Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Exotic/Strange Liquor

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hey,
I'm curious about all the different kinds of alcohol out there but haven't found much on the Net. For example, I have a bottle of Amarula, which is a cream liquer made from the marula fruit in South Africa. It tastes kinda like Kahlua except a million times better. That's just one example. I know people make alcohol from all kinds of crazy shit, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any good links.

It's also just interesting to learn about which wine is made from which grape, which brands of whiskey are made with rye, which vodkas are potato, etc. As far as strange alcohol, this is the only link I really found. http://www.weird-food.com/weird-food-drink.html

Thanks,
Erik

D

I saw buffalo grass vodka the other day. It is vodka falvored with buffalo grass (whatever that is) and has a few blades of it in the bottle. That is strange.

D

Also the new Jekell & Hyde liqour set. Two bottles that fit together, one is berry liquor the other is a spice. They are supposed to go together, the spicy liquor floats on top of the red berry liquor.

KC

Without a doubt in my mind, Cynar is one of the weirder liquors out there. It's made from Artichokes

Chris

M
mbanu posted on Tue, Dec 5, 2006 9:31 AM

Mongolian Arkhi, distilled from fermented yak milk? :)

*Edit: Looks like they sell it in Japan. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/yakmilkarkhi/

[ Edited by: mbanu 2006-12-05 09:32 ]

[ Edited by: mbanu 2006-12-05 09:33 ]

F

I don't think I want to drink fermented Artichoke Juice. That one makes my mouth water in a bad way.

I'm not sure if this is considered weird. My family is Danish and we have akvavit at every holiday get together. That stuff will take the paint off the walls, and then take out the wall. Even after it has stayed in the freezer for a month. It's kind of like a vodka flavored with caraway seed, gasoline and a touch of evil. I'm pretty sure this is the Scandinavian way of warding off the devil. Pretty much like saying, "Look if I can drink this you ain't gonna be able to do shit." That or my family hates themselves so much we feel the need to punish ourselves with this stuff.

M

Just had Lauria Alpensahne today for the first time. Truly bizzare and quite delicious.

http://www.alpenz.com/lauria_basic.htm

It's poire william, cream and pear puree. The pears in the spirit are chunky and it's thick as a milkshake. It looks just like puke. But it's wonderful.

T

Kava.

Made the traditional way.

What, you have to ask?

Okay (short version):

Women chew up the roots, and spit the saliva paste into a big bowl.

It ferments.

The men drink it.

F

Lovely, one that looks like puke, and another tha is made from spit. Again mouth watering in a bad way.

T

On 2006-12-05 23:07, tikibars wrote:
Kava.

Made the traditional way.

What, you have to ask?

Okay (short version):

Women chew up the roots, and spit the saliva paste into a big bowl.

It ferments.

The men drink it.

Yep. Kava is weird. I've never had it the traditional way, but Kava can be had at the Kava Kava bar on the Big Island. Not very palatable stuff. Goes good with pineapple though.

On 2006-12-05 09:52, frostiki wrote:
I don't think I want to drink fermented Artichoke Juice. That one makes my mouth water in a bad way.

I'm not sure if this is considered weird. My family is Danish and we have akvavit at every holiday get together. That stuff will take the paint off the walls, and then take out the wall. Even after it has stayed in the freezer for a month. It's kind of like a vodka flavored with caraway seed, gasoline and a touch of evil. I'm pretty sure this is the Scandinavian way of warding off the devil. Pretty much like saying, "Look if I can drink this you ain't gonna be able to do shit." That or my family hates themselves so much we feel the need to punish ourselves with this stuff.

Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've seen Cynar, and while I'm sure I won't like it, I'll definitely check it out. I've had akvavit, usually the Norwegian brand Linie, and I quite like it (I'm of Norwegian ancestry).

T

Cynar (pronounced "CHEE-nar") is unusual, and an acquired taste. Slightly bitter. If you like the sweet/bitter/astringent effect of Moxie Cola, you'll probably like it. Cynar is made from the artichoke plant, not the leaved fruits we usually eat. It has some sort of rep for being an aphrodesiac. It's not expensive, either - in CA at BevMo, a 750ml bottle is around $15. Find a bar that has it and try it there first.

I'm nuts about unusual alcohol, and I seek out odd stuff - mostly liqueurs - regularly. Here are a few I enjoy:
Damiana is a liqueur with supposed aphrodesiac qualities, a very sweet honey-colored liquid that I can see mixing well and being difficult to identify, maybe good for your Mystery drink? Comes in a cool South American "pregnant earth mother statue" bottle that looks great with tiki stuff.

Agavero is a liqueur made from Anejo and Reposado tequila and Damiana leaf, and is very, very tasty if you love the smoky agave flavor of good tequila. Good in top shelf rocks margaritas, too, instead of (or in addition to) an orange liqueur. Both of these should be available in many places, as is Cynar. BevMo stores in CA carry all three.

I know of two other unusual liqueurs that are very much worth trying. The first is Creme de Violette. A rich purple color but, unlike the orange-and-vanilla Parfait Amour, this is actually made with violets, and tastes like liquid violet. It's very sweet, but I find it excellent for a light sip. No brand of this has been available (at least, not anywhere near the states) for at least 30 years, but now Rothman & Winter of Austria are making and importing it, theirs being made with Queen Charlotte and March violets. It's in two test markets so far: NYC and CA. Contact Rothman & Winter's US distributor online by phone to ask who has it - I bought mine at BevMo in Santa Clara, but many BevMos in the San Jose area have it. It's an essential ingredient in a proper Aviation Cocktail, changing it from cloudy white to a very pale sky-blue tint!

The other, I refer to as "magic in a bottle", and it must be tasted to be believed. St. Germain is made from elderflowers. Elderflower bar syrup has been available for a while, but it is extremely, cloyingly sweet, due to being made from freeze-dried flowers, a necessity because elderflowers bloom for only three days a year. The French makers have on hire 30-40 gypsies they refer to as "un hommes bohemien", Bohemian men; they are sent into the foothills with bicycles equipped with wooden frames. They hand-pick fresh flowers, put them in sacks and load these on the frames, and ride them to market for a quick trip to the distillery, to be used fresh. St. Germain has a bit of some sort of citrus added, they claim, but I can't taste it. I taste and smell peach, pear, lychee, vanilla, slight hints of all of these. I cannot describe the flavor, save that it's absolutely magical! Bottle is realluy cool, too, sort of a fluted crown shape, looks neat sitting on your shelf and people will ask "What's that? It's so pretty!" I'll bet this, too, could be a key ingredient in "Mystery drinks" that will completely throw off any attempts by your guests to identify the specifics. People who taste my stock usually try to identify one predominant flavor in it, and end up stumbling over a few before admitting that they're stumped. But not one person I've met hasn't liked it, and many get addicted quickly and go grab their own bottle. This is easier to find than Creme de Violette.

And by the way... If you have access to both of these and a narrow cordial glass, fill it halfway with St. Germain, then top gently with Creme de Violette. You don't want to float it, but don't want complete mixing either - there should be a lighter color at the bottom. This is a great sipping cordial mix if you enjoy very sweet, aromatic stuff.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:30 AM

Here is one that is starting to find some popularity. Ti-Toki liqueur made in New Zealand. It uses titoki berries, kawakawa and manuka leaves for flavor. 37% proof. Sweet finish that reminds me of Licor 43 or Nassau Royal. The sucker aint cheap though. It's sold in the 500ml hand glazed tekoteko crock with paua inlayed eyes, or glass bottle. Thankfully my sister lives in NZ and brought it to me. Around $60USD. The tekoteko crock comes with a cork inserted in the top. You have to pull it with a cork screw, but they supply a cork stopper top.

The company has a recipe on the box that is good. One part Ti-Toki and three parts ginger beer. It's pleasant and refreshing.

Their web site has other recipes found here

Here is my Tekoteko keeping the evil spirits (Barcardi) away from my bar.

If you know someone who is in NZ or visiting try and get it, other wise the shipping from NZ might be to stiff for most.

[ Edited by: loki 2008-04-29 04:50 ]

B

I don't know how exotic it is but, I brought back some macadamia nut liqueur from Oahu and since I already had a picture of it....

and here is the threadhopping recipe

Pablus wrote:

MMMMMacadamia Nut - That means some "Prince Kuhios"

From a previous thread in Food and Drink:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

...And by the way... If you have access to both of these and a narrow cordial glass, fill it halfway with St. Germain, then top gently with Creme de Violette. You don't want to float it, but don't want complete mixing either - there should be a lighter color at the bottom. This is a great sipping cordial mix if you enjoy very sweet, aromatic stuff...

Oh. My. La Verandah has enjoyed this thread immensely but this bit has her quite nearly in a swoon.

It's quite the most romantic concoction she has ever heard of. It should be sipped by lovers before the final aria of a Puccini opera.

S

I'm a bit of a fan of Parfait Amour myself,but haven't had a chance to try the Creme de Violette.
Another brand that makes the Violette is a brand called G.E. Massenez who produce a hell of a lot of different liquers including a Ginger and Lime flavour which is very interesting.

Another one available here in Australia is Agwa,which is a coca leaf liquer from Bolivia(fancy that).Nice straight out of the freezer.Chew on a lime wedge then slam a shot.Mmmm....tasty.

T

Parfait Amour and Creme de Violette are not related, though both are the same color and they'd probably mate well. Parfait Amour is an orange liqueur, whereas Creme de Violette is actually violet-flavored.

T

*On 2008-04-28 07:25, TorchGuy wrote:*I refer to as "magic in a bottle", and it must be tasted to be believed. St. Germain is made from elderflowers. Elderflower bar syrup has been available for a while, but it is extremely, cloyingly sweet, due to being made from freeze-dried flowers, a necessity because elderflowers bloom for only three days a year. The French makers have on hire 30-40 gypsies they refer to as "un hommes bohemien", Bohemian men; they are sent into the foothills with bicycles equipped with wooden frames. They hand-pick fresh flowers, put them in sacks and load these on the frames, and ride them to market for a quick trip to the distillery, to be used fresh. St. Germain has a bit of some sort of citrus added, they claim, but I can't taste it. I taste and smell peach, pear, lychee, vanilla, slight hints of all of these. I cannot describe the flavor, save that it's absolutely magical! Bottle is realluy cool, too, sort of a fluted crown shape, looks neat sitting on your shelf and people will ask "What's that? It's so pretty!" I'll bet this, too, could be a key ingredient in "Mystery drinks" that will completely throw off any attempts by your guests to identify the specifics. People who taste my stock usually try to identify one predominant flavor in it, and end up stumbling over a few before admitting that they're stumped. But not one person I've met hasn't liked it, and many get addicted quickly and go grab their own bottle. This is easier to find than Creme de Violette.

I hope you'll all allow me to indulge in a bit of patting of my own back here...

St. Germain sponsors a monthly recipe contest.

A drink I invented, which I call the Velo, tied for first place in August, 2008. I just found out yesterday. I am a little bit stoked.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

V E L O

1 oz. St. Germain

1/2 oz. home made passion fruit syrup (try two parts Goya brand passionfruit pulp, to one part sugar and one part filtered water).

4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

1.25 oz. Gin (so far: Beefeaters and Hendrick's win, Tanqueray works, avoid Sapphire)

3/4 oz fresh squeezed lime juice.

Shake for a long time with a lot of ice and strain into a wine glass.

Lately I have been using Peach Bitters instead of Peychaud's.
Either works.

Last night I began working on a drink with St. Germain, Clement rum, and Clement Creole orange liqueur.
Not done yet, but it is coming together fast...

Congrats on that win Tikibars :)

V
virani posted on Tue, Oct 7, 2008 7:24 AM

funny, I've never seen a bottle of St Germain in France (and I live 2 minutes drive to St Germain en Laye). I guess it's more exported than used here...

there seems to be some online, thanks for the info, it looks great.

Pages: 1 19 replies