Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TDuddy's Carvings-->|Updates-10/9--| Pg.11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

T
Tipua posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 8:24 PM

Excellent Tiki Duddy, I really like your style.
One might even say it's KUool! (groan)

Keep up the great work!

TDud,
Yer stuff is lookin great and much improved! I've been on hiatus for a few months from carvin and such. No warm place here in Clev-OH to carve as yet and I got real discouraged. About to restart here soon. Got a comish on a big tree stump!

TD

Tipua thank you for the compliment. i still dont see my own style in my work. i just see designs that have been done already.

freddimon thank you too, i actually noticed a little bit of an improvement in my stuff the other day. im happy with it.

Alright....i havent been around much lately. been busy a bit.....and a little lazy when i think of it.
well here is my next one that ive been working on. i did the lower half today....

and thats it for now. i should have more updates by the end of the week if i get around to it.
thanks for looking

B

Duddy, Looks like he will be a Nice Lookin Lono, keep on this track and he will be excellent. take your time and make the detail as Clean and crisp as you can and he'll be your Best one Yet. Cool!

TD

hey benz thanks. im taking my time on this guy, i want to get some good detail put into it.
should have more soon

Hey Duddy: That guy's looking good so far. Have you stained the other ones yet?
I was worried about you, not posting in for so long. Good to see you've been getting some work done. Looks like no snow in the background. Been warm enough to work outside yet?
Buzzy Out!

TD

hey buzzy thanks man, no i have not stained the other guys yet. i need to get some new stain for those guys. and YES the snow is gone and the weather has been GREAT! lately its been real hot...but today its rainy.
thanks alot

more soon

TD

alright i did a bit on it today. dont feel to great so ill finish him up another day.
i used a neighbour's bansaw to make the back on it flat.
sorry about the pictures. they arn't that great today. i just dont feel like going back outside and taking some more. ill have better pics once i make an update

thats all for today.
more soon

TD

alright got some updates, not many because ive been....well, slacking off big time. and i want to appologize for that.
here is the one lono...

and here is just a little rock that i decided to take the dremel and some new pieces to, not too great of pictures here, ill have some better ones once its done...

thanks for looking always.

C

No need to apologize Duddy, just don't take any more time off. Your skills are
coming along nicely, the Lono is gonna be cool. And what's with the little head
between your fingers?
Opps...I should read too, not just look at pictures. Good job with the little stoner.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2007-06-04 17:50 ]

TD

Hey thanks conga, yes the pictures of the little head there were a little bit hard to see, i got a better one here, along with another rock i just carved. just experimenting a lil...

and thats it for today, i havent done much work with the wood lately but ill get some up and going yet. just trying this out for a little bit. interested in it.
thanks for looking

Wow, that second stone is pretty good! It has a great expression, and an authentic look.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 9:08 PM

Duddy,

Whoa, you have really come a long way my friend...your just getting better and better. This is some very choice work!

B

Duddy, your stuff is still looking a bit rough, but a hundred % better than early on. Keep on working on smoothing out all the lumps and bulges and you'll be doing great. When you start complaining about how much you Hate sanding, you'll be there.

TD

hey hey, thanks alot for the words
4WDtiki- thanks, i enjoy the stone carving. i diddnt catch a good picture there, ill get more yet
babalu- i always like hearing ive gotten a little better than before. learn something new with every tiki
benzart- thanks to you aswell, i do dislike sanding, thats why i put it off so much always. but when i sand one i usually go through the lot of them and fix em up.

thanks all

B

Don't feel alone,, I don't know of Any carver who likes to sand (except for TikiG's Miss Trish), we ALL HATE IT. Now that you know that, just realize that the More you sand, the Better your piece will probably be. My Lifetime Quest is to find ways to make sanding faster and easier and they usually involve some form of Power tools!
So keep up the good work and Practice your sanding EVERY Day!

alright, here is one i started today from basswood. my first crack at basswood too, i love it!

thats it for now, i MIGHT have some more by tonight. i wont be carvin tomorrow cause of rain, gonna storm.
thanks for looking.
advice always wanted

B

Excellent start TD, Just take your TIME. The more you rush the more chance you have of messing iy up!.
Keep on Having fun.

thanks benz, i will take it easy on this one, i want to get this one turning out real good. trying to think of designs for the face after.

should i burn it or not??

B

I wouldn't burn it. I would add as much detail as possible and then you don't need any burning.

ok! sorry for not being around too much, been pretty busy and to top it off.....i ran out of batteries for the camera, there were none in the whole house!
ok here's a little update...

thats it for now. thanks.....and yes, im wearing Pj pants

M

Nice!

Were you shivering when you took these?

Nice carving man! Keep on going.

Mahalo

McTiki

Haha.. Pj´s!
I was just wondering if you we´re wearing punk bondage pants or if you had a blanket in your lap.
Nice progres pics!

B

Lookin' good, Duddy! You're really getting brave by making such deep cuts into the wood. Your work is becoming much more sculptural, and less "drawn" on the surface. Looks like you are shaping with a saw too. Congrats!

Oh, and nice jammies!

Hey Duddy! Glad to see you back at it. Did you ever get some stain for the other ones? And, how about them rocks you were messin with?
Looks like you're about ready for some more wood...

Buzzy Out!

Thank you all very much!

TikiDreams.....punk bondage pants? hahaha
i know ive been a little...slow this summer but im just enjoying the summer messing around. i will have more yet.
thanks

hey all! sorry havent been around much, internet was off for a while there. ive started a new piece but not very far. ive been slacking, yes....im a slacker.
ill post some pictures once i get my camera working again...either i did something to it OR all my batteries are just dead, which is pretty likely.

S

Looking good my friend. I see you also have the tiki bug.
Keep the chips flying.

Hey all, weather is getting nice enough to be outside again so took some pics of a bit of stuff ive done recently.

that's it for now. ill have more updates soon.
thinking of scrapping the body idea though, and just chop off the head and start a new face with the bottom half...any thoughts welcome.

Nice i see his personality already.

Wassup Duddy?

Thought you got grounded for a few months and got your computer taken away or something. Good to see you're finally thawed out.
Did you get a new camera? Nice clear pictures...

Buzzy Out!

thanks guys! yea, i got a new camera for my bday a few months ago! works REALLY well.
more updadtes today

Here's the updates as of 1pm. chopped him in half and gave him a cigar.
decided he looks better toothless...

ill have some better pictures up later tonight probably. Im off to work on the chunk i cut off.

Alright, here's some progress pics of the new guy. a few were from april sometime, i just didnt load em up here. the last few are from this afternoon. we had some nice sun...

B

Good looking stuff Duddy, nice to see you back again, Love the Smoker too! School's Out?

Hey benz, thanks. one more month of school left about, but today the sun was out so i started a new little side piece quick.

he's got some nasty splits in him but gives him some character. not sure what kind of wood it was but it's great to work with, just found it in our firewood pile.
currently working on making him into a pipe, ill post pictures tomorrow if it goes well

Alright, havent got the pipe pieces to work together yet but ill get there. did some burning just now.
he's turning out pretty good i find.

i may start a new little piece today out of the same kind of wood. we'll see what the day brings.

B

Man I'm Happy to see you jumping up to the Challenging stuff and doing it Well! Keep it up!

Hey, thanks Benz! i think im starting to get the hang of this carving stuff a little bit. can make my facial features ROUND finally!
here's the pipe so far. just drilled a hole in the top of his head and the side. cracked the hell out of him but still good.
gonna stain him up when i get some more stain, we used it on our deck a few days ago.
gonna start working on another little head today i think. ill post more later tonight if my camera's batteries dont crap out on me!

just a few pictures on the skull, kinda turning out. we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

ill have some more stuff tomorrow.

did a bit on the lil skull this morning...

might have some more stuff today, lots of homework ive been putting off and i gotta go back to school tomorrow

here's a new head i started this afternoon. got the one ear in, working on the other. i already messed the second one's size up.

That's it untill after school tomorrow.

Nice chatting with you Duddy. Good start on this one!

T :)

H

Van Gogh tiki?

B

Hey, Duddy's back! Wow, you've been busy too, I see. Hopefully you don't suffer from the same disease I've got. The one that allows you to start a project, but makes it near impossible to finish! You've got some great ideas and I'd like to see how they come out!

But finish your story for your class first! :)

Nice work, Duddy! I wish I'd started carving back when I was your age, I'd be as good as Benz by now (in my dreams, of course :) ). But I can say that I had a hell of a lot of free time back then & tons of artistic inspiration, but little or no bucks for art materials & tools & stuff to make it happen. Which is the exact opposite of now, ironically. Probably true for most of the carvers here on TC, being average age of 40 or so I guess.

What kind of tools you got going, anyway? Keep it up, diggin the work.

Aaron

Thanks Tama,Bowana,Aaron!

haha, Hiltiki. i messed up his other ear, its alot smaller but it'll have to do

I agree Aaron, my long term goal is also to be able to carve HALF as good as Benz!

Just some updates on the new head. not sure what im exaclty doing with him yet, but we'll find out yet..

that's it for tonight i think, it's getting chilly out.
more tomorrow afternoon probably!

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2008-05-20 17:49 ]

A picture of my tools, for Aaron...

Those are the ones i use that arnt messed up or rusty

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2008-05-20 17:56 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies