Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

vibraphone

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

I have always wanted to learn how to play the vibraphone. Is there anyone on this board that plays and can give me some advice on getting started? I just purchased some instructional books and would be interested in purchasing a used vibraphone that is in good to excellent condition. :)

MH

Yes, Mr. Ho plays! Check out http://www.waitiki.com

You can find stuff on Ebay usually. Try malletshop.com too. Good luck and okonkuluku!

Okonkulukú,

Mr. Ho of WAITIKI

[ Edited by: Mr. Ho 2007-01-11 15:44 ]

Thanks so much, will check that out. I figure it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks....and why let your desires pass you buy just because your life is over-loaded with too many activities. I could pound away on the Vibes everynight for a few and heck....in 10 years I might be able to play. :D

T

Milt Jackson.

Cal Tjader.

Arthur Lyman.

and now: Vampiress.
Go for it.
Good luck.

Thanks for those names. I already have some Arthur Lyman, and I just ordered a Milt Jackson cd (per your reference). I also have a lot of Gary Burton CDs....not exotica but nice jazz work. Thanks for your encouragement. :)

Cal Tjader was one of the first people to mix jazz and Latin music.
He took a lot of heat for it early on, because this sort of fusion was frowned upon by jazz purists.

Now, his Soul Sauce record (and it's title track) are classics.

He also did two rarely discussed Exotica records, called Several Shades of Jade and Breeze From The East. You can get both of them on one CD if you poke around.

I have heard of Cal before and tried to find something of his on Amazon, but nothing was available. I don't do Pay Pal, but if you find any place that has Cal's CDs where I can use credit...I am good to go with a link if have one. Thanks so much. :)

Puzzled by the very idea that Amazon would have no Cal, I did a search, and found plenty, including Soul Sauce for $7.89 and Jade/Breeze for $10.98... have fun....!

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-7559629-3220908?ie=UTF8&keywords=cal%20tjader&tag=tikiroadtrip-20&Go.x=0&index=blended&Go=Go&Go.y=0&link%5Fcode=qs

Yeah! I Love Waitiki Mr Ho! In fact I'm going to Oasis7 thread immediately to recommend you be approached to play the event!

Vamp, I've always wanted to be a vibist too! Loads of great players out there. Some of my favorites in addition to Milt and Cal not mentioned here yet...

Roy Ayers

Red Norvo

Bobby Hutcherson

Dave Samuels

and of course Lionel Hampton

You should enjoy this thread on ALLABOUTJAZZ... plenty of recommended listening...

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=6525

great posts...thanks for all the intel

I just got my Vibraphone instruction books from Amazon today. Just need the instrument...(checking piggy bank) :) Actually I may head over to the new (to my local shopping area) Guitar Center and see if they have anything I can practice on.

D

I highly recommend the album "Mambo With Tjader" by Cal Tjader. An excellent set of retro latin/jazz tunes!! That one is on heavy rotation in Digitiki's own quiet village at the moment!

I must have not done a good time searching Amazon the first time....just bought a cart load of Tjader. Thanks everyone for your help.

I went by the new Guitar Center today, but they didn't have any vibe/mariba type instruments, so will check out some other music stores. I think a small instrument to work through my instructional books....and then once I can play something decent....pull out that credit card and go for the genuine item.

The books I got look really good.
~Primary Handbook for Mallets (with a beginning play along cd) by Garwood Whaley
~Modern School for Xylophone/Marimba/Vibraphone by Morris Goldenberg
~Berklee Practice Method by Ed Saindon
~Four-Mallet Marimba Playing by Nancy Zellsman

I am going to look for a DVD instruction program too.

Mr. Ho....you've got mail. :)

Just got 2 DVDs so hope those will help me. I am not always self-taught by a book, so having various training options will be great.

So Hodadhank....I'll let ya know how things go once I get some kind of an instrument. At least I have the references to help the total novice. Maybe you might make your dream come true also. I don't expect to be great, but would be happy to be a decent player. :)

I've got a purchase request into The Mallet Shop for a Musser used vibrphone that is listed in excellent condition. Fingers crossed.....hope I hear from them today.

Not exotica, but check out The Modern Jazz Quartet. 'Concorde' is one of my faves

Will do....thanks. :)

Got an email today, seems like the musser I am interested in might be sold...DARN. The other option in the same price-range and similar condition is a Ludwig, so I asked if they might come down a couple of hundred on it. Any thoughts from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Mallet Shop Ludwig Vibraphone

TM

Vampiress, I am no expert, but I have played vibes before (college jazz band) and marimba in high school.

Can I give you a honest piece of advice? If you have no prior musical experience, get an electric keyboard and learn the basics before you dive into mallet percussion. I have a very good reason for that: Anything under 5000 dollars will probably not be the kind of machine that travels well. These are fairly intricate machines, and the ones under 5000 are just not all that road worthy. That means they cannot be played professionally. So if you spend almost 2000 dollars for one, and then find out that you are really, really good and want to stick with it, and join a band, you will then have to spend another 5000 to get a "real" vibraphone.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Before I get jumped on for this, I am a regular on Talkbass.com, which is a bass player's forum just like this one. This is the same advice most people give when a beginner decides to take up a really expensive instrument. They almost always say "spend no more then 300 dollars". I realize you can buy exactly one rosewood marimba bar for that amount, but you might want to seriously consider just getting an electric keyboard first.

Another thing, if you are really jonesing for a mallet instrument: Go to tijuana and buy a cheap fully chromatic marimba. Practice on that first, then move up to the big leagues.

I do appreciate your advice and know where you are coming from. As a child I had years of organ lessons and my parents bought me a really nice Thomas organ to practice on. I was pretty good on it and did a few concerts. But like all kids, I didn't stick with it and grew into other interests in life. In the back of my mind and heart, I have always yearned to play the vibes, so throwing a couple of thousand at it for me isn't going to be a waste. I need to play on a fairly decent vibe, and I do not expect to be going on tour any time soon. :D

I have to learn all over again how to read music and how to play off of a score, so I have a long way to go. If I ever get good enough to play with a band, I will probably invest in a better instrument, but for now I am investing in my personal enjoyment. Plus remember....I got that full time job as a nurse that I gotta stick with till I'm around 75 or I won't get all my social security to support my extravagant lifestyle....LOL :)

Keep thos opinions coming....I love them all. :music:

Just listened to my first Cal Tjader CD (Modern Mambo Quintet) and I just have to say...WOW!!! :D

I did buy the used Ludwig Vibrphone, so expect it to be delivered in another week. Just changed my den, previously known as the "library" into the "music" room. Once my baby is all set up, will post a picture. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.

JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-01-28 13:08 ]

Now, hurry up and get good on it! My band can always use a vibe player!!

S
squid posted on Mon, Jan 29, 2007 2:18 PM

On 2007-01-28 13:05, VampiressRN wrote:

I did buy the used Ludwig Vibrphone, so expect it to be delivered in another week. Just changed my den, previously known as the "library" into the "music" room. Once my baby is all set up, will post a picture. :)

YAY!!!! Go for it. Even in today's jazz scene (Well, in LA anyway) vibes are not very common so the more the merrier. With your keyboard training it will be like remembering how to ride a bike...OK, maybe a unicycle, but you'll do it. Best of luck!

BTW: Musser was purchased by Ludwig at some point in time (maybe 1960s?). The Ludwig instrument you're getting may actually be a Musser.

[ Edited by: squid 2007-01-29 14:21 ]

Thanks for the encouragement squid. Unicycle is more like it for me....I may have to strap on some elbow and knee pads. :D Thanks for the info on Ludwig.

Sooo VampiressRN played the organ when she was a wee girl? That's too awesome! I picture you as a little girl dressed in a complete vampira out fit mashing away on a huge pipe organ. Big dark spooky house on a hill shaking to the rafters with the music! (The theme form the Ghost and Mr. Chicken)

I can't wait for Tiki Oasis this summer to see you do a big Vibraphone solo!

Too funny.....I won't be playing Stairway to Heaven for about another 10 years!!! Thanks for that peak inside your tikaotic mind Sharkey...don't ever let the psychiatrists in there...or we won't have your fabulous tiki art. :D

Hey lucas....that Tijuana marimba idea might just be worth a shot. :)

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 9:33 PM

Hey Vampi-

Try this for some inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXCRnkYZNg

HOLYCRAPOLA!!!! That is an absolute hoot. They were amazing...just imagine those kids in about 10 years if they stick with it. A friend sent me a video file of a 3 or 4 year-old playing the vibes. I will have to get a clean website set up and post it there. Hard to belive they are that good. Thanks for the link...I am grinning ear to ear. :)

I got my vibe.....still in the box...hope to get it together this weekend. :drink:

Vibe is unpacked....but helllllllooooo....no instructions on how to put it together. SIGH :( I have a couple of things to unwrap yet and if there aren't any instructions, then I am not going to be very happy. Does anyone know how to put these together....it must be on the older side as it has a wooden frame versus a metal one. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Vampy, you can do it!

I assembled this entire luxury kitchen (including appliances) in one afternoon using only a tiny deformed allen wrench from Ikea.

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Vampy, here is a sample from the Drum Corps that I use to be with. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vCijHU_gEY It's not "Lounge" music, but I thought it might be inspirational. When I was in the Corps. The Mallet Section played "Variations on Leave it to Beaver." It was a hoot, because it was far enough away from the melody that people didn't immediately recognize it, but they would say, "wait a minute, that's Leave it to Beaver." I wish you the best with "Tickling the Ivory." (Mallets are close enough to the pianos for that phrase to be used):)
...Liquidspaceman, over and out

Holy Cow....I better quit pissing an moaning and get my arse in there to give it a try. One more drink and I am on my way. :drink:

I'm too late for this to be an alternative choice, but here's links to MIDI Mallet Controllers:

MalletKat
MalletKat Express
Marimba Lumina
XyloSynth

MIDI controllers allow you to trigger multiple sound sources and play through headphones so you don't piss off your neighbors.

Wow. LiqSp....that was inspiring. She is quite talented. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Forgot to say...Hodad...your kitchen is beautiful....I wouldn't even be able to get the stuff out of the packaging in a week. :D

Hey Freddie....thanks for those links....if I get some mula in the futre...that might be a good way to go. Much appreciated. :music:

On 2007-02-18 18:28, VampiressRN wrote:
Hodad...your kitchen is beautiful...

Just kidding Vampy. My real kitchen looks like this

Yeah...I figured as much....the picture was just too perfect...but the drive-in is looking good in your kitchen....do you you have much traffic with that. :wink:

OK...after months of laying on the floor in pieces, the vibraphone is starting to look alive. I got most of the pieces together (with phone help from the Mallet Shop people). Spent 2 hours fussing with it this morning. May have it together and good to go by the end of this weekend. Let me just mention that I broke several nails and a couple of pieces don't quite line up....wish me luck, I never was any good with puzzles. :music:

Break a Mallet, kiddo!

And let us know when the MP3's are ready -- nothing like cool vibes on a hot summer day... (Why not start practicing with some of Barry's "Thunderball" vibe riffs, eh?)

Cheers,
SOK

I love it....Thunderball would be awesome to vibe to. I am really thinking out of the box here...and also gonna explore some of Led Zeppelin's works (the mystical sounding pieces). I have a very long way to go...as I have to learn how to read music, plus there is a ton of stuff to know about the vibes. I found a vibraphone message board and hoping to gain some knowledge from there. Those posters are very advanced, so most of it doesn't make sense to me now, but maybe some day it will.

All I need to do now is get a music stand and find an expert to provide me with private lessons. :)

Just my two cents but in case you hadn't thought about it, start out playing with two mallets first, then when you've mastered that and have a good repertoire of songs under your...well, your mallets, gradually get into playing with four.

Some other artists with excellent vibes players to look out/listen for are George Shearing and Earl Bostic. Listen to the marimba solo on Starbuck's 'Moonlight Feels Right', as well. That solo always floors me.

All the best!

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I agree that starting out with two mallets is going to be best for me...baby steps. I got some networking going on for instructors, so hope that pans out soon. Here is some pictures of my baby...it is a Leedy & Ludwig and is 1950ish.

S

Awesome! I love the deco styling. Congrats on figuring out your puzzle.

Vampy, when you master the vibes, give me a call, you'll have a place waiting for you in the Tikiyaki Orchetra :)

TM

N0 WAY Tikiyaki, The Smokin' Menehunes have first dibs! Just look back a few posts and you will see.....

(But don't say anything, because Tiki Bong has no idea that he is kicked out of the band yet!)

LMAO....OK...I figure I should be a fairly decent player in about 20 years (will ya'll still have an opening for me...LOL). I'll probaby only be wheelchair bound then, not yet on life-support....how fun is that!!!

I gotta say, the baby does look good in my art deco music room. It's a good fit...she needs a little touch-up here and there, but gonna wait and be sure I have her all put together correctly before I get her spruced up. Thank goodness the keys have the letters stamped on them...HAHAHA...that is so handy. :)

I'm gonna call her CoCo (in honor of my beloved Chow...may she rest in piece and feel the good vibes I will try to impart). :music:

T

On 2007-04-16 21:54, VampiressRN wrote:

I'm gonna call her CoCo (in honor of my beloved Chow...may she rest in piece and feel the good vibes I will try to impart). :music:

Great name....My fiancee's name is Coco ! I have a song called "Koko Sufu" posted on my site.

Lucas Vicor....the Ku's have summoned. Sound the drums of war !!! LOL...

what's up with your vibes player, you really givin' him the axe ?

Anyhow, I doubt I'll be able to put together 10 people to play my stuff...I'm gonna try, but being in a band with 3 other people was hard....an entire ENSEMBLE ?

Man, stress city !

He he he!

No Tikiyaki, we are not really giving him the boot. He actually plays steel guitar-and as much as I would like to see the mean old man kicked to the curb, I am afraid I am stuck with him!

Plus, he started the band, so it just would not be right-

If you can make it to our upcoming gig, the Tiki treasures/polynesian pinups, you will see for yourself what a creep he really is!

He is the mean, unfriendly one-I am the nice, open-minded non- opinionated one, and Palika, our uke/singer just IS-as much like Mr. Rourke as any human can be!

T

On 2007-04-17 12:54, lucas vigor wrote:
He he he!

No Tikiyaki, we are not really giving him the boot. He actually plays steel guitar-and as much as I would like to see the mean old man kicked to the curb, I am afraid I am stuck with him!

Plus, he started the band, so it just would not be right-

If you can make it to our upcoming gig, the Tiki treasures/polynesian pinups, you will see for yourself what a creep he really is!

He is the mean, unfriendly one-I am the nice, open-minded non- opinionated one, and Palika, our uke/singer just IS-as much like Mr. Rourke as any human can be!

Maybe he needs some pakalolo to mello him out :)~~~

I've been hearin about you guys for a while. I think I need to check out the scene.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies