Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

(mostly) tiki centralite art : benzart curly lono, page 13, 6/25/10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies

S

Glad to see you picked up the Miles peice from the tikiti, he had told me that someone was buying it, should have figured it was you with your growing collection.

He is a great guy and a must have artist for your tiki collection, especially as he is getting more notoriety and is cutting down on the tiki art.

I would recommend leaving the plexiglass on your painting. His tiki peices are goache (water color) on paper, and need glass to protect them from the elements. Unlike oils and acrylics on board, the paper should be under glass.

We have about a dozen of his originals in the house, and glare is not much of a problem. If it really bothers you, you can change out the glass to non-glare glass.

sirginn, big mahaloz for your comments and advice. i will be leaving the plexi-glass on after reading what you had to say. there's not really any glare just looking at it, only when i snapped the pics with flash. a dozen miles thompson originals??? i'd really love to see some pics of your pad!

S

Kingstiedye-

Yeah, we have a lot of tiki inspired art on the walls. (Shags, Miles/Kooche, aaron marshall, glenn barr, ryden, easthrope, visell, flounder, etc...)

You are acquiring quite a collection, soon you will have my dilema... not enough wall space.

Your extensive collection is truly amazing. It is comforting to me to know that I am not the only crazy one out there who appreciates and collects tiki art, many of which were crated by the talented members of this forum.

I will try to snap some pictures of the house, recently bought a new place, remodeled and had a baby, so everthing is not hanging yet.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 2:51 AM

Nice man. Its a Creating Tiki who's who on dem walls :)

Stunning braddah, B! YOU are an incredibly passionate collector and best of all, one helluva nice guy to boot!!! Thanks for sharing.

So seriously, when is the grand opening of The SacTikiTown Museum? This virtual tour is fun, but USA Bus Tours is looking for something new and the tours of Graceland just ain't what they used to be...?

Keep the tiki torch burning, brah! I look forward to a day when I can see your treasures up close...and you say, "Please stay on the marked tour trail and behind the designated boundry rope!" HANDS OFF!

Shaka, Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

got my crazy al chess set yesterday. amazing!!!

Yowza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beauty!

i really appreciate all the positive comments. tiki5-0 and any else, i'm happy to have visitors. aquaorama, danlovestikis and limptiki have been by this year.

Hey Kingstiesdye, when are we invited over next??? Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 11:39 PM

GROG loves Crazy Al's tiki chess set! You lucky bastard.

You don't want GROG to come visit, because GROG won't be leaving empty-handed.

You sure have good taste.
Great collection.

B

Bullet, I'm really happy to see you got Crazy al's Chess set. That man is one of if not THE best tiki carver around and that set is Phenominal!
Like JP, I to am humbled and honored to be included within your collection. How far IS Sacramento anyway?? Hmmm.

ben, it's only 2490 as the crow flies, but a little under 3000 miles drving. hit the road, jack! grog, al has the chess sets for sale on his website. and grog, you're welcome to visit, but i'll be keeping a close eye on you! :) wendy and dan, how 'bout next weekend? i'll give you a call. as a side note, i just acquired c'al's shrunken head painting from the upcoming tiki art now 3 show. a truly amazing piece. big mahaloz for all of your comments!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-05 20:18 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 7:16 PM

I'm glad that you are getting the art when it is for on sale. You know, before its resold on Ebay. But man, now you are getting them before the show. Good for you. I thought I heard Pexi isn't UV protected {??}. If so, you are going to so want non-glare glass.

Sirginn, you said original Miles. Does that mean that you have original Barr and Ryden. Which ones?

miles told me the plexi-glass is uv protected.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 9:52 PM

bullet, i think it's great that you do what you do. i wish more people would share their art. i'm sorry i'm running behind on my carving. your piece is on the bench. i'm just having a rough spell in my life right now. hopefully barbara won't come down on me.

i'm sorry to hear that, pd. no hurries for me. i hope everything works out ok for you, brah.

S

kingstiedye-glad to hear you have been talking to Kirsten at Roq la rue, I almost pulled the trigger on a couple, but have held off thus far. I just paid for a big Sas Christian commission which should arrive next week, and probably need to chill on the art purchases for a bit and focus on the house remodel.

PD- Yeah we have a glenn Barr original, smaller painting from a midwest show a few years ago. The rydens we have are all prints. Passed on the opportunity to purchase an original a couple of times, too many expenses to justify paying the same amount for my luxary automobile and a painting. I really like the lowbrow art scene and have tried to limit our collection to tiki themed peices/commissions from our favorite artists.

I'm taking off to cabo today for my little brothers bachelor party, but when I am back I will try to post some of our art collection.

T

Sick collection Bullet, thanks for sharing all the photo's. You should publish a book with your entire collection. I think my favorite piece is the red carving of the Tiki on the panel. Is that from New Zealand?
Mahalo!

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 5:59 AM

hi kingstiedye,

i just found this thread now and i am blown away!! i love sifting thru the Creating forum and often wonder where some of the fantastic pieces end up, and i can see that those that have ended up with you have truly found a lucky home.

it is amazing that you show such love towards your artwork and faith to the great artists out there. thanks for sharing it with us.

look out you may just have an overseas visitor sometime in the next decade!!

cheers, harro.

On 2006-09-06 13:11, Tikinomad wrote:
I think my favorite piece is the red carving of the Tiki on the panel. Is that from New Zealand?
Mahalo!

"tane mahuta" was done by maaka tipa of new zealand. it's 4 feet tall. sirginn, i also scored paul nielsen's mangotipi vase from tiki art now 3. there's alot of great art left for sale. http://www.roqlarue.com/showpages/TikiArtNow3/gallery.html harro, you're always welcome here, but bring hewey with you! :)

T

Kingtie- Man, I have been waiting to see the art from this next Art show. Couldn't even find that link on their site. A lot of great art, but I bet you got some of the choice items. Still unsold, I like the Tony stuff. Much better than a deer head for me.

yeah, tony's pieces are great as always. i'm starting to run out of wall space, though. especially after i get teaKEY's kava kava man framed. :) i only bought 2 from the show, but there are several others i covet.

tuki tuki by tiki tony

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-08 11:02 ]

2 more from my talented friend, kirby.

da islands

beach n tiki

B

Hey Brook... I just been lurking around here since you showed me the site a while back. Anyway wheres the website that has the tiki chess set?

aloha to my braddah b00gedy! b00 took my ohana on a fantastic hike when we were on oahu in july. here's the link for crazy al's chess set: http://www.tikimania.com/docs/chess.html

B

Thanks Brook! I think this is a set I'll be getting for myself.

BTW me and the girls had a great time on the hike and look forward to seeing you and your ohana again.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 1:20 AM

On 2006-09-08 10:18, kingstiedye wrote:
Harro you're always welcome here, but bring hewey with you! :)

Sounds good to me. Harro, so when do we go? :)

here are a few more. the first one is one of my most prized possessions.

benzart/crazy al collaboration. a gift from benzart, my favorite tcer!

lake surfer carved wall hanging from the dva anniversary show. benzart #71.

CA

Nice!

here's my latest pic of my munktikis.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-10-04 13:12 ]

great collection of munks!
I love how you've displayed your necklaces, I'm trying to figure out how to display mine too

Wonderful collection! Great photos and display.

ST

DAMN!!!!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 11:30 PM

GROG has a slingshot, and that sure is tempting.

Bullet!! Dis Sistah digs your collection, love to see some backyard art & more displays of mugs of course! Quite humbling for sure. A treat to see, HiPHiPaHUlA!!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-09-23 14:01 ]

Quote:

"i quit when my first marriage was in trouble, but my wife didn't like me sober either. "

Bullet, this did make me chuckle..lol.. but kudos every sober day brah.. I say, "Toast with Diet Coke, be kept & buy mugs" ok, I never say that but buy mugs anyway!

oh, don't know if this info. helps or not glare is glare but most plexiglass is NOT UV rated but "Lex San" is.

What can anyone say but, WOW!! :)

I've heard talk of your collection like tales of legends!
I've lost many a bidding battle to you on ebay...mostly GECKO stuff!
I'm truly in awe of your collection!
Hopefully I can see it one day visiting Dan & Wendy?

Mahalos for sharing this wonderful collection!

Maybe we'll see you at the Forbidden Island show on Sunday?

I'm absolutely blown away.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 5:29 AM

Mate, if I ever do make it over to visit, you might have to check my bag on the way out :)

i had a fantastic time at forbidden island yesterday. picked up some great stuff from chongolio, polynesiac, jungle trader, dr. tikimojo and crazy al.

new bosko scored from jungle trader with an old dog........................frankie mama by polynesiac next to a papua new guinea spirit figure.

bombora and tiki mask by chongolio
here a few more i recently received.

skulleater by paipo........................................................fireside kahona by cheeky half.

the amazing cula cula club by basement kahuna. superb craftsmanship. mahalo braddah bk!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-25 22:25 ]

here are some new additions.
from the tiki art now 3 show: mangotipi by paul nielsen and shrunken head #1 by crazy al.

a couple of pendants from my favorite kiwis. freckle by tama the terrible and niku by paipo.

png bone dagger by johnny p.

super dooper hand painted ape and hibiscus mugs by crazy al.

shrunken head lamp by tipsy mcstagger.

last but not least, huhu by little lost tiki.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-11-15 13:31 ]

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-11-15 13:35 ]

T

i was in awe of your collection already and you just keep adding more & more great things to it. you definitley have a lot of work from tc's best & plenty more to come i'm sure! great seeing it all!!

T

Love that hibiscus mugs more than the Ape, for some reason, although, that Ape is the only one of its kind at the moment.

The Crazy Al painting it mind blowing. THe paint and the tikis on the side.

Very cool collection of stuff King....always good to see your "collecting" updates.

mahalo 5-0, teaKEY and conga. gotta get my teaKEY painting framed soon. conga, love to add one of your crazy png pieces if you can ever part with one. i have dozens of png pieces; masks, spirit figures, spirit hooks, billum bags, bone daggers, and a 6 foot long 22 inch diameter slit gong drum just delivered from long beach last friday.

Very Nice Bullet, These pieces of art you just posted are some of my most favorite in your collection. just wow!..... :)

Hey let's see that slit drum! Thanks for the comments on my pieces...we'll hook up sometime...
I'd be honored to have representation in your collection.

T

Hey KIng, My favorite PNG and should be one of the tops is the very fun and ironic Skull Rack complete with sKulls. The Skull Racks are the happiest and cute little guys and if that is all you see, they are so cute you could place one in a baby's crib. But match one with their true purpose and they become deaths locker. Reminders of where all man will meet there end.

Collection is growing strong. I was looking the other day to bump up the group shots of TC members mug collections. As cool as those pictures you posted, I know by Ooga-Mooga, that its not even half. :D Take CAre -teaKEY

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 193 replies