Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies

Tahitiki, That carving is just nothing less than Spectacular my friend,absalutly beautiful,I'm with Ben I'd love to see a dozen more,I love it, thanks for sharin it.Aloha your friend, Mooney

Such a Great carve i wanted to Bump it back,Aloha, Mooney

Bump! A crime to have such sweet art so far back,Aloha, Mooney

Umm...I'll take two dozen of those to go please!!!

I like the size of this one. Also, what wood is that? Your finish is gorgeous!!!

Mustang Island Tiki

On 2008-01-15 08:20, Tahitiki wrote:
Alright, this is it, it's done.
Ben, this is how I did the staining:
First I covered the whole Tiki with a ebony stain
then I sanded leaving some area un-sanded
then I apply 3 coats of black walnut oil
and 2 coats of urethane egg shell
for the finish I lightly sanded all of it with a ...
then I waxed it.

Thanks to all for the nice words,
BK and Mooney your carvings are amazing, love your work.

Going Home!

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-01-15 08:26 ]

what an amazing carving bro mad props to you .

love it!!!...it's amazing how the time, effort and care radiates out from it.....

Very creative, love the hollow spaces and how big the mouth opens. Love it love it!

Can't wait to see them finished. Very nice work.

B

Hey man, let see new masterpieces !

Benjamin.

Hi Guys,
Jungle Trader, Benzart, TheBigT, Grog, Seeksurf, Harro, kreepytiki lounge & tattoos, Tipsy McStagger BIG THANKS for all the great feedback and praises!!!

Benella, I know you can pull this staining out, It's not as complicated as you think, it just takes times that's it.

MooneyTiki, thanks for bumping the thread!

Mustang Island Tiki, the KU is carved out of a palm trunk I found in the street. Mexican palm most likely.

The Tiki Shop, I'm not sure what you're referring too. Let me know.

Alright, this time I'm posting a small version of the big KU (3") that I carved before making the big one.
When I started working on the big KU, I did the back leg cut first, then I realize that it was a big job and that I didn't especially know what I was doing. So I decided to stop and carve a small version first to make sure I wouldn't mess up such a nice piece of palm.
The wood I used for the small KU is rattan from some leftover furniture I bought.
I don't know if any of you have carved some Rattan before but it's just like a miniature palm wood, it has the same qualities and defaults. It's also a very easy wood to carve. You guys should try it.
I saved a lot of rattan so in the future I think I'll always carve a small version first. It's fast and it really helped looking at it when I was doing the big one.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-03-16 10:16 ]

V

wow thats impressive never would have thought of ratan good work might try some myself thanx for the idea!!

VBTIKI

J

That is a really good idea carving a miniature first. There always seems to be someplace on a carving that doesn't quite work as expected and to work it out on a small scale would be well worth the time.

This small carving fooled me, I thought it was 3 feet tall, it is very symmetrical for such a tiny carving.

Maybe it is the way it's pictured, but it certainly does look like a couple feet tall.

Thats comin' out great.. Look'n forward to the finished product and the start of the big guy.

S

The small model reference look great. I'm sure this guy is
going to turn out fantastic. Sure looks larger than 3"?

B

Tok, I just looked back at your early threads and saw the most Awesome Tikis there. Man you are been around and are Good! Way Excellent good, no wonder your stuff is getting so Great! So Come on and Dive into that log pile and turn it into a Tiki Pile, I Know you can do IT!
HappyHappyHappy

H

Super styley! Love the flow of the headdress down the back--great work. Can't wait to see jumbo.

BUMP...Aloha Tahitiki!Looking for some more sweet carvings my friend, Aloha, Mooney

H
harro posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 3:00 PM

its great to see the minitiature model now, even after the success of the big one. helps us to see how you worked it all out.

Rattan huh, who'd have thought?? Great quality pics too. Look forward to the next one!

That is cool! I'm gonna chop up some furniture for tiki wood!

T

VBTIKI, JohnnyP, Flat Black, Mooney, harro and Surfintiki thanks for the good praise, you guys should definitively try the rattan, it's really easy to carve and fun too

FreddieBallsomic, seeksurf and howland the miniature KU is done in big, checkout page 7, I unfortunatly I cut the leg too soon and wasn't able to do the full headrest, maybe I'll try another big one with this kind of headrest.

Mooney, thanks for the bump man, it's cool, I really like your stuff too. Primo.

Ok, for the update, here is some pict of the tahitian uke I started a while ago, it's finish, sounds great and it's fairly easy to do for a carver. I'm still "tattooing" the body from time to time. if anybody is interested i have created some plan in illustrator at 100%, let me know I can sent it by email.

I've also did another rattan carving based on a marqesan design

Progress shots:

Final tiki:

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-04-14 19:30 ]

B

:o

Lots of amazing stuff.
I love the tatoos on the uke.

The last tiki seems to be a small one and hard to carve but the lines of the design seem very neat. Great work.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

The little Marq is really cool. Did I hear you say "I didn't especially know what I was doing." a few posts back?? Well I think you know All too Well what you are doing and doing a Great job of too! Excellent Stuff.
And the Uke? ... Awesome Dude!

T

Benella, yes it is a small one, about 3" (10cm) from head to toes.
Benzart, thanks for the compliments, I'll try to post a youtube video so you guys can here the uke.
Here is one I posted with another Tahitian Uke that a friend of mine brought back from Tahiti for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDifXI5uFx8

B

Fabulous work! Nice that you have resurfaced once again, Tahitiki. I never knew that Ukuleles came in 8 string models.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 15, 2008 8:44 AM

Most excellent stuff. The carvers on TC are kickin' some major ass!!

Yeah Yeah! send me illustrator specs! What's the wood?
[email protected]

T

Hey Bowana, so it's a Tahitian Uke, there have different ukes over there. It has 4 doubled strings that are made of fishing string. It's tune like a hawaiian uke but the 2 middle strings are one octave higher. It's fun to play, the Tahitians plays so fast it's cool to watch.

Check this demo on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zIDnusH3A
Bare through the first half. It's Good Stuff.

Thanks GROG!

Surfntiki, I will send you the files today. The wood I used (bad choice) was construction grade pine. I've hear a lot of people are using poplar for the body and red cedar for the top. Sometimes Koa is used too for the body, but it's got to be pricy.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-04-16 06:12 ]

Aloha Tahitiki!!! I'm glad to see you back with more Sweet carvings,Aloha Mooney

B

Cool sounding Pahoho Uke, and Beautiful Too!

B

On 2008-04-16 06:11, Tahitiki wrote:
Check this demo on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zIDnusH3A
Bare through the first half. It's Good Stuff.

I can't understand half the things he's saying, but the dude shreds on the uke!

J

I've been looking for the update on the Uke, what a work of art. I've been sneeking a couple peeks of it at work.

bump

T

I've been working on a Leroy copy, just to give it a try. I'm thinking I'll turn it into a stool.
More pict to come.

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 7:10 AM

Hey Tahitiki
great new one keep up the update pics
bye
Akuae

Awesome! Fantastic. And the personal touch on the back is great. There was a thread for all the Leroy copies you gotta add it to...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11934&forum=7&hilite=leroy

B

Very good. I love the designs on the back.

Benjamin.

Like others have said, love the carving on the back, and you nailed the classic Leroy on the front.

Great, refined carving as usual!

T

Hey guys, thanks for the great feedback. I'm still working on it, I added a small base to it and started the staining process. I will post more pict next week-end.

In the meantime I carved this lil'Moai on sunday (it's only about 8"):

almost done...

That moai is excellent. All your carves are nice an clean. More please!

S

Very nice! sweet and clean lines.
I have to admit i was thinking of this combo myself
moai with body.

Are you going you going to make this into a larger fella?

T

Thanks guys, yes I'm thinking of doing a bigger one at some point now that I've done the little one (I just have to find the right log).

I also would like to maybe carve a copy of the Picasso marquesan tiki first, any of you know where I can see a pict of the back side of it? I've only seen pict of the front side, so far no side view or back view. Let me know if you guys have anything on the subject.
Thanks

A

Aloha

great new moai, smooth lines and a super idee for ths lil AKU

perhaps this link can help for the picasso moai

but i've never seen the back also

http://blog.humuhumu.com/2006/09/26/picassos-collection-of-african-oceanic-art

greets
Akuae

T

Thanks Akuae, it does help,
You got to love Humuhumu, her blog is just so cool, Great designer too.

Lotsa cool stuff in this thread, really nice work Tahitiki.

T

Here is a bunch of picts of the Leroy, I finished the base, stain and getting ready to top it off with a cushion to turn that thing into a stool. I still have to figure out how to attach that thing without damaging the carving.
Maruru everybody for all the kind feedback.

BD

WOW ! those are great. love the fact you kept the broken tiki, i find myself unable to rid the house of broken or damaged pieces as well - i thought i was the only one.

Good job man!! I like it!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies