Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

On 2006-09-10 20:59, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Aloha...
Hey, what store is Matt talking about when he mentions the tools Bosko suggested are found at "Depot". It sure ain't Home Depot! Nobody at my location had a clue about any of the stuff. Please lemme know, 'cuz I gotta get'em quick!
Mahaloz!

Aloha,
I picked up my blue handled Marples chisels at Home Depot. Cheap enough for a beginer like me. :) $30. They are in the saw section.

B

It looks like we aare sold out Thanks everyone and I think this is really going to be great Fun.
I would like to know from each of you what you think your skill level is basically from Beginner (No carving experience) to Intermediate (some carving expierence to pretty good) and Advanced (excellent carving experience and ability). Some of you I know, but a lot of you I am not familiar with as far as your carving ability. So, either post here or PM me. I want to taylor each lesson to one of 3 skill levels:
Basic with no expierence
Intermediate with good skills
Advanced with ability to carve most anything
So Let Me know Please.
Thanks

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 9:21 AM

GROG has MET Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, Bosko,TikiTony, Kirby,Tiki-Ray, Polynesiac, and a few other tiki carvers. That's as close to carving as GROG has gotten.

[ Edited by: grog 2006-09-13 09:22 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 9:25 AM

OH wait! GROG did cut down a tree one time and chop firewood.

B

Well then, that makes you an Advanced tiki carver!

C

Hey folks, what do we do about carving stands? Should we make our own? Any suggestions?

Also, I'm staying away from GROG unless he has some kind of license for that thing. Actually, GROG with a hook knife is even scarier.

Any wooden sawhorse with some 2x4 screwed to the sides will work. You just need a basic stand that stops something round from rolling.
It would be nice to get a count of how many people are bringing stands. We only have a couple.

I gots me own saw horse, matty-matt-matt.

Benno - I think I could classify myself as just below advanced. I still gots a TON to learn.

P

that black and decker workmate is pretty good. i use it. you can keep a log from rolling and it holds a pretty hefty load.

hehehehe, load.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-6673189-8410516?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000302VO

I'm bringing my own carving stand, and I definitely fall into the "Beginner" category.

Im a beginner...

Always looking to learn more than I already know

I'll bring a stand... I'm probably on the lower end of intermediate.. or is it the higher end of beginner?

D

I'll bring one too. What would you call a pre beginner? Oh Yea ... me :)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 8:44 AM

GROG not have carving stand, or hook knife, or chisels, or wood carving experience, or wood, but GROG does have the Carvinator 2000 and lots of bandaids, so GROG definitely ready to carve.

GROG started it up this weekend and found out a few things:
It also cuts through my roommates motorcycle, the jacuzzi,
Kirby's tikis, the hot water heater, and anything within ten feet in the garage. GROG also found out that Cammo was right, you DO need a license to operate it if you accidently dip the tip down and touch the ground. GROG finally got it stopped 3 miles from the house.The cops said they clocked GROG going 80 mph in a 35mph zone.

can we see a list of attendees?

B

It would be best if everyone brought their own Hook knives since I would just have to buy them and haul them with me to sell to you. Tree line sells the blades HERE and the walnut handles HERE
The blafdes come in packs of 3 and they have a few different blades that work with the hanle, but the #10 is the right hook. The others you may also have a use for.
MM, I think you would fall into the Advanced catagory!
Before I post the list, it shows everyone's real name as well as your TC name, any objections??

no objection from me.

I'm not real comfy with you posting my real name. Using my TC name is fine though.

C

If everybody 'chips' in another 10 bucks we can buy GROG a 65 foot giant redwood log to Carvinator up. Now THAT'S entertainment.

Hey, why do we need a name list? We're all going to meet at the Carve-Up anyway. What's next, name badges? ID bracelets?

I thought GROG was his real name.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 1:05 PM

Actually, it's GROG Jr., but GROG dropped the Jr. after GROG's pop was killed in a stampede of woolly mammoths.

B

They probably were stampeding to get away from GROG's Hairy chainsaw!

I guess the name list is not a big deal..

I always find that its fun to know who Im gonna see when I arrive.

If mystery prevails then so be it.

H
Heath posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 2:28 PM

You mean the names people use on here aren't their REAL names?
Then, who am I?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 6:14 PM

Shawn Woolery?

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 9:14 PM

You can call me Chest Rockwell...

How about Bench Presly?

i have a lot of experience sculpting (clay,wax, etc), not as much carving. i guess that would put me at an intermediate level. i have a stand (workmate) that should work fine, and posting my name is no problem.....

mahalo,
aaron

Now this is confusing!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 1:47 PM

No kidding.

Tikikirby(Aaron), GROG know Kirby already wants to kick your ass, (GROG taking bets on the fight when they meet for the first time down in San Diego, if anybody wants to get in on the action, Tikikirby is a 5 to 1 underdog), but now you've gone and pissed off Aaron's Akua. Looks like you've got another fight in your future. Just don't change your name to grog, or Grog, or any variation thereof and you're OK with GROG. Besides, GROG fight dirty, so you don't want to piss GROG off.

[ Edited by: grog 2006-09-18 13:48 ]

I'll clean out the pig pit(imu) for the brawl.

On 2006-09-18 13:47, GROG wrote:
No kidding.

Tikikirby is a 5 to 1 underdog), but now you've gone and pissed off Aaron's Akua.

I will toss an '06 Stone Epic down for this one.

Oh, I am such a beginner. I have cut my finger and the cheese but, that is about it. I used to build model cars in the 70s but, those were already cut. I just sni.. glued those together.

I did mean that I would toss the Stone down while the brawl went down. :)

EDIT HERE: Matt, I would dig to have a pass of some sort to the Deadbolt show! I will now begin to PM you.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-09-18 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-09-18 14:53 ]

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM STONES

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 3:37 PM

Um, my REAL name is Grog Grogliac Von Groggo. The Von Groggos have been groggy in these parts since before GROG was a twinkle in his pappa's eye.

Don't beat me up, GROG, I can't help it if we're family.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 7:28 PM

Cammo, you must be from the Eastside Van Groggos. The GROG family hasn't been in touch with that side of the family since the big earthshake when the continents separated. GROG guess this will be a reunion of sorts.

GROG has $50 down on Kirby in the Kirby/Tikikirby match, and GROG pretty much figures it will be a draw in the Aaron's Akua/Aaron(Tikikirby) match.

It's too bad we couldn't get Baboo Ben down to Sandiego for a battle of the Bens. That would be a good match.

is this whats its going to be like at the left coast clown fest in october?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 9:05 PM

Seeing as we're all going to be armed to the teeth with hook-knives (nasty), hammers, chisels, mallets, chainsaws, V-6 motors, x-actos, saws, and an enormous supply of bandaids, and as far as I can tell there are 165 men attending and 2 women, it may be time to stop stirring up the natives and declare a general peace before somebody gets something cut off. Especially before the drinks get poured.

Agreed? Buddies? Huh?

M
Moki posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 9:26 PM

Seeing how we (Matt, OnaTiki and Myself) are the organizers of this event. We are technically "the house" and are therefore entitled to a cut of the action. I say 40%.

Lets get ready to RUUUUMBLE!!!!!

grog, grog, grog, i know you don't remember me but we used to work together. we had some laughs and you seemed like such a nice guy, but now look at you stirring up all kinds of trouble. :D
grog is a pretty catchy name but i think KU :tiki: would be more appropriate given this transformation. i tell you what, we're a civilized people, why don't we have a good ol fashion GROG toss? that would be something i'd be up for, what do you say kirby i mean we are from the same tribe? in fact why don't we meet before the event at the lucky tiki and maybe i could persuade you over a couple mai tais :drink: ....

aaron, are you going to be at the chop? i hope so i'm looking forward to meeting both you and kirby. i dig what you guys do.

grog you may fight dirty but i never sleep, by the way where are you staying in san diego? :wink:

aaron

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 12:30 PM

GROG like tossing back grogs and navy grogs, but that's probably not what you meant.

Trying to make friends with Kirby and Aaron now, eh? Somebody's getting worried about getting their flabby animator's butt kicked. You've got a little over a month to train. You might want to get out from behind the computer cartoon boy and hit the gym a few times before the end of October gets here.

GROG's not the one stirring up trouble. You're the one trying to use everybody else's name on Tiki Central, and some of these people are pissed, Kirby in particular. GROG think it's going to take more than a single drink at the Lucky Tiki to assuage
the Kirbinator.

Let the Leftcoast Sandiego Chop Chop Rumble begin!!!!

40% Moki! You're killing GROG here!

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-09-19 12:31 ]

On 2006-09-19 12:30, GROG wrote:

"GROG's not the one stirring up trouble. "
then why do you sound like don king (without the hair)???

"You're the one trying to use everybody else's name on Tiki Central, "
i'm not trying to use any name but my given one.... i happen to like it, besides with a name like aaron kirby i was destined to love tiki.....

"and some of these people are pissed, Kirby in particular. "
oh stop, i talked with kirby about this a while ago and he seemed cool to me. in fact, he suggested the lucky tiki.

"GROG think it's going to take more than a single drink at the Lucky Tiki to assuage
the Kirbinator."
who said anything about one drink :D !!!

"Let the Leftcoast Sandiego Chop Chop Rumble begin!!!!"
don't rule out the underdog!!!! and you're right i might have to start working out if we choose the grog toss. it's been a while since i've seen ya but if i remember right, THAT ain't going to be easy!!! :D

mahaloz,
aaron benjimin grogger albert kirby aka kahuna beachcomber tangaroa
(with apologies to everyone, except grog) :wink:

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-09-19 12:31 ]

"professional" just means you get paid to learn...

[ Edited by: TikiKIrby 2006-09-19 17:51 ]

Not to interrupt the rumble in the jungle, but would anyone like some AAC? I've got several blocks... and am not using them. I'd be happy to bring some down to the seminar (except for Grog and tikikirby... No AAC headbashing!!!!!)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 6:43 PM

What the hukilele is AAC?

Active Amber Coconuts?
All Act Comedic?
Anson Abercrombie Cuthbert?

And how do we carve Anson Abercrombie Cuthbert? Freeze him first?

I want some AAC. Whatever it is.

Cammo... are you gonna be the class clown that distracts everybody else who is trying to learn?

Maybe you should wait until we have a bamboo and conch shell golf club making seminar...... :)

If you thought we were getting together to have fun then you are mistaken...

I want to see someone pushing their artwork to the next level... no matter what their ability.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 7:47 PM

Are you getting AAC? Sight unseen? Are you getting a quart or a 2 foot section?

Will somebody explain what the heck AAC is??? Or is it some kind of insider special secret of secrets carving material that everybody but Cammo knows about? Has it been explained in some mysterious prior posting?

I want some of that AAC even more now. Gimme three. If it's liquid and dangerous gimme four gallons. If you can drink it gimme five.

On 2006-09-19 19:47, Cammo wrote:
Will somebody explain what the heck AAC is???

"Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) is a precast, manufactured building stone made of all-natural raw materials. It is an economical, environmentally friendly, cellular, lightweight, structural material that provides thermal and acoustic insulation as well as fire and termite resistance."

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16053&forum=7

I would love some AAC. Very nice offer. I'm sure if you bring it, it will get used.Thanks alot.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 8:34 PM

Thanks, Kate. Very sporting to let me in on the AAC acronym.

And "Autoclaved Aerated Concrete" is way funnier than anything I could come up with.

I want some! Bring all ya got, this is the place to give some AAC a nice home. It sounds durable and easy to carve. Ditto, thanks for the offer.

• Cammo AKA de Class Clown
P

i would like some. i've tried to find it in vegas. would you like some spruce blocks?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies