Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Squid's Sqorpion Squll Due Out Mid-September from Tiki Farm!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 202 replies

S
squid posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 9:17 PM

Did I mention the new Grog mug, just right for a medium-rare beef mai-tai?

You bastard!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 11:58 PM

On 2006-11-16 20:32, nitropic wrote:
who would of thought GROG's mug designing skills surpass
his nack for humor!

Mug designs? These WERE supposed to be humor!

Mug wars! Look what Tiki Central has been reduced to.

S
squid posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 8:26 AM

Mug wars indeed! You have crossed the line, Groggyboy. I suggest you bring that Kirby club with you to TikiShark's art show. We meet out back at 7:00 PM. I will be wielding a rubber chicken so be forewarned! Battle to the death. Kirby can poke the loser with a stick. He too shall have vengeance!

D

I give Grog 2-1 odds, sorry Squid, but in a fight to the death hair pulling is allowed and he has you beat there alone. Now if you were to bring that bike chain you had the the Hut I go even money.

My money's on Dave! He's smarter and definetely in better shape! Hey Dave! Just tackle GROG while he's peeing on my truck! MUG WARZ!

S
squid posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 9:31 AM

See you fool Groggy! LLT got da Squid's back. You gonna be one big heap o' Neanderthal protoplasm!

Has dibroc lost faith in the mighty cephalapod? I am multi-limbed and can overtake any mere cave dweller. You shall be in awe of my super powers and beg forgiveness!!!!

Squid slippery.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 4:10 PM

GROG fight dirty!!!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 4:11 PM

GROG fight dirty!!!

On 2006-11-16 19:37, GROG wrote:
GROG design a "Squid Mug". GROG figured Crazy Al would be the best person to sculpt it.

...and blessed by Reverend Bamboo Ben!

B

I'm sorry to interrupt the mug war, but I've just come across Squid's skull mug for the first time and wanted to comment. Nice design! It's almost Mexican Dia De Los Muertos style, which is also very cool.

:lol: Now, you boys get back to fighting. :lol:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 2:29 PM

Yep, Squid's got sqills.

CA

i still cain't believe Squid snagged my great skull mug idea!! i think Grog sent covert op. flees from bag to see what's up in the Bone Zone.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 4:14 PM

Yes, that Squid guy is evil, stealing your skull mug idea. Almost makes you want to sneak in his house and steal one of his SHAG sculpts. Welcome to the Mug Wars, Crazy Al. Now, if we can only get Munktiki involved, maybe together all three of us can conquer the evil tyranny of Senor Calamari.

Aloha, Squid that Squll Mug is AWESOME! Can't wait to get that in my hands!

The wahine and I really dig that Krypto incense burner too! We spent a couple hours last night as Furons killing hippies and KGB agents...she claims she actually had a mild "photosensitive epileptic seizure", but I just think she was just frustrated because I was a better saucer pilot than her. :)

Anyway....killer job on those squlpts!!

S

Thanks, Aloha John!

MUG WARS! VIVA SENOR CALAMARI! MUERTE EL GROG!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 2:01 AM

Judging by your poster, it looks like it's called "mug wars" either because it has photos of our ugly mugs, or because we were mugging for the camera when the photos were taken.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 2:03 AM

'Yo Squid, post a photo of a squlpt, so we can get your thread back on-topic.

S

On 2006-11-18 13:35, Tikidav wrote:
I'm sorry to interrupt the mug war, but I've just come across Squid's skull mug for the first time and wanted to comment. Nice design! It's almost Mexican Dia De Los Muertos style, which is also very cool.

:lol: Now, you boys get back to fighting. :lol:

Yup, Tikidav got da squid's back, too. And he's got mad sqills too! So much so that I'm going to derail my own thread!

http://members.aol.com/kelea98/dave/

S

Ok Groggy....here's a squlpt pic. Actually the rough concept scribble for the follow-up mug.
If you didn't see the sculpt at The Tiki Mag/Tonga Hut show.....well...you ain't gonna see it til it's ready to roll out in Feb-March '07. But this should give you an idea anyway.

[ Edited by: squid 2006-11-19 11:01 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 11:30 AM

Wow, the drawing looks JUST like the sculpt you had at the Tonga Hut, how do you do that?

D

the squlls are killer. hmm a covered mug, a handled mug, only thing missing is the squid squll bowl. (ok was not my idea but it needed to be tossed out)

He sculpted it and then drew a study/still life of the finished sculpt! kinda like the reverse-engineering of UFO crafts!

W
Wolli posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 3:01 PM

On 2006-11-19 10:59, squid wrote:

[ Edited by: squid 2006-11-19 11:01 ]

UNBELIEVABLE !!!
This mug rocks. Hope you can show us a shape soon.

S

Sorry Groggyboy, you didn't make the agreed upon match time which constitutes a forfeit. I am now champion of Mug Warz!!!! Can you say "LOSER"? Here, let me say it for you...."LOSER!!!!"

If you wish to challenge me again, I would suggest a bout at The Tonga Hut. Bring it on. Let's see what cavepunk's got!

S

On 2006-11-19 15:01, Wolli wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE !!!
This mug rocks. Hope you can show us a shape soon.

Hey Wolli!
There were some modifications made from the sketches but it's mostly as drawn. Can't show til the release. It's in the Tiki Farm top-secret underground development lab. Sorry.

Wolli rocks! Oberhausen rocks! Star Club rocks!

A bit of ancient history from progarchives.com (some info is inaccurate but close enough)

MIRAGE (EN) biography
MIRAGE (not to be confused with a French band MIRAGE) was put together in 1994 by CAMEL members Andy Ward and Peter Bardens, and by CARAVAN’s Dave Sinclair, Pye Hastings and brother Jimmy Hastings; session guitarist Steve Adams and bassist Rick Biddulph, a former roadie for HATFIELD AND THE NORTH, completed the line-up. No studio album were ever released by the band but a short tour of the UK and Holland resulted in a first live CD, recorded at the Manchester Apollo Theatre in 1994. Later, Barde...MIRAGE (not to be confused with a French band MIRAGE) was put together in 1994 by CAMEL members Andy Ward and Peter Bardens, and by CARAVAN’s Dave Sinclair, Pye Hastings and brother Jimmy Hastings; session guitarist Steve Adams and bassist Rick Biddulph, completed the line-up. No studio album were ever released by the band but a short tour of the UK and Holland resulted in a first live CD, recorded at the Manchester Apollo Theatre in 1994.
Later, Bardens and Adams reformed the band with drummer Dave Cohen and bassist/vocalist Desha Dunnahoe and renamed the band PETE BARDEN’S MIRAGE. Under their new name, they recorded a second live album in 1996, this time at the Star Club in Oberhausen, Germany. Another tour was planned but for reasons unknown, Bardens left the band, the tour was cancelled and the remaining three musicians continued for a while under the name of HUSH.

It's been twelve years now Squid, can you let us know what Pete Bardens unknown reasons for the leaving the band were? This cold case needs to be closed.

T

"'Yo Squid, post a photo of a squlpt, so we can get your thread back on-topic.-Grog"
Why doesn't this sound like its spoken from Grog?

Squid, do you use a solid block of wax when you start your first sculpt and how many mold pieces is it going to take to do the skull three.

S

On 2006-11-20 06:55, Bora Boris wrote:
It's been twelve years now Squid, can you let us know what Pete Bardens unknown reasons for the leaving the band were? This cold case needs to be closed.

So you're a secret prog fan? OK, actually we left Pete. Although he was a very sweet guy, his playing, attention span and general attitude were in a downward spiral. He was also plagued with finacial problems which I'm sure contributed to all this. He may have been in the early stages of cancer as well. It was very difficult to back a guy who was generally losing it in the performance department and try to keep forging ahead with no new material, etc. Long sad story. We all miss him terribly.

I'm sorry to hear that's how it ended. That's too bad.

Case Closed.

On a more upbeat note do you have any pictures of the glazed and finished Destroy All Humans 2 incense burner?

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 1:15 PM

On 2006-11-20 07:50, teaKEY wrote:
"'Yo Squid, post a photo of a squlpt, so we can get your thread back on-topic.-Grog"
Why doesn't this sound like its spoken from Grog?

Squid, do you use a solid block of wax when you start your first sculpt and how many mold pieces is it going to take to do the skull three.

Grog's gone multi-syllabic! Must be all that deep TC reading and stuff.

Here's a link to a pdf of the general sculpting process. This should give you a good idea of how it goes from clay to wax to production molds.
http://squidart.com/howto150.pdf

The stacked skulls will take a 4-piece mold, 1 front. 2 sides, 1 bottom. I always sculpt towards keeping production to as few mold pieces as possible.

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 1:18 PM

On 2006-11-20 12:35, Bora Boris wrote:
On a more upbeat note do you have any pictures of the glazed and finished Destroy All Humans 2 incense burner?

Here's the painted prototype:

Paint by Tim Gore.
Crappy photography by squid.

[ Edited by: squid 2006-11-20 13:23 ]

B

Hey Squid- Your DAH incense burner is rad. Did your crappy photographer take any close ups of the alien? :) I'd sure like to see some.

PS Thanks for posting my website url on your thread (and you too GROG). I've gotten a plethora of hits since then. You did mention to everyone that I paid you guys each a quarter for doing so...right?

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 8:04 PM

Man, you artist types sure are demanding for a freakin quarter! What? You think I'm hangin' out at my computer all day lounging on TC? I got mortgages to pay, kids to feed, cavemen to pummel. Here's yer danged closeup. Sheeesh, with all these quarters maybe I'll be able to pay someone else to do crappy photography for me some day.

Kindest Regards and stuff,

squid

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 11:28 PM

Hey Squidster,

If you shaved your head and took off your glasses, that's pretty much a self-portrait.

Actually Ernie, upon closer examination,it appears to be a GROG portrait! :D :D

S

You know, fair gentlemen, we must return this oft derailed thread to a more focused exchange of common pleasantries and deep discussion of all things artsy AND fartsy. I fear that the lowbrow shenanigans and tawdry goings-on here may soil the once great thread that was "New Squid Squll Mug Sculpt Pix"(or whatever the hell it was called), a fine institution of high repute and impeccable demeanor. Dare I say that this particularly vulgar verbal exchange might spiral into the vortex of (gasp)"what is tiki and what is un-tiki"? Or worse yet: Gratuitous "bumping" for the sake of shameless promotion and commercial gain?

LLT, I insist you apologize to Grog.
Now Groggy, repeat after me, The rain in Spain...

B

Thanks for honoring my request for a close up shot of the Alien, Squid. It's a fine piece. I owe you another quarter.

Sorry GROG... :(
Now pay me that money you owe me for the paddle!
Now with that out of the way...Saw your PDF of how to make a mug! The java in the one panel is hilarious!And nooooow......Back on Topic!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 11:51 PM

No sculpt pics in a loooooooooooooooooooong time.

Not sculpting anymore, or Holdin' won't let you post any pics because everything is "Top Secret"?
Damn you Holden!

S

Well Mr. Grog, We've got one glaze sample done but not quite happy with it. No pics though.

In the "old days" it was usually 3 months from the date I completed a sculpt to when we actually had a sample. Things have improved drastically. I would guess we'll have this puppy hammered out within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for asking! Back to your cave!

T

Why is it three month. Television is the same way, by the time you see it, its been over for months.

Ola Senor Calamar!

I saw the Triple Stacked Skull Mug tonight at Mugoomba and I also saw the Lidded Skull in the fish tank bar, both were awesome and I look forward to adding them to my collection but can you tell us what’s up next?

S
squid posted on Sun, Dec 31, 2006 4:40 PM

Hey Boris! Glad you like them! I think Holden will be unleashing some sneak peaks of those soon for the masses right here on this thread.
As far as what's next.....I have no bloody idea! Still have a decanter and shot set to do but must get through a few other Tiki Farm double-naught secret assignments first.

Hey Double 00 Squid, Nice Skulls!!! some of yur best matey but Damn wow at the Squid & Little lost tiki Mugs!!!
Incredible!

On 2006-12-31 16:40, squid wrote:
but must get through a few other Tiki Farm double-naught secret assignments first.

Hmmm.

Is one of em' a toilet mug??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 202 replies