Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies

Some Spruce would be great... thanks!

sorry all for the ot, just playin, guess grog and i are getting too excited about chopping wood :D. i like GROG....

anyway, seriously i would love to try some AAC. ever since i read akua's post i've been dieing to try it, i promise all i want to do with it is carve moai....

thanx,
the other aaron

You got it TikiKirby... a block for you. Grog want AAC block?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 6:23 PM

Sure. We'll have "block" party!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 6:25 PM

Do you carve AAC with the same carving tools? And if so, does the AAC dull them quickly?

Hey Dave!

If you have any more blocks left, I'll take one. Gotta try it all, ya know!?

Tanks, Brah!

Grog,

I used a cheap set of flat chisels I got at Harbor Freight.. they do dull up quick. Also used a hand saw to do rough cuts, and some wood files and rasps. The stuff is really soft to get through, although pretty dusty.

Lee... I think I still have enough. Just counted, and I've got like 13 blocks to part with.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 9:29 PM

A butter knife, and a cheese grater is all you need...

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 9:49 PM

Just went to the AAC (also known as ACC, natch) International Marketing Products Association website.

http://www.aacpa.org

I still don't like the name AAC. I suggested the trade name "Ace Rock" to the president of the AACPA, veddy snazzy. He's getting back to me on it.

Curiously, it was invented in Europe in 1923, but of couse everybody knows that.

Hey, is this the same stuff they are carving with in Bali? Seems like. Cause they can get huge chunks of it, at least 4' by 2'.

And, does this stuff like emery cloth as a finisher?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 10:45 PM

How big are the blocks, and why are getting rid 'em Davez?

Emery cloth would probably work... I used an 80 and a150 grit sandpaper to finish the ones I've done.

They are 12" x 24" x 81/2". Aaron gave me one last year, and I enjoyed carving a Moai with it. Then I was in Phoenix, 75 miles from a manufacturer, so I picked up a pallet of 16.

Since then my carving time has been cut back (Little League, work, toddlers, teenagers, family, etc)... and so they sit in my garage. I still have like 15 palm logs staring at me from the side of the house. I feel like by the time I catch up on the wood carving, they will have sat in my garage for 3 years... and its already crowded in there.

So then I thought...."maybe someone at the carving seminar will want one..??>>"

H
Heath posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 7:05 AM

Hey Davez, If you still have any blocks available, I'll take one. It can't be any harder to carve than queen palm, can it?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 9:25 AM

How weather resistent is this stuff? Once you carve it can it be left outside in the yard, or does it need to be inside out of the weather.

GROG would love to give a block to Crazy Al and see what the "insane one" would do with it.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 6:33 AM

Gee, GROG, everybody knows this but I guess I'll have to slog through the mundane details to keep you level with the group.

Listen up, cause I ain't chewin this cabbage twice -

AAC, or "Ace Rock" was designed in northern Europe as the world's most perfect building material almost 80 years ago. Here in the good old US of A it's relatively unknown, though, despite a long list of safety and environmental features that sound like a contractor's dream come true.

It doesn't burn. It doesn't emit toxing either in production or when exposed to burning substances near it. It's weight is a fraction of regular concrete's, an experienced four-man team and a single crane operator can install Ace Rock panels at a rate of four to six minutes per panel.

Your question about exposure to the elements is an interesting one. Let me tackle it this way; first, Florida is home to AERCON Industries;

They specialice in Ace Rock for the exact reason you are asking about; Ace doesn't decay when exposed to moist atmospheric conditions. That a big plus in our orange growing sister state to the south!

Florida is also home to a new subdivision entirely composed of Ace Rock, called the Village (hopefully no relation to the 60's cult spy show "The Prisoner") It's billed as one of the quietest condo developments on Earth, because of Ace rock's famed audio blocking quality. A great place to have your next Luau!

Again, I'll post the Ace Rock Marketing site Q&A page;

http://www.aacpa.org/faq/index.htm

Hope this answers your question! And don't ever be scared to ask more!

"I must be a fool because I keep asking questions"

• Socrates
G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 9:55 AM
C

Exactly. I'm talking to the president of the AACPA right now about their lack of snappy graphics and that dreadful product name. He's a bit stodgy but open to ideas; a lot of clams are on the line and he knows it.

How about this jingle - it can be sung by a woman dressed in nothing but a carved AAC bikini, to the tune of 'Chicken of the Sea' -

"What's the best concrete of today?
Try Ace Rock, it's here to stay!"

AAC block is a unique building material mainly because of its insulating qualities. It is filled with small air bubbles (Aerated) much like insulation. It is extruded in the factory, cut into blocks and baked in an oven (Autoclave). Hence the name, Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC). As a building material it is stacked and mortared together like a thick wall (just like CMU blocks) then they use some type of plaster or stucco to seal it up. As far as I know it is not sold anywhere West of the E-Crete Arizona factory because it does not meet our building codes (anything built from it would probably not hold up well during an earthquake).

It is typically sealed up during construction and does not hold up well to weather in its "natural" state. It will suck up water like a sponge and become brittle after awhile if left in the sun and rain untreated. I've always applied concrete sealer after the carving was done.

The AAC an is interesting material and fun to carve. The little bubbles throughout give it a neat "corally" look after it's carved & sanded. I would snap up whatever blocks Dave brings because you will likely never see it again unless you decide to go to E-Crete in Casa Grande, AZ which is the closest place you will find it. Dave can tell you all about it.

That being said, I'd sideline the whole AAC thing for now because you will soon be in the presence of Master WOOD Carvers, some teaching, others like Monkeyman, attending (speaking to the newer guys here). You will likely never get to carve with these guys again so make sure and soak up every bit of carving knowledge you can while you have the chance! Listen hard, carve hard, party afterwards!

Unfortunately I won't be there. When I finally got serious about it I found out that the whole gig was sold out already. But I dig hanging with the local carvers so I'm sure we will all get to hook up and carve sometime down the road.

Cheers and have fun,

A-A

I agree with Aaron's Akua. I believe there is a whole thread elsewhere on the ACC stuff. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
I'd also like to remind everyone attending to make sure we've got your t-shirt sizes. The artwork is done and will be getting graphics attached this week.
Cheers.

im a XXXL

You wish.

my new carvers mallet, draw shave, hook knife, and assortment WIDE gouges arrived on Friday. Had a chance to try it all out.

Draw shaves are RAD!

I can never have too many tools.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 6:17 PM

GROG only have one tool, but it's not used for carving.

H

:lol:

M
Moki posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 10:03 PM

Hey Guys and Girls.....
Just sent out an update via e-mail and/or PM. If you did not get it, please let me know.
Aloha,
Moki

V

Hey Ben, I'm a righty,I have'nt checked the post in a while.
If there's still some of that AAC stuff around, I'd like one too, please.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 12:35 PM

It just occurred to GROG that GROG hasn't booked a place to saw logs after carving wood all day. Where's everybody staying? And Moki, and you other San Diegans, can ya'll suggest some good places close by?

H

Grog, try Log ville Inn..

P

yeah, grog like log.

GROG I'm sending you a pm.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 6:41 PM

Thank you Matt Reese for the info about a Mattress.

D

Grog have you checked out http://www.streetmattress.com/sm.php?streetmasta=73&browse_by=location&s_b=6 for a possible place to stay?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2006-09-27 19:07 ]

TL

Aloha!

So who all is going to be at the seminar? I've heard tell of a "list", but never received that e-mail. Any Coon-Tiki alumni besides Von, Davez & I? I'll miss ya Aaron!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 1:01 PM

I finally got some places for all you freeloaders to stay at, these hotels are really close to R&M's, and are right beside the 805/Clairemont Mesa exit.

Very nice and quiet, with a big south seas fountain in the courtyard;

Califoirnia Suites Hotel
5415 Clairemont Mesa Bvd.
800 562 2217

Not as nice but as the little birdie says, cheep cheep cheep;

Best Western Golden Triangle Inn
5550 Clairemont Mesa Bvd.
858 560 4551 or call the Best Western 800 #.

Also, for breakfast you gotta go to our;

Original Pancake House
3906 Convoy St. San Diego

which is really close, and even though it's a chain restaurant, it's got amazing pancakes. Try the Dutch Baby, or their big crispy bacon, or the light German potato pancakes. Their coffee is smoooooth.

MR

These hotels are close to R&M's that's true. The seminar is about a 15 minute drive from there. Something to consider. Cammo, thank you for taking the time to put a list together.
The pancakes are definitely good.
Cheers.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 8:55 PM

Oops. I just got the exact location info (well, I will soon) and there are definately closer hotels. Thanks Matto.

MR

No problem.

has anybody dropped out and need a fill in??? I'm right outside san diego so if somebody is a late scratch, I can jump it on short notice...my own fault for waiting so long but if anybody craps out let me know!!!!

-day late, dolla short.

M
Moki posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 7:23 PM

Clysdalle-check your PM's

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 8:21 PM

Clysdalle not allowed to use hook knife if Clysdalle come to carving seminar.

On 2006-10-11 20:21, GROG wrote:
Clysdalle not allowed to use hook knife if Clysdalle come to carving seminar.

come on....I dont spray blood far!!! I'll wear a sneeze guard!!

It's official....i'm in......woooohooooo......I'll be giving a saftey lecture from the ER on Saturday after Benz finishes up his demo...

Can't wait to see you all there!!

B

Now Now, We'll have None of that. No bleeding allowed.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 10:24 PM

Speaking of hook-knives and bleeding, GROG doesn't have a hook-knife, does GROG need to contact Benzart about getting one, or will Benz have some available for purchase at said event?

On 2006-10-16 22:24, GROG wrote:
Speaking of hook-knives and bleeding, GROG doesn't have a hook-knife, does GROG need to contact Benzart about getting one, or will Benz have some available for purchase at said event?

GROG can go to http://www.warrencutlery.com and order "Part CWH-3LJ - CWH-3LJ Lock Jaw Handle" and "Part 10-B - Detail carving blades ( Sold in packages of 3.)"
About $20 bucks total.

B

BenZart Does have a few, as in 3 new ones and a few used ones for sale at the seminar.,

C

Here's a checklist, does this sound right?

• Warren Cutlery Hook Knife with 10-B blades

• set of chisels, 1" flat at least

• mallet or hammer

• Carving stand of some kind

• Carpenters pencil or crayon

• Emery cloth, sandpaper, or sharpening stone (what grade paper is best, not too fine but not too rough either?)

• sharp hatchet

• hacksaw or other fine-tooth saw (suggestions?)

• other options; a draw knife, a fine detail carving set

and

• Sun hat
  • Leather gloves (to cut down on the band-aid requests)
  • bucks for a Tiki Diablo shirt

Also, double checking, is the exact name for this event, the one that will be on the shirts; "Left Coast Tiki 'Oki 'Oki" ?

• Old joke. How do you carve an elephant? Easy, just get a big block of wood and hack off everything that isn't an elephant. *

Well, I'd say,

Needed:

• Warren Cutlery Hook Knife with 10-B blades
  • set of chisels
  • mallet
  • Carving stand of any kind
  • Carpenters pencil
  • Sun hat

Probably not needed (but okay to bring if you've got 'em):

• sandpaper, or sharpening stone
  • gloves

Definitely needed:

• bucks for a Tiki Diablo shirt

The name of the event is "Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki". It will be on the shirts on a pocket logo and on the back print with the tiki artwork. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 322 replies