Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

A "Shag" style fireplace?

Pages: 1 33 replies

I came across a cool looking fireplace like right out of a SHAG painting...theyre made by Malm Fireplaces inc. Check them out at: http://www.raytechstore.com/fireplace/woodstoves.htm

L
laney posted on Wed, Jan 8, 2003 1:44 AM

I got a red one in great shape from a friend for $20.00. We were shocked when we went to a retro shop and an orange one sold for $550.00. We had no idea what a bargain we got. It is sitting outside, in the back yard, awaiting a room to be built around it. Soon...the ultimate lanai.

T

These are called ACORN fireplaces I beleive, cause they sort of resemble an acorn. Very hot! Literally! I would love to have one myself... much like tiki bars, they are usually torn out and thrown away by people who buy houses with them who 'just don't understand'.

SAVE THE ACORNS!!!!

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1221&item=935507919

Here's one you can get even if you don't have a chimney! Wow, paint it like the kahiki fireplace and that one is a winner!

T

I see a familiar name is bidding... I think the seller is being overly optimistic with their reserve, don't you think? At 250 you should have hit reserve by now! Ah well.

As for the 'ACORN" term, I noticed it seems to be a Canadian-only word 'cause when I looked it up in google, all the sites that referred to these funky fireplaces as acorns were Canadian. So I think in the US it is just 'Free Standing Contemporary Fireplace' and there is no specific name that I can see. Makes it harder to find.

I have also heard a larger version of the freestanding metal fireplace referred to as a "Swedish fireplace."

We sold a 2 part red metal one at a garage sale a couple of years back. It was previously purchased at a garage sale and used happily for many years until we moved into our existing home where there was no more room :( because we have a real brick fireplace :)

anyway - just be careful - there are 2 grades - one for electric fake fires and more expensive ones for real fires - very different animal and it's dangerous to confuse the 2!

T

Right, beware when buying one that it's made for a real fire - some were intended for gas or electric fires. Three companies were big in the biz - Malm, Preway and Majestic. Malm models included corner fires, square and round units with short or tall conical tops, and a fireplace which hangs on three chains, firebowl and screen included! They also made the Carousel Fireplace, a circular glassed-in fire with a spinning flame. Malm still makes some neat fires, including the Zircon (similar to the old Majestic Firehood) and the Lancer, a model that's in my 70s Malm catalogs. Other companies produced some odd ones, too, including a spherical fire that looks like a space helmet. I can send photos to anyone who contacts me. I've got a small Malm Fire Duke (a tall cone with an arched fire opening, bright orange with 'burnt' edges) and I've got my eye on a low, squatty cone model (Majestic Aztec) in black, as a local apt. complex is removing them from their units. If any local wants one, again, contact me, I'll find out what they plan to charge.

H

On 2008-06-03 18:03, TorchGuy wrote:
... I can send photos to anyone who contacts me. ...

Why not just post the photos here? I'm sure a lot of us would like to see them.

i have this in my booth at a retro mall here in cleveland,i have got $795.00 on it.i've seen them for as much as $1500.00 mine is a real wood burner,so you can do wood,gas or electric

T

I can do that! A few years ago, I contacted Malm, asking about their older models. I inquired about old catalogs, and the person I spoke with confirmed that they had some. I asked for copies. I assume they must have multiples of each, because I recieved original color brochures, not photocopies. I have two different 70s catalogs:

What seems to be an earlier catalog shows the suspended Fire Duchess on the cover, with interior pages showing the Imperial Carousel (spinning fire), Baron (short cone with swept-back mouth opening), Fire Jester (three-sided corner fire) and Fire Duke (tall, narrow cone), with the Fire Queen (box with conical top) and Fire Prince (cylinder with rounded top and bottom) on the back, as well as specs for these and the Fire Princess (smaller Queen) and Fire King (Queen with boxy top) and the freestanding Duchess. Ten porcelain enamel colors are shown. Printed on textured paper.

The other catalog shows the freestanding Duchess on the cover, with fold-out interior showing the Baron, Fire Jester, Fire Duke, larger faceted Grand Duke, Lancer (short cone with inwardly-flared base), Electric and Gas Baroness models (Baron with round pedestal instead of square block base), Diamond Fire (squat cone on cone-on-cone base, but square - wall and corner versions), suspended Fire Duchess, Fire Queen, Royal Carousel, and new Imperial Carousel with shorter hood cone.Ten porcelain colors listed, as well as porcelain or flat black, though color list differs slightly.

Another shows the Carousel and details its invention by a Mr. Harold Tannebaum and its history. It has an innovative design that spins the flames using an unusual draft arrangement, which burns the soot so the fire burns clean.

Then, there's an 80s catalog showing the Imperial Carousel, Spin-A-Fire (another fireplace using the Carousel idea) and the Lancer, as well as the Jester II, a Jester with glass doors.

Last, there's the current catalog, with Imperial Carousel, Fire Drum II and III (I have no idea what the original Fire Drum design was), the Spin-A-Fire, Lancer, and the Zircon which is very much like a Baroness. This catalog lists ten porcelain colors including black, seven "optional" colors that cost extra, plus matte black.

I'll scan all of these ASAP. In the meantime, here are some saved shots I have, taken from eBay and Craigslist as well as various vintage shops' websites. Description is for following photo:

Around 1998, I had contact with someone selling off NOS from a closed fireplace shop. Here are some of his shots. This is a Majestic "Aztec" in a color comparable to Malm's Zinnia Green. Aztec colors were stippled with black. The base is a cone-on-cone arrangement The ones I said I might be able to get in Seattle area are matte-black Aztecs.

To its left and right are corner fires, Malm Jesters, in a dark olive green. Below are to Majestic Regency models, one in Zinnia Green, one in orange. Note that these stand on two tapered, splayed legs in front with brass feet, with a blocky rear support. Background on the right is a white Malm Jester - these have brass trim.

Next is a Majestic ad, listing six colors. The photos at bottom show, L to R, a square matte black fire (note green butterfly chair and yellow Barcelona Chair), an apparently gas-fired orange Regency (with another butterfly chair - I love those, too) and a white wall-mount electric The little circle of sketchesin the center shows some copying of Malm models - that's a Malm Duchess at top center, a Fire Queen or Princess just counter-clockwise from it, and a Fire Duke at bottom left! Also shows an Aztec, a Regency, that boxy model, a Franklin Fireplace copycat, two electric wall fires, and a Majestic Firehood (bottom right).

It's possible that this is what a Malm Fire Drum looks like. Would make a nice corner fire:

This is a Lancer. Looks like the early 90s color Malm called "Rust".

Here's a Malm Spin-A-Fire in Burnt Almond. Whereas the Carousel was finally offered in a brushed brass finish in the 90s, the Spin-A-Fire has been sold in bright polished chrome, brass or copper.

An electric fire, a Lancer imitation with a conical base. The electric models came with a telescoping flue and flue collar, so you could immediately make them appear to have been "intstalled".

Sure wish I knew who made this awesome space-man fire! I've also seen a white one of these. Behind it is a red Majestic Firehood, with a shortened flue with wind cap, set on a wheeled dolly, for patio use. One of the late 60s Sunset Fireplaces books showed a bunch of bizarrely cool custom fires, the designer's name escapes me, but he did a few spherical fires, including two suspended without chains for a California home and built so they can swing like a pendulum in the event of a quake!

Sorry, but I can't resist... No thread on "cool" fireplaces of ANY kind can be without THE coolest vintage fire ever built. Preside over this array of funky fires as varied and colorful as the myriad jewel-bright cocktails that have been enjoyed in your presence, O grand fire god with glowing eyes!

RR
T

A "chiminea" is a Mexican thing - it's a pottery outdoor fireplace, usually a bulbous lower part with a short smokestack top and a round, mouth-like opening. They're a trendy patio accessory right now and the term has become widespread, thus this seller called theirs (a firehood type, could be any brand) this. The best terms I've found for searching eBay or Craigslist are "mod fireplace" and, better, "retro fireplace". You can also try searching malm fireplace, preway fireplace or majestic fireplace (though Majestic made lots of very ordinary fireplace inserts, too). If you don't mind driving to pick one up, or offering to pay (likely high) shipping costs, I suggest using Anthony Damata's Craigslist multi-search tool - set it for "actual listings", type in "mod fireplace" and go.

UB

On 2008-06-04 13:59, Rob Roy wrote:
Or a "chiminea."

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/grd/701454624.html

$50. Shit!

RR

On 2008-06-04 16:08, TorchGuy wrote:
A "chiminea" is a Mexican thing - it's a pottery outdoor fireplace, usually a bulbous lower part with a short smokestack top and a round, mouth-like opening. They're a trendy patio accessory right now and the term has become widespread, thus this seller called theirs (a firehood type, could be any brand) this. The best terms I've found for searching eBay or Craigslist are "mod fireplace" and, better, "retro fireplace". You can also try searching malm fireplace, preway fireplace or majestic fireplace (though Majestic made lots of very ordinary fireplace inserts, too). If you don't mind driving to pick one up, or offering to pay (likely high) shipping costs, I suggest using Anthony Damata's Craigslist multi-search tool - set it for "actual listings", type in "mod fireplace" and go.

You didn't click on the link did you?

C

$50. Shit!

Took the word right out of my mouth.

BS

On 2008-06-04 13:59, Rob Roy wrote:
Or a "chiminea."

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/grd/701454624.html

Uh, race ya to it.

That is if I had a place to put it, I need something a little slimmer. Smokin' deal though, NPI.

RR

I have the room but don't want to drive the 6 hours to get it if it is even still available. I also saw one at Urban Ore in Berkeley on Memorial Day for $350.

~R

T

Yeah, fifty bucks is pretty darn good for that. It's coated in porcelain enamel, so (as long as you cover the top of the flue pipe when not in use) it won't rust if you use it as a patio fireplace. And the metal will radiate heat well. These wide models with the swept-back opening provide a view of the fire from all sides, left to right, and this one has the screen.

K

On 2008-06-03 22:29, TIKI DAVID wrote:
i have this in my booth at a retro mall here in cleveland,i have got $795.00 on it.i've seen them for as much as $1500.00 mine is a real wood burner,so you can do wood,gas or electric

I have one of these at home, and have sold them in my shop from time to time. Mine is manufactured by Preway. It has an electric log set with a heater and blower attatched so it throws off some pretty good heat. I can burn in it if I want, but why take the chances of ruining this bad boy! I see the Preways on Ebay now and then, sometimes realistically priced, but not always...
K.

TD

this one is a preway also. i love it i have another at home on my deck ,perfect 50's60's tiki/shag look.

T

I did look at the link. Technically, a chiminea isn't ANY outdoor fireplace - it's a very specific type, made of pottery, and usually rather small. The fireplace in the SF Craigslist link is an enameled metal one, and these were intended for indoor use. But fifty bucks is dirt cheap for one of these! I once considered buying a Malm Zircon or Lancer new, but I can't remember what they charged. I eventually found a used 30" dia. Malm Fire Count (they made 24" and 36" models too) in burnt orange for $200.

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2008-06-06 05:41 ]

MR

I've got 2. One with the concrete bottom in it. I installed it in my patio room. The other is set up strictly for gas. It's enamel orange (50/50 bar orange) with 5 feet of chimney. I paid $130 for the first one (a rip off considering the condition I bought it in) and $90 for the orange one. I'm still deciding where to put the orange one. I may build a little roofed seating area and set it there. I've always loved these things. I've seen some weirder ones in thrift stores in El Cajon in the past. My favorite color is the avocado one. I think Malm made them. The only tough part when buying these is usually they are missing the screen. They are also (usually) an odd size chimney by today's standards. It took some $ and trouble to adapt my indoor one to a chimney penetration. Still, they just look so cool. In San Diego they will not insure installation of these type fire places as they are considered a hazard. I believe that is for the older types. Just don't get your fire too big and they are plenty safe.
I'll try and remember to take some pics.
Cheers.

i always burn the manufactured logs,they burn steady and complete. and not to hot. just shop vac the next morning.

T

Malm is still in the biz of making funky fireplaces. Majestic has moved on to more modern fireplace stuff.

Here are some Craigslist links, for anyone looking for one of these:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fur/679949965.html
Red/black, similar to a Malm Lancer but with a square base. Electric with log and fake flue. $150

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/hsh/718806149.html
Kind of a tan color. Majestic "Firehood", not Preway. Firehoods have the three-sided hearth edge. Make offer - wants at least $300

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/fur/715807025.html
Electric wall-hung fire with log (may have heater) - this could be tiki-fied fairly easily. $85

http://detroit.craigslist.org/fur/717405376.html
Majestic "Regency" in tan-gold color. Made to burn wood. $75 obo, this is an excellent price!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/clt/707269706.html
Central NJ. Preway swept-back opening fire, similar to Malm Baroness/Zircon, gloss black. Has been converted to hold a propane-fueled gas log, but can burn wood. Bought new in '73. $200

Note: Most (but not all) Preway fires have a shiny steel collar at the base of the flue, clearly stamped "PREWAY". This makes them easy to spot.

Hi! I just got an orange one with a square black bottom-don't see one quite like it here but similar. Someone has added a black front and door to convert it to an ersatz wood stove. I need to use this to heat the garage I have to live in since my house burned. I also plan to get an infrared heater. Do you think it will do the job? Looks so cool., I would love to use it. Is there some way to make it more efficient-insert/refractory brick? Do I need to worry about it? Bad news is it's northern Michigan. Good news is I paid 25 bucks.

On 2011-04-16 20:53, garageband wrote:
Hi! I just got an orange one with a square black bottom-don't see one quite like it here but similar. Someone has added a black front and door to convert it to an ersatz wood stove. I need to use this to heat the garage I have to live in since my house burned. I also plan to get an infrared heater. Do you think it will do the job? Looks so cool., I would love to use it. Is there some way to make it more efficient-insert/refractory brick? Do I need to worry about it? Bad news is it's northern Michigan. Good news is I paid 25 bucks.

Welcome to Tiki Central garageband. Did you say your house burned down already? Yeah, OK, I think your main concern is to make sure what ever you use that it's safe. Stylish is good, safe is essential. :wink:

Malm is still very much in business at the original location in santa rosa, Ca.
It is a family business & I talked to one of the (super nice)owners who kindly gave me a tour of the facilities last year, including the manufacturing area. They have most of the same styles, but not available in all the original colors, like avacado green, orange, ect.
unfortunately these fireplaces are pretty expensive, but you can get replacement parts like screens & flues. I was told occasionally they will get vintage trade-ins that you can get for less & the occasional deal on a scratch-n-dent models as well, but don't hold your breath.
He asked me if i had seen the article in the new york times about jonathan adler, with a large picture that featured one of his fp's prominently? I told him no, & he told me he got around 100 calls after the article came out.
I mentioned that he should advertise in atomic ranch or similar publications & he would probably get an even greater response. He said he would look into it.

How cool to tour Malm!
Thank you for the welcome. Fire was unrelated to my woodburner that I had. I don't see anything dangerous about this vintage fireplace-I'm just wondering how to optimize efficiency. I will try to remember to get a pic of it when I go back to my place to work tomorrow. Maybe someone can tell me what kind this is.

Hi!

Speaking of shag style fireplaces I was wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these beauties before and would know who manufactured it?

I found the image on the web - but the website i found it on belongs to a store that's been closed for a while. Tried emailing them but never heard back - so i was wondering if anyone here might have any idea. Cheers!

[ Edited by: Atomic Zombie Bastard 2011-07-28 03:34 ]

very cool. never seen that version before, but I really like it.
here are a few pics of a unique concrete fireplace I saw at a groovy 60's codo/loft I was interested in possibly purchasing in Phoenix a while back, complete with sunken conversation pit. @ 966 square feet, mostly vertical, it was too small for me & all my crap. so, sadly, I had to pass.

other features included a lava rock wall, small indoor waterfall & koi pond. apparently it was featured in a 1966 playboy article on ultimate bachelor pads. It had amazing potential, but again, WAY too small for me.

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2011-07-28 11:22 ]

Check this out......
I just scored one of these,brutalist fire place

along with a brutalist crednza

and the brutalist wall hanging 'DISC BAR'

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2011-07-29 13:40 ]

whoa! amazing finds. I thought I had seen most of the Paul Evans Brutalist line. had no idea there was a fireplace. just when you think you've seen everything...

Wow! it must have been gutting to pass up that place!

Pages: 1 33 replies