Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 273 replies

insanITY!
Insane in the brain. So cool.

CA

MAN? I should have started posting here long ago.... it's great for my manic depressive hang ups. Feeling the blues?... post two pics and reply in the morning.... thanks for all the kind words

Here's the story on this piece.... the man behind the curtain revealed... not allot of creativity, just creative use of other great creative masters' work.... (AKA stylish ripping off of ideas)...
anyway.. because the Copro/Nason Gallery asked me to do a piece for their 15 year retrospective show & book out this Dec. . I did my spin on the popular 'low-brow' hot-rod - surf culture that the Copro/Nason Gallery is so fond of.

Von Dutch was the inspiration and decorative nature of complexity

carved not painted

Big Daddy Roth was the monster inspiration of contorted gnarly-ness

A few of my first major 'artistic' tiki efforts were created for Copro/Nason gallery shows starting in '98. In '99 I produced two of my most ambitious pieces to that date. Tiki#17 and #18 appeared in Copro/Nason's Edgar Leeteg Tribute Show.......
Crazy AL Tiki#18 featured a velvet painting on it's nose....

so in retrospective, I tribute myself with this look into the soul of "VonRat Tiki" with another velvet painting.
No need to ask why the eye is so dilated.

Crazy AL Tiki#17 featured an Oceanic Art's curio tiki... (with added phallus)

So once again another OA catalog curio tiki appears in this piece....
Not only because I would not crave a tiki like this for $40... But the 'standard curio tiki' represents the cultural icon we've all obviously come to adore.

Now for the tattoos.... No creative greatness here... these are traditional designs straight from a master Tahitian artist... straight from the skin of Traveling Doug Nason who commissioned this 'Retrospective Show Tiki'.

da da da That's all folks...... I should have tuk a left at AL'ba-quirky!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 11:19 AM

crazy adj. 1. mentally deranged; demented; insane.
2.senseless; impractical; totally unsound: a crazy
scheme. 3. Informal.intensely enthusiastic; passionately
excited: crazy about baseball. 4. Informal.very enamored
or infatuated (usually fol. by about): He was crazy about
her. 5. Informal.intensely anxious or eager; impatient:
I'm crazy to try those new skis. 6. Informal.unusual;
bizarre; singular: She always wears a crazy hat..
7.Slang.wonderful; excellent; perfect: That's crazy,
man, crazy. 8. likely to break or fall to pieces. 9.
weak, infirm, or sickly. 10. having an unusual,
unexpected, or random quality, behavior, result,
pattern, etc.: a crazy reel that spins in either
direction. 11. like crazy, a. Slang.with great enthusiasm
or energy; to an extreme: We shopped like crazy and
bought all our Christmas gifts in one afternoon. b.
with great speed or recklessness: He drives like
crazy once he's out on the highway. 1. Slang.an
unpredictable,nonconforming person; oddball: a house
full of crazies who wear weird clothes and come in at
all hours. 2. the crazies, Slang.a sense of extreme
unease, nervousness, or panic; extreme jitters: The
crew was starting to get the crazies from being
cooped up belowdecks for so long.

S

Incredible, your originality always blows me away.

Didn't you carve a Cat Tiki recently??

How bout some pics of that too?

#17 is All Time! (or 18?)

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-07-16 12:37 ]

C'Al, there is no better!

B

SOoooThat there's Doug Nason, the Luckiest (or smartest)Dude around town to be getting this tiki. Doug, Thanks for sharing this with Tiki Central. We are really not worthy but we know too much stuff so C'Al does what we want see.
Crazy, Yes maybe, but the GOOD kind of crazy Al you Know we really Love ya' Man!

well... donĀ“t know if awesome is the right word. the pinstriping is beautiful, is it really carved?? great!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 7:45 PM

Wow man. Great story and thought process in that piece!

You're a sick motherf*cker, brother. Sick.

Hukilau!

C

Wow great!! I can't believe it! Lots of talent,originality and craft...
The wood really comes to life

Can't wait to see a whole mess of Crazy Al madness on Friday! You are the MAN! There's a special magic seeing these guys in person! Al, make sure to take a nice nap and eat well on the big day,a little bit of chillin before the show will store up all that crazy energy ,ready to be unleashed that night! Hope you're more excited than stressed! This will definetely be the show of the year! Congrats!

They may call you crazy- You're Insane!!! The detail in your carvings is astounding.. I love the way you wrapped the tongue through the teeth and the character in the fingers and wings. Absolutely amazing work!

B

I think you have been hanging with Paaipo here recently, Beware,Beware, jxxxxrjivvvzxer and don't you ever, Ever repeat that.

MG

That thing is wicked sick Dude!
See ya at the show tomorow...

Al, You do the most incredible stuff! I am awed.....

Thank you for sharing this new one, love it

Amy

MD

Oh my Gawd oh my gawd oh my gawd oh my gawd.......I'm goin blind mama and you can't stop me......

Crazy Al walks on water!

CA

Here's CrazyAL Tiki#141 "the Bird Dance"
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_141.html

This sculpture really had a mind of it's own from the start. I never know what my finished tiki will look like. This is half the fun of sculpting and also why there is much time spent on each piece by myself.
Tiki#141 started as a commission with the infamous instructions, "Do what ever you like!, your the artist..." Great! or great... blank page syndrome...
So I decided to do an idea I've had for many years!!
Tiki#141 would be another exploration into Cross-Polynesi-ation such as Tiki#13 "Keeper of the Charm" sitting Buddha style. However, Tiki#141 would be inspired by these Hindu images

I thought I was all original, and unique, and creative, and every thing else I tried to be with my Buddha like Tiki#13 in 1998. Then, within a year or two, I found this flier in the Limbo Lounge... what the????

I guess someone else had this idea to mix things up.
This one legged stance is something I've taken on personally since 1990 or so... using it many times in self-portraits during school... and photo ops ever since...(dang psychic Ben)

As I stated, I don't usually know what my tikis will end up looking like. I start with a general idea that I will sketch onto the log. This time, with a commission at hand, and a complex sculpt in the works, I did this drawing for the client.

the 'tusk' of the original Hindu-influence concept remained in the finish piece

However, as I was starting the sculpt, a visiting friend stated to me, "you're actually going to sculpt it in a 'Kung-Fu' pose??"
From then on... the project really went to the birds...
The left hand was to be empty and hold another 'curio-tiki'. This is something I've done previously with other sculptures. But, while sculpting the hand, this appeared.

With the [karate kid] 'Crane Pose' stuck in my head, and the challenge of sculpting a perfect egg shape, I had the movie 'Rapa Nui' pop into my head. The movie had a great scene about the race to find the first egg on these little islands off the cost of Easter Island... so a sculpting I did egg-go...

Then, as i worked on the egg, I remembered a book I read parts of at the Coon Tiki Carving weekend. It stated that the Maori Hei Tiki or Infant Tiki symbol might be designed after bird embryos... and that Maori tikis in general have bird attributes. So now the piece really got my interest up. Combining the two different Island cultures was going to make a great sculpt.
Thanks Paipo!! I did not have the references I had read earlier, and I did not want to trust my memory. Paipo confirmed my bird-brain idea with some great articles he had. He sent these to me.
http://www.tikimania.com/imgs/products/141/TC/bird1.jpg
http://www.tikimania.com/imgs/products/141/TC/bird2.jpg
http://www.tikimania.com/imgs/products/141/TC/bird3.jpg
http://www.tikimania.com/imgs/products/141/TC/bird4.jpg
one item revealed an Owl design? the horn like design on these images represent the tuffs on the owl's head.

this in turn really validated my wanting to use this image within the new egg concept.

Since the Maori Owl over sees 'life' and death, I used it instead of the classic Hei Tiki with a more round head.
While roaming the net for more reference, I found out why Maori tikis are carved with crazy designs all over them (and this was from a travel site). This might be common knowledge, but seeing as I do little research until I need to, I had no clue that the maniacal spirals all over Maori tikis are ferns! or new fern leaf buds that represent 'new life', growth, or strength.

check this green stone sculpt i found!! nice!

Now, check this out! From my original 'pre-bird' concept sketch, my eye design became the perfect 'Bird-skull' design! and worked great with the classic Maori Abalone Eyes!

which worked great with Maori bird designs

as well as the Easter Island bird cult images

yes... back to the Bird-Man...
this image is all over the cliffs overlooking the 'egg contest' cost.

There was a terrible civil war in which the MOAI were cast down, and a new cult sprang up which introduced TANGATA-MANU, the Bird-Man.
I was familiar with the 'Bird-Man' Cult, not only from the Kevin Costner movie, but from a book I had.
But check this out...more weirdness... I found this image after I had already started my Egg in hand idea. I never found the original historic work, just this drawing and contemporary work

So onto Easter Island... I let the natural condition of the material dictate allot of the final look of my pieces.. Here again a wired perfect fit... I found this image. I did not record it's meaning... but it looked cool... so saved it..

and Bing Bang Boom it fit right into both shoulders of Tiki#141

as well did the Sacred Tablet writings of Easter Island peoples...

which seemed to read between the lines as well.

I put selected glyphs together that looked bird like

and even got a whole sentence? or two right from the original text!

I hope it does not tell somebody's mother to "Go take a Bird Bath!" or some thing like that. I found a site that was all about the tablets, but it was in French

I translated this one as 'man with feather'

maybe Squid could translate the rest...may be not...
this is a web site I just found, it is in english.
http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/fischer.html
here's another full sentance form the tablets I was able to use.

I sure hope it says something good....
like go cave another tiki, turkey!................

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-03-24 10:16 ]

Great Tiki and great read. Thanks for taking the time to post all the
reference stuff. Now if you would only be so kind as to build another
Tiki for us to see.

S

Crazy, crazy al i loved the mini story and i learned something.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2008 7:49 PM

Wow man - such great ideas into 1 tiki! :D Looks awesome too

i second that ...mad man carver ...u da baddest bro

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2008 8:56 PM

Wow. We had to wait since 2006 for an update for this thread, but boy was it worth it! I'm stoked I was able to contribute in some small way to the magnificence of this piece! Great insight into your working methods....

As for this guy:

..he was another very good choice considering your themes.
David Attenborough did an amazing doco that discusses this god that I can't recommend enough. A whole show about a single carved tiki!
The Lost gods of Easter Island

A decent quality preview is here...the carving he's researching is just incredible. I've watched it (the whole show that is) about 4 times now!

Outstanding, Al.

Your mind works in amazing and bizarre ways.

The detail in your work is insane, this one even more so.

The story behind the tiki is just sweet, sweet frosting on the cake.

One of a kind!

B

Amazing work as always Al, it's wonderful that you posted the research steps you took prior to this carve.

I find it intriguing how you take direction from the ancients and add to that your own vision. Your style is most definitely your own.

I guess every artist at some point has to put some type of definition to the ole art vs. craft thing...For me, the difference is that art tends to read more like a book. It stimulates and motivates the the viewer to contemplate long after they have walked away from the the piece. Art is not just a pretty, or well made object...it goes beyond it's physical existence and takes the viewer on a journey.

Thanks for sharing this art.

ST

[ I found a site that was all about the tablets, but it was in French

Best I can do, I'm really rusty:

Flying bird

Red flying bird (although how you get red from a stone carving I don't know)

Bird with long beak

Sleeping bird

B

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You deserve the title of best carver of the world, of the seas and oceans !

Amazing carving, never seen anything as wonderful.

As a French, I should add that the translation of Surf Tiki is perfect.

Respect,

Benjamin.

BRAVO AL!
Thanks for sharing the fruits of your research
and giving us ALL that insight on the thought process behind a carving!
I think you overcame that Blank Page Syndrome Splendidly!
Also, the way you work allows it to flow and to be BOTH the natural progression of the process
AND leaves enough to surprise and interest you til it's finished!
EPIC! Kept me hypnotized at the SurfBeat show for awhile!
Thanks for creating and explaining!

R
Robin posted on Thu, Mar 20, 2008 9:59 AM

That is one great story! Truly tapping into and manifesting the spirit of your piece. Very informative and educational. Thanks. I love the sychronicity that can happen when you get really involved in working on something. I also appreciated being able to read your work more adequately....I usually hate it when work is explained, but this made it fuller, and much more powerful. It reminded me of a time years ago when I was listening to Didge music and started making dot patterns on one of my pots. About six months later at the library, I discovered that this was how the aboriginal peoples of Australia made drawings, and that they were often 'maps' of sorts. Your sculpture is a wonderful blend of cultures and images.

T

I changed this Pizza Hut flyer over four years ago almost to the exact day. I added what now I can identify as your #2 tiki at the bottom. Now that you have made this tiki into a mug I will drinking out of it in no time. That beautiful teal too

MakeMake interested me when I first saw its image of a Munktiki mug and it quickly lead to learning about all things Easter Island. Like Easter Island was "discovered" on Easter (by I believe the Spanish)

T

:Double post:

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-03-20 14:59 ]

B

See, We don't call you "Crazy" for Nuthin, You been carving maori birds since a LONG time and didn't even know it. Cool stuff Brother, Really Cool stuff.Show us More pictures!

Crazy Al is precise. Everything Al creates is meticulous & immaculate. I don't know that any of us can say enough about Al's talent. I know he is a genius & just when I think wow, Al has out done himself he shares something new and even more outrageous than the last. Al is versatile and has mastered many medias. Glad you shared some art with us Al....Can't wait to have my own tiki!

Crazy Carving there for sure. You got talent!

Tom

Did you get any pics of you cutting out the eyes from those abalone shells?

That must have been a task in itself!!

They came out perfecto'!

Crazy...

xoxo

CA

no pics of Abie work... did not want to take photo while band sawing...... one $2000 two inch Super glue job is enough!

no blades here... did this while braking up reject tiki mugs???!! Did it a day after i started Mr.Bird141... since it was a clean glass like cut, it healed in under 10 days... slowed work on 141 but i missed the best Snowboard day of the season too!!
now my insurance guy tells me never go to the emergency-room unless near death... Urgent-care, go, urgent-care..
insurance picked up $300 Weee..
Thanks Machschau!! for paying the bills!!!!!

B

YOOUCH! I think the Ancient tikimug gods were very unhappy with you, They do stuff like that without thinking first.
Back to work now! :lol:

J

I don't think Crazy Al is the right name, it should be Genius Al. (for your carvings, not your cut) Your exceptional carvings are certainly very recognizable as your creative style.

• JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2008-03-22 16:29 ]

B

I agree with everyone, C'Al is THE Master Tiki carver of All. No one puts together a tiki the way he does.
AL it is really great that you are bringing this piece up to date. Got any updated pic's for us yet??

S

Not Nice the hand that is. Don't get me
started on Medical Insurance company's claim denials!

Fire Hot.

Fire gooood.

Al,

Next " Burn", bring a Low Fire Greenware Mug.

p.s. everyone should post their Crazy Al pictures here.

Amazing, Some of the best work I seen/studied. WOW!

T

Hi crazy al,
man, that was a lot to read. Very interessing stories and thoughts behind your carvings. That is a very artistic way you come to your conclusions. I was visiting TIKIMANIA long before I came here and always saluted the unique style of yours. Very inspiring.

On 2008-03-19 19:23, crazy al wrote:
Here's CrazyAL Tiki#141 "the Bird Dance"
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_141.html

So I decided to do an idea I've had for many years!!
Tiki#141 would be another exploration into Cross-Polynesi-ation such as Tiki#13 "Keeper of the Charm" sitting Buddha style. However, Tiki#141 would be inspired by these Hindu images

I thought I was all original, and unique, and creative, and every thing else I tried to be with my Buddha like Tiki#13 in 1998. Then, within a year or two, I found this flier in the Limbo Lounge... what the????
I guess someone else had this idea to mix things up.
This one legged stance is something I've taken on personally since 1990 or so... using it many times in self-portraits during school... and photo ops ever since...(dang psychic Ben)

As I stated, I don't usually know what my tikis will end up looking like. I start with a general idea that I will sketch onto the log. This time, with a commission at hand, and a complex sculpt in the works, I did this drawing for the client.

the 'tusk' of the original Hindu-influence concept remained in the finish piece

However, as I was starting the sculpt, a visiting friend stated to me, "you're actually going to sculpt it in a 'Kung-Fu' pose??"
From then on... the project really went to the birds...

Absolutely A self portrait! I think you definitely should carve it!! All in name of Good Legacy! like Vincent Van Gogh or even Norman Rockwell...
Great carve for all Museum Shows...
P.S. Don't give away anymore tips haha... But, "If it were SO easy, everyone would do it"

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-23 13:10 ]

You're a bad motherf*cker, Al! Hukilau!

CA

Bad M-Fer...? or bad business man?? the limited commission of Tiki#13s i did with a shop in the
Philippines might have expanded on their own?? Thanks to Tiki Diablo... i found #13s here in LA... better then the ones i ever got?? with my name caved on the back!!! i never got any like that either...

I knew this would happen... but not the putting my name on the back??
It's my sinister plot to take over 'Tiki' with CrazyAL clones!!!!

BambooBen just sent me this Tonga Tiki!!!??? $400
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/clt/611459408.html

lovely tiki!! (but not as nice as the ones here in LA)
however, this is not Tongan or any other Polynesian tiki... it is a Poly-Pop tiki originally carved in LA, Mainland, by white boy from Phoenix AZ... hee hee... read all about it in the next Tiki Magazine.

this tiki is an unauthorized copy by Philippine carvers who did a limited number for me in 04-05 and may still make them with-out my knowledge.

here is the original tiki that I covered in 1998... completely my own design from head to Foot!!
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_13.html

years ago this was posted to TC by a carver...

the same guy did this one i believe

the 'graphic-outline-style' of the mouths of my tikis is describes in my TM article on Tiki#11... i think i mention my first devotee...tree trimmer Jeff.. who i think did this guy found on the beach here in Huntington Beach.

Jeff, who in-turn inspired another tree trimmer, now carver, 'Tiki-king' (not the TC TikiKing)... Who i mention that took my graphic mouth outline and put Mai Tiki teeth inside... so Tiki-King inspired this HB carver TikiTony

who inspired this unknown lesser carver...

the Tiki-king guy also inspired this OC carver from Fountain Valley, Gary?.
Who's CO. is actually called 'Tikimania' if you can believe that???... but his website is 'Tikimaker' for the obvious.

This TikiMaker makes the bar stools for TikiBar...

i thought this was a 'CrazyAL Style' but maybe it should be called an "HB style"

enough on this for now... more later...

Kudos, Al...Hence what has been said here earlier many times (and often lambasted) referring to some tiki carvers out there in the world who can only seem to draw inspiration from other tiki carvers and not their own efforts/brainpower/investment to go out and study the wellspring of Polynesian art and carving indenpendently on their own. What is the end result? Copies of copies of copies of other people's styles. It pisses me off and has happened to me several times as well. Wayne Coombs, God bless him-the guy can hardly move without ten bandwagon-jumping copycats on his tail. He said he has to change his style every year. Forging your name on imposters is an even newer low.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 273 replies