Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

East Coast ~vs~ West Coast

Pages: 1 33 replies

First, this is a drunken post.

Second, I was drinking like I was in an Irish Pub

First, Since I was drinking at home I cant really punch someone in the nose

So, I think I was trying to count.......

I have noticed something through the bottom of my cocktail glass and that is a kind of East Coast vs West Coast vibe with the people here. Not as drastic, yet, as the E-v-W Rapper battle, but enough that I fear drive-by Mai Tais. The upgrades recently served as a kind of beacon to that fact. And some bacon sounds really good right now. I'll be right back...

The new divisions for events is 'California' and then 'everyone else.' While I realize that there are far more Tiki people in California, that doesn't lessen the number of Tiki people elsewhere. Here in South Florida we have the second largest community of Pacific Islanders outside of the Pacific Islands, but we don't get much mention. 'Even Thursdays' and 'Mondays at Tiki Ti' get more eyes here than our local Polynesian Fest. "You" guys may have the Tiki Ti, but "We" have the Mai-Kai. "You" guys may have Trader Vics SF/Emeryville/Palo Alto, but "We" have an ocean you can get into with protective gear.

I could go on, but my current level of alchol prevents it. Maybe I am just drunk (I am), but I have talked with others and they agree that I am drunk. I think they were trying to agree with my observation of the different coasts, but I forgot what the question was.

Talk amongst yourselves. East VS West. Bilge VS Delete the thread. Banishment to the Dry Counties of Florida.........

I don't get that vibe at all. Yes, there are East Coast events and West Coast events and I daresay even Midwest events and for a time there it seemed there were even Canadian events and I certainly hope to see more of European and Australian events. But I have never gotten the faintest whiff that one event was superior to another because of geography. The only thing that ever crossed my mind was darn, I wish I could be there, too. How could there possibly be elitism to this thing called tiki? That would be like saying West Coast TV watchers are superior to East Coast TV watchers even though they're watching the exact same thing. Come to think of it, Chip and Andy, thou Florida-dweller, thou, your state contains the Mai-Kai, which has the last great Polynesian floor show, and while I envy the fact that you can see this much more readily than I, I don't think you're superior because of it. So you're just drunk and God bless you, and after all I'm not that far behind. Next stage for us both: pink tikis coming out of the walls. I hope.

Oh, Mother! The blood! The blood!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-05-09 22:23 ]

I

Well, all the west coast people have to do to reach the Marquesas Islands or Hawaii is to jump into the ocean and start swimming west, so there is a more immediate physical proximity for them. The east coasters have to jump into the Atlantic, start swimming south, and then veer through the Panama Canal, before reaching the same destination -- and so many people who might attempt this journey are not properly mentally prepared, and get sidetracked, and end up instead in Key West and Buffetville.

But just as the person who most appreciates a soft bed is a traveler who has spent many long and difficult hours on the road, the East Coasters might appreciate the final rewards of tiki more. But in this case, it might be the Midwesterners, who are the furthest from either ocean, who will thus appreciate tiki the best. Or those who live in the northern European countries. There is probably some Martian, or Saturnian, or Uranusian, unknown to any of us, who is the most dedicated of us all, who has the most amazing tiki/space age pad of us all.

Vern

Come on Chip!
The Mai Kai sucks! :)

On 2006-05-10 00:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Come on Chip!
The Mai Kai sucks! :)

Not when you are seeing it through the bottom of your cocktail........

Holy Empties, Batman! What did we do to my bar last night? And just where did this Sun thing come from? It has to go, it hurts!

When the fog in my head clears a bit I will have to go back through this post and try and remember the point I was trying to make, if I had one....

And yes, it was way more than Pink Tiki's dancing on the walls. On my head, on my bed. You know it was a good night if you lay down and have to hang on to keep from falling off......

I'm personally amazed you were able to type in such a state. Hell, I'm impressed you were able to find your PC.

P

I hate the west.
I hate everybody who lives there or is from there.

I hate them so much I have to travel there often just to seethe.

Oh, I'll drink their little Tiki Ti drinks just to prove how much they suck.

And I'll visit their tiki bars just to steal something from them.

And I'll hang out with goofy freaks like Rev. Bamboo Ben and PolyPop and Humuhumu and Martiki just so I can repeatedly tell them how much I hate them.

But that's it.

Oh yeah, I left out Dr. Z and the Hoity Toties. I hate them too. Especially that Sperm Whale guy. Eaarrrghhhhhoooo, what the hell is that?

Them and their stupid hospitality and vintage everything.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-05-12 07:55 ]

Wait a minute... there's an East coast?!?

S

Otto will play the part of Sug Knight, Sven as Tupac and Pablus as Biggy, though getting smaller. They'll have a drive by at the Trader Vic's opening in Las Vegas and no one will see who put the whiskey in Sven's Mai Tai, not even Otto who was sitting next to him.

On 2006-05-12 08:11, Matt Reese wrote:
Wait a minute... there's an East coast?!?

there's actually a handful of worthwhile things east of las vegas...

On 2006-05-09 21:04, Chip and Andy wrote:
First, Since I was drinking at home I cant really punch someone in the nose

"The first rule of Mai-Tai Fight Club is you don't talk about Mai-Tai Fight Club..."

On 2006-05-09 22:20, Satan's Sin wrote:
I don't get that vibe at all. Yes, there are East Coast events and West Coast events and I daresay even Midwest events and for a time there it seemed there were even Canadian events and I certainly hope to see more of European and Australian events. But I have never gotten the faintest whiff that one event was superior to another because of geography. The only thing that ever crossed my mind was darn, I wish I could be there, too. How could there possibly be elitism to this thing called tiki? That would be like saying West Coast TV watchers are superior to East Coast TV watchers even though they're watching the exact same thing. Come to think of it, Chip and Andy, thou Florida-dweller, thou, your state contains the Mai-Kai, which has the last great Polynesian floor show, and while I envy the fact that you can see this much more readily than I, I don't think you're superior because of it. So you're just drunk and God bless you, and after all I'm not that far behind. Next stage for us both: pink tikis coming out of the walls. I hope.

Yeah? Well, whadda you know? You're from IB! ("North County in the Hizz-ouse!")

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-05-12 10:09 ]

Johnny, you do know I was kidding, right?

On 2006-05-12 13:24, Matt Reese wrote:
Johnny, you do know I was kidding, right?

you know i was kidding, right? :)

I do now. Thanks. These things can get out of hand sooo easily. Cheers.

you're so money and you don't even know it :) :) :)

VEGAS!!!1

On 2006-05-12 10:06, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2006-05-09 22:20, Satan's Sin wrote:

Yeah? Well, whadda you know? You're from IB! ("North County in the Hizz-ouse!")

Satan's Sin, are you gonna take that shit layin' down? Imperial Beach is a veritable garden of unearthed delights (or somethin').

I think I get your point on this topic... Many people seem to be all about where they are from. As a person on their 31st lifetime move, thanks to a military father, stint in the military myself, and now being a military wife I notice stuff like that!

My Mom comes to visit and says really dumb things like "That isn't how we do it in Spokane". Many people, cultures, places claim to have their own unique customs. Like on the news here in Hawaii, they show people running for office and their supporters standing on corners and waving, and they always say "Our unique Hawaiian custom". I laugh about that, because I've seen that done in not only every state of the union, but in every foreign country I've been in (23 and counting).

CL

Tiki people in CA?!! I haven't seen one and I've been looking. :wink:

I just perused the national events and there's a LOT going on. Tiki fun can be had by whomever, wherever. As a Left Coaster, I can't wait to visit some of the Right Coast Tiki haunts, bars, etc. At this point, I've heard so much about Hukilau that it sounds like one of the best events in the country. Can't wait to go.

What's great about Tiki Central is that everyone gets to enjoy Tiki nationally and internationally. The sum equals the whole. It's the Ohana spirit. And when we meet in person it's even more fun.

On 2006-06-01 19:46, Coco Loco wrote:
What's great about Tiki Central is that everyone gets to enjoy Tiki nationally and internationally. The sum equals the whole. It's the Ohana spirit. **And when we meet in person it's even more fun. **

Guess what!

I've been drinking again!

And digging around in the bottom of my list of posts reliving something that I was talking ab..... Oh yeah!

I added the emphasis to the quote above because it caught my eye. Tiki Central is just a place that fills the time in between the times I get to hang out with the Ohana. Face to face, glass of something yummy, smiles and giggles.....

That is why I so excited about Ohana coming this fall. The name says it all!

Good topic resurrection. Beyond the East vs West or North vs South...here I sit in the Capital of California and there isn't a Tiki Bar in sight. :( I am destined to commute extreme distances for decent Tiki ambiance and cocktails...yada yada yada, I could go on but it is too depressing. My first-born for a Monkey Pod right now!!!

L

I am so glad I moved away from the East coast and to the West coast--but only because after 20+ years I was done with the hurricane season. I would much rather be shakin with an earthquake then sweating with no power and eating peanut butter and jelly during some "no name storm" that is ruining my weekend.

The bonus is of course the close proximity to some great bars with delicious cocktails and some kick arse tiki hunting grounds.

The West coast is the best coast because at least I am now one of those people who watch the weather report for the nation and just say "Oh look I think Florida may be getting hit with another hurricane-oh well what do we have saved on TiVo?" as oppossed to the 24 hour vigil I used to give as the wind and rain and flooding set it.

Viva la California! Pour me another zombie and let the shakin begin!

W

There's an East coast?

MT

Naw, it's a myth. There's nothing east of Vegas. Except for perilous dragons.

Chip, let us know how bright the sun is in the morning.

H

What's the beef? Is this between Waianae and Kailua? East coast / west coast?
Dudes! Look outside! You drive around in a big circles here, in case you didn't notice.
So where's this New York? I can't find New york or Los Angeles on my Oahu map.
Are you people making this up?
Waianae does have most of the homeless, but I don't see many other differences.

On 2009-06-06 09:54, HelloTiki wrote:
What's the beef? Is this between Waianae and Kailua? East coast / west coast?
Dudes! Look outside! You drive around in a big circles here, in case you didn't notice.
So where's this New York? I can't find New york or Los Angeles on my Oahu map.
Are you people making this up?
Waianae does have most of the homeless, but I don't see many other differences.

Yeah I checked my BRYAN'S STREET ATLAS and no more NY or LA on my map. Only get Palolo, Kaimuki, Manoa, Makiki, etc...

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-02-10 10:29 ]

J

East Coast vs. West Coast ?

How about Northern Ca vs. Southern Ca ? (In one corner you have Forbidden Island and Smuggler's Cove vs......).

Even better, Los Angeles vs. Orange County.

Or even Tonga Hut vs. DTBC since they seem to draw separate tribes of So CA Tikiphiles. TV would be neutral, kind of like Switzerland (and I don't think anyone goes to Tiki-Ti anymore). Now is the time to choose sides. :D

I think some areas tend to have a stronger concentration of extreme opinion or even lack-there-of and that brings into question the "Nature or Nurture" factor of the spread. My first inclination was to look at geological factors such as exposure to extreme heat causing higher rum consumption or exposure to extreme ideology causing....higher rum consumption or possibly strange gaseous leaks seeping up through cracks in the earth or periods of isolation due to Winter....all leading to....you know.

What we need to do is have a few annual events and drink together, maybe even a thumb war or two! Now THAT is an idea. There could be music and stuff.

I have lived all over including Boston, The Caribbean, The "Bay Area", and Florida. While Florida Does have more Old People... Cali has WAY more aliens. So ....mind control and body snatching could also be playing a part.

On 2010-02-10 10:42, JOHN-O wrote:
East Coast vs. West Coast ?

How about Northern Ca vs. Southern Ca ? (In one corner you have Forbidden Island and Smuggler's Cove vs......).

Even better, Los Angeles vs. Orange County.

Or even Tonga Hut vs. DTBC since they seem to draw separate tribes of So CA Tikiphiles. TV would be neutral, kind of like Switzerland (and I don't think anyone goes to Tiki-Ti anymore). Now is the time to choose sides. :D

OH You do love to stir the pot don't you John?
don't even get me started, I have enough enemies.
:o :wink:

Jeff(btd)

Can't we all just get along?

On 2010-02-10 23:32, bigtikidude wrote:
OH You do love to stir the pot don't you John?
don't even get me started, I have enough enemies.
:o :wink:

Jeff(btd)

Don't be a martyr,Jeff.
No one will notice...
:wink:

Remember this Post? This post says it all, a good looking Tiki who gave the East Coast a shot and was discovered by exceptional Bi-Coaster RoyalTiki and then awesome East Coaster Sneakyjack did some great legwork but in the end after a few days of East Coast Hemming and Hawing he was rescued by outstanding West Coaster (Queen Kamehameha) and returned home to the West Coast where he belonged. His father the amazing Barney West was so into being a West Coaster that he used WEST for a last name.

This whole debate is so easily won by the West Coast you'd have to be drunk to think otherwise like Chip was when he first composed this, do you East Coasters even know that we have several islands that are part of California (Catalina, Balboa, Alcatraz to name a few) that are actually in the Pacific Ocean so while California isn't a Pacific Island we own lots of em. Can you say that Maryland? I didn't think so.

Also you have more mosquitos than we do.

lol

People on the West coast think people in Floriduh only hang out in jimmy buffet's margaritaville and we all have parrots in our tiki bars, oh and we like to dress like pirates, but little do they know only in Tampa lol.

I've lived on both coasts, unfortanetly I was to young to go into a tiki bar when I lived in San Diego.

Pages: 1 33 replies