Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Point of interest for some---Deadbolt and The Creepy Creeps are playing the Casbah that Saturday night. For those who aren't too tired from carving all day it promises to be a good Halloween show.

B

I Love the Left Coast tikichopshop

On 2006-08-12 18:53, Matt Reese wrote:
Point of interest for some---Deadbolt are playing the Casbah that Saturday night.

THANKS MATT! Deadbolt is awesome! At least, I hope they still are. Not sure when the last time I saw them was. 12 or 15 years maybe.

On 2006-08-10 08:33, GROG wrote:
Like my realtor likes to emphasize," Location, location location".

I love San Diego, but it's a bit of a drive and the 405 and 5 going South on a Friday SUCKS!!!!! GROG live just above Los Angeles, and I'm sure there are a number of people in the LA area and up to San Francisco who would like to go, but San Diego is just North of Mexico.Gas is around $3.20 a gallon out here.GROG propose it be located nearer LA so that it's more centrally located between San Diego and San Francisco, so that more people will have the opportunity to make it.

Just GROG's two cents.

Hi Grog, I live in redondo beach, maybe some of us LA people could commute together? I am going to sign up

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2006-08-12 19:59 ]

On 2006-08-10 19:02, TikiKIrby wrote:
I'm in, but i do agree with grog that san diego is tough to get to for some of us, and it is halloween weekend. i'm sure there is a good reason for san diego (like transporting 25 logs :D), but you'd probably get more responses from a los angeles venue. i know it would save me a couple hundred greenbacks....

so who do we pay and are there any recommendations for specific tools?

thanx,
aaron

Yes, please let us know where to sign up and what we will need, thanks

Amy

H
Heath posted on Sat, Aug 12, 2006 9:05 PM

My brother wants to come also. Let me know how many boxes of band-aids I'll need to bring so there's enough to go around.

B

Would any of you coming to this "Left Coast Seminar" like me to do the half carved "Lessons" like I did in Coon Tiki?
I need to know soon as it takes a bit of time and I need to get more bass wood.
So far we have 17 promises and 7 of those are paid. When you pay, you need to give a shirt size to Moki too!
Thanks

My mistake. Deadbolt and the Creepy Creeps are on friday night. I can get a discount for anyone who is going to go. Also like Ben stated please give t-shirt sizes to Moki. I'll need a count so I can get those rolling.

This is an e-mail I got from Bosko regarding tools. I hope it is helpfull.
The tools;

Marples blue handled chisels; you can get a 4 pc set at Depot I think they
run 20 to 30 dollars. If you want to get fancy (or work plan to work large)
they also make a 2" and a 1-1/2"
"Wood is good" synthetic mallet, I'd get the medium weight, (20oz) this you
can pick up at Rockler on Clairmont Mesa.
Something to sharpen with, a cheap 2"X6" sharpening stone is OK and they run
about (?) some people really like to make a big thing about sharpening
stones, but for beginners the regular ones are fine, again I think you can
get these at Depot.
1 lumber crayon, I like blue or black.

Next this stuff is not necessary but it does make the job easier,
A draw shave with a BLADE (not total width) of at least 9 inches wide. A
small hatchet or axe, I used to have a old Sears roofers hammer/hatchet
which I loved until it was broken.

Cheers.
Matt

B

IF I do the half carved lesson, you willbe using the Hook Knife and large bandaids.
[Max field length is unknown] CWH-3LJ CWH-3LJ Lock Jaw Handle $13.65 $13.65
[Max field length is unknown] 10-B Detail carving blades ( Sold in packages of 3) $3.28 $3.28
From http://www.warrencutlery.com/indexb.htm Warren CUtlery sells these cheap as you can see.
Does anyone want the half carved lesson?
Also I will show you how to sharpen your chisels a quick and easy,effective way, just one of many!

man this seminar sounds GREAT. i want to come SO bad. i want to meet all these amazing and talented carvers and their unique styles. but.....i live in canada, i dont know how much a trip there would cost, and i cant take plane if i got chissles. i would definately call off halloween for this event but again the transportation thing is the problem and i am only 15.

but if anyone from canada is comming down there give me a shout because ill pitch in for the trip if i can.

we need to have one of these events a little near the border atleast haha.

Ben - I am signed up and ready to go. I can't wait to meet you and carve with you, bosko and Diablo. I would LOVE to do the 1/2 carved pendant, that looked like a BLAST!

Can't wait!

Are the hook knifes you posted good ones or just inexpensive ones? which ones would you buy? I know nothing about hook knives, but I am very interested in learning. THanks Ben!

V

Where do I sign? I'm in, especially since I can drive this time!!Can you give me more details like where to send $$$$ ?

T

On 2006-08-13 22:24, Polynesiac wrote:
I would LOVE to do the 1/2 carved pendant, that looked like a BLAST!
Are the hook knifes you posted good ones or just inexpensive ones?...

I thought the Warren Cutlery Hook Knives were quite good - I use mine all the time. The blades are cheap enough that I usualy just sharpen them a couple of times, then toss 'em and replace them with new ones. I'd suggest buy a set or two of new blades at the same time you buy the set Benz suggests.

I "think" these are the right blades (Ben?):

at http://www.warrencutlery.com Online Store:

Part 8-B - Detail Carving Blade (sold in packages of 3)
Blade specifications: 5/16" wide x 2 1/4" long, semi straight shape( 2" radius). .030 thick. Hollow ground on inside curve to a Razor-edge.High carbon Tool steel- hardened and double tempered to Rockwell 60 C scale. Excellent detail blade easy to resharpen with a diamond.
Price: $3.28

I also suggest having Benz set up the 1/2 carves like he did for us at CoonTiki - that was very helpful (plus you get to take an original Benzart home, albeit only 1/2 of one!).

Have a blast! I know you will!

B

The hook knives I posted are from Warren tools and Cutlery and they are the Best. I Might just get a bunch and let you guys buy them from me, thatway I know everyone will have the right stuff. Good Idea??
For you still needing info Here it is:
"Hey all,
Here are the official West Coast Carving Seminar details.

Dates: October 28th & 29th, 2006.
Instructors: Benzart, Tiki Diablo & Bosko.
Cost $125.00 per person
What you'll get: Two days of instruction, lunch, snacks, beverages & a commemorative t-shirt. You will also be provided a two foot log for your carving pleasure, but you will need to bring your own chisels (BYOC) and a carving stand if you have one.

The event will be limited to 25 carvers. First come, first served. Payment will be required in advance. No reservations will be held without payment. You can pay by check, money order or PayPal. If paying by PayPal, a $4 fee will be added to offset PayPal fees. We'll send you an invoice. If you'd like to mail in your payment, please PM me for mailing address.

San Diego has many lodging options available depending upon your budget. We'd be happy to suggest a few. (Lodging & travel are not included)

We are really looking forward to putting this event together. This may be your one chance to learn from the pro's and have all three together at once.

If you have any further questions, please post here or drop us a PM.
Hope to see you all there.
Moki"

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-08-14 06:47 ]

P

hopefully the lodging will be near the seminar. i'm only familiar with the gaslamp district, so hopefully the locals can help us get around.

xtra large, moki.

Thanks ben and tikigap! I'll be sure to pick some up before the seminar!

can't wait!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 12:42 PM

Hey Nicktiki,

If GROG do diaper duty, you'll have to remind GROG which end is up; it's been a long time since GROG changed diapers. Seems to GROG if you put diapers on the topside, that'll keep the kid quieter, so that you don't have to listen to all that crying that babies are wont to do.

Moki, gotta send you check. GROG want to carve.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 6:26 PM

GROG has already purchased the most important thing GROG will need for this carving seminar.

Now GROG just need to find some chisels.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 6:41 PM

We're starting to fill up fast!!

If you're on the fence about coming for this, you better make a decision quick, before it's full.

It's going to be a great weekend!!

I'm in!!!

Does anyone want the half carved lesson?

aaaaa yes please!!!
i'd love to learn about carving anything... except pumpkins. wait, strike that it will be halloween, pumpkins too!!!!!

in fact how about Halloween TikiChop for a name.... :tiki:

aaron

How about this.....

The Halloween Haole HakaTiki Hodown....anyone...anyone....?

man if i could only afford the trip down there i would DEFINATELY be there. but i cannot.

so if there is ever any kind of get together in canada or near the border email or pm me cause ill come.

B

The correct hook blades to get from Warren Cutlery are the #10 as the other hooks are quite different. They work but not as well.

T

Ah! Just as I suspected! I'll be in Hawaii during that time, so everyone will have to have fun without me. Shouldn't be too hard I expect. Sorry I'm going to miss out! Have fun guys!

B

Sorry you won't be with us, but if I had the choice, I think The Islands would win out over carving any day.
I received all the wood for the lessons today. How many of you coming are "Lefties" because for you guyz I will carve the side you would not normally carve the best , the right side. Please let me know which side you want carved. Thanks. I will carve 1 per person, so I need to know who all is coming.
THANKS,Benzart

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 21, 2006 10:40 PM

GROG right-handed.

H
Heath posted on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 6:37 AM

right handed.

Right for me also.

Greg

right handed here

P

[strike]i'd like the left side carved, please.[/strike]

i'd like to carve the left side is what i meant.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-08-22 20:20 ]

I'm a lefty.

AAAWWWW....just the thing I need Benz. When you do one of those carving events around the central East coast...I'll be in, I'll start saving NOW !! have FUn you lucky guys and gals...

I'm a righty...but I'm not sure why this matters...'cause when you carve a tiki ya gots ta carve both sides...

Just carve whatever side is easier for you and I'll carve the other!

Righty!

H
Heath posted on Wed, Aug 23, 2006 1:55 PM

Almost forgot about my brother, he's left handed.

You have a brother??!? Just kidding, looking forward to seeing him again.

M
Moki posted on Wed, Aug 23, 2006 10:56 PM

We just e-mailed or PM updates to the carvers. If you didn't get one, please let me know.

There are only two spaces available. If you are interested, please contact me soon.

Aloha
M~

H

For those of you that live in San Diego, I just got back from Rockler where apparently the carving chisels are on sale. The guy that was at the register was kind of surprised, he had to check the prices because he didn't know about them being on sale. I'm going back for more, so I'll repost when I get back.

B

Which brand and set?

H

Sorry folks! It seems only certain chisels may be on sale or if you buy more than two, the rest are regular price.
So for less than $230, Imanaged to pick up 4 gouges, 1 skewed, a 6 piece set, a mini strop, and a tool wrap.
The gouges and skew are Stubai and they're from Austria. It looks like with a little fine tuning they should work pretty well, at least for what I do.
The 6 piece set ($53.99) is from Crown Tools out of England.

P

i just punch the wood and chips fly.

Wow!

I just stumbled across this thread! That's what I get for not visiting TC for a month!

You can bet that I'll be there. And I'll actually have my tools this time so I won't have to sacrifice nothin' to Pele!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 9:44 AM

Forget chisels, GROG get the CARVINATOR 2000. Bring on the wood!

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 1:06 PM

Received my little goody bag from Warren Cutlery today. Oooooh yeeeaaah! Looks like surgical precision, so long as it's not on my fingers!

Aloha...
Hey, what store is Matt talking about when he mentions the tools Bosko suggested are found at "Depot". It sure ain't Home Depot! Nobody at my location had a clue about any of the stuff. Please lemme know, 'cuz I gotta get'em quick!
Mahaloz!

M
Moki posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 9:12 PM

Well, it's official. We're all sold out. Thanks to everybody for registering so we could pull this together. We're all really excited and are looking forward to this event.

TikiLee's, yes it is the "Home Depot" Matt and Bosko are talking about. Check with the guys in the tool corral. They should be able to help you. If not, check out Rockler.com or Flexcut.com

See you soon.
M~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies