Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Leaky Tiki - unopened Suffering Bastard - what to do?

Pages: 1 11 replies

T
ttsf posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 9:52 AM

I was lucky enough to find an unopened bottle of Trader Vic's Mai Tai Rum. Much to my dismay, by the time I got it home the rum had leaked around the cork and stained the paper seal. My question is...do I go ahead and crack the seal or just leave alone. I doubt the rum would be very potent or even drinkable with the loose cork. Thanks for looking and any tiki-wise advice. Tim

N

Read the bottom paragraph on the Don Q Eldorado Rum, I'd say the same applies for you, bottoms up! http://www.beachbumberry.com/bumonrum/

T
ttsf posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 11:07 AM

Thanks for the link nitropic. What a quote, "Thar's gold in them thar gods!" :tiki: = :drink:

So, inquiring minds want to know! What does the rum taste like? Any good still? Made a Mai Tai with it yet? Seems only appropriate for "Mai Tai Rum".

Chris

R

Recently I've been collecting all sorts of decanters (as I've got almost all the mugs I could want, need or display :lol:) and sometimes I am able to acquire ones that are still full. Personally I don't hesitate in drinking the contents! :wink: (Manhattans in Paradise* with 45 year old Bourbon is ethereal) I have found though that it can be a good idea to immediately decanter it into another vessel as the old corks can be affected by the sudden introduction of oxygen after 30 years and put off some nasty flavors. Also it is a good idea to replace the corks before you use them again as they rarely are any good after the normal 30+ years that most 60-70's decanters are (another excuse to just go ahead and drink the contents), and replacement corks are easy to get at any hobby store.

Manhattan in Paradise*
2 oz Bourbon
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
splash each of:
Maraschino Cherry Juice
Grenadine
Fresh Lime Juice
Triple Sec
& a dash of Orange Bitters
Shake with ice and serve in a
Martini glass with lime wedge
and cherry garnish

On 2006-09-07 01:02, Rattiki wrote:

Manhattan in Paradise*
2 oz Bourbon
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
splash each of:
Maraschino Cherry Juice
Grenadine
Fresh Lime Juice
Triple Sec
& a dash of Orange Bitters
Shake with ice and serve in a
Martini glass with lime wedge
and cherry garnish

That sounds pretty dang tasty, although I'd likely use either cointreau or grand marnier (possibly curacao) in place of the triple sec. Hmmm... Maybe a splash of maraschino liquer too...

But thanks for the recipe! It's definitely going to be tried soon.

Chris

T
ttsf posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 8:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will follow Rattiki's advice and recant the rum this weekend. Of course, I'll try it and let you know how it taste.

R

On 2006-09-07 22:34, Kona Chris wrote:

That sounds pretty dang tasty, although I'd likely use either cointreau or grand marnier (possibly curacao) in place of the triple sec. Hmmm... Maybe a splash of maraschino liquer too...

The way I go through triple sec I can hardly afford foreign, designer orange liquors :wink: On the other hand I read up on the maraschino liquer and it sounds interesting. Where could I get my paws on sum of dat? :D

On 2006-09-11 02:08, Rattiki wrote:

On 2006-09-07 22:34, Kona Chris wrote:

The way I go through triple sec I can hardly afford foreign, designer orange liquors :wink: On the other hand I read up on the maraschino liquer and it sounds interesting. Where could I get my paws on sum of dat? :D

Well, to be fair, my bottle of Curacao is Bols, and it cost $9.99, so that should hardly break your bank :) The Maraschino can be hard to come by, but I've now found it at a couple different places in Tucson. I lucked out and got a bottle of the Maraska for $19.99 at a store I'd never been in before. Everyplace else was at least $6 higher. It definitely has an interesting flavor.

Chris

R

On 2006-09-12 02:56, Kona Chris wrote:
Well, to be fair, my bottle of Curacao is Bols, and it cost $9.99, so that should hardly break your bank :)

Well from my 4 years bar & restaurant experience in Amsterdam, the Netherlands (and a month in Curacao) taught me that Bols is just a Dutch generic bar mixer (like our Mr Boston's) and Curacao just is the island in the Nederland ABCs that they blame the oranje drank on :lol: En voor me, Ik vind de local Albertson's house brand @ $4.95 a bottle LEKER MON! :wink: :P

T
ttsf posted on Tue, Sep 12, 2006 8:29 PM

Hello all. Sorry for the delay but I was a bit embarrassed to tell what happened...the cork broke! I guess it wasn't as loose as I thought. I haven't tried to remove the cork yet but it shouldn't be too hard with a corkscrew. I can tell you the rum smells great. Thanks again. Tim

Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur in Vancouver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maraschino Liqueur isn't stocked by the BCLDB in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, however I recently discovered it in an independent liquor store.

Liquor Depot at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond, B.C. carries it. Up until now I have had to rely on friends to bring me bottles from Toronto.

Enjoy!

Max

Pages: 1 11 replies