Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 273 replies

CA

Here is a directory of my tikis so far.
120-p1,141-p5,144-p7,107-p7,146-p8,151-p9,155-p9,157&158-pg.10,159-160&161-pg.11,APE'3'-pg.12,162-65-pg.13,156-pg14,155-pg15,171&174-pg16,173&66-pg17,175&175-p18

original post

I've shied away from this post as my obsessive/compulsive nature will have me on this thing as much as the rest of you freaks.... I rather be the ostrich with my head in the sand then see all the lions, tigers, and bears that pop out of the banana trees every other day... Lots of great talent out in the world and on these creating pages.
However, my last commission gave me a perfect opportunity to get my 'benzart' on... get off my ass, and sculpt something entertaining......
The Copro/Nason Gallery asked me to do a piece for their 15 year retrospective show & book out this Dec. . Here's my spin on the popular 'low-brow' hot-rod - surf culture that the Copro/Nason Gallery is so fond of. A few of my first major 'artistic' tiki efforts were created for Copro/Nason gallery shows starting in '98. Enjoy the new creation.....
even though it will make the traditionalist tiki-carvers skin crawl... BK take an antacid

What will this log bring forth???

I learned from Doug Nason that 'flat head tikis' in Marquesan culture are Kings! great!! All of my tikis for the past ten years have been 'flat headed' tikis!

So why did I do my first non-flat head tiki???

that Benz-o has a way of inspireing a fellow to actualty carve a nice piece of wood into something excellent....

[ Edited by: crazy al 2012-04-28 15:52 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2012-10-05 11:50 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2013-02-02 12:30 ]

That thing looks wicked sweet.

B

Oh God, My SKIN is CrawLingggg, I Can't stand it. ALso the drool has started up, can you cut it out?? First Non-Flat-head tiki??? you should be ashamed of waiting so long.. Ahhh, I know. It just dawned on me what your Problem is,, You've been hangin''round that "Other" Ben too long and you're wearing off on him, I See.
Well hurry up and finish this thing , I'm runnung out of dryu towels.

Hell Yeah!!! EEEeeeeeAAAAaaaaOOOoOooOooOoWWWWwwwwwww

M

That idol is gonna be Crazy Al !!! Nice!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 7:58 PM

Looking good man

On 2006-07-12 10:35, crazy al wrote:

So why did I do my first non-flat head tiki???

Hmmmmm, could those be more wings than head.....

Should eye call you Crazy Von Al ?

No matter what it is , Its kick ass already!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Another Masterpiece :)

On 2006-07-12 12:31, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Hell Yeah!!! EEEeeeeeAAAAaaaaOOOoOooOooOoWWWWwwwwwww

Spermy,
I'm feeling a little offended by your constant EEEeeeeeAAAAaaaaOOOoOooOooOoWWWWwwwwww's all the time! Could you refrain as they give me diharea? Mucho Mahalo!

P.S. Got any more Spam Spray????

P.P.S. Looks like another classic C'Al tiki in the works!!!
WoooooooHooooooOOOOO!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-07-12 21:48 ]

CA

new pics above.......

what's all the sh!t talk... keep it about my Sh!t.... oooo what's that smelll???

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 12:41 PM

GROG watched Al carve his ass with loving care.

that anatomy is Pheeeee-nom-enal! Love the toes.

J

Damn, that's over the top, and not a flat top at that! I enjoy your posts and you need to post more often.
JP

That is BAD ASS! Can't wait to see it finished. Love your style. :tiki:

wow. that's already a beauty! Super-duper carving, al. I love how you use the different layers of the palm wood.

I know you probably still have a ton of finite detail to add - but that tiki is already lookin' a cut above.

Thanks for posting the progress pics, It's gonna be fun to watch it come together.

I'm with GROG (what up?). Your tiki has a fine, taught ass. mmmmm....tiki ass....

I really like pizza

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-07-13 18:23 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 5:51 PM

your a frickin maniak al ..your my biggest insperation.. im floored by your talent .....kirby

M

Off the freakin Hook Al! This creature reminds me of stickers I used to get in the 60's with the beasts head sticking out of a radical rod with a ridiculous sized blower and a nitrous bulb in one hand. Remember those? This guy looks like one of the beasts. Awesome carving sir.

CA

McTiki you will like the results of this one.....
Crazy AL Tiki#120 "Von Rat Tiki" is a tribute to your beloved Hot-Rod memories.......
this whole idea started with the flying eye of Von Dutch the rest just fell in place......
thanks for all the great comments! the thing carves it's self. I just wish it new when to stop.

K

Dude ...can I be your apprentice.....

holy crap...

Ive never seen anything like it. Those wings are super trick and so well executed. I aspire to have your command of shape and proportion.

geeezzz

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 12:04 AM

Hmmmmm.....seems like it's missing something
between the hands. :)

H

Bloody awesome man! Cant wait to see this one completed! What about a mug of this one too! Those feathers on the wings look great.

this is deffa-nitly Crazy...Al....the wings are incredible...and I dig your feets too.....
nice work.

B

I don't know, Al, I think you are slakin off on the detail, I don't see much detail here.. Maybe if I open my eyes,, Ahhh Yes thatz better. Awesome .. This has all the makings of the Most fantastic piece you have done yet. More dry towels again please??
Careful, I think the Left middle toe is a shade smaller than the right one.

I remeber seeing this guy when he was just a little tike at Baboo Ben's a couple of weeks ago. A Holy Crap now he's growing wings!!! All I can say is you are freakin Nutz!!! This guy is great!!! Thanks for sharing the progress pic's !!!

Kaaablaaaamoo! This is AWESOME Al!

Flippin unreal!!!!! Crazy gone!

This thing is awesome!!!!

T

all i can say is......WOOOOOOOOW!!!!! awesome work!!

T

The next level of tiki is here!!!!

That guy better have a great home to live in.

Al, that is ACE work! Check out them wings...Fucking'ay gorgeous.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 5:44 PM

I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said, but just wow! You've got so much detail happening, it took me a while to work out what was going on. I love seeing tiki fused with other styles!

CA

here's a bit of traditional flavor for ya straight from the islands...and not....... benz's sharpening lessons a must foe this kind of thing

M

Wow!

CA

here's the finished piece......"VonRat" Tiki

STOKE!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 15, 2006 11:15 AM

You have learned well, young Jedi.

I am in awe of how amazing this is !!!!

M

Teh Drool! where did that come from Al? (lol, looks like someone supercharged their skills!)

B

He Learned well, Loong time ago, he's just Now gettin 'round to doin it the right way. (Blamin it on dull tools baaa!)
Al, I Still can't believe you can get so much detail from a piece of palm, Only you could do stuff like this. Still Awesome and Still Inspiring. Definitely t he BEst 'round here!

T

Maybe his eye is black with the reflection of a rat in it. If I don't see that eye clear then it makes it look to not have a face about the mouth. Love that little tiki that he is holding. That little guy along is a beautiful tiki

I think I just sh!t my pants! Al, where are you sending this beauty?? That is one of the most amazing tikis I've ever seen!!!

HOLY SHIT! :o

I just spent the last 5 minutes laughing. Not because I thought the tiki was funny, but because I didn't know what else to do! Great, great work!

TG

Al, this thing is soooooo rad. I'm stoked beyond belief. You have totally outdone yourself with this one.

Hot Rod's forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G.

There's so much kick ass detail I don't even know where to begin!!!!! I love it!!!
(those tats are my fav - totally rockin' designs!)

AL!
That is incredible! You are INCREDDIBLE! What talent! This one is so alive and so fluid,it looks like it can can just jump up and fly away! Truly a masterpiece!

.....wow..... how did you think of this? its awsome! good work!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 15, 2006 9:22 PM

Mate, your best tiki bar far!

Great work :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 273 replies