Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Chop Chop - new date 1/20 at 4WDTiki's in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

On 2007-01-14 17:44, mieko wrote: and if people would like it, my parents can do up a batch of yakisoba noodles and bring that over. Speak up if you'd like noodles

Adding my voice for NOODLES!

noooooooodles....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

H

Is anyone bringing music?

On 2007-01-18 17:08, hiltiki wrote:
Is anyone bringing music?

I'll bring music and booze. I am sure Cammo will also bring a mix CD or nine.:)

I'll have a stereo on the patio.

On 2007-01-18 18:49, 4WDtiki wrote:
I'll have a stereo on the patio.

Disc changer with random?? :)

Yes.

I wish I could go, but I've got other commitments that day.
I really enjoyed the last carving get-together. Here's the tiki I started in the last chop chop.

Well today I swept the cobwebs off the patio chairs, and leveled and filled the mole hills and holes in the backyard, I am ready. The weather says sunny and a high of 60!(woohoo)

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 20, 2007 5:13 PM

Thanks 4WD for the HUGE YARD.
Sorry I could only be there for a flash,

Here's the place I was describing, if you folks haven't been there ya gotta go! The bar is original 1950's, you grill your own meat (or fish) and it's a party every time we've been there, this place SWINGS. You just won't believe the scene. They ripped off the whole concept for a new downtown place that isn't half as fun. The original Turf Supper Club is busy as heck weekends, even weeknights, but get there early, have a few cocktails and relax after a day of chopping -

The Turf Supper Club
1116 25th St. San Diego
(619) 234-6363.

This article has some great photos attached -
http://sandiegoeats.blogspot.com/2005/06/turf-supper-club.html

B

Whoa....I can't believe it! I'm totally a whole day behind!...What a cadet.

This wedding I'm trying to prep for sure has me on the ropes. I was out in the back yard inking in, and adjusting some reed hair onto this groom tiki that I was going to bring to tomorrows Chop...but hey, it's a little after 5:00pm and the Chop is today! You guys must be into drinks right about now and looking over the tikis that you have been having fun with....

I don't know what to say....I'm blaming it on the 60's.

Babalu

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 12:53 AM

4WDtiki, thanks for hosting today's San Diego Chop Chop! I had a great time, and it was really nice seeing everyone. Here are my pictures from today's event!

Thanks again everyone! See you at the next Chop Chop!

Zaya

GREAT pictures, Zaya! Especially the action sequence of standing and moving the big tiki in the field!

I had such a good time yesterday. So many cool peeps to hang with. Thanks to all who bought food, it was all delicious. Moki's chicken skewers, Kate's spinach roll things, all Mieko's dishes...
Eric, I had some of that premixed maitai last night, whoa!

Let's do it all again next month!

H

I had the best time everyone, you are all so nice and welcoming. Thanks 4WDTiki for everything (did you do your workout today?) :) Tikidav can you send me some of that info on how to get the smaller tools that you were using and the name of the Hawaiian book please. Cammo I have been listening to your CD's since I got back, they are great. Let's do this again please, can we do it on a Sunday next time please?

Great time as always...thanks to 4wd for hosting on his grand carving estate!!!

Can't wait for the next one!!!! Let's keep them on Saturday though....Sunday is too hard and nobody wants to get up for work after a full day of chip slinging....

Special shoutout to that chick with the great rack at the carving!!!

.....I mean dave's tiki of course :wink:

M
Moki posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 10:53 PM

What a wonderful day!! The sun was out and the company was good and the food was awesome. MUSUBI!!! Thanks to everybody who brought food.

4WDTiki-Thanks for hosting. You have an amazing pad. So much space to carve. Next time we need to bring our "whack a mole" mallets. We'll have the moles under control in no time. :wink:

Babalu....we missed you. Bummer you lost track of the days. Can't wait to see the bride & groom all finished.

Dave-Thanks for the resin tips. Can't wait to get going on that.

It was fun to see everybody again. Looking forward to the next one. Here's a link to our pictures.

Clickety click

[ Edited by: Moki 2007-01-21 23:02 ]

M

I had a GREAT time yesterday! Thanks 4WDTiki for hosting, thanks to everyone else for bringing food and drinks. :)

Thanks to Buzzy's bad influence, I'm now thinking about getting some flexcut palm tools, evil, evil buzzy. Of course that does make me realize that I can probably do without my sculptor's set of flexcuts. They're really great, but I just don't take out that much wood at one time. Anyone interested in a slightly used sculptors set? PM me. :)

So, who's hosting next? Sometime in Feb would be great. Sat or Sun is fine for me, I think picking a day should probably be up to the host and what's easiest for them.

Mieko, after seeing the light from your flame show, I went to HD and bought the Mapp gas torch kit. Mapp gas is the bomb! I went for the delux package, one cylinder and the adjustable flame control torch.

Monica, great pics! My yard looks nicer than it is, i.e. the old bar and sign.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-22 06:15 ]

It really was a great day. It is my solemn vow to "go deep" on my next tiki.

I'll be spending next weekend finishing my three unfinished tikis. Gotta get some Mapp gas first.

Bill - Thanks for hosting.

Buzzy - Thanks for the sticker.

Mieko - The masubi and the tips on Mapp gas were fabulous. Thank you.

Ona & Moki - Thanks for giving me a place to stay.

Mr. NoName - Thank you for that priceless scene of you running through the field with that log. I laugh every time I think of it.

Everyone else - Thanks for sharing your knowledge and good company.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 9:51 AM

The more I work on my little Oki Doki monster, the more I appreciate the Kate style of go shallow. I could have made 5 tikis in the last month that way instead of 3/4 of one.

Kate, that tiki would look great stained in different colors for the different areas!
It's a WINNAH!

On 2007-01-22 09:51, Cammo wrote:
The more I work on my little Oki Doki monster, the more I appreciate the Kate style of go shallow. I could have made 5 tikis in the last month that way instead of 3/4 of one.

Kate, that tiki would look great stained in different colors for the different areas!
It's a WINNAH!

Thanks Cammo.

I'm actually going to stain him blue and attached a really big cork to his head. He's based on the Island Systems & Design decanter. I was just so excited that he came out looking like the picture I worked off of.

B

Thanks 4WDBill for hosting a great Chop-Chop! When are you going to post a thread with your Tikis, man?!

Great pictures, Zaya and Moki. Thanks for posting them.

Hilda, the book we talked about is called Hawaiian Sculpture. It's on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Sculpture-J-Halley-Cox/dp/0824810694/sr=1-1/qid=1169436728/ref=sr_1_1/105-0731939-9936413?ie=UTF8&s=books It's the best book I've been able to find on classic Hawaiian carvings. Go to my other link
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21904&forum=18&start=45 and you'll see where I've posted info about where to get a riffler like the one I was using. It was nice to meet 'cha!

On 2007-01-21 19:31, Clysdalle wrote:

Special shoutout to that chick with the great rack at the carving!!!

.....I mean dave's tiki of course :wink:

My Tiki's rack and your Tiki's booty makes the perfect combo!

It was very cool hanging out with all of you! Post your Tikis like Cheeky did! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies