Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Lava Moai Tiki Mug on eBay - Page 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies

T

Count me in. I've love to purchase one of the mugs.

Aloha Rob!
Please save one for me too! We will be on Maui Feb 15 thru Feb 23, and maybe I can pick one up in person? Cool new design.

Catch you soon!
Mahalo.
Myke

On 2010-01-14 08:19, tikiwinebear wrote:
Aloha Rob!
Please save one for me too! We will be on Maui Feb 15 thru Feb 23, and maybe I can pick one up in person? Cool new design.

Catch you soon!
Mahalo.
Myke

Myke, I'm thinking they will start being finished Mid February, so your timing is good. I'll be sure to let you know when they are finished.

The first firing is complete for the 10 Artist proofs, so now I need to test some glazes and colors!
More slip for the 25 LE mugs is on the way.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 14, 2010 10:37 AM

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the crazy few who have decided to make their own molds and make their own mug series. It takes alot more time and effort than expected, and in the end you can't really charge as much as it really is worth for all the the time and effort put into doing them. Especially if they have more than one glaze on each piece.

good job.

GROG
Just because it's Witco doesn't mean its cool.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-01-14 11:00 ]

On 2010-01-14 10:37, GROG wrote:
Congratulations on joining the ranks of the crazy few who have decided to make their own molds and make their own mug series. It takes alot more time and effort than expected, and in the end you can't really charge as much as it really is worth for all the the time and effort put into doing them. Especially if they have more than one glaze on each piece.

good job.

GROG
Just because it's Witco doesn't mean its cool.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-01-14 11:00 ]

Grog... You nailed it. The time involved is crazy. It's more of a passion than a money making endeavor. with only one mould each mug takes nearly two hours in the mould process, then the cleanup/touchup is 1/2 hour or more. Then you have a minimum of 2 firings, not to mention the cost of materials. Because of the weight of Plaster and slip, it's very expensive on Maui and has to come by boat. I can't just drive down to the ceramics warehouse and pick up my supplies.

Still I'm having fun and hope to turn out some cool mugs that will make my fellow collectors happy.

Who is designing the TC 10th anniversary mug?

-Rob

M

The Glazing process has begun....

I'll take one too. I have your other 3.

Cheers!

Rick

T

Count me in for one! I have the lucky number 11 mugs you have featured on the website! Love them!
Thanks,
Mark

Now do you all realize my first set of mugs was my design, but they were manufactured professionally? These new mugs are being made by a first timer. This is one Huge learning process for me. They will not be perfect. Gecko tells me it's a style called "Primitive". I've always liked the Perfect quality of a MunkTiki mug. But as I look back at my first Munktiki mugs they were not as perfect as the ones they put out now. The old "unperfect" ones are worth more than their new ones, so maybe these with the hand made look will have a special place on the shelf. Then, when I start getting better you'll be able to look back and say "remember when MauiTiki made his first mug?"

If all goes well I'll have photos of the first mugs early next week.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Looking forward to the photos!
Love the hook necklace!
Count me in on one of these!
You can even send the ones you dont like LOL!

Cheers!

On 2010-01-21 10:12, MauiTiki wrote:
Now do you all realize my first set of mugs was my design, but they were manufactured professionally? These new mugs are being made by a first timer. This is one Huge learning process for me. They will not be perfect. Gecko tells me it's a style called "Primitive". I've always liked the Perfect quality of a MunkTiki mug. But as I look back at my first Munktiki mugs they were not as perfect as the ones they put out now. The old "unperfect" ones are worth more than their new ones, so maybe these with the hand made look will have a special place on the shelf. Then, when I start getting better you'll be able to look back and say "remember when MauiTiki made his first mug?"

If all goes well I'll have photos of the first mugs early next week.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Stop being so modest... you know there going to be awesome...
My favorites are the one's that aren't so perfect..
Go ahead and keep me on da list.. :wink:

So cool! :)

If this is a "list" -- please put me down for a LE version?! I should be on the Valley Isle around March 20th...

M

Sprayed more glaze with an airbrush this time (first few were painted with a brush). The first 7 of the 10 artist proofs are in the firing process. Here are the colors:
2 Espresso brown
1 Caramel
1 Pumpkin Orange
1 Emerald Green
2 Butter Toffee

The Espresso and Butter toffee have a white inside with black specks and the other three have a light blue/purple color inside.

We'll see how they come out in the next couple days.

MauiTiki

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs http://www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers http://www.hippiestickers.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2010-01-24 20:11 ]

:tiki: STOKED! :tiki:

M

Sorry, this is taking longer than I thought, but I'm getting close to selling the 10 "Artist proofs" When they are all done I'll post them on my website and let you know the date and time.

Here are the colors so far...

I don't have enough glaze on a couple of them so they will do a second firing and I'll add some platinum to the fish hooks of the 10 artist proofs. I'm hopeful to get them done within the next two weeks, then I can start glazing the 25 Limited edition mugs. I have 15 of them out of the mould and 9 already through their first firing! I just need to determine what color I'm going to glaze them.

If you are interested in one of my mugs and haven't send me a PM, please PM me with your email address and I'll let you know a few days before they go on sale.

Aloha, Rob

M

I'm still working hard on the mugs. The 10 a"Artist Proofs" are all at various stages of glazing. I will add Platinum to the fish hooks and they will be ready to go. They will sell for $45 on my website. I'll let you know in advance when they will go on sale.

I had a minor setback with the "Limited Edition" mugs. Mug number 22 came out of the mould looking really good. I set it on the porch table where I always let them dry for the night before handling them. When I woke up the next morning it had been attacked!

Several bite marks and completely scratched up and hunched over.

The bunnies must have jumped up on the chair, then onto the table. I don't know if it scared them so they attacked it or if they were just having fun with the soft clay. I learned a lesson. Either the mug is on the porch or the bunnies, but not both.

I've got 19 of the 25 "limited Edition" mugs ready for firing. They will go quickly because they will all be the same color and no fancy platinum hook. I imagine they will go on sale a couple weeks after the "Artist proofs."

E

Were-rabbits?

wascally wabbits! the mugs look great, rob. can't wait to see how the platinum makaus look.

:tiki: KILLAH! :tiki:

I've got all 35 mugs out of the mould and headed for the kiln tonight!

Slowly moving forward...

LT

"I hope your firings go really well."

yeah break a mug, er, leg. ah, nevermind.

Awesome! Now those braddahs just need some color Rob...
Let's take em to da beach for the day... :wink:

M

Whoo Hooo, I got 5 mugs out of the Kiln this morning with spectacular results!

The green glaze is amazing and really Shiny and looks great with the cornmeal yellow inside. I also really really REALLY like the matte finish glace on the far left mug. It would look great with the speckled white inside that I tried on a few of the other proofs.

I think I'll have to split the limited edition mugs between the Gloss Green and the Matte Green. Sound Good?
or is that against the rules?

I'm headed back to re-glaze some of the others that the glaze cam out to thin on. Hopefully this weekend I can get the platinum on the hooks. Then I can announce when they will go on sale! These 10 Artist proofs will be $45 plus shipping. I've learned so much from doing them that the "LE" mugs are going to be awesome!

LT

Looking really good! I like that blue interior glaze as well.

M

I know you didn't ask for votes but...
the orange one with the blue interior is gorgeous!

S

Da matte green is way cool!!!

The orange one is actually the "pumpkin" orange from the first firing. The glaze was a little thin so I did a second coat of Caramel over it and it came out very cool.

All these mugs will go on sale for the bargain price of $45 in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know a week or so before.

THANKS!

E

Beautiful glazes, Bob - I, too, want the orange/blue one!

M

Of the 10 artist proofs, there are 3 that I made two of, but there is only one orange one.

-Rob

M

Uh oh, ebtiki, should we split it in half? :wink:

I thought Mr. Tiki wanted that one....:wink:

There all superfantastic Rob....

E

Murphdog, the orange/blue mug is yours. Maybe, if I ask real nice-like, Rob will set me up ... pretty please with sugar?

M

Thanks ebtiki! You are so kind.
Now, I have to hope that Mr. Tiki is as magnanimous as you!

BT

I hope you saved the zombie tiki mug that survived the were-wabbit attack. That one should cost extra, it's unique and has a great story (which could be very open to interpretation after a few Mai Tai's)

M

Sorry, the attacked Mug was turned back to slip and has become a new mug. My son was very disappointed as well.
No progress this weekend, maybe this week I can get the damn Hooks painted.

Z

Bummer. No bunny attack mug.
That would have been perfect for easter...
~Zero

"The guy in the jacket"

Visit Zerotiki!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-03-30 18:54 ]

Great looking mugs! Love them all,
especially the green one. Good luck!

M

Thanks I like the Green Best myself. The two mugs on the right are the colors I've chosen for the Limited Edition Run. Glossy Green and a more stone-like green finish. the stone will have a white inside.

I'm ordering glaze for the 25 mugs today!

-Rob

M

Can it really be true? The 10 artist proofs are cooling now from their final time in the kiln and are ready to sell! I'm putting together a web page to show them all with photos and info about each one.

I think I'll sweeten the deal by adding 4 Maui Tiki Tours Postcards, A Hawaiiana Clip-art CD ($40 value) and a copy of Maui Arts and Culture magazine featuring cover art by "Tiki Shark" Brad Parker (priceless) with every Limited Edition Mug. If you are not on my email list send me a PM. I'll announce the sale date by the end of the week and email everyone with the link. (plus I'll post it here.)

Maybe next week Thursday? the 15th of April.

M

The mugs are done and the webpage has been built. I never imagined it would take this long to make 10 mugs. I learned a whole lot in the process.

Here is the link, they will go on sale Thursday the 15th!

http://www.mauitikitours.com/carson.html

Rob the mugs looks great! I really like that platinum hooks... very cool...
:) :)

Very striking glaze..well done!
Will the LE series be available for pick-up on the island?

M

Thanks... Sure you can pick-up the mugs at my shop in Kihei.

M

Less than 24 hours until the mugs go on sale.
I have set the inventory on my PayPal buttons to one. I'm afraid that if two people try to buy the same mug at the same time PayPal will allow it. Does anyone have experience with PayPal inventory? I have a feeling that the sold out notice doesn't take effect until a transaction is complete. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

If Two orders slip through PayPal for the same mug I will email the second buyer IMMEDIATELY.

Here is a list and pic of the goodies you get with your Mug order:

1. a set of 4 Maui Tiki Postcards
  2. A Hawaiiana Clip-art CD
  3. An issue of Art & Culture magazine featuring Brad Parker Art on the cover.

Good luck!

Just tried to buy it now for #10 and it wouldn't work?
It's been two hours already!!
Oh HST, I still have a day to wait!!

M

they went on sale 15 minutes ago and only #6 is left.

Thanks to everyone who ordered!

Now I got to get to work Mailing them and glazing the next 25.

Mahalo for mine, Rob! They're all beautiful.
Wishing you the best~
Andy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies