Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies

Welcome to TC Outrigger Dave! More Colorado Ohana!! Excellent!

T.F.

MD

Welcome Dave! An Arvada boy too! Where ya live?

Tiki Fink.....howz about "Tiki Den Fink fest", Says it all doesn't it? Has a nice rhime to it to.

MD

Or...."Denver Finks Tiki Fest" Gotta lay ownership to it ya know.

Like the branding idea!

If anyone has suggestions for entertainment please post. I am looking into booking Ukelele Loki and a Javanese Gamelan so far.

T.F.

Anything that has to do with a Tiki gathering sounds good to me!

For a name, how about The Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks?

Just a thought. What do you think?

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:52 ]

C

I like Outrigger's suggestion, but with one small change:

Luau at the Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks

T

sorry to change the subject, but has any one seen the add in the Westword for a tiki loung in the Ramada where Boyd's used to be? i was just seeing if anyone had more info? I'm just not suer if Boyd's is back or if the hotel took what was there and is now doing something with out Boyd involved.

TF

Dave:

That's the ticket. Your Idea really got me thinking. Visit the island of the Tiki Finks, live among them, do as they do, observe their savage rituals, if only for the evening.

Im' sold. The Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks #1 it is!

T.F.

Just saw the ad for the Tiki Lounge at Rockmada. What's the scoop? I wonder if it is as lame as I think. What's in a name? Tiki Lounge? Now somebody really spent time with their thinkin' fez on to come up with that one.

T.F.

TF

OK, here's the reply to my own question. The former Tiki Boyd's now known as Tiki Lounge, is pretty terrible. I had to investigate after hearing about the ad in Westword. I was only there for about five minutes but they now have where once was some thoughtful decor, a bunch of fake surfboards and Cabo- Waboesque liquor shwag. The lighting levels have been turned up too much and to top it all off they were blasting The Scorpions. Not the good kind, the kind you can drink mind you.

As for their Tiki pool party, it was strictly guarded by barrel chested gents with walkie talkies and ear buds. How relaxing!

I guess you can call anything you like Tiki but you can also call SPAM food.

T.F.

I say this from personal experience and to the best of my knowledge.

The person running "Tiki Lounge" has no real concept of Tiki and no real interest in either the theme or lifestyle. This person has no intent to spend the actual $ it would require to transform this pitiful location into a true Tiki locale and has taken advantage of numerous individuals in order to capitalize on their talents, expertise and knowledge to further his own skewed vision and fill his wallet.

T

thats what is feels like but i was just checking and seeing if it was worth a dam... but is not

Aloha!

Just re-reading my recent post and was hoping that I didn't come off as terse to anyone. I know my words were strong, but they are pointed at the management of the establishment and nobody else.

Mahalo

T

I think your ok... but it had to be said... i'm ok with it

I was wondering about the Old Boyd's place. Now I know. Guess I will continue to spend my bucks at the Ol' Sky Chicken.

BTW, Did I actually name the luau or something like that? Just wondering.

Dave:

I meant to send you a personal message about your name idea. Just so you know I am definitely going with it so, thank you! I am getting into the nitty gritty of the planning phase for this Luau with the valued assistance of Zulu. For your information and everyone else as well ( Denver Ohana ), the date is set for Saturday June 24th from 4:00pm - 10:00pm ( Or whenever the torches burn out ) . I will send out more info as I have it.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas for the name of the event!

T.F.

MD

I, for one, can't say anything bad about the former tiki Boyds management....they were good to me, always nice, and lined my wallet nicely with the purchase of the Moai I carved for them. It did take some time to do it but it got done.
On the other hand, I feel tiki is something ya gotta understand, live and wonder about. Ya just can't put up a surf board, mix some drinks and call it done. Its takes real effort to do it right. And when its right, ya know it.
Best of luck to 'em I say. And best of luck to the next guy who knows what its all about.

TF

Dale:

Your Moai is still there. Just sowz ya knowz. It is by far the best thing in the place. It would look better at my house though. lol

T.F.

T

Boyds management was great the new place uh.... not so much

Aloha everyone.

Regarding my statement about Tiki Lounge (aka Tiki Boyd's). Just so you know, my comments weren't directed at the "Boyd's" portion of the bar. If anything, that group and one of the bar staff, were the people who had an idea of the concept and the willingness to implement it. To be polite, I'm not mentioning the name of the one individual (the general manager) whom I was referring to. Though the Boyd's people and that one bar employee have left, this person is still running the place.

I realize that some of you have had different experiences. This was just mine.

Mahalo!

TF

I am going to say that Tiki Lounge is just another zit on the face of the Denver bar scene. On a related note, the place to likely have been the new Tiki Boyd's is another such blemish. Someone got their paws on what used to be a pretty elegant property and sheepishly turned The Lounge into a rathole of dubious necessity. Too bad. That place would have made for a very interesting Tiki Bar. Cool spaces, outside patio, the works. Sigh.

T.F.

TF

But Hey......

On a positive note, construction has begun on the S.S. Ratfink (My Home Bar), and she'll be ready for a shakedown cruise by this weekend. By the time the Luau rolls around she'll be spit and polish and ready to sling some fine cocktails to the fine Denver Ohana!

T.F.

Aloha again!

On a completely different subject, I have some dear friends who have given in to my "Tiki tendencies" and have allowed me to design and host a very large party to celebrate two birthdays and a ten year anniversary. The reason I tell you this is twofold.

1. I'm in need of some help and expertise. I have the vision and some items for decor, but the location of the party (an old library that has been converted to a home) is very large and what I have, in addition to what I have the time and money to make, will certainly fall short of truly "tikifying" the place. Therefore, any decor items you may be willing to lend towards this endeavor, would be greatly appreciated. The party will be occurring on Saturday, July 1st and I can go into much more detail if there is interest.

2. With all the summer parties in the works, please add the date above to your calendars. In all, roughly 150+ guests are expected throughout the day and night and all the Denver Ohana is cordially invited! Since the guest list is so extensive and diverse (each friend and the couple have their own independent guest lists), it seems impolite to not invite the very people who have the best idea of the what the lifestyle is all about. I will warn you all that this will be the first Tiki experience for many of the guests and that your patience will also be appreciated. Though the daytime hours will have more of a beach/tropics theme, I'm focusing on "bustin' a serious tiki groove" once the sun sets. A full invite (including location ((Denver-near I-70 and I-25))and directions) will follow in about a week and I hope you can all make it.

Finally, I have a question for you.

Regarding the party, I've been practicing my tiki mixology skills for a little while and need you input as I'll be acting as the main bartender. Essentially, I'm looking to create a menu of drinks that will primarily cover a large portion of the tiki spectrum. I'll be including Rum and Coke as one item, just so I have something that will be familiar to everyone attending. One factor to also consider is since I'm not a professional bartender, I plan to do some pre mixing. Basically, I'd like to have the base ingredients pre-mixed and add the final touches (the juices and exotic ingredients) by hand during the final mixing. My plan is to focus on garnishes, I'm trying to cut down the per drink time, in other areas.

The drink list for the party will feature a maximum of 6 tiki drinks and one or two beers. In case you're wondering, I do plan to buy a copy of the Grog Log, but don't have a copy at the moment.

The drinks I've already placed on the menu are:
-Banana Banshee (several successfull trials with this drink)
-Yellow Bird
-Rum and Coke (explained above)
-?
-?
-?
*I'm going to have a special volcano bowl drink, but it won't be available to the general public.

Any suggestions?

Regarding the beer, Red Stripe will be one of the two selections. Any ideas on what else? Please keep your suggestions to something that can be obtained in the Denver market.

One question for Tiki Fink. Referring back to one of your earlier posts, I plan to include a request for alcohol contributions in the invite. In a previous email, you mentioned having a selection of Tiki Mugs and other tiki items that you would make available to TC'ers at a 15% discount. Would it be possible if I could send the invited guests to your store for the same discount? Maybe have them present the invite as proof? If not, I'll try to get $ donations sent in advance and purchase from you directly. This will be much more difficult to accomplish, but possible.

Also, regarding your mugs. You wouldn't happen to be planning to carry a volcano, or a line on a Trader Vic's Kava Bowl, would you? I plan to have at least one volcano for the party and the Kava Bowl is intended for the anniversary couple.

Whew. That's it for the moment folks. Thanks for your patience with the length of this email.

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-01 09:13 ]

TF

Elio:

That would be fine if your friends are up to the trek out here. As for beer, a true Pacific Rim beer that is readily available just about anywhere is Steinlager from New Zealand.

MARKETPLACE NEWS:

The big 3' Tikis that you may have seen on the marketplace thread have made it to Colorado Target. I just purchased one about an hour ago from the Target in Glendale and not only was it on sale but it is very nice looking. Sorry no pic, but you can see one on the marketplace thread. $43.00inc tax!

T.F.

Aloha Tiki Fink,

Many thanks for your generosity! I'll make sure that everyone is aware that it's only tiki related alcohols and mugs and that they'll need to show their invite in order to get the discount.

May the tikis bless you with favor.

Also, I followed up on your post about the tikis at Target. For what they are, they ain't too shabby. I may attempt to purchase one or two for the party. Can't afford the real ones, so they'll make a decent substitute. Thank you for making us aware!

Mahalo!

Hello again,

I've been reading some posts and felt it would be a good idea to let everyone know that in my earlier post about the party, I was in no way claiming to be any kind of kind of old hand at tiki. True, you probably guessed from my few posts that I'm not extremely fluent in the Polynesian pop arts, but I felt it should be known.

Furthermore, if you do plan to attend the party, and I hope you will, not only do I hope you'll be patient and encouraging to the other guests, but to myself as well.

I'm really enjoying all of this (tiki, Polynesia, etc.) and am only trying to put my best foot forward. I just don't want my enthusiasm being misinterpreted as arrogance.

That's it.

Thanks for your time and mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-02 00:33 ]

T

i'm in just let me know when and were a couple drink ideas (and some of my faves)

Zombie
melon-ball - its real easy O.J. vodka and midouri
mix O.J. and vodka and add midouri until it is a bright lime green garnish with lime

Aloha Tiki-el,

Excellent! Those are both right-on-target suggestions.

That should cover the spectrum, with one exception.

I've heard of a Kahlua tiki drink with Bailey's and other ingredients and I'm hoping someone may know what this is. I've found quite a few obviously Irish concoctions with these ingredients and maybe this drink is just one of these that's been "tiki-fied", but I'm hoping one of you might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Mahalo!

TF

I am pleased to announce this event. The first annual Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks, to be held on Saturday, June 24th from 4:00pm - 10:00pm (or whenever the torches run out of fuel). The event starts with cocktail hour and rounds of croquet for Mai Tais, followed with island treats and at sunset, the musical stylings of Colorado's own, Ukulele Loki!

No cover no tickets! As we the Tiki Finks are providing the food, beverage and entertainment, we simply ask anyone who wishes to attend for a donation of whatever seems reasonable.

Hope to see you there!!!!!

Any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Info on Loki http://www.ukuleleloki.com

Graphics courtesy of Zulu Magoo. Thanks Zulu!!!!!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-06-03 17:36 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-06-03 17:40 ]

TF

More stuff and things.

Looks like we have a Gamelan to drift us off into the night for Fink Island.

T

I would like to come to The first annual Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks but I don't get off work until nine on Saturdays and I'm coming form Boulder do you think that you'll be going that long? well if not maybe i'll just have to come to the next one.

TF

Tiki-El:

I am sure you will catch the last two hours at least.

T.F.

My beloved wahine and I will be there.

Z

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:53 ]

T

well good i'm in
my girl and i will be there tiki's in hand

TF

Hello All!

Thanks for the response! We are looking forward to having everyone over to the Shack!

T.F.

Count me in! + 1 Sounds like a super cool time!

TF

Outrigger Dave:

I should hope you can make it , you named the damed thing after all!!

Cheers!

T.F.

Aloha folks!

Found a cool little shop today and thought I'd share.

The Little Grass Shack-Spreading Aloha with Fresh Flower Leis.
2343 W. 44th Ave.
Denver, CO 80211
720-974-4090

They also have a selection of Hawaiian treats, music, beads and some art.

One suggestion I'll be making to my friends for our party is that we host a lei making class. We'll need an 8 person minimum and the cost is $14 per person for the supplies (orchids, needles and string) and $30 for the instructor. I'm not a florist, but I haven't been able to find anyone who could make leis cheaper in this city. For that matter, I haven't found anyone (till now) who made leis in Denver. The wife and I spent nearly $90 for a pair of carnation leis that were shipped from Hawaii in December, so this is a major find for us. In addition to the classes, she also has a wide variety of leis that can be pre ordered and some Kukui nut and shell leis available on site.

Little Grass Shack's web address is: http://www.SpreadingAloha.com
I'll warn you; however, that her site will be down until the beginning of next week.

Just thought I'd spread the word.

Mahalo!

Quiet around here lately..

I hope that the Denver Ohana are getting ready for the Luau. It's going to be great to see all of you! Special offerings to the Tiki gods for good weather. We here at the Tiki Finks shack have been putting our new bar through some rigorous testing lately! I do believe we are go for launch!

Cheers!

T.F.

T

just saying i'm ready...

if any one is looking for tiki tattoos i just opened my new shoppe in Boulder it is on 28th and Valmont. the shoppe is called Freakys at 2870 28th st. phone is 303 413 0420 ask for Jon Lew (thats me) i'll get you all a good deal if you say that you saw the post on the tiki message boards

Aloha Ohana!

You are cordially invited to attend a day and a night of island insanity, frivolity and hospitality.

Tiki Party

Saturday, July 1st
1pm-?
1901 E 47th Ave-Denver

$5 requested donation for the drinks

When you return from your revel on the Mysterious Island of the Tiki Finks, be sure to mark your calendars for the next installment of this summer's Denver Ohana Tiki madness is only a week away!

The site is a spacious converted library (now a home), located near the Denver Collesium. Parking is off street, but plentifull.

In the front yard-Luau games and revelry.
In the back yard-Food, Drinks, shade and more revelry.
Inside-Eleio's Lost Island Lounge and lot's of AC.
Everywhere-Great people, much fun, excellent food and cool Tiki and Beach tunes.

Children are welcome, but please keep in mind that this will be a party for adults.

Food:
Roast Whole Pig (cuban style)
"Samoan" Sweet Potatoes
Polynesian Rice
Pineapple Fruit Boats
Assorted Salads
Breads
Coconut Cake

Lost Island Lounge Menu:
Yellow Bird (From Colorado's eldest Tiki-esque establishment: The Original Castaways)
Banana Banshee
Rums and Cola
Tropical Beer (not sure what, this isn't my call)
Soft Drinks
Iced Tea
Specialty Concoctions??? (Is that a rumbling volcano I hear in the distance?)
*I wanted to add more drinks, especially those suggested by the Ohana, but we're trying to budget a day and night party for 100. Your requested $5 donation will be heartily accepted and may help expand our evening drink menu.

Luau Games:
Hula Hoops
Flamingo Ring Toss (only for a short while...I promise)
Best Hawiian Shirt
Limbo Contest

Again, as I said before, this will be the first Tiki experience for some of my party partners in crime and many of those attending, so your attendance is eagerly encouraged and your patience will be heartfully appreciated.

Lei Making Class-The ultimate expression of island welcome. The Little Grass Shack is offering a 1 Hr. lei making class at the party for $17 per person (nearly the price of the flowers alone!), from 3p-4p. A minimum of 10 people must RSVP by Friday, June 23rd, for the class to occur. Class attendees will create their very own single strand purple orchid leis, in addition to learning the customs and history of this time honored tradition. Denver Ohana, please PM me to RSVP.

Please contact me if you have any questions and I hope to see you there!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-14 16:22 ]

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-21 11:11 ]

TF

Eleio:

Thanks for the invite! Looks like you are going all out.

At least one Fink will be there. My wife is a manager at Whole Foods and I can rarely suss her ever changing schedule.

Cheers!

T.F.

I hope she can make it, but no worries Fink. Sometimes life gets in the way of living.

Thanks for the kind words on our little shin-dig. I'm lucky to be working with some very good, very enthusiastic friends who seem to have caught the tiki bug.

BTW-It was great meeting you and seeing your shop today. Excellent selection of mugs, libations and expert advice. All that and your generous TC discount to boot. What more could I ask for? Your help has ensured that a volcano will definitely be appearing (at least in a limited sense) at the party.

Looking forward to visiting your island and meeting your tribe....next week. I don't know why I got this weekend and next confused.

Mahalo!

T

i'm in july 1 i'm so there

TF

Ok.. The big shindig is only a week away so I thought I would put out a reminder and a little happy camper list for the bash.

#1. I strongly suggest that you have a good meal prior to the Luau. There will be plenty of snacks and goodies, but if you intend to take full advantage of the bar make sure that you are ready for it!!!

#2. Bring a picnic blanket because that will be your seat should you want to recline on the lawn during the entertainment. You can stash it in your vehicle until show time.

#3. Observe the weather and dress appropriately as this is mostly an outdoor event.

#4. Don't forget your favorite mug!

#5. Flip flops, sandalls and the like are adviseable.

#6. Bring your Aloha Spirit! AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Can't wait to see everyone!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-06-17 17:23 ]

T

love the new poster...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies