Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

If you are ever in Sacramento

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

We are in Elk Grove, 20 minutes north of Lodhi, Wendy

Since we have two boards discussing basically the same topic, I am going to re-post my message here.

The only other question I think hasn't been answered was from Dr TikiMojo regarding being able to set up somewhere to sell. moondog, is this an option at Bo's?

Here's my earlier post from Tiki Events-California:

"Is it too early to take a roll call for next Sundays' event at Bo's and onward?

I will be there with two other people, my buddy (from Reno) and my designated driver (my wife Ami).

My buddy has never been to Bo's, so I would like for him to have a look around. I have been, but if Bo is selling some of his vintage items, I would like a chance to purchase some of them, however, if the number exceeds what Bo requested, I can sit out and wait until another time so others have the chance to look around.

moondog, is this still a go for next Sunday to meet at Bo's at 1:00"?

See all ya all,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2006-12-04 07:17 ]

T

Greetings from Sactown!
Just a few pics of my Polynesian Pop Pad (not an Eichler, but a Streng). Looking for a cool tiki fountain for my atrium. Hit me up if you know of one for sale. Thanks. Tim

Very delightfully retro....love the furniture and artwork. :tiki:

Dig!
Welcome to TC.

That looks like right out of a movie set or magazine cover. Good taste and welcome!

Tiki Tim,

Thanks for the snaps and congrats on your pad. How old is your home? The motif seems to fit very well with the design. Always glad to see another "local" strutin' their stuff. Welcome aboard!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and always am)

S

so did anyone take any photos of bo's stuff? lemme know thanks

wow...what a very cool vibe...and done so tastefully!!!

Sacramento very well represented.

We love the way you have decorated your home. Come for a visit when you have the chance, Wendy and Dan

Hello to all the tiki gods/goddesses in the Central Valley!
I'm originally from Sacramento and relocated to Prague, Czech Republic about 7 years ago. There I got REALLY into tiki when a friend of mine who had a tiki bar in his basement invited me into the home tropical paradise. It blew my mind!

Even moreso when he and his business partner opened the first tiki bar in the Czech Republic (that we know of) called TAKY TIKI in Prague. You can see their bar on http://www.myspace.com/takytiki. It's a very groovy place and I'm extremely addicted to tiki now.

I've just returned to Sacramento a few days ago to visit family and friends. I am in the area only for a few weeks, and if I may so bold/presumptuous to ask a question of my newfound cybertiki friends:

Does anyone have any low priced and cool tiki stuff for our little Prague bar? We just can't get tiki stuff in Czech and I'm here sort of collecting odds and ends for the bar. We don't have much of a budget, don't need anything super vintage or collectible, just some tiki/tropical things to help our little low budget Prague bar look just a bit cooler. It could be anything like mugs, prints, bamboo/wood stuff, etc. Nothing vintage or expensive, just something reproduction or knock off would do. As you can see by the myspace site, the bar is small and cool but needs a bit more tikiness to really beat those bongos!

Thanks for reading and please let me know where I can go for the above via msg or reply to this. Wouldn't it be cool to know that some old pieces in your collection you don't like as much would be proudly displayed in a former Eastern Bloc country?
I thought so! :wink:

H

Welcome, praguelodyte, and welcome to Tiki Central! Thanks for the info on your friend's tiki bar in Prague -- it's always a thrill to hear of tiki bars springing up in far-flung locales. I've added their bar to Critiki: Taky Tiki, Praha. If you can, please add your friend's bar in our Locating Tiki section, and tell us all about it!

Thanks for your warm welcome, humu!

Also tx for adding Taky Tiki to Critiki. I have a bit of a problem uploading images to that site. It's not technical, just can't answer 'yes' to all the upload questions! :(.

As a photographer I have 100s of images of Taky Tiki that I shot myself. Most of them have people in them, usually some recognizable. How do we get by this one? A waiver/release? I always get people in my shots, cuz, yknow, an empty bar is not very fun :wink:

Most of the images I shot are on dvd back in Prague, so let me know in the next few weeks if you have time, how + what I can upload. I'll be happy to upload once I'm back in Prague.

Thanks again...................... praguelodyte (Taky Tiki tropical barfly)

Hey Tikitim, I saw your request for a tiki fountain. We just purchased from costco.com a tiki waterfall pond kit, complete with 1800 pounds of real stones, and everything you need to make a waterfall. I know a waterfall is not a fountain and I'm not sure what size you are looking for, but check it out online. You can only purchase it online, it was $799 plus tax, no delivery or shipping charges! It was delivered on a palet! Can't wait to get started on it this spring.

Hey to Gigantalope & Tikicleen! We'll have you over soon. (I figured I needed my own identity from our Tiki twosome...)

We live in Rancho Cordova (Sac) and love seeing all the tiki interest. Tikitim, I love your decorating. We have a tiki bar in a spare bedroom, it's great, hubby collects mugs, I'll post photos later. Tiki is taking over the house, it's great!! I'm getting some great ideas here, so thanks!

I do miss the Hukilau, it seems right when they were really getting it right, it dissapeared, very dissapointing.

I did check out Delios in Rocklin (or Roseville), very non descript. The food was good, it's not got much atmosphere, but that's when it was first opened.

Yes, we definately need more tiki in Sacramento, I encourage anyone to open a place here, and see the tikiphiles come out of the woodwork. Please!!!

On 2007-02-10 00:10, praguelodyte wrote:
Even moreso when he and his business partner opened the first tiki bar in the Czech Republic (that we know of) called TAKY TIKI in Prague. You can see their bar on http://www.myspace.com/takytiki. It's a very groovy place and I'm extremely addicted to tiki now....
...Does anyone have any low priced and cool tiki stuff for our little Prague bar? We just can't get tiki stuff in Czech and I'm here sort of collecting odds and ends for the bar. We don't have much of a budget, don't need anything super vintage or collectible, just some tiki/tropical things to help our little low budget Prague bar look just a bit cooler. It could be anything like mugs, prints, bamboo/wood stuff, etc. Nothing vintage or expensive, just something reproduction or knock off would do. As you can see by the myspace site, the bar is small and cool but needs a bit more tikiness to really beat those bongos

I think we should start a new thread here on TC to support Prague Tiki by directly sending Tiki care packages to the TAKY TIKI !
(I guess the ALOHA WAVE LOUNGE that used BOT photos for their menu was not really a Tiki Bar, as I suspected..)

On 2007-02-15 20:38, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2007-02-10 00:10, praguelodyte wrote:
Even moreso when he and his business partner opened the first tiki bar in the Czech Republic (that we know of) called TAKY TIKI in Prague. You can see their bar on http://www.myspace.com/takytiki. It's a very groovy place and I'm extremely addicted to tiki now....
...Does anyone have any low priced and cool tiki stuff for our little Prague bar? We just can't get tiki stuff in Czech and I'm here sort of collecting odds and ends for the bar. We don't have much of a budget, don't need anything super vintage or collectible, just some tiki/tropical things to help our little low budget Prague bar look just a bit cooler. It could be anything like mugs, prints, bamboo/wood stuff, etc. Nothing vintage or expensive, just something reproduction or knock off would do. As you can see by the myspace site, the bar is small and cool but needs a bit more tikiness to really beat those bongos

I think we should start a new thread here on TC to support Prague Tiki by directly sending Tiki care packages to the TAKY TIKI !
(I guess the ALOHA WAVE LOUNGE that used BOT photos for their menu was not really a Tiki Bar, as I suspected..)

GROOOOOVY! I love the TIKI CARE PACKAGE idea! I feel like a TIKIVANGELIST all of a sudden...asking for donations to our little church of tiki in Prague!

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

On 2006-11-23 16:29, VampiressRN wrote:
OMG...you are messing with MY MIND here! I have always wanted to own some nice little tropical bar that plays Polynesian music and serves fabulous umbrella drinks. I can't believe there are so many people in the Sac area that are into this culture. I have collected cocktail recipe books and bar menus for a long time, so maybe finding this forum will help me make my dream come true in the near future. Hmmmmm...thinking about a business loan right now. :0

Hey VampiressRN, you be messin' with my mind. I have been on and off working with a plan to start a "Polynesian Place," of my own, here in Sacramento. A few years ago, I was asked, by Lyon's Corporation, to do a proposal for the now closed Lyon's Restaurant on Watt and El Camino. Inside was a small room, that was closed to the public. It would have made a great tiki bar. I planned to bring back the Terasso floor, inside the main dining room. (There is carpet on it now). It was a beautiful aquamarine color. I heard Walmart might be moving in and using it as office/reception area. But who knows? Now that Lyon's is out of the picture, I want to pursue this plan.
...Liquidspaceman, over and out

On 2006-11-18 17:27, moondog426 wrote:
Hukilau.....I wish I had gotten over there before it changed. It is still same owner. He felt he wasn't getting enough business with that format. I know it had food but I don't think he ever used ''Tiki Bar'' in any of his ads. ''Tiki Drinks'' gets my attention better than ''Sunday Brunch''. He also owns Jack's urban eats and Paesano's pizza. Maybe we'll get another tiki bar soon.

I was looking for a phone number and came across this ad. I kept it for the address. I'm sorry I never made it there.

I never made their either and I wish I had. The owner also owns Jack Urban Eats and Paesano's pizza. I bet if would have found Tiki Central we could have given him some business...Welcome aboard...We are in Carmichael. There are some great TC'ers in this part of the woods..I mean Bamboo!!!

OMG...is that the building that is on the corner with the roof slanted just right and the rock on the outside? I can't believe you said that Spaceu....every time I drive by there I think....damn....that place would make a great tiki bar. It is all fenced off right now...I bet it gets bulldozed down. Check it out and let me know what the scoop is. Maybe some of us could float a business loan and pull it off. :(

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-20 18:40 ]

On 2007-02-20 18:37, VampiressRN wrote:
OMG...is that the building that is on the corner with the roof slanted just right and the rock on the outside? I can't believe you said that Spaceu....every time I drive by there I think....damn....that place would make a great tiki bar. It is all fenced off right now...I bet it gets bulldozed down. Check it out and let me know what the scoop is. Maybe some of us could float a business loan and pull it off. :(

VampTiki

Funny you should mention a business loan VampriressRN. I am actually working on that! :tiki:
shhhh! don't tell anyone 8)
Liquidspaceman, over and out

-Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
our last frontier on the planet Earth.

[ Edited by: Liquidspaceman 2007-02-21 07:24 ]

My lips are sealed....mums the word....I can see it now with tikis in the front with alternating colored spot lights and bamboo fountains with fog machines and tons of green fauna and palm trees. Keep me posted on this top-secret project. :)

Vamp..., I am currently looking at 3 other properties in the Sacramento area. :drink:
There is much to consider. Location, price, parking, etc.

Well, I got done with work early, so I went to Luau Gardens for lunch. (I needed a pseudo tiki fix). 8) I then looked around town for possibilities for new tiki restaurants and hotels. I found some potential sites. I even found a Bowling Alley that could be turned into an Atomic Style bowling alley. It has a bar inside that would lend itself nicely to a tiki bar. That's all for now.

:tiki: Liquidspaceman, over and out :tiki:

-Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
our last frontier on the planet Earth.

[ Edited by: Liquidspaceman 2007-02-22 16:36 ]

I hope that anyone even remotely close to Sacramento is not thinking about doing anything else on Saturday March 10th but attending Vamp's Tiki Party between 2:00 and 8:00 p.m. in Rocklin CA! (see CA events forum)!

See ya there!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I'm going to the party)!

On 2007-02-20 18:37, VampiressRN wrote:

VampTiki

Tis sad but true: tonight I walked by that corner Watt/El Camino site just down the road from where I grew up. It is 60% demolished: gaping holes in the roof, the back half nearly gone, and a hungry bulldozer parked next to it. By the end of the week it will be a blank corner. Those demolition crews work fast.

I really wish that place would've become a tiki joint. It was suitable in shape and surrounded by palm trees. And we need a tiki joint here in Sac. No, REALLY. San Francisco has just a buttload of tiki places...at least 8 or 9. Sacramento: BIG GOOSE EGG. Even MODESTO has Minnie's (VERY tikified).

Yep it's true. I drove down Watt yesterday to work in Sacramento and the wreckers were having a wild time tearing it down. There goes my hopes of seeing that building as a tiki place. :(

You got it Psycho.....be at the party. Great chance for the NorCal ohana to meet and share some good food and drink and tiki wares. See you there. :)

Cheer up Vamp. I'm working on a new place that will blow your socks off, or should I say your tikis off :tiki:
BTW, I was a real grump today, knowing that a part of Sacramento history was being torn down. But it will live on in our memories. Buzz Oates can't take that away. I don't want to see any tiki centralites ever buying gas at that gas station. Like Roz in Monster's Inc. says, "I'll be watching you, Wazowski ..I'll be watching you!" Let's make sure the Googie Style bowling alley, across the street, doesn't get torn down.

You got it....will gas up elsewhere. Great loss of a tiki-style building. :(

Happy to see Sac is coming around. Since it is the Capitol of da' Island of Cali,....damn right it needs more tiki. More Tipsy factor. Tiki Per Sq. Yard.

Glad to see your interest Jungle Trader :drink:
And Vamp, when the time is right, I will be revealing the master plan and asking for tiki Centralites, or maybe just NorCal members for their input in making it possible in having more " :tiki: per sq. yard" As Jungle Trader puts it.

Vamp I almost forgot. I hope you had a great party last night and the village market (your garage) was bustling with transactions galore.

Pages: 1 2 80 replies