Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

M
mieko posted on Sun, Oct 29, 2006 9:50 PM

Thanks to everyone involved for this event, it was incredible.

Thanks to Matt for his great place, Moki and Ric for doing all sorts of work to pull this off, to Benzart, Bosko and Diablo for being great teachers, Mason for being so much help all the time. :)

I learned so much from all the other attendees, and got so much help, I really learned how amazing of a community this is.

I'll post up my pictures soon once I get them organized.

Thanks again to everyone it was an amazing weekend, because I got to spend it with such great people. Can't wait for the next event!

H

Well I finally got home, the train from hell was two and a half hours late...I think I froze to death just waiting for it along with all my 300 football loving homies. I had the best time, it was great meeting Benz and his lovely wife. I got to carve a small tiki and actually finished it, well kind of...The food Monica made was just great. And everyone was so nice and welcoming. I can't wait to do this again. Oh I almost forgot I also cut my finger but no infection. What a great day, thanks again everyone and lets do it again soon.

B

What can I say??
Here I am sitting in my hotel room and it's monday morning and my plane leaves in a couple hours. I Can't believe its over,,Major let-down. This will be a Most Memorable weekend for me and Sherry. The Aloha spiritwas flying high all weekend, The warm welcomes we had from everyone were just heartwarming and emotional. Everyone was so happy to see us and did their best to make us feel at home. I am tired and sore everywhere, but would go back for another day of carving if it were at all possible. Leaving San Diego will be very difficult. Right now you could very easily talk me into staying here forever, moving here, lock stock and barrel. Big Mahalos for all responsible for putting this event together, happyhappyhappy.
I have a ton of pictures to post when I get home( I only took about490 shots) so look for more soon
Until then thanks to everyone who welcomed us and made us feel just like Family

Nice. :) Looks like a blast!

Diablo... love the hat! :wink:

Anyone have any more pictures of this cannibal tiki?

Looks like a great start... would love to see how it turned out.

I spy a Utilikilt in the picture too!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-10-30 11:26 ]

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2006-10-30 12:56 ]

I can't imagine it being any more perfect than it was! Ben I respected your work before, but now fuggetaboutit! Eventhough I gave up and had to walk away I will get back to it, but man talk about intense! Thank you for flying out and taking the time to show us the way.
The same goes for Bosko and Danny, thank you! You two made it alot less frustrating to be out there carving! If we stumbled you guys were there to help fix up the flubs and get us back on track.
But "THE MAN" is definitely Mason, out there with words of encouragement! What a great kid, he was happy to be there helping out any carver that needed it, at least thats how it semed to this newbie tiki carving geek, Mason was very helpful! A million MAHALO'S to Mason!
The hosts of this the Left Coast Carving Seminar know a little sumthn sumthn on how to entertain! The Lava Flow Inn was overwhelming, what a place, if I dare say the perfect place for this event! Matt sure made me feel welcome and comfortable, thank you! Al-li thanks for the special drink you made just for me...yummmm!
Onatiki and Moki thanks for opening up your beautiful home and giving me a soft place to lay my very tired sawdusty head. You'll never know how thankful I am to all involved who got this seminar to happen!
And thanks to everyone (especially Tikimecula and VonTiki) who were so nice to lend me "the right" chisels, mallets, propane tanks and sand paper to help me get my tiki done.
Learing to carve has been something I have wanted to attempt for a long time but have just been too afraid to try it. The place, the teachers, the food, the drinks, the company.... Monkeyman is right... it IS all about the people!

Wow, where to start. The 'Oki 'Oki was so fun. I had a blast. I wont recap everything, but I would like to send out the big thank you's.
Anthony- for the use of his tent.
GROG-for the cool poster and general good nature.
Kirby-for the pendant.
TikiLee-for the grab bag of tiki bottle openers.
Cammo-for the book and cd's.
Buzzy-for the coconuts.
TikiTikiBoom-for the last minute passionfruit syrup.
Al-for tending bar. Great Mai Tai's
Dawntiki-for the rum and tiki bowling set.
PDrake-for the woodcarving and cast Moai pendant.(we'll find that damn camera)
Tikimecula-for the amazing warclub #6 a most generous and staggering gift.And for hauling the AAC blocks to the event.
To Benzarts wonderfull wife Sherry-for all your help with the food set up and serving.
Monkeyman-for being the perfect houseguest(I caught him reading Dr. Suess books to my kids early Sunday morning). And for the help with all the trash not to mention bar-tending.
Big thanks to Vontiki-for suppling half the logs-huge savior. Sorry about your camera getting crushed.
Heath-A paying attendie who helped provide, clean and carry logs, bought ice,cleaned up,hauled trash-his list goes on and on. Amazing friend-amazing person.
To the teachers;Bosko,Danny, you two kick ass! You kept it fun and informative. Fantastic job. Mason was a great help.
Benzart-What a trooper. Thanks for everything (minus torturing my dog).You really go the extra mile (literally) and I know we all loved it.
To everyone who attended-thanks for your great work and warm personalities.
Finally to 'Onatiki and Moki-Thank you sooo much for all the hard work and headaches you endured. You are truly what this whole "tiki thing" is about. To know one person so cool in a lifetime is lucky. I am proud to say that I know two.
Mahalo and cheers.
Matt

V

What an awesome weekend!!!
I certainly learned alot about chiseling that I didn't know.Thanks so much to Danny, Bosko, Maso, and Ben for the instruction. You guys are highly skilled. There were so many awesome carvings and new tikis that were born into the world last weekend it's amazing.
Rick,Matt,Monica, you guys are so cool. What a fantastic atmosphere you created and shared.You certainly made me feel welcome and the food was off the hook. Drinks too!!
It was a good time meeting and spending time with so may other tiki enthusiasts.
I'm looking forward to our next event.
See you there!!
Thanks again, what a blast!!!
-Dustin
VonTiki

P

well, first off, i found the camera. hiding in a hidy hole in my suitcase. thanks to everyone who helped me look. i'm more glad i found it so i can post my pics.

second, i wasn't that lound.

third, thanks to everyone for the great time. even though it's been said, thanks so much to matt opening his home to us and the wonderful hospitality.

it was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of you.

On 2006-10-29 09:23, hodadhank wrote:
I could have stayed all night dispite a loud, beligerant and shitfaced PDrake.

Sounds like you've never been on Shout! PDrake appears there in that state nightly...
I would have been disappointed if he was any other way than he was that night

On 2006-10-30 12:58, pdrake wrote:

i wasn't that lound.

I agree...Everyone else just doesn't know how to party!!!

Nice to meet you Drake. Thanks for not punching me when we met. That meant a lot...

I call this picture "My New Buddy PDrake"

Everybody's Buddy Buzzy Out!

ok, so when's the next one????

This was an amazing weekend.

Thank you Ric, Monica and Matt for organizing and hosting the event. Matt's place is gorgeous. The food was excellent.

DawnTiki - Thanks for giving me the courage to participate.

Danny, Bosko, Mason and Ben - Thank you for your patience and encouragement.

Lee - Thanks for the swell swag.

Perry - Thanks for the pendant. Gotta paint him sometime this week.

Thanks to all of the carvers who gave me pointers and just absolutely inspired me.

And a massive THANK YOU to GROG for lugging my tiki up six thousand stairs and getting him into the backseat of my car for me. Thank you also for sharing your portfolio with us. That was one of those little unexpected treats that made the weekend so much more special.

I'd definitely do this again (once I regain the feeling in my wrists.)

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 2:06 PM

Unfortunately, the 'Oki 'Oki makes all subsequent parties Grade "B".

That was the first place I've ever been to where you didn't know if the person behind you was carrying a razor sharp spike, a lit blow-torch or a deluxe strength Mai Tai.

Thanks to everybody,
sorry I didn't take pictures,
those tikis were freaking fab,
mahalo to Benz.

HEY, we should have got him and his wife leis! Drat! Next time!

P

photos i managed to take . . .

http://www.human2.com/perry/oki.html

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 7:51 PM

GROG knew GROG was going to enjoy this event, but GROG didn't know GROG was going to enjoy it THIS much!!!

Thanks Matt for being such a great host. AWESOME place!
Thanks Moki and Ric for letting GROG and Kirby crash at your amazing pad. It was good company with ya'll along with
Dawn, Greg and Polynesiac.
Great meeting you Benz and Sherry. You are are truly inspiring.
Diablo, Bosko and Mason, you guys did a great job. Always a pleasure seeing you. GROG learned alot from all of the teachers as well as from my fellow carvers.
And speaking of fellow carvers, GROG can't believe you guys-----there was not a single bad tiki carving there. GROG not sure if that's a testament to everybody's skill, or the teachers, but GROG definitely believes itwas abig dose of both.
Thanks Pdrake for the mug and Cammo for the book, and Tiki Lee for the bottle openers.
GROG at work so GROG have to get off the computer, so thanks to everybody who made this such a great event.

AWESOME!! I had a great time there with everyone. What a great bunch of carvers we had, as well as our greats hosts and fellow teachers. Not namimg names, but there were some naughty ones in attendance. .............MASON ROCKS!!!!!! MVP big Al ...Al'i !!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-10-30 22:28 ]

M
Moki posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 9:34 PM

We'd like to thank everybody who came to the Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki. We had a great time and hope you all did too.

Benz, Diablo, Bosko & Mason....you guys rock!!!

And Sherry. Thanks for all the help in the kitchen and making sure there were no "nutz" in the desert :wink:

Matt, 'Ona & Heath made countless trips up and down those steps over the last week. Feel the burn boys....feel the burn.

I can't believe it's over already. Going back to work today sucked!! I missed listening to the sounds of mallets hitting the chisels.

I can't to see more pictures and I really want to see everybody post their tiki's. You should all be very proud. They all looked great!!

Here are a few pictures.....
Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki

Just wanted to post a pic of the war club Tikimecula gave me at the 'Oki 'Oki. Thanks again!

Yesterday was chilly and dark on Mission Beach as if Benz and Sherry took the sun back to the Sunshine State with them. What a beautiful weekend we all had!

Thanks for all the great photos, guys and gals and one more glimpse of paradise.

This afternoon I begin to husk tiki # 2 ... I wonder how many of my neighbors will look out the window trying to spot the woodpecker!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 9:15 AM

I HAD A GREAT TIME TOO..It was a dream come true to spend some quality carvin time with benz.
Diablo and bosko's talent,amaze me and I appreciate all the tips.
Reese, your the man , you have a great pad and your an awesome host.Hopfuly we can hang again soon...
Moki and Ona, thanks for lettin us crash at your pad.You guys did an awsome job with everything..
I also had a great time hangin with all the fellow carvers,besides GROG. After putting up with Grog's nightmarish snoring and white nuckle driving, I will have to take a short stint in a mental clinic, then hopfuly I can get back to carving...
Fun times had buy all for sure...kirby

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 9:19 AM

Kirbs, you needed the mental clinic long before this event.

S

Hey gang,

What an amazing time! As an old time TCer, I gotta say that this was my favorite event. There was so much creativity and positive energy flowing throughout the weekend and everyone was so cool.

Many mahalos to Matt and his family for opening up their Hale to everyone. Your hut rocks! Also thanks to Moki and Ric for organizing and to all the hosts for the ono food and grog. Once again, Al's magic mixology did not disappoint.

It was an honor to finally meet Benzart and his lovely wife after a long year exchanging good wishes. You are even more gracious in person and I feel lucky that I had the chance to learn from you.
It was also great to learn from the other masters, Tiki Diablo, Bosko and his son, Mason who has more carving knowledge now than I could ever dream of. The kid is strong too! Mahalo for lugging my Tiki up those stairs -- I think you saved me a few more good years by doing so. :)

I was lucky enough to win the raffle for the Flexcut chisels and I promise to put them to good use -- on the wood and not my hand next time. Thanks, Tiki-Kate, Mieko and Benzart for cleaning me up after slicing my finger. Good thing Tiki-Kate knows her first aid.

I enjoyed carving with you all and hope we meet again sometime. Here are few pix I took.

Benzart schools Tiki Diablo

Inside the Lava Flow Lounge

Tina checks my work in progress

Benzart certified!

B

Well, I'm finally awake a little bit after a Roaring weekend in San Diego. Again, Thanks to All who were there and who helped make this the best weekend ever! Once again when the chisels and knives came out, it was All Work and everyone really got down to business. I could not believe the excellent "first" tikis from all the folks who had never carved before, what a Tremendous effort by everyone. I was totally exausted!
Here are some of the pictures that Sherry and I took at the event, too many to post here so in a Shutterfly album.

Those pictures really capture the essence of the event - the people, great atmosphere, the creativity and the energy. I felt like I was there all over again. Great photos, Sherry!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 1:04 PM

"How I Felt after 'Oki 'Oki"

Pumpkin & Hook Knife

Hey Benz,
I am ready for the carving. My hook knife has arrived.

Better late than never. You can use it to hack off your gangrenous finger.

Wow looks like a great time!
Wish we could have made it to the Bali Hai Friday night.

S

such a good time! the best! everyone was RIPPING STYLE! lets do it again! here the troublesome little fella is! i still love him though! thanks everyone once again!

S

check this sucka out! happy halloween

brings back fond memories of coontiki. compliments to the "students"...a lot of pretty fine
tikis there.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 6:53 PM

Looking through all the pictures is so much fun! Here are mine:

http://picasaweb.google.com/miekos/LeftCoastOkiOkiByMieko

Thanks again to everyone, I'd love to do another carving get together soon!

S

I am so incredibly, ridiculously, insanely, monumentally jealous of all you lucky so-and-sos that got to go to the LC 'oki 'oki. Hopefully Danny, Bosko and Ben put some a dat mojo into the chisels I lent Grog. Y'all did beeeeutiful work!!!

And double damn! I also missed a ride in Hodad's Potting Shed!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

C

Thanks everyone for an amazing weekend. There is really nothing else I've ever been too that could compare to 25 people all getting along and choppin wood together.

Thanks to the host Matt, to the carving teachers Diablo, Bosko and son, and Benzart...and to everyone. Had a great time and want to know where to send my money to reserve my spot for next time!! It was great to see 25 different tikis all take shape at the same time. Now it's time to go order some new tools!!! woooohoooooooooo

-clys

On 2006-10-31 22:51, squid wrote:
...And double damn! I also missed a ride in Hodad's Potting Shed!!!!

http://www.netwalk.com/~truegger/ftrh/hey-bud.au

Mahalo all for a great time! 2 days of carvin' with Benzart, diablo and bosko (with mason keeping up with our corny jokes and giving carving advice) at Matts beautiful tiered abode...with Moki/matt's great cooking...doesn't get much better than that. We're doing ait agian this weekend, right? :)

and matt...that anamatronic chimp-in-a-barrel REALLY freaked me out the first time I walked by it.

THanks everyone for posting pictures!

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-11-02 09:44 ]

M

Unfortunately I didnt finish mine during the event like some other speed carvers. This is what it looks like so far.

I will finish it this weekend.
I had the BEST time creating with other artisans.

I would do it every month !!!!

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-11-01 21:04 ]

MR

That looks great. Always one of my favorite designs.

matt , thanks for the hospitality . . . we both had a great time . call me sometime and come see what I've done with th ehouse the last few years , I think you'll be inpressed !

everyone else , it was great meeting new friends and tiki nuts . I had a blast and learned a LOT . . .

=mike=

There it is! Monkeyman... that's some hot stuff right there. Great job. Love that tiki.

here's how mine turned out

Okay, I'm seriously bummed and it's totally my fault. I did a cursory review of new posts on the thread after it was sold out. Sour grapes and all, so I didn't notice that there were a few cancellations, etc.

I would have loved to participate in this event. Next time, I'm signing in a flash, put myself on a waiting list, or just show up and beg, beg, beg!

Although, I'm completely and utterly jealous, I'm glad everyone had a great time.

M

we dont need an event to do this..

We just need someones backyard...

I am happy to impart what little I know about carving to anyone who wants to spend the day carving wiith me.

MM this is true...

I'm in....

B

Yeah, Me too, Com on over to my back yard and lets get it on.

S

lets go go go!

M

how about a carving day where 3 people share a single log.

After it gets sketched each team starts hacking away...

This way we actually might be able to get a tiki done in one day.

We then play rock paper scissors to see who takes it home.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies