Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TDuddy's Carvings-->|Updates-10/9--| Pg.11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

S

That head is coming along just fine, keep it going.

Thanks seek! i havent worked on this guy in a little while, just didnt post the pictures yet

might have some more this afternoon. im supposed to go to a craft show and put some carvings up for sale today too apparently.
still pretty attached to my carvings though haha

TD

Gave him some burns today, more pictures tomorrow probably.

hmm, i still need to start some big guys this summer. Maybe ill go log huntin tomorrow aswell

S

Nice, That's another tough project you are taking on.
He is looking good.

B

TikiDuddy, you keep up this progress and you will be Better than that guy Benzart in no time at all.:lol:

Looks great. I have the same Xacto box for carrying around my knives!

Faces are not that difficult; placing eyes, nose, and mouth. The difficulty comes when creating a Profile. The nose should be the highest point while the chin and forehead slope in. Also the cheek bones are very important as well, because they are the base that holds everything together. Don't focus on carving lips, the mouth is really just a hump resting on the chin (insert joke here). Simple lines can create the illusion of a mouth. I'm still trying to figure some of the proportions out. Carving a skull in wood is very difficult - unlike clay, there is not adding or reshaping if something isn't working. Recently I looked thru Woodcarving Illustrated and picked up a few pointers. Caricature carving is very popular and can easily be translated into Tiki. I would suggest taking a look at some Caricature books - can't hurt. There are alot of techiniques out there for carving - find one that you like and then carve what you like!

TD

Thanks Seek!

i donno...that benzart guy is pretty skilled.
Thanks benz

AlohaStation, thanks a lot. always needing advice!

More soon

I wanted to carve today but wasnt up to work on any of the projects i got going right now, so i played around with a scrap of wood we had in our fire pile.

more pictures soon

Went to the lake today, did some carving while i was there...

Also caught a bit of a sunburn.

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-06-17 17:09 ]

S

Nice work on the small detail stuff.

Thanks seek!
i was just messing around today again, got some burning done on the one guy, and tryed to grind some stone, going alright so far...

Alright, here's the latest guy i've been working on. it's a piece of wood from BC. not sure what it is. it's real nice wood.

Sliced my thumb today too while carvin this lil bastard! taped it up though. so we're good to go. no more carving today though.

Also got a few pieces varnished. they look real nice, im glad i found a can. it was about time!

[ Edited by: tiki duddy 2008-06-25 14:54 ]

Tiki D
Nice work , i like the Moko

B

Careful there, it's starting to look like the standard issue "Artists Shop", complete with multiple unfinished pieces, bloody bandages, stray dogs hanging around, Various paint rags from every tiki you have finished, Nice looking tikis and half empty varnish cans hidden here and there!
Nice burn job, you are getting better and better. Nice pic's too, remember your first bunch from a cell phone, you've come a Long way there Too!
I guess you've just come a Long way everywhere, keep it up.

Thanks, Slave. appreciated

Thank you too, Benz. yes! the old days of the 'camera phone'. rough times! very happy to have the digicam.
i promise, this is the last new carving i'll start before i finish my others!

Thanks again!
More tomorrow!

New Tools:
!!!

New Owies:
!!!

New Updates:
!!!

This guy better turn out for the amount of trouble he's giving me.
more updates tomorrow

S

Nice tools nice carve start and nice sideman band aid.

B

Nice work Duddy.

Ben.

B

TDuddy, You can stop now with the bandaid needs, Cut it OUT!
Nice tools Kinda?? Actually they look like the china version and are mostly Wood-Turning tools just Sold as wood carving tools. I would return them and get real Carving tools, They SHOULD know better and if they don't then they (whoever sold them to you) not sell them.
The new pieces are looking Great.

Thanks Seek, yes...spiderman is the man.

Ben, always appreciated!

Benz, im seriously trying not to knick my fingers, honestly am! Thanks for the compliments and concern with the tools, i saw the gouges and those were what i wanted out of the set, i dont even have an idea what the squiggly one is for lol.

More stuff soon!
....once the fingers heal a bit

Hey Tiki Daddy. I had that exact same set of chisels and picked the gouges out also. The only problem I had was they tended to slip until I spent some serious time with a sharpening stone and a strop. It made a big difference with the carving and less time sanding. Your Moai is looking really good and love the detail on the small head. Happy Carvin'

Happy Canada Day Duddy!

Whatever the hell that is?
Buzzy Out!

TD

Hey thanks Lizard! i have yet to try out my gouges on an actual piece but SOON!

Buzzy! Thanks much!! im actually gonna watch the canada day fireworks from atop my roof, i can see all the little towns' fireworks! then im commin to the US to watch YOUR guys' fireworks!
hmm...last year i caught myself on fire...maybe ill steer clear of em this year....NAHHH!

got the second coat of semi-gloss on the Moai, i'll have some pictures tomorrow

Alright, here he is all varnished up! i DID screw the ears up again though, one is giant while the other is a bit smaller.
oh well.
here it is!

Now to finish up all the other ones i've started and i can start some NEW ones!

TD

Set myself up a website! Take a look if you like!
http://www.dustin-smith.webnode.com
tell me whatcha think

H

I just looked at your website, very nice. I like the last tiki you are carving, it has a lot of character, good job.

TD

Thanks Hiltiki! the varnish works real well with that last guy.

Alright, it's about time i bring out the chainsaw here so for practice today i decided to cut up a small stump. i intended just to chop it up a bit and use the new chisels a bit on it but i ended up having too much fun to stop, so here's what i've been up to today...

i think i'll make him into an actual piece!

just a lil guy i've been working on. turning out alright so far!
good news: the local art museum accepted some of my work (mom's idea). so i got about 7 pieces in the museum up for sale!

more soon!

S

Nice work this guy is just popping out of that log.
The museum thing is so cool. Right On.

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 7:08 AM

Hey Tiki Duddy
great Tikis concratulations
I love your Head Carving and burning pieces - nice
Hope to see the finished heads very soon - my Headhunter is very hungry ......:)
mahalo

Akuae

Thanks Seeks, appreciated Always!

Akuae- thanks for the comps on the carves. i didnt realize untill just now that i hadnt got pictures of the finished heads before i brought em to the museum!
well, i have to go check in on them every now and then anyways. i'll just bring my camera along next time and catch a couple pics!

Thanks again all!

Some updates from today, he's commin together.
cant wait till i start the face. still deciding what to do...

That's it for now! more soon

Updates from this morning.
Got him all roughed out and sanded, now im gonna start on the face.

I'll probably have more pictures tonight or tomorrow
Untill Then!~~

Nice TD, that guy is coming along, good progress shots too, we really get to see him evolve.

S

Yes nice this guy is shapping up well.

Thanks Seeks and Surfin!
alright, here's a little more progress. started on the face a bit.

that's what i've got done so far.
gotta do some more on the face, shape up his ass and feet, then the small detail!
i've also got some ideas for hair once i've got him all done. we'll see how it goes!
lets hope well...

More soon!

S

Nice! I dont know how you all do those little guys.

TD

Thanks Seeks! i sure wish i could do the big guys as good!

ok, got some paints the other day. really want to start painting, and the painters here on TC are just so inspirational i just had to give it a shot!

attempt at a self portrait. was looking in the mirror to my side.
my skin may be a little red/pinkish and my hair may nearly be green but im happy with it, got a feel for it even though i need to improve on my color mixing abilities!

i wanted to paste on my thread here first a bit before i make a 'other crafts' thread. if i do.
That's it for now!

B

Hey Hey, A Painter is Rising, Looks like someone from an earlier post?

TD

There, that picture might look a little more like the painting.
spent a little too much time in the sun that day!

:lol:

TD

Alright! here's the new guy all finished up!
cut up an old broom for the headdress and just drilled little holes to glue them into.

And that's it for now! more soon!

This is a quick little piece i started today at the lake.
just a bit of dead wood i found there:

i'll finish him up tomorrow
might make a necklace out of him

B

Duddy, Nice to see you still carving and doing it well too. Whats that funny loking round copper thingie there, some strange plug? Keep carving and Mind those fingers. :lol:

Edit.. Sorry to hear about your friend, those things are always difficult to deal with._______________

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-08-21 02:28 ]

Great broomhead tiki carving!
Great expression on him....Solid...unmoving...determined....
the face and the stance work well together to achieve that!
and nice hairband idea with the bead
it's the little details that give pieces more life!
new one's looking good!
Far North REPRESENT!

Ben-Thanks for the comps and concern, means alot
:lol: "...round copper thingy.."

Ken- Thanks! i really wanted to put some character into this guy's face, i still need to learn how to develop the eyes better, but for now i just made them sunken
Far North Reppin!

ok, did a bit on this dude today, sanded his headdress up a bit too.
...looks like a shrimp tail on his head kinda though
teeth tomorrow then the varnish and he's done

i'll post new stuff tomorrow when i get around to it!

Tiki Duddy, Nice imagination on the broom head. Like your shrimp tail head guy. Great work on a small piece. Are you going to try to bring out some contrast in his features with a torch or are you going stain? Either way he's going to look goooood! Happy Carving!

B

Well quit Goofin' off and Git on 'round tuit, This guy is Lookin Great, Shrimp tail, Headdress, whatever!

Shrimp Tail head tiki looking good!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies