement from Tiki Boyd's. There will be a Tiki Boyd's night at The Old Curtis Street Bar tonight
7/11/2006 starting at 9:00pm with guest bartender Melon from Tiki Boyds.

I may or may not be there. Haven't decided yet. If anyone else is going I probably will for an hour or so.

T.F.

Sorry man,

I'd join you, but I've got things to do tonight.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mahalo!

T

i'm an artist i have done lost of tiki stuff it s some of my favorite stuff to do. you can see some of it at
j-lew2021.deviantart.com/gallery i would love to do some of you guys p.m. me and let me know
Jon

Tiki at a Mile High!
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: tiki-el 2006-07-12 06:40 ]

TF

Did anyone here go to the Tiki Boyd's dealio last night? If so how did it go?

Gest checkin'

T.F.

TF

On Drinking and Drag Racing.

On 2006-06-25 18:09, ZuluMagoo wrote:

At the height of the luau, I counted 43 guests, nice turnout. Fantastice event, food and especially the drinks ( I second Matterhorn, the Adventureland Punch was great).

Zulu

Here is the Adventureland punch thing again just in cas you want to try this at home.

This libation when mixed properly should resemble the murky blue green water often found in amusement parks. Like Matterhorn said to me, " greenish blue to hide the tracks ", OoooH Yuck! Come on Dive in!

The Concentrate:
It is stronly suggested that you make this mix in bulk prior to service.
Midori
Malibu Rum
Pyrat Blanco Rum
Blue Curacao
Orgeat Syrup
Pineapple Juice
Orange Juice
( The key is to balance the sweetness with the power of rum. Make it STRONG! )
Service Method:
After adding ice to your favorite mug add soda water then AP mix then another splash of soda. Top with a floater of dark rum, garnish and suck em' up! 2 of these should knock you on your ass!

Enjoy!

T.F.

FUN ALERT!!!!!!

Oh, and just a little reminder about my FAVORITE event of the Summer.

This weekend is the Mopar Mile High Nationals. Friday and Saturday are qualifying days and they rock because you get to see more of the big stuff, ( Top Fuel and Funny Car ), than on Sunday. Friday night kicks ass because you can see the ten food header flames. Sunday is the real race though. Anyone from TC who is interested in hooking up for this on Sunday, PM me and let me know. I will be having a post race wind down at my home bar on Sunday evening.

Lots of H20, ice cold beer & Burgers on the grill as this is what you NEED after a day of this nitro burnin'insanity.

If you haven't ever seen real top notch professional Drag Racing before, this will absolutely blow your mind!

May the Force be with you. John Force that is.

This is the Fink in Tiki Fink.

Over and out!

Aloha tiki-el!

I checked out your link and that is some incredible work!

Your talents are a definite asset to the Ohana and I'd like to chat with you offline about some ideas for the event.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:57 ]

TF

Thanks for the intel Zulu!

I had a feeling that the Old Curtis thing would be pretty half hearted.

As for the Boyd's thing, it is remarkably sad that the inspiration is fading. The Modern Drunkard crowd really needs it's own dedicated press club. That element alone really made Tiki Boyd's kind of special.

I for one am determined to get behind The Hut. I really hope that they dedicate a good amount of space to their bar and make it one of those places that you hate to leave once you have settled in.

T.F.

MD

I've been talking on and off with Troy Worgull who is the Architech behind "the Hut". He's doing his best to make it right although he doesn't quite know all there is about tiki and who's who. He did mention Bosko is in on it....and thats good. If anything goes wrong with the Bosko lead I'll do my best to introduce Troy to Bamboo Ben.
I did send him some pictures.....but with all the talent there is in the tiki world its a long shot. I'm just a bump on the ass of some of the amazing tiki artists and designers there are out there.
But either way.....I'll be there inhaling the beauty of it all....

If they're involving Bosko and at least making an attempt to do it right, then I feel more optimistic about the end product. A shame that none of us are creating such a place.

T

Eleio

I sent you a PM i hope you got it... I'm looking forward to doing some work for you... talk to you soon
thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies