Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tropical Patio Rebuild May 2013 Done!

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

M

WoW!!!

How cool is that.

Nicely done

Monkeyman stole those words from me but I'm stealing them back. WOW! Wendy

It looks like a Maori whare whakairo with all of the awesome carvings on it. Great job!

I've been planning to put a moai off the beam of my hut...you beat me to it....lol

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 5, 2013 4:05 PM

Needs more tikis.

On 2013-02-28 15:42, TikiAno wrote:
Buzzy, I dig the molding, may want some to go around existing 4x4 posts... look forward to meeting one of these days soon.

Hey TikiAno: Hit me up when you're ready. I've been wanting to try and do some fake beam covering molding.

On 2013-03-01 03:49, Will carve wrote:
It took Buzzys thread to get a picture
of Hilda out there.
All right.

Check in Bilge, topic: Post pictures of when you were thin and good looking, page 19 :wink: Saw your work there. Nice!

On 2013-03-05 02:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Looking Good Buzzy!

Thanks ATP! What do you think of the hut?

On 2013-03-05 09:56, Monkeyman wrote:
WoW!!!

How cool is that.

Nicely done

Thanks MM. Glad someone like you can appreciate it.

On 2013-03-05 10:12, danlovestikis wrote:
Monkeyman stole those words from me but I'm stealing them back. WOW! Wendy

Thanks Wendy!

On 2013-03-05 10:25, tikilongbeach wrote:
It looks like a Maori whare whakairo with all of the awesome carvings on it. Great job!

Good call. That was the plan: A simplified mixed style carved house. NOw Hilda just nedds to put all her tiki decor/collection stuff in it. Then it will crazy nice. This part was just the build so far, decorating it is next.

On 2013-03-05 15:37, ErichTroudt wrote:
I've been planning to put a moai off the beam of my hut...you beat me to it....lol

I'm sure there are plenty more with one out there. I can't off the top of my head recall if I ever saw one, but there's always room for more. Throw one up!

On 2013-03-05 16:05, GROG wrote:
Needs more tikis.

They were there... They're all just hiding out until after I leave. The old hut had so many tikis, you couldn't see the hut.

Buzzy Out!

"hopefully you can grab a fresh one (lemon) off the tree while tending bar"
Talk about FRESH!!!!!
Keep up the great work Hilda & Buzz!

I went up and did the last few unfinished parts of the hut today. My work is done! Now it's time for Hiltiki to get it all decorated up with her tiki stuff. I'm pretty darn happy with the way it turned out. And the neat thing is that it will only get better with time!

Fill 'er up!

Here are the last few things I needed to do and that got done today...

I started with some shelves in two window sections to go behind the bar, and put a solid plank wall behind them:

Didn't want it to feel like a closed in dark box, but we still wanted two more window sections filled. Solution: Bamboo fencing! I got an awesome deal ($25! on sale) from my good pal Cobain at Tikiland on a 5 x 8' stained 1" bamboo fence. (plug)

Here's one side of the shelves after the bamboo installed. I had enough left over to fill in the top section as well.

Lets light and a breeze in, and it looks damn cool like that.

The other side of the shelves done with bamboo:

I found a new stain color not yet represented in the hut for the pieces of wood that framed the bamboo panels

Backside of that wall on the right:

Bamboo window a little closer view:

Next part needed some at home prep work first, so I did the carving last week. This tiki holds up the ridge beam and is perched right over the front entry:

Slot carved for ridge beam:

And....Bam! There it is finished and installed:

Carved beams frame it nicely:

After he was up, I filled in the triangles on both sides with some planks, stained yet another color:

I did the same on the back wall after that.

Some interior vintage OA decor came next:

Then the HUGEST puffer fish lamp I ever saw and another OA light:

A neat float for the front:

I left area behind the tiki open so you can see the lights from the outside. I think it looks kind of neat like that.

And finally, a few more random shots of it all at day's end:

Hiltiki's going to start posting pictures of the hut in home bars thread when she's all moved in, so until there's more building or carving to be done...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-05-03 00:38 ]

Great remodel Buzzy! I really like the Tiki Atlas, holding the weight of the hut on his shoulders (or head)

M

All I can say is your new hut is Colossal! Your tiki holding the beam is over the top and very unique!

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 3, 2013 10:34 AM

GROG ready to take it for a test drive. Start serving those drinks Hilly.

Looks really cool! Nice open bar, perfect for San Diego weather. Can't wait to see it decorated.

Oh man that is so cool. Love the ridge beam tiki! :)

WOW! Y'all have done a great job. Love the details with the bamboo and the planking and the Tiki holding up the ridge beam is MOST excellent. :)

Can't wait to see more.

Dale

T

Buzzy, looks fantastic. Love the combination of all the different materials, colors, and more. Looks like a killer place to hang out during Saturday's heat....

Sweet. That's such a creative hut. Love your beam supporting tiki. Just a big WOW, Wendy

HT

WUNDERBAR!

G
Gwen posted on Sat, May 4, 2013 10:09 AM

It is beautiful and astounding and impressive. I am especially taken with the bamboo windows and of course the carving details on the outer wall panels.

A

Looks excellent, especially all that routing work!

Pages: 1 2 66 replies