Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies

T

Nice indeed. So was the ku finished?

On 2009-09-30 08:18, Tahitiki wrote:
Here is a better texture shot:

I admire your patience. This piece really grabs me. It looks like it would be easier to carve a rice crispy treat.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 10, 2009 9:27 AM

AWESOME!!! GROG like.

T

Hey tahitiki I love your work!!! You just aquired a new fan.

aloha tahtiki!! that ku is SWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!! the detail is awsome and hes huge!!! bad ass brah!!! hope i can do some of my new logs justice like that!!! cheerz!!

T

Thanks all of you for all the good words, I'm done with the KU, just need to get the bottom real flat now. The sander just broke, need another belt. I'm working on a base for the KU as well. It has 3 feet, one is Hawaiian, a Tahitian and a Maori face. Here is some pict below.
I just finished the drum last night but I don't have any picts yet. I also gather 2 palm logs this weekend, a 5 and a 6 footer.

Enjoy!

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-11-11 09:40 ]

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 9:50 AM

Beautiful work on that KU base, Tahitiki. I envy the concept...that you incorporated three different face styles into one object speaks volumes about your creativity. Kick ass bro!

I'm patiently awaiting future pics showing your finished KU in all his glory.

Oh yeah, the drum? Please do post a pic of the drum!!

Thanks for sharing.

Everything you do is so well thought out and executed.

A wonderful concept for the base, and from the progress you've shown, you're nailing this one!

I love the whole idea of the tiki on a base, great stuff! :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 10:21 AM

KIller!

Great work on the base! Your Ku will really be standing tall.

T

Great idea on the base. I've thought about doing the same thing myself for one of the short tikis I did. He sits beside my fireplace and is partially blocked by the fireplace hearth. Nice job!

Excellent work there my friend! WOOOO! I love the ku's face...perfect. And the drum is going to be killer!

A
amate posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 3:50 PM

Damn!!! this guy's good. I mean Daaaamn!

you are the man !! great stuff and the base is frickin killer!!! cheerz!!

[ Edited by: big tiki scott 2009-11-11 18:49 ]

T

LUVIN IT !!! and thanks for the info on the different types your doing ,

B

Excellent pieces you are creating, just Really tight. My Only suggestion to you and actually ALL Carvers is to Flatten the bottom Before you start the carving. I'm as bad as the next guy and I always kick myself when I forget. Flatten first carve last instead of Swearing last.

Hey, I had to look a long way to find Something to bitch about! :) :P :D

T

On 2009-11-12 03:06, Benzart wrote:
Excellent pieces you are creating, just Really tight. My Only suggestion to you and actually ALL Carvers is to Flatten the bottom Before you start the carving. I'm as bad as the next guy and I always kick myself when I forget. Flatten first carve last instead of Swearing last.

Hey, I had to look a long way to find Something to bitch about! :) :P :D

Yes, I'm bad about this too. I'm always too impatient to start on the body.

T

TikiG, Lake Surfer, GROG, congatiki, TheBigT, surfintiki, amate, tikigodz, BIG tiki scott and Benzart mauruuru for all the compliments, I wanted to make a base just because when I stand the KU up I felt it was a bit short and was undermining his man, ha ha, he needed to be a bit higher. Than I was checking out buzzy amazing drums and the idea came up, doing a 3 faces stand would be cool. First I wanted to be true to the island setup, the Polynesian triangle, Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island, but being a Tahitian freak I had to switch Easter Island with a Marquesan face.

BigT you should go ahead and raise that Tiki by the fireplace.

Benzart, you're right I should definitely clean up the base before carving, for some reason I always think it's going to workout just fine at the end.

I just finished the drum this morning before going to work, the skin is finally drying, the sound starts to be cool, here are some picts. I'll try to record something when it's fully dry.
Nana

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-11-12 09:29 ]

B

Beautiful drum!!!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Nov 12, 2009 9:44 AM

As above, I say its a beautiful drum too.

I would not be suprised if at some point, while sleeping late at night, this drum creates a tone on its own and wakes you up :o

Universal drummer's mojo is captured within the carve...within the wood. DIG IT!

Again, top notch carves, Tahitiki.

Right down to the finished product... everything well polished and in it's place.

No worries about things being super level, I've done some things that have a slight lean or a curve and most people are jazzed about it.

All depends on what makes you happy... and you seem very happy with the work you produce because it shows.

P

holy crap! i've missed this whole thread. great work!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 13, 2009 11:12 AM

Gorgeous. Love the stain color.

J

bumpppp.
Perfect!

B

Superbe !
The finishing is so neat that I thought it is made out of plastic !
Hope the baby's fine.
Mahalo,

Benjamin.

On 2009-11-12 09:12, Tahitiki wrote:

Killer work!

T

No carving yet this summer (I did collect 2 six footer and a fat 5')
So far I've finished... almost... the big Ku and its base.

I got busy working on my scooter (had it for so long, I had to restrained myself from carving for some times just to make sure i would finish fixing it)

pictures from phones sucks! I'll have to work on this...

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2010-04-25 19:12 ]

Damn, that Ku is TOP NOTCH!

B

Yeah, what 4Wheeler said!

(Nice scooter too)

Bowie

S

Yes! the KU is very cool and i like the scoot.

Mann! That ku is AWESOME!!!!!! Cheers Watango

That King Ku is awesome, nice work on the base to

T

Your from san ho right on. Keep me posted of any upcoming shows I would love to see your stuff in person. That Ku is Killer took you a while to finish? But deffinately worth the wait. Mahalo

B

Wow Tahitiki, This guy is Incredible!

How can you get more incredible than this,, Put him on a Beautifully carved tiki base thats how!

And THEN there was this matter of a Furniture/Museum grade Drum,,Perfect finish here and just as perfect carving. Love the cowry shells,although I'm not a fan of the cordage it does work..

It DOESN"T get any Better than THIS

T

Thanks all of you for the sweet comments.
Ben, about the drum, I agree on the ropes, it's not that great plus it doesn't even work that great either. The drum only sounds great when left in the sun for couple hours. I want to change it at some point but I'm not sure how to do it right, meaning sound wise and visually... any ideas?

T

Here is a bunch of detail shots for the Ku base.

H
harro posted on Fri, May 21, 2010 1:33 PM

that is fuh-REAKing amazing!!!!!!
i love all your work man.

Sweeeeet! Great detail. I like the three heads on one tiki. Really cool.

T

I was trying to go with the Polynesian triangle, Hawaii / New Zealand / Easter Island, but I like tahitian tikis too much so I substitute Easter Island for the Marquesas. Glad you guys like it.

Spectacular work on your Ku and the base. Perfect in every way as
far as I can tell from here :-0

It REEKS of everything Polynesian! GREAT design. Love it.

awesome work keep it up

LOVE this pic! I'm in awe of the quality of the detail!

L

Very neat work!!! And also very good job and concept on the base...

J.

B

YES, these faces on the base are just impossible to describe in words. Excellent from the triangle. Love all the eyes and all the everything, Just Awesome.

Sorry I can't give you advice on the drum but I'm sure the Buzz man will be glad to give up a few hints, though I wouldn't worry much about it since it is Already near perfect.

T

Just tried myself on a bunch of bone fish hooks pendants. Hooks are made from cows bones from Petco and the top part are chicken bones. Bigger one is 1 7/8" tall.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2010-06-14 18:40 ]

S

Amazing how you pull so much detail out of this palm. Outstanding works.

L

Large Ku or tiny bone pendant, your art rocks!

J.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies