Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's(Beverly Hills)fate sealed? Not if we can help it!

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

D

So now we know it's really a goner. LA Observed posted an article today (01/19/07) with the latest news about the property. Bummer.

You can read the article here: http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2007/01/waldorf_coming_to_be.php

Thanks to Ojaitimo for suggesting I change the title of this thread to reflect our ongoing opposition to this project!

Dolewhip!

[ Edited by: Dolewhip 2007-01-23 18:38 ]

[ Edited by: Dolewhip 2007-01-23 18:42 ]

A

Since TV seems to be in expansion-mode, I hope they will decide to open a new location in the LA area.

This sounds a little more definite than the Condo idea, since Waldorf would be an extension of the Hilton name, but there'll still be opposition from the locals. Enough of this and they may be forced to try something different to recoup the money put into the Hilton.

"Also as part of the plan, developer Oasis West says it will add two new lanes to Wilshire Boulevard (a new eastbound lane and a right turn lane) and one westbound lane to Santa Monica Boulevard."

RIP TRADER VICS!!!

The LA Conservancy has vowed the fight.
Linda Dishman, the Executive Dir, is quoted in the LA Times indicating they were going to try to preserve the 50s tiki.
http://www.laconservancy.org

O

The local opposition is formidable. I still have hope that they will save or at least relocate Trader Vic's rather than get rid of it.
In November, Johnson the matre d said there is an extention due to the local opposition. With celebrity support they can make them at least delay this farce. I for one will never buy a computer from that company.

So call me stupid,
but how much longer is Vic's gonna be there?
a month, a year, 5 years.
or nobody knows?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Okay, ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Trader Vics LA is nothing short of a cultural icon for this (my/our) town, and it's time to get out the WAR CLUBS.

My wife Libby and I held our wedding reception there, and for the all the triple-digit-number of Mai Tais, Zombies, and other assorted belt-backs that flowed that night, I'm sure we can find a number of the faithful willing to chain themselves to the entranceway Tiki.

Come to think of it, maybe that's not such a bad idea... Who wants to bring the pitons, aircraft cable, anchor chain, Tarzan-vine, whatever, and hold a real, sit-in? I'm so fking tired of hearing from everybody how fking awful is is we lost Kelbo's (Oh, God, dear-fantastic-delightful-Kelbo's), Tiny Naylor's, The Brown Derby, POP, Bob'd BB Canoga Park - you-name-it, and then squids (no offense, Squid) from some other berg slam us for having "no culture".

Who the hell is willing to raise such a ruckus about this it will make the make the rafters tremble in City Hall? I sure as hell am.

If this thread gets any real response, if those of us who really give a damn about saving our f**ing culture in LA are willing to say it here at TC, then I say let's resolve to show up at Trader Vic's BH on SATURDAY, MARCH 17th 2007 (providing they don't bulldoze the place by then) and hold A REAL BIG-DEAL PROTEST.

Call the Media. Call the Marines. Call somebody, your friends, your friends' friends, everybody. Call the LA Conservancy, the Mayor's office, the BH CoC, Tiki News, Tiki Times, the LA Times, the London Times, everybody, and let's get a publicity laser-beam on this that makes the creeps (who probably don't even live here) who want to bulldoze LA's flagship of classic and urbane Tiki Culture blanch like sunbleached driftwood.

Saturday March 17th, 2007. You'll be drinking already, you know you will. Let's lash our raft together and kick some lunk-headed-developer butt.

Cheers and Aloha,

SOK
http://www.yoyoisland.com

M

The irony of all of this is that Los Angeles and Orange County have always been oriented to the newest-is-bestest mindset. 50 years ago the atomic, Eames era, tiki days were the newest thing. How sad that the region has aged 50 years but not matured a day. Preserving history is a gift for the future.

TO quote Jack Benny......"Well!"

I am glad that I made the trip out to get pictures of it a few months back. When the talk of Trader Vic's being lost began to pick up I figured that documenting it should be high on my list of things to do. Being a architectural historian, anytime a historic property becomes endangered the ole' alarms start going off. This property and its landscape qualify for the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES. Actually the residential community across the street qualifies as a National Register District. National Register status is a pedigree that attracts attention and gives historic properties "bragging rights." I urge you Californians to contact the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)to learn more about saving these sensitive properties from the wrecking ball. Historic districts bring ordinances that are regulated by the people who live in them, not government, not big business. Districts bring in Design Guidelines that regulates new construction, and assists locals on proper restoration and rehabilitation techniques, AND available tax incentives and grants.

Oh GOD, I'm starting to rant.....

Listen, the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's IS a historic property. The exterior of the building is filled with awe inspiring art work that is worthy for a museum. Its even signed and dated by the artist, for God's sake! Here in the Eastern United States, FOLK ART is being recognized for its importance, its rare, beautiful, and irreplaceable. The bass relief artwork on the outside of Trader Vic's falls into this category. This issue should be addressed on the state level, and could qualify for Federal attention. Historic Properties that retain their historical integrity are rare and can get the attention they deserve when the community rallies around it.

I'm not going to rattle about my business, but go to my website

http://www.historical-integrity.com

Get passed all my design pages and get to the meat of its historic preservation element. Read about the National Register of Historic Places and the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Preservation. This knowledge will help you save California's vintage tiki landmarks. Developers have no since of history or community. As long as they are tearing down and rebuilding they are making money!

Let me say that if TV's is demolished and is rebuilt in another location, will the new property have the rich patina, that original luster that only the tests of time can give..? No. What history, what memories will exist in the new construction? None. The people and experiences associated with the original location will be lost forever. Causalities of urban development. We can never fully re-create the past, modern building codes and bias contaminates that ability... this is why historic preservation is so important.

If Trader Vic's Beverly Hills is lost, be sure you learn from this mistake, take stock in the resources you have left, get organized, get the right knowledge, and see that they are preserved for your old age and the next generation of tikifiles that haven't even been born yet.

Swamp.

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-20 07:48 ]

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-20 07:49 ]

O

I will be there on March 17th but I would really like to get started sooner than that. I am so sick of this throw away society we live in. No history it seems. Swamp is right in that even if they do relocate TV it will end up like the Brown Derby did. We all know(or should) how that ended up.

Back in 1985 my brother Michael Mc Millen built a miniature for the Music Center in LA. His installation "Central Meridian" was at LACMA where it was until last year. Many museums around the world were displaying his work.
LA asked him to do a piece for the Music Center leaving it up to him on the content.
He created a 9 foot sculpture called "Bunker Hill" in homage to the area that the city tore out. It is still there some 22 years later.

Last year he did the cover for "Chavez Ravine" Ry Cooder's album about LA tearing it up for Dodger stadium.
Don the Beachcomber would have been 100 on Febuary 22, 2007 and we are having a party at the Warehouse that is 100 yards from Don's abandoned space on Bali Way.
Just this week I attempted to aquire the Don the Beachcomber's space in Marina Del Rey for a temporary installation based on Don the Beachcomber and his houseboat prototype with a raining stormy night scene. I had something in mind like the "Pavillion of Rain" that Michael did in 1987 but more tiki and a museum as well.
The building would have been perfect but the Pacific Hotel Group declined. " We have other plans for that space" so that plan is probably out now. Maybe we can all come up with a plan along the same lines close to TV and bring some real attention to Trader Vic's and this plight.
Michael did a installation called "Promethius" in a store down the street from Trader Vic's while it was being reconstructed that was up a few years ago. Perhaps an installation and a museum with artifacts and relics to can bring focus on this and cause some positive action could be placed in an empty building in Bevery Hills.
Any thoughts?

Critiki photo gallery of Trader Vic's http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=15

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-20 20:49 ]

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-09-08 14:14 ]

C
Chub posted on Sat, Jan 20, 2007 11:14 AM

Some pics from my visit to Trader Vic's on 12-27-07

On 2007-01-19 20:51, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Okay, ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Trader Vics LA is nothing short of a cultural icon for this (my/our) town, and it's time to get out the WAR CLUBS.

. . .

If this thread gets any real response, if those of us who really give a damn about saving our f**ing culture in LA are willing to say it here at TC, then I say let's resolve to show up at Trader Vic's BH on SATURDAY, MARCH 17th 2007 (providing they don't bulldoze the place by then) and hold A REAL BIG-DEAL PROTEST.

Call the Media.

Calling the media is key.
If I recall correctly regarding the Derby, media attention caused LA City Councilman Garcetti to become involved and successfully intercede.

Steve Lopez of the LA Times might be interested in covering the story, he referenced Trader Vics in a prior column and occassionally rails against "dumb growth."
[email protected]

Also, the http://www.laconservancy.org may have a point person.

However, the governing body to approve the project is:

City of Beverly Hills
Department of Community Development
455 North Rexford Drive, Room G-40
Beverly Hills, California 90210
attn: Donna Jerex, Senior Planner

emails may also be sent to: [email protected]

I don't know the status of the Environmnet Impact Report, but public comments can be included in it.

This is a sample letter, courtesy of the fine folks at http://www.lottaliving.com :

Dear Beverly Hills:

I am writing so my opinions may be considered in the Environmental Impact Report for the proposed mixed use development at 9876 Wilshire Boulevard (The Beverly Hilton Oasis). What a shame that we are going to lose one of Southern California’s greatest examples of Tiki culture, Trader Vic’s!

Trader Vic’s is an important part of our rich recent history and culture. Beverly Hills is a young city and we don’t have 500 year-old structures to tell our story. We must preserve our recent past because it is our only history. We must see the importance of significant places like Trader Vic’s now or we will never have a sense of history even 500 years from now.

The chain is experiencing a resurgence and opening new locations all the time. A new generation is discovering Tiki for the first time and, of course, loving it. It doesn’t make sense that an area like Greater Los Angeles, which probably was instrumental in creating worldwide interest in Polynesian culture in the first place, will be one of the few places without a Trader Vic’s.

I grew up in Southern California and I just can’t imagine driving on Wilshire into Beverly Hills without being welcomed by those wonderful tiki decorations out front. This is a true landmark and I’ve seen less important structures get landmark status. I implore you to rethink this demolition and save Trader Vic’s! I know others feel as I do and I hope they speak out.

PLEASE REVISE BEFORE SENDING.

Great Suggestions and Great Information!

Can Trader Vic's receive sanctuary via the "National Register of Historic Places"...? What does it take to qualify? A petition? We'll draft one. (Signable on-site by 3-17-07? Why not? Plus online voices from TV patrons around the world? Why not?)

Might TV's Owners and Management (You know who they are, Holden) be receptive to the idea of establishing a "Museum Wall / Display Case (possibly in the Special Event Room off the Bar) -- ? Maybe a floor-to-ceiling/wall-to-wall-built-in (with a good deal of 'tasty carving' -- C Al? Tiki D? Bko?), showcasing how TV's BH is part of a Global Phenomenon that's Still Going On: a museum-quality history of Vic B.'s life and adventures in general (JB? Sven?), artifacts from his travels, and photo-archives of the great stars, celebrities, and other luminaries, that have all infused this unique location with the excitement and glamour of their presence and patronage. Something like this might help distill-to-the-max TV's historical & cultural resonance, yet take up a minimum "footprint" in it's installation...

Great idea, CT, to contact Steve Lopez/and-everybody-else-in-local-media, who wouldn't mind having their face mingled with a montage of stars who've lit up TV's as bright as a second round of Mai Tais and Flaming-Beef-Cho-Chos. Do you know Mr. Lopez? No time like the present to ask him how he likes the idea of doing a special report. How many famous faces can be found who've got fond rememberences of their fun times at TV...? And thanks for the hands-on contact info, re, the LA Conservancy, BH Dept of Community Development, and Hilton Hotel @ BH.org. I'll be pinging each of 'em come Monday and throughout the week, and hope your post is useful to Everybody else out there ready to sharpen their spears...

Lotta Living's "example" letter, not as a cut-and-paste of course, but as a splendid guide to focusing the communication overture, was rendered and posted remarkably quickly and adroitly ("Wise Navigator Not Wait to Put Finger In Leaky Canoe"), in time to inspire others by your example. Mahalo for that.

Lastly here, if the Devil must be dealt with, what about the strategy of surfing this reef by doing with TV what's been done so keenly with the Cinerama Dome / ArcLight? Instead of dozing the Dome and losing it forever, it's been respectfully, tastefully, and splendidly incorporated into the larger "complex" around it; more for everybody, and no loss to those who care about protecting Hollywood history and culture.

Cheers and Mahalo nui to all who care, rally, and act -- while there may still be time to divert this insensible plan to destroy our TV's and replace it with empty rooms bereft of our present and past aloha.

SOK

I WONDER IF THE TRADER VIC'S IN BEVERLY HILLS IS A CORPORATE OWNED FACILITY OR IS IT A PRIVATELY HELD FRANCHISE.

Yes Ohana, the Trader Vic's Beverly Hills does qualify for the National Register. As I stated from atop my soapbox earlier....Contact the State Historic Preservation Officer. Take this link to the Office of Historic Preservation

http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1054

You can contact the office with the information below. Remember that this is a government entity, but it is designed from a grassroots perspective and run by people who feel the way we do.

California Department of Parks and Recreation
Office of Historic Preservation
1416 9th Street, Room 1442, Sacramento, CA 95814
P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001
TEL: 916-653-6624 | FAX: 916-653-9824 | [email protected]

Also remember that protests from the curb can backfire and get the wrong message sent out if not handled (organized) with care. Petitions are a great way to get your message out. Write letters to TV's corporate office. Feel them out, get into their heads.... There are many effective ways to approach this issue. Re-read my ealier post and contact me if there are further questions that require drawn-out, more detailed answers.

[email protected]

I would be happy to draw up the National Register Nomination Forms whenever the ball starts to roll. GET ACTIVE!

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-21 12:27 ]

Mahalo, Swamp Tiki. Your words are wise, and your links are keener weapons than curbside rants could ever be.

Of course I'm still willing to consider chaining myself and anybody else who's willing to join me to the entranceway tiki at TV's on St. Patty's Day to stop the bulldozers, but certainly procedural pressure, applied with finesse to the right bureaucratic pressure points, may do more to win a more lasting victory (more than, say, a blurb on the local news).

You have given us much to consider (and from a look at your website, it looks like you know your s**t regarding these battles); let us all act on your suggestions. There's still plenty of time to try other means before guerilla tactics may be the means of last resort.

But let us try to win this one, Kanes & Wahines. Because losing this one will hurt dearly, as dearly as losing Kahiki and Kelbo's, and-pick-your-own-cherished-bastion of Timeless Tiki. And if enough of us fight this, failure will not be an option.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

I think a meeting between everyone who wants to get involved with the Beverly Hills Trader Vic’s on Saint Patrick's day is a great idea and I will be there but I would like to get started sooner.
I plan to be at the Velocity Cafe 2127 Lincoln Blvd Santa Monica, California, this Friday January 26, 2007 at 7PM PST. You can be there in person or on line , they have internet access at Velocity Café with 6 computers or your own and I will have my lap top connected to Tiki Central and Tiki Shout.
Why Velocity Café? I stopped at the Velocity Cafe the other day when I spotted these painted tiki to take these pictures.

The cook told me that the owner Mike who painted this self portrait with tiki, had more tiki paintings on the outside walls but the Santa Monica "Design Police" had ordered them to be painted out as they didn't conform to their standards and violated sighnage laws.

I plan to interview the owner if he is there Friday or the manager with video that will be on You Tube next week. I’d like to type the Q&A in Tiki Shout if that’s OK with everyone. It sounds like Velocity Café could use some support from some of us and I would like to hear the owners story and see pictures of the tiki that were painted out.
While there we could also get input from TCers and others to come up with a plan to try and save Trader Vic’s.

I thought rather than meet at a bar and have drinks, we could drink coffee or smoothies, get caffeined and sugared up and come up with a plan.
Swamp Tiki, I hope you can attend on line. You have the knowledge and experience to facilitate this. Son of Kelbo, Cristiki, I know this is short notice for this Friday to be there in person but maybe we can make it a weekly meeting?
Sabu, Hiltiki, Premex and everyone else who wants to get involved. In the words of the Tiki Seabees of the U.S. Navy "Can Do" So please try and be there either way. (Except you Grog, you're too grouchy to have around with that club and after Kenny.....}

I hope to see some of you in person or on line this Friday January 26, 2007 at the Velocity Café between 7PM PST and 9PM.

http://velocity-cafe.com/index.htm

Ojaitimo Tim

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-23 01:46 ]

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-24 08:51 ]

never mind getting out the war clubs!! get out the crow bars and start dismanteling!! i want that neon sign goddamnit!!!!

This sent to Steve Lopez today, thanks to Christiki's info:

Dear Mr. Lopez,

The recent announcement that Trader Vic's Beverly Hills is to be demolished is tremendously upsetting to many of us who are beyond sick and tired of losing our great city's most renowned landmarks.

As part of a community (both local and worldwide) of friends and enthusiasts posting online at Tiki Central ( http://www.tikicentral.com ), a collection of forums for those interested in that wonderful vein of "Polynesian Pop" still running strong through American sub-culture, and, also, as a native of Los Angeles who has too often endured the heartbreaking loss of our irreplacable cultural icons, I am writing to ask if you may be willing to help those of us who care, to defend Trader Vic's from the same oblivion suffered by so many of LA's cherished establishments.

A groundswell of protest is in the works, but we will need help from the media: help to sound the alarm about this impending disaster, and help to get the word out about how to mount an effective protest to prevent it.

Will you consider helping us declare this fight to preserve this legendary venue, where the greatest stars and celebrities have shone, out of respect for the past generation who created it, the present generation who revere it, and future generations who have yet to appreciate it?

If you agree that the loss of our own unique Trader Vic's restaurant (at this very time when new ones are being built elsewhere around the world) would indeed be a further, shameful, loss to our city's heritage and charisma, I hope you will respond, with permission to quote your response to the online community so they may take heart that the Times cares about the fight we're preparing for.

Mahalo and aloha,

[signed]

Hope everybody else will try this, or something like this, at this "Overture" in the campaign. I'll be following up on the other leads as well this week.

Can't make this Friday in person at Velocity, but can perhaps participate in cyberspace at 7:00pm. How many "first salvos" will we be able to discuss by then? A few at least, I hope!

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

p.s.: As for "crowbars", well I can think of an immdiate activity for that sentiment, and TV's "demolition" isn't particularly foremost. We need allies to help keep Trader Vic's parts in one place, WHERE THEY ARE, not scattered to the carrion wind...

O

I agree, as the prez said,"You're either with us or you are against us"

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-24 23:30 ]

O

How about some tiki artists coming forward to try and save Trader Vic's like Shag is doing here? I don't see many of you responding. Come on people, get involved!

Sales of Shag Print to Benefit
Ennis House Restoration

The Ennis House Foundation is pleased to announce the availability of a limited-edition color print by the artist Shag featuring Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House. Net proceeds from print sales will support the foundation's efforts to stabilize and restore Wright's 1924 Ennis House in Los Feliz.

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his life plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-23 19:54 ]

The way I see it, and this may be somewhat of a summary, these are the angles:

1. Convince the owner to incorporate TV by shame
    (While there is room on the site, if the Waldorf Astoria will pay for the corner location, no amout of shame may counteract the cash)

2. Either the City of BH or the State designates TV as a historic site (over the objections of the owner).

3. Attempt to influence the BH planning commission by claiming the Environmental Impact Reviw report was insufficient (I do not know of the status of this)(However, this may be difficult because the land is already zoned for a hotel)

4. Contact TV corporate to see if they will intervene.

5. Encourage the LA Conservancy to become invovled

6. Find a No-growth organization to litigate based on the increased traffic.
    (Again, this may be difficult because Wilshire & Santa Monica are already busy thoroughfares, so more traffic on those streets will not be problematic)

[ Edited by: christiki295 2007-01-24 00:13 ]

I have heard that an EIR has to be completed, and during that process, there will be opportunity for input and opposition.
I have also heard that local neighborhood groups will be fighting on the increased congestion issue.

This from the BH City website:

PLANNING COMMISSION
A five-member commission which meets on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month at 1:30pm. Community Development Department - Planning.

The five-member Planning Commission is appointed by the City Council to carry out a variety of delegated functions. State law sets out the areas over which the Planning Commission has authority, either as a decision-making body or advisory to the City Council.

The Commission is responsible for recommending broad development policies to the City Council, and once adopted in the form of the City's General Plan, for reviewing development applications for their conformance to the General Plan. The Commission acts as an advisory body to the City Council on applications for subdivision of land (including condominiums) and, absent an appeal to the City Council, is the final authority over a variety of discretionary development applications (Conditional Use Permits, Development Plan Review Permits, etc.), variances from the zoning regulations (sitting as the Board of Zoning Appeals) and for the environmental assessment of such applications, as proscribed by law.

As the Planning Agency, it also sits as the review panel for state and federally mandated programs.

http://www.beverlyhills.org/presence/connect/CoBH/Homepage/Local%2BGovernment/Commissions%2Band%2BCommittees/Planning%2BCommission/

On 2007-01-21 10:38, tiki leki wrote:
I WONDER IF THE TRADER VIC'S IN BEVERLY HILLS IS A CORPORATE OWNED FACILITY OR IS IT A PRIVATELY HELD FRANCHISE.

Good question. This is where to find out:

Trader Vic's, Inc.
2 Fifer Avenue, Suite 130
Corte Madera, Ca 94925
Tel: 415-927-9788
Fax: 415-927-9688
Email: [email protected]

Robert L. Davies
President & C.E.O.
Email: [email protected]

By George, there isn't a state in this Union of States that can rally like Californians once they get stirred up! Organization is the key to success...Get to the Historic Preservation Commission meetings. If a building of historic value is to be demolished it should come up as a topic at these meetings. Depending on who is involved it could be slipped through under the radar...be diligent. Check for verification of historic district boundaries in the area. The Beverly Hilton and Trader Vic's, if not in a nationally recognized district, could be designated as historic landmarks. If so, then they'll show up in the preservation database. Oh yea, inquire when the last historic resource survey was conducted in that part of the county.

As for the Eniss Print, how do I get one? I'm supposedly related to F L. Wright.... Anyway, keep up the progress. The California Preservation Office will work with you. Get them involved. I will try get to up with you all on-line on Saturday. I'm EST and have to meet with a building contractor that evening.

Sure would like to be out there is person, though.

Hang Loose,
Swamp

Fantastic information and valuable proto-strategy...!

Shall we nail down details, e.g., who's contacting (or has contacted) Who, how many letters, emails, etc. of what kind should be sent to What Recipients, this Friday at Velocity (in person and online)...? It could be helpful to open a mailbox somewhere (or a "special" thread here?) to steadily gather reports and documentation of the campaign's advancement.

This might be useful in cases where too many inquiries may possibly be counterproductive (like to TV's Corporate, perhaps?), and in other cases where we'll need lots and lots (and lots) of emails/letters/autographed coconuts, etc, to the politicos and the media.

Looking forward to polishin' me shilelagh, er, 'la'au palau', and ready to badger the s**t out of those who would destroy our own Trader Vic's for no better reason than to line their pockets building a tower of empty rooms. Grrrrrr.

But coordination is key, and our war canoe should be navigated with wise anger.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

Excellent letter templates. I will send some too. I think the "historic" angle is going to be the best bet. It is less personal and more preservation oriented. Great thread!! Keep the info coming, so we can all help out.

Please try and attend the on line meeting for Trader Vic's Beverly Hills on Friday at 7PM PST at the Velocity Cafe at 2127 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, California from 6PM to 9PM PST either in person or online.
We will be in Tiki Shout and PM's for Tiki Central during that time for Q&A regarding a plan of action. Hope to see you all there.

Tim Ojaitimo

Life is a state of mind

[

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-24 23:48 ]

I think this is a pretty cool idea to use Shout for this! Hopefully we'll have a great turnout and people from all over the world who can't be there in person can chime in and have their voices (or text!) heard. It's a pretty cool way to use the internet to show your support.

~Hanford

Ohana,

This is really merging into a very proactive effort. Preservation advocacy is the only way to save the physical elements of our past that really mean something. The average community official has hard time thinking of mid-century architecture as historic. Mainly because a lot of them were around when they the buildings were constructed. This is a factor that is debated in many states, and a tactic developers use to destroy them. Many preservation offices are mounting efforts to promote awareness. The key to landmark status is the building should be at least 50 years old or a unique (rare) example of a particular building style,a product of a master builder, or a unique defining element of the community in which it resides. This designation is not only for a building's exterior elements, it works for historic interiors as well. George Washington may not have slept here but Mid-Century (Googie) architecture still defines American cultural history.

Contacting HPAC (Historic Preservation Action Committee) is another option for this effort. This a political lobbying group that promotes historic preservation issues on the state and federal level. This information is on-line, google it. They are very active here in the Eastern U.S. Georgia HPAC is very active and gaining support daily.

D

Trader Vics' corporate parent is currently scouting other locations in Los Angeles to move the legendary restaurant. Details here:

http://www.franklinavenue.blogspot.com/2007/01/exclusive-trader-vics-will-look-for.html

The reason the corporate kingpins operate the way they do is because they cannot see past the end of the almighty dollar. They convince themselves that their actions are for the betterment of all mankind when actually their actions are for the betterment of themselves. We who are happy with the way things are become "sentimentalists." Hell, the sentimentalists are the regulars that kept the place afloat all these years. I challenge Trader Vic's to create a venue that truly compares to Victor's original design....they can't do it. Corporations too big, too many cooks in the kitchen...They just want to expend their energy trying to convince you that they can. Hype Hype Hype. Like I mentioned before, if this fight to keep the landmark fails (lets give it a good one), use the failure to take stock in what is left, and start today working with the California Preservation Officer to devise a plan to save them. You'll be glad that you did. (I hate one-sided news articles...)

Forum Saturday still on, right?

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-25 19:58 ]

If you mean the in person / online Velocity Cafe pow-wow, that's Friday (tomorrow) night at 7:00pm.

If this is going to be a weekly war council, let's learn from each other if Trader Vic's has yet been contacted by anyone posting here, and see if we can get an official representative to join us, yes?

The article (blog link) prior suggests TV's may be looking for someplace else in town to relocate. Let's discuss getting the veracity of this nailed down: if it's true, let's get some particulars; if it's a smokescreen, let's not let it trip up our timely action.

War canoe, or moving van; whatever it takes to save the joint from oblivion (and vultures).

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

My choice for a new Trader Vics would be where there is a lot of foot traffic, such as on Hollywood Blvd., or Universal City Walk.

However, that is so far down the line, and Trader Vics has its own real estate agents, who will look out for their interests.

The trick is to decide whether the Waldorf A will have a Trader Vics, just as The Plaza had a tiki restaurant

I didn't get home in time to join in...

How did the meeting go? Any ideas?

I think the meeting went well. I took notes and sent them to Ojaitimo who will edit and post them. It is good to know that the people that love tiki can be proactive for a cause that helps preserve important history in the world. :)

Big thanks to everyone who attended the meeting Friday evening. Good turnout, it was a new experience for many of us and although it got off to a slow start I think we ended up with a good plan that we will outline in "TC to save TV" which was suggested by Hiltiki We will be posting the minutes over the weekend.

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-27 01:09 ]

I'm really sorry i missed this meet. I was planning to attend (@ the cafe), but I have had 2 deaths in the family(both grandmothers) in the past 2 months. There has been strain in my household since,that I've had to be the backbone so-to-speak. It was expected, so it hasn't been too hard on me yet. Anyhow, I'm looking foward to the "clif-notes" version(remember those?)lol, of what was brought up in the meeting, and I'll try to help in any way I can. I don't want to be one of those people sitting around and not doing anything to "prevent" the demolitions of mid century design & architecture. I also do not like talking past tense about great vintage locations of yesterday gone. Count me in, and we'll try to save them one at a time!

Time for some "Mid-Centurions" fight for revival & recongnition!

T

This is really bad news. I hope TV will open a new place nearby.

EDIT: Not my truck! I should have cropped that out.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2007-01-27 01:30 ]

O

Son of Kelbo is working on a on line draft with Swamp Tiki's assistance. There is a new post in "TC to save TV" it has info I pulled from our friends at Lotta Living's forum.

O

We are having another Tiki Shout meeting this evening at 7PM Pacific Standard Time to plan for February 17th Saturday at Trader Vic's. We are aware that this may be too expensive so we are trying to arrange refreshments like coffee and soft drinks for those who don't wish to order food and drinks. We will try to get a Tiki Central discount as well for that day.

Tim

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-02 08:29 ]

TH

Not to sound like a devils advocate.. But whats Trader Vics position on this??

If its prime real estate and vics owns the building, Im sure they are getting a huge payout..
And, Im sure the stuff inside wont be destroyed, just moved...

I mean yeah, we all have "sentimental" attachment to things.. the TV in San Franc whene I spent probably 10 or my first 15 borthdays closed years ago... It sucked but things just happen...

Im just saying that getting it registered as a "historic location" or anything in the like might not even be what TV wants..

[ Edited by: Tiki Ham 2007-02-02 18:13 ]

You are right. But corporate owners tend to act differently in the face of public concern (a.k.a. outcry) from time to time. Historic Preservation is a growing concern in many communities around the country. There are considerable tax incentive programs that benefit historic income producing properties that many business owners and corporation heads currently know little about. Efforts such as this bring these incentive programs into the limelight and can have positive effects. Nothing can be accomplished if we just sit around and assume that nothing can be done. Hell, Trader Vic's is eligible for a 10 year tax freeze and several preservation grants that would aid in any restoration and/or rehabilitation costs. We can assume that their accountants are aware of this, but probably not. This information is primarily researched by preservation attorneys and accountants, specialists in the field. A "devil's advocate" is always needed for balanced debate, but not for shutting interest and action down.

Swing over to the updated thread in General Tiki for updated material.

Thanks,
Swamp

On 2007-02-03 11:51, Swamp Tiki wrote:
You are right. But corporate owners tend to act differently in the face of public
Trader Vic's is eligible for a 10 year tax freeze and several preservation grants that would aid in any restoration and/or rehabilitation costs.

Very interesting.
Does this apply to Trader Vics, or the landowner?
I'm assuming TV is the lessee, not the owner.

ST

Primarily to the landowners. Historic properties under long term lease agreements is something that hasn't come up before in my dealings...I'm checking into that one first thing on Monday when I get into the office...Hmmmm

Swamp

Pages: 1 2 78 replies