Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Babalu - Lapatiki 3 - The way out is the way through

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

R
Robin posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 7:18 AM

Nothing like drinking from a handmade mug. Pretty nice, both of them, but I'm pretty fond of how you keep working your theme in new and interesting ways. Makes me smile.

Are they low fire? I'm still looking forward to the clay conversation. Sending you PM. Maybe we can get a 'fire' under it!

Peace...

Peace up.

B

Babalu thats an Awwesome bunch of mugs there and I really wish thyey were Here instead.
HappyHappyHappy

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 8:03 PM

That's funny as heck, Babs. These mugs are the very first ones that have made me literally laugh out loud.

Can I carve little carrot designs all over the blank areas? And are you going to finish it in ...

Pink & White?

Baby Blue & White?

Carrot Orange and Green?

Easter Fantasia????? (Pink, yellow, white, sky blue and egg yolk orange)

B

HAPPY BUNNY DAY!!!

Thanks for bouncing in Hip Hip :) Your party bowl is next up...I have a start on it. It will be interesting to see if I can make this low fire clay sculpturally do what it is that I want it to do...stay tuned.

Piapo - You da man! Thanks for the schooling....."Rapetiki"...yes, yes...I like it! Here's a cool picture of Lapakahi on the Big Island.

Mudslinger - Thanks for the pms...It is fun shooting the bull with another clay nut.

Ben - Thanks, Your swap piece is sure making me Happy, Happy too!

Cammo - Sure brother, I'll glaze one of these mugs off the cuff...I'm seeing some fun coloring on one of these as well.

Well, This guy is just about done. I still have a little bit of burning to do on him yet, but he is very close. This guy is still very wet, and I may or may not have to fix a crack when he dries out. It's funny, I will most likely put a few coats of Spar on him when he dries, but I really don't think he will ever look better than he does right now. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but this drying palm has this wonderful light yellow hue to it that really turns me on. It will fade as the piece dries.

Sometimes, if an image of the "Great Mother" starts to show through in a carving, you just have to let it happen...Right Piapo?

Here is one area where I have not finished the burn yet, but you can see how I wish to depict a great battle tattooed on the ears.

This is what happens when you put your fingers to close to a mad rabbit.

I polled from many folks...eyes, or no eyes? Kinny is of the no eyes clan. It's running about 80% keep the eyes - 20% loose the eyes.

Birdman's boy got a little too close yesterday as well :)

B

Thanks Babalu, I love seeing you HappyHappy.
I'll vote to keep the eyes, we can't have a blind Rapetiki running loose, especially one who likes to Bite so much. I can see he took a lot of effort and planning and then he just came out the way HE Wanted to, Love those kind.

Cool stuff Babalu! I vote yes on the eyes, maybe nice sliver "brow" shaped ones... but eyes for sure :) Happy Bunny Day All!!!

R

Gotta have eyes, maybe different from the poppers. He's great whatever you decide.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the cave drawings on the ears. You go Babalu! May the Bunny Mother Goddess be with you. Pretty nice bowl you got going on there too. The method looks very familiar.

Happy Birth Day Rick!

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-03-24 06:15 ]

Holy Rabid Rabbit! I agree he looks great now, the yellowy palm makes him look soft. I'm sure it'll great no matter what you do to 'em.

No Eyes!
At least not those eyes....
CARVE some eyes there using the arch already provided!
great seeing you yesterday!
Beautiful,amazing Bunny lapatiki
but i'm taking your bunny to court for injuries sustained!
Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday Rick!!!

Lapatiki doesn't even need to be pink now 'cause the ear tattoos just completely crank up the cute factor.

Hey LLT, lets make it a class action thing, my son is acting wierd today (More so than usual!)!

Happy B-day Babs! Thanks again for the mug, and just being you! See you in court!

Fun stuff Babalu, I really like the "war tats" on the ears.
I'm sure whatever YOU decide on the eyes will be fine.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 24, 2008 4:59 PM

I vote eyes.

Babs,

Those cave (ear) drawings are too much. I about messed myself when I saw the pics. I love it. They remind me of Sid the sloth. Happy happy!

The Rapetiki is great! I love his LapaHei and all the crazy little touches you have put into him. Careful, your artistic genius is showing......

I'm a big fan,

G$

Bump, here's my vote where you been my friend. alot of cool creative art here,hope to see more soon, Aloha your friend Mooney

S

Somehow i missed the finish.

Man this guy turned out incredible nice work! Love
the cave drw on the ears.

I vote eyes.

B

Hey all you peoples...Thanks so much for bouncing into this thread. This rabbit must be dried out enough now to stain...I will post pictures after.

Mooney, not gone brother I just switched mediums for a minute. I've been play in mud over in the "other crafts" area for a spell. Back to carving soon.

come on over for a visit...

B

It's hard to believe I've been missing this fantastic stuff, Dammit babalu you are one sick puppy doing some seriously sick stuff! I Really need to spend more time on this side of creating, I'
m Missing way too much good stuff

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 5:40 AM

Dang! Babs, what is that? Whatever it is, it is awesome. That open mouth HAS to be insanely tough to make with mud.

-G

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 7:16 AM

Am I seeing a little Tiki Bob? Where is the finger? That guy is so animated. You win for most animated mug. I bet you couldn't sleep a good nights sleep next to it.

B

:o

Incredible stuff dude !

Benjamin.

S

WOW nice mud placement!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 5:09 PM

Thanks for dropping a line BenZ..."some people laugh at me because I'm different...I laugh at them because their all the same."

GGGGGMAN!!! - It's a babaloon dude - you know...check http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24647&forum=18&start=165&177

Teaks - He just looked better with the Tiki Bob mug in his hand than he did flying the bird...A mug holding a mug...there should be a mug holding a mug holding a mug too. Hummm?

Hey Benjamin - Good to hear from you man! Thank you.

Seeksurf - CHEERS! I'm digging on this old Islander's Cobra Fang Mug (on menu) posted here. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28577&forum=5&5
It seems more Art Nouveau than it does Tiki to me, but I like it. Might have to try something like this too??

A Baboon, holding a Tiki Bob!? Can't wait to be neighbors, Babs.

You have got to love the Easter Tiki Bunny! Not that was very funny. Keep up the great work!

B

I stained Lapatiki 2 and added another coat to number one today...they look pretty good I think. I will try to post pictures tomorrow of them after they have dried some. Here's a peak at Lapatiki 3....Crayons are a real pain to carve. I'm not much into working small, but this one just kinda cried out to be done :)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-06-28 19:11 ]

B

Bunny Brown? :) Looks like a Hairy rabbit to ME. Dayuum Babs, How you do that so tiny weency bitsey??

B

Babalu, that is just incredible. What toolz are you uzing/

B

Hey Ben, Thanks :) I just used this here knife...

B

Now where on Earth did you find a Crayon called "Bunny Brown"?

That is a way cool design, Sir B!

Whatever you do, don't leave it in the sun!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2008 7:54 PM

Totally hare ball!

Babs rules!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2008 9:53 PM

Make a PENDANT outta that buzzy! Puuu-leeeeease!

If you make bunnies, they will come.

B

Top self.

Benjamin.

B

Thanks for bouncing in fellers...You words inspire the next one.

Well, the carvings dried out well, and I put some clear coat on them. I think they turn out pretty good.

Lapatiki no. 1

Lapatiki no. 2

Lapatiki no. 3

Damn, those all look so good, coated and posed!

Didn't you start carving the crayon months ago? I remember you showing me the beginning of it, or is this the second one?

Will there be a Lapatiki #4???

B

Hey Wheeler,

Yeah, I did start that Lapatiki 3 a few months ago...I toasted that one on your concrete porch. :) This one is the second attempt. Carving on Crayons is not a new thing...check this cat's work out below. This dude has some major skills. Crayons are hard to carve...they tend to want to flake off in layers as you cut. I would say this one was my first and last one. I just wanted to play with it to see if I could do it.

More Lapatikis? Yup, that's most likely all I'm going to carve for some time. I really am having fun combining the rabbit image with Polinesian based elements as well as other symbols.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 2:06 PM

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 2:40 PM

Man, I love that lil guy! Disregard the anti-anthropomorphic camp and follow your crazy unique vision....and you do know the significance of the brown crayon in Tiki revival history don't you?

"More Lapatikis? Yup, that's most likely all I'm going to carve for some time"

The first step is to admit you have a problem...My name is Babalu and I'm a lapaholic :P
They all look so awesome, the carved crayon just blows my little mind!

S

Great Job! they look great.
#3 thats a cryon right how the hell?
unreal how you do that?

Man, they definitely have a nice touch to them. Nice work.

C

Oh! the lapatikis are great!! Congrats!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 1:06 PM

Strangely enough, I came across this just after posting my last comment. Funny how things work out like that sometimes...

T

A crayon?! Wow, friggin amazing!

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 1:30 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for stopping in to post something.

Paipo - I found her too. Another good reason not to get into Crayon carving I think...there is already far to many playing this gig. But seeing how that gal is carving really very loosely and still grabbing up US$200. a Crayon, it makes it tempting :) I like her bases, but I think I tend to like the other guy's (Phipot & Abidi) works a little better. I have no clue how they did that spiral cut in that one Crayon? It seems impossible to me. Machine?

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-07-02 14:01 ]

B

Now THATS a big HARRY/Harey deal! Yours are Definitely Better babalu. Love your Hare tiki with the vegi-tatts too. Only you could get away with posting tiki carvings on a rabbit forum. :lol:

C

I love that damn bunny crayon....I laugh every time I see it!!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 4:51 PM

Yo Babs. Howzzitt?

I like mine nutritious....

G$

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies