Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies

TF

Dale:

I would own one of your Tikis over Bosko any day.

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-07-15 16:11 ]

I thought the interiors for Taboo Cove were pretty decent. His tikis are something else entirely.

TF

Woops. The art snob coming out.... Get back in there. Ahh . that's better.
Now where did I put my damned Mai Tai?

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-07-15 16:17 ]

Aloha folks!

I'm gonna tweak the Tiki Links announcment a bit and then repost.

But while you're waiting remember....

Don't hang up your leis just yet. We're oiling up the torches, cutting up more fruit for garnish and our humble tiki party, featuring Eleio's Lost Island Lounge, will have one last summer hurrah! Mark your calendars as we'll be offering our final dose of aloha attitude on Saturday, August 5th as the Summer of Denver Tiki Madness continues. No costs for drinks this time (donations will be accepted if we begin to run a little dry) and since we've discovered a lack of acceptable Chinese in the area, we're encouraging everyone to dine before arriving and to bring a snack or finger food.

Make sure to stop by to enjoy the last of that "new tiki party" smell.

Oh, one other thing. As some of you noticed from the pictures of the last party, I was a little too wrapped up in playing host and bartender to get some good photos of the Ohana for Tiki Magazine. Well not this time! Those good folks have extended my window for these pics, so I'll be making sure to get them. Therefore, anyone who wants a chance at possibly ending up in the Fall issue, please make it to the party at or near the start. That way the I'll still have the daylight and everyone should still be sober enough to sit still for a picture or two. I still have those giveaways, as well!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-19 00:36 ]

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-31 17:20 ]

MD

Thanks Tiki Fink! I appreciate that. But Bosko does some great work and has probably been doing it the longest.....Can almost be credited with keeping Tiki alive. Even in the 70's when it really started to die. His look is more modern tiki, Florida style. Not my cup but still cool.
Ya know, this thread seems to be the only one I check any more. Just quickly inbetween diapers and work.

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-07-18 16:28 ]

Now that I've got a few of the bugs worked out, here's the first portion of the announcement:

Read further on for more information.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-21 00:27 ]

Oceanic Arts has been added as our final sponsor.

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-21 00:26 ]

So everyone is aware, as soon as I have all sections of the announcement reformated, I'll be moving it all to it's own subject in events.

If you're interested in obtaining the much smaller 2-page flyer, please PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you ASAP.

Mahalo!

And more...

Sounds cool but very very confusing.

No worries, here's the breakdown:

You and a friend, spouse, coworker (hopefully a fellow tikiphile) decide to play as a team. You contact me to RSVP (register) for the tournament and the dinner following (Knowing how many teams will be participating in advance will get us discounts for playing the course and I need a head count to give the restaurant). I will be registering a total of 20-2 person teams for the competition.

Between 4 and 6pm on Saturday, September 16th, you and your partner arrive at Adventure Golf and check in for the tournament (I'll be set up near the entrance) and play through their Jungle Adventure course. When you finish this specific course, turn in your combined score. At the end of the time period, the scores of all the teams will be tabulated. I'll be pairing teams for the competition, meaning that I'll be sending two-2 person teams down the course at the same time. Which 2 teams that will start the course together, will either be determined by random draw (putting names of teams that haven't played yet into a hat) or by first come, first served (if there's only two teams that haven't played ready at the moment, then I'll pair them). Though your team will be playing against another 2 person team on the course, it's the actual score of the individual teams that will count towards the overall competition. This sounds a little more complicated in text than it will be in practice.

There is no fee to take part in the tournament, only for the mini-golf. This means that you won't be charged extra for being in the competition.

It takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to play the entire course, so at 7pm I'll stop taking scores for the competition. That's why you need to be at the course and begin playing by 6pm. Also, Adventure Golf will not give us exclusive use of the course, meaning that people who aren't in the competition will also be able to play the course if they choose to. Therefore, it will take a little time to get everyone through. When you finish, you can either hang out in one of their covered areas and chat with your fellow Ohana, grab a soda at their snack bar or play one of the other 2 courses at a discounted rate of $3. Adventure Golf also has go-karts and drag racers (kind of a go-kart drag race) for an additional fee.

Between 7 and 7:30 (I'll change the time on the announcement) everyone will be leaving Adventure Golf and heading over to Red Lantern Chinese for dinner and the awards ceremony. If everyone shows up and gets through the course earlier than planned, we'll head to Red Lantern earlier. An hour into our dinner, I'll have an awards ceremony where the prizes will be distributed.

Prizes will be awarded to the 3 teams with the lowest combined scores. Prizes will also be awarded for personal achievements, like having the most holes-in-one or for being the first person to score a hole in one at a specific hole.

I gotta run, but I hope this has cleared some things up.

Please keep that feedback coming!

Mahalo!

I am not sure if I missed something but is this a kid friendly event? My two oldest are nuts about mini golf and I think they would get into it. They arent too into tiki stuff hope that is ok.

Also, if I think my shopmate and his family might want to come but again they don't really get the tiki stuff too much. Is this somthing to where you have to be a tiki maniac like me to enjoy?

Sorry I keep adding to this .

What is it going to cost for the banquet fees for after mini golf? Are there kids prices or is there a kiddie menu. Also what is tha age limit for both golf and banquet?

[ Edited by: Outrigger Dave 2006-07-20 10:01 ]

[ Edited by: Outrigger Dave 2006-07-20 11:20 ]

Aloha Dave,

Apologies, but I have very little time to respond at the moment.

Kids are welcome and if there is sufficient interest, there'll be a kids tournament, as well. I might not have prizes for the top three, but I should have one for the overall champion.

I'll be going into the Dinner portion of the event, later this evening. Good prices, but really no time to explain.

Actually, part of the purpose of this tournament is to invite anyone who might be interested in participating. Tikiphile or...tikicurious :) are more than welcome. I'm encouraging aloha attire, so you might want to encourage them to wear Hawaiian shirts, but no worries.

The non-district prices for both Adults and Kids mentioned are for people who live outside the Hyland Hills area.

That's all I have time for, but please keepp those questions coming!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-20 12:55 ]

Elieo:

Just one more question and I promise to shut up. For informatins sake, is this more of a mini golf tournament or a tiki party? I guess what I am trying to find out is what is the connection of tiki and mini golf. I dont want to seem too stupid because I just want to know what to tell my friends it is. Our two families do mini golf at least five or six times every summer and this sounds like a great excuse to squeeze another golf game in. Plus of course I love the tiki stuff so that is for me. Getting my shop mate and his family to wear something that isnt Broncos or Avs might be a stretch. Maybe there is a Broncos aloha shirt somewhere.

Oh and also the adult prices and kids prices for golf and the award banquet..

Thanks for your patience.

Keep it low and slow!

[ Edited by: Outrigger Dave 2006-07-20 14:56 ]

Aloha again Dave!

Regarding the Tiki connection to mini golf. Since the great Tiki recession there's been one place where tiki has managed to survive, at least in some limited aspect: Mini Golf parks. Not all, mind you, but enough to keep the images of a once bygone era still visible.

Why did I chose mini-golf? Because Tiki, like mini golf, appeals to many of us as it touches some part of our childhood selves. It's something fun and competitive all at once and there's no seperation because of age or gender either. Everyone, at some point in their lives, has likely played mini or putt-putt golf and enjoyed it. So I thought it would be fun to get the tiki crowd together, even those new or strangers to tiki, for something a little fun and exotic.

Here's why I chose to have the tournament at Adventure Golf:

Okay, maybe not the most authentic looking, but for Colorado they're not too shaby.
This volcano stands about 14' tall and shoots out giant balls of flame.

And I haven't even included shots of the temple ruins or waterfalls.

Regarding fees:
Standard Adult fee is: $6.95 and Kids (under 13) are $4.95
If I can get 20 adults to sign up the per adult fee will drop to $5 and if all 40 sign up it will be $4.75
I don't think we'll get 20 kids to sign up, so I don't see the child price changing.

Now if you've played in the tournament and have an hour before we head off to Red Lantern, you might consider trying one of the other two courses. After the first game, additional games are discounted to $3 for Adults. I honestly don't know how much discount there is for additional Kids games, but I'll try to find out.

I think that should answer your questions. Sorry for all of the photos, but I scouted the site the other day and had some photos to share.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-20 18:51 ]

Apologies Dave,

I didn't answer your original question.

Tiki Links is a Tiki inspired mini-golf tournament. Aloha attitudes and attire are encouraged, but it shouldn't be a problem if your shopmate and his family aren't thrilled about the Hawaiian clothes. Though there should be plenty of time for the Ohana to socialize, the park doesn't allow alcohol. There is a restaurant/bar across the parking lot, however. The party aspect really doesn't come into play until Red Lantern.

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-22 02:31 ]

Further apologies to everyone for all of the posts.

I just received word from Oceanic Arts, regarding the tournament.

They really really like the whole concept and are willing to support the tournament and our Ohana with either:
A carved war club/paddle or mask as a prize.
They did not specify size or other details and I'm not asking. I feel that being allowed to choose the prize is enough of a liberty.

I'm really taken aback by their offer and I want to make sure the Ohana have a say in this. So, good Ohana, how say you? Post your thoughts tonight and I'll let them know what the consensus is, tomorrow morning.

Thanks a to Elieo!

That place looks pretty tricked out. I have never been there before so it will be cool to go to a new mini golf place. I hate to sound like a nag but if you could post the price for the banquet that would be helpful for planing since I want to bring my family and so does my buddy.

Looks like a lot of fun and thanks for all of that work and information.

Aloha!

Thanks to those who emailed their preference. Since there was no majority in opinion, I've communciated this to OC and they are going to select the item.

Mahalo!

Apologies for the delay on the Red Lantern info, life sometimes gets in the way of living.

Just to get this out of the way, the Red Lantern isn't the Twin Dragon.

The size and decor aren't nearly that of the Twin; However, Red Lantern is only 5-7 minutes away from Adventure Golf versus 30-45 (depending on traffic) minutes for the Dragon. In addition, they are really looking forward to hosting our little gathering and are willing to bend over backwards to accomodate us.

Seperate checks-ok
Lunch Menu combos available for the budget concious-ok (if I can confirm at least 20 for dinner)
Paper wrapped chicken for the pu-pus (an item that's been off their menu for two years)-Done
Reserved seating for 40+-Done

Prices:

Lunch Combos are all under $5 and include Egg Roll, Rice and Fortune Cookie.
Dinner Items are standard Chinese and generally run from $6.95-$8.95 Peking Duck is $19.95 (with 24 hour notice).

Pu-Pu Platters are $8.95 for two and include: 2 Egg Rolls, 4 Fried Shrimp, 2 Barbecue Ribs, 2 Fried Won Tons, Paper Wrapped Chicken and 2 Beef Teriyaki skewers.

They have a limited selection of Tiki Drinks including Zombies and Mai Tais, all served in Tiki Mugs. They have about five tiki drinks, but I only remember the two and I don't want to give incorrect info.

If there is interest, I can scan their menu and email it.

They're not the bigest or brightest on the block, but they instilled in me that they'll do everything possible to make us happy.

Thanks for asking Dave and don't be shy if you have any more questions.

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-22 02:09 ]

Thanks Elieo!!

Barring anything unforseen we will be there all charged up for the competition.

Aloha Ohana!

Just so you know, I've created a seperate thread for Tiki Links. After some consideration, I'd like to keep what info I've already posted on this thread, here.

Fink, Outrigger and HelzTiki have all been added to the roster that I've posted with the announcement on the Tiki Links thread. Please review the info I've included for you and contact me to add or change the info. Each listing is only for 2 people, so if you plan to have more, I need that info ASAP! Otto's announcement went out last night and I'm about to post this on a few different web sights and another community board within the next day or so, not to mention that I'll have flyers at the August 5th party. Therefore, the Ohana has first dibs on the slots, but you need to act pretty soon.

Since this is a first time event, there are a lot of unknowns on how this will all pan out, so I'm planning to stand firm on the 20 team max.

As always, keep those questions and feedback coming!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-07-22 13:01 ]

Hey folks,

Just a quick note to let you know that we've hit the halfway point for teams.

Just give me a jingle if you're interested in playing.

-Eleio

TF

FUN ALERT!

FROM HELL IT CAME
What happens when ages old island magic and modern day radioactivity combine as one?

One very pissed of living Tiki come back to RAISE HELL!

Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter and Tiki On The Town present Tiki Fink Theater.

August 26th 2006. Cocktail hour starts at 7:00 pm movie starts at sunset.
No fees no donation. Just bring your favorite Tiki mug. Tiki Fink Theater will provide radioactive island libations and of course plenty of popcorn.

There is limited seating for this event so RSVP via post, email or PM to Tiki Fink or Zulu Magoo

Hope to see you there!

Mahalo,

T.F.

Address: Tiki Fink's Shack 1415 South Cherry Street Denver, 80222

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-07-24 09:08 ]

Looks like fun!

That day is a little hectic for us, but count us in.

-Eleio

Aloha everyone!

Two quick reminders:

-The openings for the Tiki Links tournament are filling up. Reserve a spot for your team today.

-There's gonna be a tiki party this weekend!

Don't hang up your leis just yet. We're oiling up the torches, cutting up more fruit for garnish and our humble tiki party, featuring Eleio's Lost Island Lounge, will have one last summer hurrah! Mark your calendars as we'll be offering our final dose of aloha attitude on Saturday, August 5th as the Summer of Denver Tiki Madness continues. No costs for drinks this time (donations will be accepted if we begin to run a little dry) and since we've discovered a lack of acceptable Chinese in the area, we're encouraging everyone to dine before arriving and to bring a snack or finger food.

Make sure to stop by to enjoy the last of that "new tiki party" smell.

Oh, one other thing. As some of you noticed from the pictures of the last party, I was a little too wrapped up in playing host and bartender to get some good photos of the Ohana for Tiki Magazine. Well not this time! Those good folks have extended my window for these pics, so I'll be making sure to get them. Therefore, anyone who wants a chance at possibly ending up in the Fall issue, please make it to the party at or near the start. That way the I'll still have the daylight and everyone should still be sober enough to sit still for a picture or two. I still have those giveaways, as well!

Mahalo!

Spent some time at Colorado's nearest answer to tiki, at least at the moment: The Original Castaways in Manitou Springs.

This place has been promoted before to the Denver Ohana and I strongly suggest that you try to make it down for a visit before the summer ends. My wahine and I have had a few really excellent experiences there, but this weekends visit was something entirely different. The decor is still there, as you'll see, and the owner is the same, but we got a very odd feeling from the staff, that leads us to believe that the restaurant/bar may be in trouble. Their thoroughly delicious guacamole is off the menu, in addition to all of their pasta dishes (equals about one half page of the menu). Also, there were significantly less people there than what we've ever experienced on a Saturday night. The staff didn't attempt to explain this, they just shrugged their shoulders.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but my overall gut feeling is that the restaurant is in trouble and it wouldn't hurt for folks who've been putting off their visit, to go and take a look while there's time.

Here's a few shots of what you'll see:

Some Ohana of mine

Yes that is a full sized canoe across the ceiling.

Some booths

The low light setting requires one to keep their hands impossibly still. Oh to have a tri-pod :)

The Original Castaways Tiki

Mahalo!

TF

The Finks are off to sunny Scottsdale, AZ to meet up with some Ohana from Arizona and points beyond. We are gathering at the swanky space age Hotel Valley Ho / New Trader Vics. I will certainly fill everyone in on what is going on in Denver!

Will post some shots here when we get back.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best wishes for a safe journey to you and Mrs. Fink!

If you can, bring back a few swizzles for those of us who can't make it. I'd definitely pay you a few bucks for a couple.

Have a groovy time.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

T

I'm getting married!!!! We are playing a Tiki theme reception... one: what would be a good rum based drink to have as a signature drink? some thing that has not too much liqueur in it ( to keep cost down ) Two: I remember saying there is a woman in town (Denver) that makes lays? if i could get hat info that would be awesome

oh and I'm working on a Denver Ohana sign that can be moved form event to event

Hey el,

Congrats on the news! My opinion is that life is better with a partner.

The Little Grass Shack makes leis and you'd have to back track a bit in the posts, but I'm pretty sure it's between pages 2-5 that I listed their info.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

T

Last night I went to the The Bamboo Lounge in Boulder. It is a large building that has a large open patio aria. There is a large fence around the patio, with some bamboo mats on it. There is a large elephant with flowers coming out of is trunk on the back wall. The main bar is on the patio, they have an inside aria but I did not go inside. It is nice but needs some work, but there it just opened this month.

The music was not exotica at all. It was this dance mix, world music stuff that skipped a lot.

The food looked good but I did not have any. The drinks, well the had one drink that was there special called a Goombay Smash. The smash had; light rum, dark rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, and lime juice. It was good but the selection of tropical drinks was limited. I asked the bar tender for a zombie and she didn't know how to make one. She asked if is was like a long island, she even said the Gomday was like a long island.I don't think she could make any of the stander tropical drinks if I asked. One drink on the Specials had fresca in it, but they didn't have any yet, and one had blood orange infused tequila and they didn't have that ether. But like i said they just opened. I think that if people go and request ma tie's, blue hawaiian's, sidecars and other tropical's they will get the hint, the place has a ok start but needs some work

really it just makes me miss Boyed's

MD

I actually got out Saturday night with a friend of mine for all of two hours! We went to Benders Tavern and then over to Cricket on the Hill to catch an hour of Denver Joe. What a riot! Nothing like a drunk cussin' cowboy singin the classics to make your night.
But anyway.....did ya all know that Benders has a "tiki patio"? Well, thats what they call it. They even have a sign that says just that, Tiki Patio. I never knew it was there as the hallway to it is past the bathrooms and outside. Its not much....nice patio, few umbrellas, a grass awning over a door that leads to a bartender (?) There wasn't a bartender there. the door was closed. There were people on the patio but no bartender or waitress. I'm trying to reach Tyson of the railbenders to see what the plan is. Hopefully a retro guy like him will kick it up a bit and make it something worthy of the bar and stage that Benders is known for.

Just FYI that there are only three openings left for Tiki Links.

TF

Just a little reminder. We are a week out from Tiki FInk Theatre.

8/26/2006 1415 South Cherry St. Denver, CO 80222

Cocktail Hour Starts at 7:00 / Movie after sunset. This is a limited seating event so if you want to attend and you have not sent your R.S.V.P to Tiki Fink or Zulu Magoo, do so by Email or PM right here on TIKI CENTRAL!!!

What happens when ambient radiation from nuclear testing and ancient island magik are combined with murder?

One super pissed off living tiki hell bent on revenge!!!!!

Special cocktails for this evening will include

Fink's Mai Tai ( as close to Trader Vic's Original as I can get )
and Tobango's Revenge!!!!!!!

Don't forget your favorite mug!!! And see you there!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-08-19 16:34 ]

Fun Alert:

My dear friend Lauri Murphy who owns and operates Capsule Gallery and Events Center is holding a Modernism Show next Weekend. To my recollection this is the first time there has been an event of this kind in Denver. The event is on Friday and Saturday night 8/25-8/26. Personally I hope you come to Tiki Fink Theatre on Saturday but Friday's Preview party should be a blast. There will be 30 vendors with plenty of way out googie modern treasures!

Admission for the party is $10.00 but well worth it. ( Should include libations )

CAPSULE ART AND EVENT CENTER

554 Santa Fe Drive
Denver, CO 80223
303-623-3460

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-08-20 16:14 ]

TF

Fun Alert: For 8/23/2006

The Denver Cruisers theme this week is Hawiian Luau!! Sure to be a wild tme on wheels as always. I will be there hope you will too. Wanna go? No cruiser? PM me..

T.F.

More Info: http://www.denvercruisers.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-08-22 07:33 ]

MD

Tiki Fink.....or Man about town fink......I'm gonna try and make the ride tonight. What do you ride, or how can we find you? I'm on a black Schwinn pulling Eddie Jack in the hot rod wagon I built for him, cant miss it, red and white scallops, racoon tail, etc.
We probably wont be to Fink movie night as trying to keep the kids still and quiet is futile.
But the modernism show sounds great, My girl Mrs, Amy had a painting in there last month. Nice place.
I'll ck. back here or p.m. me if you get this, I'll ck it before I leave.
Mr. Dale.

Hey Tiki Fink- do you still have openings for the Tiki Film event? Let me know as my wife and I will try to make it.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 12:59 ]

Thanks to Tikifink and his lovely wife as well as ZuluMagoo and his lovely wife, the Denver TCers had a fun night drinking and watching one of the worst (best) B movie films set in Polynesia with a tiki like monster- It Came From Hell. Thanks to the wonderful hosts!

Thanks Matterhorn!

Wow. Last night the Tiki Magik was really working well.. like Magik!
Thanks to everyone who came over to the shack! We had a great time and the weather even cooperated. ( which I still can't believe )
It really was one of those tiki events where things went so very swimmingly that the vibe was palpable. I am still smileing!Again much grattitude to the Zulus for their participation!!

Looks like we will do it again most likely next summer..So see you there!

T.F.
P.S. Zulu, if you see this post that super cool pic..

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 13:00 ]

TF

At the Tiki Fink Theatre event, Zulu was talking about a group visit to The Castaways in Manatou Springs. I would like to put my two cents worth in for a Saturday night early in October. Watcha think Colorado TC?

T.F.

RD

The Demon family humbly puts forth the "Tiki Links 2006" Coco.

In the mails as I type, soon to land in some mile-high tiki shrine near you.

-Joe

That is one very fine mug Joe.

Mahalo and thanks for your support and generosity!

More pics of the prizes in the next few days on the Tiki Links thread.

-Eleio

Z

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 13:01 ]

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-09-17 13:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 224 replies