Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

we need membership cards

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

with tamper resistant hollograms.

I would be willing to offer specials to TC card holders, and think that other places might even too.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 4:20 PM

and a secret handshake :)

But the membership card does sound like a good idea.

J

But would you restrict the cards to Grand Members only, or people who have a minimum number of posts, or have been members for a certain length of time, or are you willing to give discounts to every person who signs up on TC just to get the card, but never contributes to the forum? This takes us back down a very familiar and recently travelled road.

Ive got secret agent credentials. one could send away for them to Mai Tai records a few years ago.

D

i think Robertiki means membership cards, for his new bar, ** Thatch.**

though a secret handshake might be fun...

cya Jan 19/20@ Thatch!

I think membership cards would be fun - Boston Red sox offer membership cards ie> Red Sox Nation - it's a great way to declare your solidarity and your faith!

• simply another way to create financial support for the site creators, but does offer offer occasional discounts for tickets and merchandise, and special opportunities.

Restaurants/ Tiki Bars, clubs across the world could maybe offer a % discount for those that "flash" the card. TC would benefit from the minimal fee for purchase! Grand Members might be honored with a "gold" card ( simply a color difference) Clubs or restaurants that "accept" the card would benefit from adding the participant to their mailing list and ultimately offer incentives or discounts for repeated visits with the card!
    I like the idea and see it as another method to subsidize the ongoing costs of this fantastic site!~
    I'd be proud to carry a TC card and a great incentive for restaurants, lounges, stores and artists to join in on the Tiki "wave"

The card is ultimately a feel good kinda "certificate" for the members. Businesses have the right to accept it, honor it and offer priveleges at their own level. And lets face it - if there are 5000 + of us TC members - what is the odds of all of us showing up at "Thatch" on a given evening to demand our TC discount. and even if we did Roberttiki would be come a rich man overnight! The reality of our physical locations of residence limit the liability of any instance of overuse. The smart businessman would build the discount into his expectations!

Visit my Online Art Gallery at
jonmooers.com
Just moved back to Amesbury, Ma

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-01-13 05:32 ]

I want it all.....the membership card, the secret handshake, the tiki super-power ring, the discount at tiki lounges around the world, and our own Saturday morning tiki cartoons. :D

Me too, cartoon tiki network, although as an avid cartoon watcher for the past 40 yrs. I have seen many cartoons with tikis in them. What would also be cool is with membership, we could have special tiki cruses and tiki adventure tours. blah blah blah

On 2007-01-13 10:55, VampiressRN wrote:
...the tiki super-power ring,...

Sorry, the rings had to be discontinued. There were a couple of instances of interns in the Super Secret Tiki Laboratory getting zapped and subsequently lost in parallel dimensions. There were forms to fill out, investigations, visits from the FBI, it was was too much trouble to keep the research going once word got out to the other interns because now they didn't want to work in the Super Secret Tiki Lab anymore...... Well, the rest is history, and the subject of two after-school specials and one movie of the week. We never did find anyone willing to pick up the book deal, but there is still hope.

Anyway, the cartoons are on order, we'll get back to you on the rest.

Want membership card.

This was given to me at a Tiki Oasis a few years ago:

I don't remember the details. It was all a bit hazy...

Nevertheless.... Neener Neener!!!

...and and an exclusive TC Fez!

Why?

T

On 2007-01-13 15:06, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Why?

Why Not?

obviously from your posts, most of you think the idea is a joke. My only thought was that if only 2000 of the 5700 members of TC sent Hanford $5 for a "card" - it would be a tremendous support for the effort and costs that are associated with TC. The discounts that could be realized by a card bearer would certainly far... offset the membership cost or card cost. The majority of the members that opted for the card - would probably never flash it for a discount. This whole TC thing is free to the majority of the users - only a few choose "Grand Member status". Those that know about bandwidth and site hosting realize the monthly costs associated with creating a site like this - never mind the personal time and commitment of the creators and staff of the site! The card is not a unique idea - its called marketing. In the words of Forrest Gump - "That's all I've got to say about that!"

jonmooers.com

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-01-13 16:26 ]

Got mine!

T

Sorry, I really did mean why not? A lot of the Web Shops associated with Tiki Central already give a discount on their items. It would certainly be easier for them to have Members use some type of identification beyond our Tiki Central Identity. Tiki Farms rule is that you have to be a member here for 3 months before you are able to take advantage of their discount, other's rules may vary. The problem, as I see it, of having a membership card here is that someone has to create it, number it, collect the money to fund Tiki Central, mail it, etc. Not a bad idea but it's all about someone else doing the work and everyone being somewhat happy with the result. So membership cards why not?

Tikisgrl

I'm still upset about the Ohana Hut, I'm not ready for this. :wink:

P

The minute you start to legitimize something, the artists start leaving.
We don't want that do we?

Maybe people should just start intoducing thye selves!!

I'll start.

Hello,

My name is Bamboo Ben and I'm not afraid to hide!

Who are you?

Tiki Royale.
Very nice to meet you...
Aloha,
:tiki:

H

The idea is tops JP, when I first posted I was being a smart-ass (secret handshake :) )but I did think it was a good idea. Sorting out the logistics (who handles the paperwork, mailing out the cards, keeping the database of card holders so that suppliers can cross-reference members cards to make sure they're legit) are all issues that would need to be addressed.

Ultimately it will be Hanfords call, is the time and effort worth the extra $$$ to him to run TC?

Somebody with money (the uber'-rich) needs to start TIKI TV, a network station for the tiki obsessed. Think of the fabulous shows that could ensue...

CREATIVE CARVING (a reality show that takes us to the back yards of TCers for all day fun-fests...watch the knives, scrapers, dremels, saws, and blood fly as the elusive tiki mysteriously appears from a wooden log)

INTERNATIONAL HAPPY HOUR (an off-shoot of our very own event....enter the houses of the master drinkers, watch them make up their grog and umbrella enhanced drinks, then pose their concoctions for a digital image to post...it's all in the staging you know)

THE HOME-BAR SHOW (join us on a tour of TC members's homes and back-yards as they share their secrets for blending bamboo, tapia, thatch, glass floats and more....as bars take over first one room, then another, and another, and lagoons spring up in back yards, all enhanced by the ever-present tiki figure)

ARTISTS ON PARADE (you will laugh, you will shout, you will gasp in aw....of the fabulous art the tiki community offers up to the world....pictures, jewelry, home decor....we got it all and at prices anyone can afford all the way to give me a moment to contact my loan officer)

Love the card Hakalugi & Stiki Tiki....very kewl indeed and exactly what we need. Sorry to hear about the ring fiasco. :D

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.

JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-01-14 10:15 ]

Ojaitimo checking in as well. If we do have cards THEY NEED PHOTOS! like more of your TC posts.

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his life plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-14 10:34 ]

K

On 2007-01-13 21:02, RevBambooBen wrote:

I'll start.

Hello,

Who are you?

Aloha to you, Bamboo Ben!
Kikekeki checking in from the Sunshine State!
By the way, how's that Mai Kai shirt and pants set holding up?
:D

On 2007-01-14 18:11, kikekeki wrote:

On 2007-01-13 21:02, RevBambooBen wrote:

I'll start.

Hello,

Who are you?

Aloha to you, Bamboo Ben!
Kikekeki checking in from the Sunshine State!
By the way, how's that Mai Kai shirt and pants set holding up?
:D

Aloha Kikekekikieekiikkkee,

We're freezing our asses off here!!

The Mai Kai Outfit is on hold till we thaw out a bit!

On another note...How bout something like the TURTLES??

So..if a TC memeber asks if you're a TC and you don't respond, you owe the ass-kee a drink!?

Or, ask if they are TC and if they hesitate, they lose!?

Is this De Ja Vu??

Is this De Ja Vu??

T

On 2007-01-12 16:13, Robertiki wrote:
with tamper resistant hollograms.

I would be willing to offer specials to TC card holders, and think that other places might even too.

Well, I was going to offer to do this, but it appears that a photo card printer (without the hologram) is around $1,000.00, not including any blanks.

I do have a fancy dancy button making kit and lots of blanks that are going unused. I see that round hologram stickers with custom text are .50 each in quantities of 100+.

http://www.securityhologram.com/genhologram.php?addnumber=1&shape=round&number=TIKI9999&text1=TIKI&text2=CENTRAL&text3=OHANA&text4=THATCH&text5=TIKI&text6=CENTRAL&text7=OHANA&text8=THATCH&text9=TIKI&text10=CENTRAL

Would that help?

[ Edited by: Tolovana 2007-01-14 20:10 ]

On 2007-01-14 19:45, sneakyjack wrote:
Is this De Ja Vu??

You bet your sweet ass it is!

OK..... I have a smart ass remark as well as a serious question:

Since I have been drinking, I will keep the smart ass remark for another post and go straight to the almost serious question.

Is the idea here to make a "membership" card that identifies someone as being a TC member when they are off-line? Or is the idea to make a "benefit" card that would get you cool swag from hip vendors?

Because...... If the goal is to make a mebership card it would be as simple as someone making the 'official membership card art' and making it availble to download and print. You can be an Official Beach Bum by downloading a certificate from Beach Bum Berry's website if you want to get an idea of what I mean.

But, if the goal it to make a benefit card that gets you something, then you have to keep up the card, memebership, getting someone to offer up swag to card members, etc. That becomes a real nightmare because you can't just get Ray or Martiki to offer up a discounted drink with the card because that would exclude everyone outside of California. Same goes for the Mai-Kai as that would exclude everyone outside of Florida. Long story short (too late) how would that kind of benefit card actually benefit anyone outside of the people making the money off of the initial fee of the card. And if that is the only benefit of the card, we are back to the first option of a Membership card that simply identifies TC Ohana when they are off-line.

OK, that is all I have to say on that. I am going back to my Mai-Tai now..... :drink:

So - I said I wasn't gonna chime in again on this but - I feel compelled to react one more time, just so that when I do meet each of you in person at up-coming events or in daily life and I introduce myself as Jpmartdog on tikicentral, you maybe won't groan to yourselves and think "Oh, you're the dope that wanted to have membership cards!" That said......
I think you all are taking the membership card/privilege card/certificate way too seriously. I never thought of it as anything more than an income line for TC. I recently purchased my Grand Membership and noticed that there are only about 270 Grand Members out of a total Membership of 5700. Granted that total membership has numerous one time visitors and defunct status members, but still I felt the number that contribute to the financing of this wonderful forum/lounge/club/storefront is small! I thought the Membership Card might be a fun way to offer support for the efforts/bandwidth/hosting/maintenance of Tiki Central.
I mentioned my RedSox Nation card. That card is just a 5.00 piece of plastic. I guess there is a way to get a discount on bleacher seats at Fenway but I will probably never try it. However, As I lived in Southern California for the last 5 years - it was a humerous way for me to pledge my support to my hometown team - 3500 miles away.
As far as a privilege card - whatever. That is up to the club owner/store owner/event organizer/artist. Let's face it most of the heavyweight artists, Tiki Moguls and Tiki prolifics probably get free drinks any way, when they walk into Thatch or other Tiki events...and well they should, it is their efforts that have added to the long life and new generation of Tiki loving. I never thought of the membership card as a way for me to get a discount here or there. If I owned a bar and Bamboo Ben, or Otto, or Humu-Humu, or Little Lost Tiki, or Dog-bytes walked in, I'd definitely buy them a drink. Just liked I'd give them a drink in my home. I'd like to share a drink with everyone of you, but probably wouldn't know you if I met you...that is until we dug deep into our personal history and recollected a few postings on TC. The card idea, was just a way to keep a hunk of plastic in your wallet, that might be recognized while you are pulling out your visa at the bar, or producing your license for the cop that just pulled you over ( he might be on Tiki Central also)
That credit card sized TC Member card was just a little way to keep a Tiki God in your pocket for a little good luck and maybe a little Tikicomraderie. Thank you Hanford for your efforts.
I dont want this posting to be a negative deja-vu of other threads in the past.
I am going back to my Kona coffee now.....

T

Hey JP DOG ...If I stumbled into your bar would you buy me a drink ......

sure would - I consider all of you good friends ....that's what is so cool about this site to me. I have less in common with some of my own family members. Sure, we may not all stay in touch, but I look forward to that fleeting moment that our paths cross.
Case in point. Tiki Oasis IV - I say hi to a couple in which I detect a french accent (my girlfriend loves to speak french and learn more) Turns out they are visiting from France They are Tiki-frog (Vincent) and his lovely wife Katell. They since have moved to Long Beach where I have had them at my house for two thanksgivings and Christmas. We are best of friends, Mai-Tai sharers and general confidants. Thank you TC, Tiki Oasis and Otto for my new best friends

On 2007-01-15 06:40, jpmartdog wrote:... I never thought of it as anything more than an income line for TC. ...

Cool! I like that idea. A Membeship card that you can flash like it was an FBI badge (or in any number of other silly ways).

OK - the details:

1 - You will need a database to keep up with the names, addresses, etc. Nothing fancy, just the basic information for what to print on the card and where to ship them. Maybe when they expire as well?

2 - You need art. You can't throw a mouse pad in here and not hit a dozen designers so this part should be easy. Well, actually this will be the hardest part, selecting just one artist. You could ask for donations of art and make several different cards, or make a different card each year to keep it interesting.

3 - You need a printer. You have two options: Print the cards on paper, cut them out and laminate them. OR, get an actuall card printer and print the same. The card printer costs more to setup in the beginning, but looks better and you eventually make your set up costs back and then make excellent profit in the long run.

4 - You need to send the cards to those that have purchased them. You would need a nice letter welcoming/thanking those that bought the card. You would need an envelope to hold the letter and the card. You would need a really big roll of stamps.

A few paper cuts later and a really dry tounge from licking all of those envelopes and the project should be well underway. There are a lot of smaller details to take care of, but that is your basic outline. Now, who wants to volunteer for which parts of this project starting with getting the go from Hanford?

The way most club memberships (and societies, such as the horticultural societies which I belong to) run is to have a calendar year-long membership for a set price (say $20.00 per person, $35 for a couple cohabitating). If you sign up in april, the membership still ends on New Year's day. This makes the logistics of tracking everyone's membership easier. I would just make the cards a part of being a TC Grand Member, offer some other bonuses in there as well. such as special mugs, discounts on tiki magazine or events, etc...

Even though I'm not a TC Grand Member, I think the "special" TC Ohana merchandise should be reserved for Grand Members first and foremost; as they pay to support the site, they should get the perks associated with it. Any left-overs could be sold and doled out by way of lottery to the general TC community.

If this were the case, you'd eliminate all the hassles like those with the Ohana Mug, and you'd get a bunch of new supporting members to boot. It's a win-win for everyone.

Make a membership "package" for Grand Members, with an official badge (like a backstage pass) and a button, offer a few perks, and I'm all in, where do I send my $20.00?

You guys are killing me!!!
Membership cards?!

How about this instead: If you wear an aloha shirt with tikis on it, you're in.

I don't have to show you guys no stinking badges!
(do I?)

On 2007-01-15 11:49, quickiki wrote:
Membership cards?!

(do I?)

Keep it simple. Just wear an Aloha shirt. An Aloha with tikis on it will get you bonus points.

G

On 2007-01-15 12:20, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2007-01-15 11:49, quickiki wrote:
Membership cards?!

(do I?)

Keep it simple. Just wear an Aloha shirt. An Aloha with tikis on it will get you bonus points.

Double bonus points if you offer to buy the drinks.

The point (as I see it, I realize I'm a newbie here, though) is to get a core community to support this forum, tiki events, and other group stuff. These things cost money. You can either charge $$$ at the door or for individual events or items,and pray that you have enough money in ticket sales to pay the guest speakers, performers, etc... or you can have a baseline of guaranteed money in memberships to use to fund these things partially in advance. Tiki Kiliki is the resident expert here on events planning I'd defer to her knowledge on the subject.
In some of my other clubs we use collected membership $$$ to put out a yearly book or calendar ( I think a TC Ohana members calendar is a great idea. how about art and recipes? ) Some of the membership money could also be used to pay for guest speakers or performers at Hukilau or other core events.

My personal idea is a Custom TC Ohana Tiki Mug inscribed with your own TC nickname to be brought to and used at events.
We had customized tankards at my local watering hole years ago, all the regulars got one (once they drank all the 120 different beers which the bar served), it was customized with a hand painted nickname, and hung on a hook over the bar for you when not in use.

[ Edited by: thegreenman 2007-01-15 13:56 ]

E

How about, instead of a card or as an alternative, a Tiki Central enameled pin? (Or pins. New designs periodically?) Then your TC-ness wouldn't be hidden in your wallet all the time.

Not personalized. No need to keep a database or anything. Anyone buying a pin would be in "the club." And Grand Members could be offered a second, different pin that's grander.

8T

You might forget your card or pin or even lose them. They could then be used by someone else who could steal your identity!
The only REAL way to go is to be tattoed with a TC symbol. Then all you have to do is flash your flesh. Although perhaps a predetermined region of the body should be decided upon. (Don't put the darn thing too close to your Equator if ya know what I mean!)

On 2007-01-17 18:58, 8FT Tiki wrote:
...The only REAL way to go is to be tattoed with a TC symbol. ...

Like this?

:lol:

Who wants a Mai Tai?

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2007-01-18 09:01 ]

LMAO C&A....yes that tattoo would be ever so membership-like. Too funny. :D

I too am a newbie, but already a Grand Member, as I very much believe in supporting the community posting board. I have gladly supported the artists here also, and will continue to do so as I feed my tiki addiction. I would be very happy to help out in some way with making the card happen if possible. I belong to a couple of clubs in my neighborhood and am familiar with the best way to maintain data, so would be willing to keep a spreadsheet if that would help. Anyway, count me in as one of the usual suspects. :)

whoa, what have I started??

At Pour, a little wine bar, I have what I call the Friends and Family deal, where about 5 really good friends, the neighboring business workers, and the neighbor who sometimes feeds my dog when I'm too busy, gets special treatment, always happy hour prices, a tidbit of food here and there.

Since I've had the same employees since day 1, it is easy to tell who is who.

Then Thatch opened.

New employees, they don't know the lady who feeds my dog anymore than they know Troy, the Bamboo craftsman. They certainly don't know TC grand members who have kept the flame alive with get-togethers, collecting, daily quips and story sharing.

Even though they are practically next door, I can't always be there to point out that Dogbytes is one-cool-lady-with-a-Huskydog-but-don't-buy-her-a-cocktail-because-she-doesn't-drink.

I was wishing I could have my staff who doesn't read TC, (well, actually bartender Zorn does now that I've introduced him, and Tammy does too) have a way to know to give you, the TC member special treatment.

Maybe the answer is to make my own cards to hand out. Hell, I've got a VIP card to Portland's Acropolis, but that is a different story.

Until then, keep coming up to me and introducing yourself. I'll see what I can do.
Robertiki

T

Love to swing by do you know if bus stops by your place ????

On 2007-01-12 18:04, jpmartdog wrote:
I think membership cards would be fun - Boston Red sox offer membership cards ie> Red Sox Nation - it's a great way to declare your solidarity and your faith!

• simply another way to create financial support for the site creators, but does offer offer occasional discounts for tickets and merchandise, and special opportunities.

Restaurants/ Tiki Bars, clubs across the world could maybe offer a % discount for those that "flash" the card. TC would benefit from the minimal fee for purchase! Grand Members might be honored with a "gold" card ( simply a color difference) Clubs or restaurants that "accept" the card would benefit from adding the participant to their mailing list and ultimately offer incentives or discounts for repeated visits with the card!
    I like the idea and see it as another method to subsidize the ongoing costs of this fantastic site!~
    I'd be proud to carry a TC card and a great incentive for restaurants, lounges, stores and artists to join in on the Tiki "wave"

The card is ultimately a feel good kinda "certificate" for the members. Businesses have the right to accept it, honor it and offer priveleges at their own level. And lets face it - if there are 5000 + of us TC members - what is the odds of all of us showing up at "Thatch" on a given evening to demand our TC discount. and even if we did Roberttiki would be come a rich man overnight! The reality of our physical locations of residence limit the liability of any instance of overuse. The smart businessman would build the discount into his expectations!

jonmooers.com

I just wanted to point out one problem with this plan, Boston sucks. :wink:

T

Not a bad idea. Just as a revenue getter for TC, though. The whole discount card idea would be way too complicated. I like the idea of maybe a new card every year, that way Hanford has a steady stream of cash, just like with Grand Memberships. Whether you get a discount or not is sort of immaterial. Buttons aren't bad ideas either.
An imprinted card would look nice, but like someone said, would be way more expensive to set up. Still, I think it's a grand idea, and I'd support it. I'm always up for supporting the TC ohana!

From a revenue-generation (AKA money-making) standpoint, I'd like to stick with Grand Memberships and online ads. However, if someone wants to tackle the issue of making your own TC membership cards, feel free to do so. I just ask that you don't make cards for Grand Membership status. Thanks!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2007-01-22 16:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 49 replies