Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

vibraphone

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

T

On 2007-04-17 14:52, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2007-04-17 12:54, lucas vigor wrote:
He he he!

No Tikiyaki, we are not really giving him the boot. He actually plays steel guitar-and as much as I would like to see the mean old man kicked to the curb, I am afraid I am stuck with him!

Plus, he started the band, so it just would not be right-

If you can make it to our upcoming gig, the Tiki treasures/polynesian pinups, you will see for yourself what a creep he really is!

He is the mean, unfriendly one-I am the nice, open-minded non- opinionated one, and Palika, our uke/singer just IS-as much like Mr. Rourke as any human can be!

Maybe he needs some pakalolo to mello him out :)~~~

yea, a good steel player is hard to find. I just had Gary from the Blue Hawaiians in to play some tracks on the T.O record. amazing.

I've been hearin about you guys for a while. I think I need to check out the scene.

TM

On 2007-04-17 14:54, tikiyaki wrote:

He he he!

No Tikiyaki, we are not really giving him the boot. He actually plays steel guitar-and as much as I would like to see the mean old man kicked to the curb, I am afraid I am stuck with him!

If you can make it to our upcoming gig, the Tiki treasures/polynesian pinups, you will see for yourself what a creep he really is!

He is the mean, unfriendly one-I am the nice, open-minded non- opinionated one, and Palika, our uke/singer just IS-as much like Mr. Rourke as any human can be!

yea, a good steel player is hard to find. I just had Gary from the Blue Hawaiians in to play some tracks on the T.O record. amazing.

I've been hearin about you guys for a while. I think I need to check out the scene.

Sounds like we need to invite you to Bong's garage, where we practice! Hit that one footer!

Seriously, though, Bong knows Gary. He came over one time and hung out, and he came to one of our gigs-the guy rocks on steel! Bong is getting there too. All joking aside, he has been knocking them out of the park lately! Guy is getting really good.

On a side note, I do a lot of straight exotica in my own home studio-everything I use is acoustic, except for some keyboard-I have been getting a great tone on my upright bass recently, so we should record sometime. I play about 15 instruments at this point. Mostly I focus on bass, jazz guitar, drums and percusssion. I am going to bring some CDs to our next gig on the 28th, and pass them out to TC people. Hope to see you there! I like your stuff alot, by the way.

T

On 2007-04-17 15:58, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2007-04-17 14:54, tikiyaki wrote:

He he he!

Sounds like we need to invite you to Bong's garage, where we practice! Hit that one footer!

Seriously, though, Bong knows Gary. He came over one time and hung out, and he came to one of our gigs-the guy rocks on steel! Bong is getting there too. All joking aside, he has been knocking them out of the park lately! Guy is getting really good.

On a side note, I do a lot of straight exotica in my own home studio-everything I use is acoustic, except for some keyboard-I have been getting a great tone on my upright bass recently, so we should record sometime. I play about 15 instruments at this point. Mostly I focus on bass, jazz guitar, drums and percusssion. I am going to bring some CDs to our next gig on the 28th, and pass them out to TC people. Hope to see you there! I like your stuff alot, by the way.

thanx !

Righteous....I'm pretty much on MIDI for everything but the guitar and electric bass....So where's the Lucas Vigor solo exotica Album ?

I started doing exotica like 5 years ago. I only had a few tracks, but anyone I played them for told me that i need to do more, I guess because not many people are doing it, ad they liked what they heard. So, I just got into this idea of making a record.

I'd love to hang in Bong's garage and check out a jam.

I'd like to get down to the 28th show...where is it ?

TM

The gig is "tiki treasures and polynesian pinups", and I believe it is at a bar called Goodfellas in Rancho Cucamunga. There should be a thread in Tiki Events with that title, probably down a few threads from the top. The band is just a small part of the event. There will be artists there, and rockabilly and burlesque pin-up girls signing autographs. Should be pretty cool.
By the way, Love the banner for your project! Very old school!

Hereis the thread with the Pinup party poster. I wish I could go...just too much to do and not enough time to do it. Hope to make it down again sometime when you play Lucas. :)

I can play one line from "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. Not ready for the road yet...LOL

Never giving up is a good thing. I am happy to announce that I found a young guy who is studying music and plays the marimba and vibraphone. Had my first lesson today on CoCo. Luckily, several of the books I purchased were good ones, and I now have my assignment for the next month. Scales, basic theories, reading music...I got my work cut out for me.

I also bought a conga drum so I can do a little practicing on rhythm too. It's a bute...I can hardly wait to get it. I am naming him MAMBO CONGA. The word mambo (conversation with the gods) is the name of a priestess in Haitian Voodoo, derived from the language of the African slaves who were imported into the Caribbean. Here is a picture of Mambo Conga (he is fashionably wearing the "Tropical Fusion" finish).

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 15:10 ]

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 15:26 ]

I eventually want to do a little clean-up on CoCo....she is in pretty darned good condition for her age, but could use a spiffing up. I want to know what the best method would be and any chemicals to use on the silver-finish keys and the resonators? If anyone can help me with this I would sure appreciate it. :)

The wooden frame is painted and there are a few small places where the bare wood shows through....I am going to do my best to match up the paint and provide her with a little cover up to protect the exposed wood.

Finally the motor started working...YEAH. Practicing scales and just ordered some muscial note flash-cards to help me learn to read music. I just got a nice little portable electronic metronome, so will be ready when I can add some rhythm to my practice. CDEFGABC :music:

Hey VampiressRN how goes learning the vibes? How challenging has it been? I am going to be learning to play the vibraphone too. I have been a guitarist my entire life, so this is going to be different.

Sadly I must admit I am a musical failure. Despite my efforts to learn how to play the vibraphone I no longer have the time or effort at this juncture in my life to learn how to read music. I am having to de-clutter my home as my Mom is coming to live with me, so my beauties are up for sale. If anyone is interested please let me know...you can pm me or email me at [email protected]. I live by Sacramento, so you would need to pick up.

1950's Ludwig Vibraphone, great condition $400.
New Congas/Bongos with stand & drum chair $400.
Electric Base Guitar $30.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies