Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies

T

This new guy is awesome. Such crisp, clean lines on his headdress.

B

Tahii, I Love the Ku, the Wood id Beautiful in itself but your carve really doubled that beauty. The painstaking palm bark detail with the splits and all is really over the top. Beautiful piece. The next one is a study in precision, Absolutely perfect detail. Crisp clean lines, a Mouth full of teeth to fear and a body to die for. Both these guys earn you Much Respect! Stuff good for the soul, even better than chicken soup.

Yes very awesome.

Wonderful carve!

Love the head dress... something very original and eye catching!

Nice deep mouth and some greatly detailed chompers!

The other Ku turned out great also... very resourceful using those candle holders to free the tiki inside!

You do very well thought out and super clean work, and these last two offerings are no exception.

B

Hi Tahitiki,

I have to say that I said myself by seeing the first picture : ho no, another teasing picture and we'll have to wait a lot of time to see the masterpiece finished.
Then I got to the bottom of the page, breathless and said to my wife to come to see if this thing was real and WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW ! We both said : amazing mo' perfect than perfect one !
The Ku head is perfect but the last one is more perfect than perfect !

Thanks for the motivation !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

T

Love both the new ones, especially the little ku! Lot's of charm in that one!

T

TikiMango, Ben, drasticwagon, Lake Surfer, benella and BigT, thanks all of you guys for such great comments, I appreciate a lot your feedback.
Ben... better than chicken soup... nice!!! you know, carving for me is becoming my soul food, it's the best way for me to disconnect fully and put my mind to rest, an awesome feeling.

Benella, you said: ho no, another teasing picture and we'll have to wait a lot of time to see the masterpiece finished... man, I'm the slowest carver in the world I guess, when I read other posts and check you guys work, I'm always amazed at how fast you guys are... amazing. Glad miss Benella loves the carve too.

Regarding the headrest, I was trying to come up with a different style, I just wish I had given the headrest more of a shape (before carving the curves) instead of just following the lines of the log. Or maybe make the mouth a 1/4" smaller the the headrest... some like that. I guess I'll just have to make a bigger one one day and fix all the issues I haven't addressed on this one. I'm also wondering if I should cut the space between the teeth all the way done or not.

BD

tahitiki,

you know what they say, your biggest critic is always going to be yourself. you've done a wonderful job with the headdress. the lines flow beautifully. he is a beautiful little ku. keep up th good work.

bd

C

smooth!

S

Nice Tight well controlled carve and looks incredible.
Nice work.

Very beautiful work.

Wow! That Ku's body is "chiseled"!...I bet he works out.
Stunning, and clean...I might have to do one of those!

Killer stuff,you've made my day!Cheers Watango

T

Big daddy, Clarita, seeksurf, Grapa-RuHa, surfintiki and Watango thanks for the praises.
Regarding the body I was going for that chiseled Hawaiian look you know. I'm pretty happy by the way it came out.
As I was checking you guys messages I couldn't help noticing how cool TC is. On this page so far there is posting from 5 different countries. Argentina, Australia, France, Netherlands and the US including five states. I found that way cool.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-07-09 07:16 ]

I think this one tops the rest..... Great design, character and carve.

L

Perfect design! I applause! :D :D :D

J.

Bump!!!Where ya at !!!

N

wow!!

T

As always, thanks for all the great praise, keeps me going.
So here is what I've been working on this summer, not yet done but getting there...

First I started carving a drum:

and started a 4' Ku at the same time:

at the same my girlfriend was working on finishing our little one... my son Mateo was born on the 09/09/09
can't believe she's done before I am.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-09-15 14:55 ]

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 15, 2009 3:02 PM

Great work!!so clean,I am always impressed! Congrats on your new baby, thats something we have in common besides carving,My son will be popping out in about 2 weeks!!Good Luck!!

T

Thanks Kirby, good luck to you my man.

Found a few more picts.

Your lines! That form! Very tight carving!!

Now that's what I'm Talkin about!!!!!! You are such a TALENTED Artist!!! BIG BIG Cheers from Sunny Florida!!!Great CARVE!!!and Mahalo for sharin,I always look forward to your next Amazing piece or in this case pieces of art!Aloha, Mooney

Old Guys Rule!

Holy cow...super carves...really love the Ku. You got the chops
down, thanks for posting for us.

EXCELLENT use of the flaired end of the log on the Ku piece! And good decision to leave the bark!
Are you going to stain/seal it, or let it weather?

S

Clean, tight outstanding Ku. Love your work.

Killer job on the latest guy really dig the way
you've done the eyes,Awesome!Cheers Watango
Ps congrates on the new baby!

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2009-09-15 18:10 ]

Congrats on both accounts!

Super clean work on both those palms, and I'm in agreement with everyone else when I say great use of that flair log!

Super clean work!! and Congrats!

B

There's nothing left for me to say that hasn't already been said about your cool work! I should have gotten here sooner!

Merry Christmas! There, nobody has said that yet! :)

Congrats on the kid!

Bowie

L

Congrat to the happy parent! And welcome for the new baby! :D

Very nice carve this latest KU... It's a succesfull!

J.

Outstanding!

B

The drum and the tiki look amazing as always.
Congrats on the little boy, he will change your life, trust me !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Man, that's some of the cleanest, keenest work I've ever seen. The force is strong in this one!

T

SWEET. Nice work. The flair on that log really adds an extra dimension to it.

T

Maruru for all the good words and congrats, you guys are all amazing carver so it means a lot.
I've been getting inspired by some of the Coco Joes tiki's, the lines on some of them are just amazing. I'm staining the bark with a light coat of brown, and the carve will just be varnished with a satin finish, giving the tiki a nice golden glow... hopefully. I might add more details later, but I'm not sure, the bottom part of the log is pretty coarse. I used a barbecue brush to make it look more coarse, it gives it a weathered look that is kinda cool. I'll add some close-up later so you guys can see the texture it creates. I'm not even sure how i am going to sign this thing, some parts are just crumbling down, I hope the finish will help, if it doesn't I might have to use some resin as the last coat... we'll see.

K
Kino posted on Wed, Sep 16, 2009 11:48 PM

On 2009-09-15 20:11, Bowana wrote:
There's nothing left for me to say that hasn't already been said about your cool work! I should have gotten here sooner!

+1

C

congrats about your son! i hope you are going to keep the Ku, very cool tiki brother to have specially if you were born almost at the same time :)

Here is a quick shot of the kind of texture I'm working with on the KU:

T

Patience and skillful execution results in this..some of the most impressive palm carves I've seen in awhile - really! The Ku's chisel work is like fine bristle painting - very, very studious obviously.

Can't wait to see more of the drum too..

Thanks for keeping us updated with your posts. Cheers to you Tahitiki! :)

B

Tahitiki, I can't Believe how Perect you get your carvings, Even in palm! Your KU is good enough to belong in a Museum. I Love the fact that you take the time to finish and clean every little part of the piece,Absolutely nothing left undone. I'll have to blow up a photo and see if you might have left some little sliver unfinished, but I think it will be an exercise in futility. You earned total respect from this corner!

I don't know for sure yet but there might be a little piece of undone trash under the left eye near the bottom I'll have to look closer, but then he isn't quite finished yet soooo? :) :lol: :D

T

Thanks Ben, it's not that perfect for the texture is pretty coarse. Here is some new shots while I'm varnishing it.

Little upgrade on the drum:

T

Here is a better texture shot:

T

On 2009-09-30 08:18, Tahitiki wrote:
Here is a better texture shot:

Thats Nuts. Never seen anything like it

he looks awesome keep up the good work

B

Yes, that looks like a well aged Washingtonian palm.. I've tried to grow them like that but they always look different somehow. The eyes are never straight? :o

Bump

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies