Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TC to save TV

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies

Thanks to everyone who attended last night and Hanford for his support in this cause.

These are the minutes from the Tiki Shout meeting that was held last night. A petition to start online here at Tiki Central is being drafted by Son of Kelbo. Swamp Tiki and his historic preservation experience is helping from the east coast. We had a good turn out with many good ideas proposed.

The next live event is February 17 at Trader Vic's time to be decided, probably stating at 5:30PM where the petition will be available for signing.
If anyone has suggestions for the time, contacting officials, media, etc please post them.
It was suggested that celebrity support would motivate the media to get involved. So any of you lurkers that would like to help try and save Trader Vic's, we could certainly use your help.

A few miles from my home is the Albringer archeological site and museum. You can examine objects and artifacts from a Chumash indian village that had stood for thousands of years. Then sometime in the 1700's the mission developers tore it out to build something. This trend continues today and enough is enough. I'm not sure what we can do but anything is better than just talking about it and complaining. If we can get the area declared a Historic Preservation Zone we can put a stop to this.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-27 13:02 ]

Thanks to Vampiress for keeping the minutes and cleaning them up.

MEETING MINUTES TIKI SHOUT 1-26-07

TOPIC: Saving Trader Vics of Beverly Hills, California
ATTENDING: Son-of-Kelbo, Ojaitimo, VampiressRN, danlovestikis, woofmutt, filslash, hiltiki, alohacurrent, Queen Kamehameha, Swamp Tiki, pdrake, VonTiki, Benzart, Tikisgrl

Son-of-Kelbo: I might suggest we find out who's done what so far. I've sent an email to SteveLopez -no reply -, and contacted Gensler Architectural, the firm that did such a good job with the Cinerama Dome/Arclight, just to see if they might give some advice. Has anybody "officially" contacted Trader Vic's yet? 19:14:08
Ojaitimo: Not here other than informal chat with Johnson the matre D there 19:16:14
Ojaitimo: but I'd like to start something like Laihina village has 19:17:35
Son-of-Kelbo: Ojaitimo will moderate this shout, re Trader Vics? 19:18:49
Ojaitimo: I think if we get some celebrity support 19:19:06
danlovestikis: Did you contact Sven? 19:19:36
danlovestikis: aka BigBroTiki 19:20:36
Ojaitimo: Sven is in the middle of Tiki Modern now 19:20:38
danlovestikis: New Book? 19:21:07
filslash: hmmm 19:21:07
Son-of-Kelbo: How 'bout some sort of online petition? Could Hanford or HumuHumu help us set something up like that at TC, that could be accessed by everybody (like Lotta Living friends too, etc.)? 19:22:40
Son-of-Kelbo: How 'bout some sort of online petition? Could Hanford or HumuHumu help us set something up like that at TC, that could be accessed by everybody (like Lotta Living friends too, etc.)
? 19:22:40
Ojaitimo: It also comes down to having it declared an HPOZ 19:24:46
danlovestikis: Which is a...? 19:25:08
filslash: Or Kohalacharms... surely he's got more cash than paris... 19:25:08
Ojaitimo: My boss lives in Hankock Park and the entire area is Historical Preservation Zone 19:25:41
danlovestikis: I love Kohalacharms, he is an american hero, did you know? 19:25:41
filslash: actually KC is very secritive 19:26:03
danlovestikis: We visit his family once a year, he deserves any tiki he can find. 19:26:40
filslash: so why not BUY it? 19:27:43
Son-of-Kelbo: We ask: Sven, Bob & Leroy, Holden, C Al, Tiki Mag (Steve C), HH, Bko, All the top luminaries, to help us lead off this (or some) petition, and open it up to everybody locally and around the world who wants to be counted. 19:28:04
Ojaitimo: I got a letter from Phoebe Beach yesterday 19:32:14
danlovestikis: He's had bad press on TC so he withdrew. I just let it roll off and keep coming back for more. 19:32:28
danlovestikis: Is PB a tiki place or a person? 19:32:57
Ojaitimo: Did you know her husband created a historic zone in Laihina? 19:33:14
filslash: Yes. 19:33:34
Ojaitimo: With enough attention, they will be forced to alter the plan 19:35:30

Ojaitimo: So what is the plan for March 17 19:36:53
Son-of-Kelbo: If we start off with an online petition that is endorsed by the Ohana's luminaries, then what about further realizing it at TV's, say ONE MONTH before March 17, which would be Saturday Feburary 17? Everybody bring a pen, all the friends they know, faxes/printouts from friends elsewhere, and we do a pre-March 17 pow-wow? 19:37:22
Ojaitimo: I can shoot video or still 19:37:46
Son-of-Kelbo: Great. Are we talking about 2-17? 19:38:15
Son-of-Kelbo: As well as 3-17? 19:38:28
filslash: 3/17 19:38:32
Ojaitimo: Feb 17 sounds like a plan 19:39:24
Son-of-Kelbo: I understand from OT's post that he would like to get going sooner than that as well. Great. 19:39:35
filslash: anything I can do let me know... 19:41:51
VampiressRN: seems to me the best bet is if the city of Beverly Hills recognizes it as a historical building 19:45:02
Benzart: Anybody know how to reach her? 19:45:16
Ojaitimo: next to it is the San Buena Ventura mission 19:45:42
filslash: She drinks there. 19:45:47
Tikisgrl: Historical preservation? anyone working on getting it declared a landmark? 19:46:41
Ojaitimo: That village had been you for about 4,000 years until the mission came along 300 years ago and tore the village down 19:46:54
Son-of-Kelbo: That's what we're trying to find out, I think... 19:47:21
filslash: That did not save the brown derby... 19:47:22
Ojaitimo: Maybe we can save it, maybe not 19:48:02
Tikisgrl: So you need media support first and foremost, 2) historical preservation 3) popular support with the inclusion of local politicians? 19:49:06
Tikisgrl: Swamp Tiki will walk you through it according to his posts. 19:49:31
filslash: Hold a press conference on a slow news day. 19:49:36
Son-of-Kelbo: Who wants to follow through on SwampTiki's information to address that question? 19:49:42
alohacurrent: yep Tikisgirl nailed it 19:49:47
Ojaitimo: Son of Kelbo, do you have a petition draft? 19:49:48
hiltiki: SoK I like the idea of petition on line by TC members, we can do that to help out. 19:49:55
VampiressRN: relate it to the art of the building and the diversity in the food 19:50:07
Ojaitimo: How about a new thread where we can put the minutes, etc 19:50:37
Son-of-Kelbo: Not yet, but that can be achieved. And perhaps we can make a Feb. 17 on-site at TVs Petition Drive a media event? 19:50:48
filslash: get some a-list-ers to appear 19:50:50
hiltiki: yes it deserves a new thread on it’s own 19:51:22
filslash: Rob Schnieder, and many others in Hollywierd are sympathetic... 19:51:26
hiltiki: would be nice if we could get Humu to start the thread. 19:51:50
Son-of-Kelbo: Great. Know how to contact him? 19:51:53
Ojaitimo: How aboat the art at Trader Vic's 19:51:56
Son-of-Kelbo: Great, who wants to ask her? 19:52:08
filslash: um i think makedamug does 19:52:22
Son-of-Kelbo: Wakarimasen? 19:52:28
filslash: nick cage is also among us, but lurking 19:52:51
Son-of-Kelbo: Like it! 19:54:11

Tikisgrl: What's the popular art paper in LA? 19:53:12
Tikisgrl: they might do a freebie? 19:53:26
filslash: The weekly 19:53:26
Son-of-Kelbo: Let's ask Mr. Cage to sign the Petition, and bring his friends. 19:53:35
Ojaitimo: Any suggestions on the thread title? 19:53:37
hiltiki: TC to save TV 19:53:59
filslash: He's actually really nice. Sandler is also here lurking 19:54:07
Son-of-Kelbo: Like it! 19:54:11
Tikisgrl: How about Beverly Hills Trader Vics... Show your support & advise of what you intend on doing... 19:54:23
Tikisgrl: You need to get media attention & get the historical stuff moving... 19:55:59
VampiressRN: true 19:57:29
Son-of-Kelbo: Okay, let's get everybody who knows A CELEBRITY to ask them to join a Big Deal Petition Drive (led by the Online Petion we start this week) AT Trader Vic's BH next Feb. 17, with a big follow-up planned for Mar. 17? Yes? 19:57:51
filslash: ya know, merv stil still owns it... 19:59:17
Swamp Tiki: Has anyone out there contacted the Califorrnia preservation office? 20:01:57
hiltiki: Merv doesnt own it anymore. 20:01:57
hiltiki: Huell can do another California Gold special on it. He also goes to Tiki Ti alot. 20:02:39
Tikisgrl: Swamp you seem to have the road map there how hard is it to contact them? 20:02:54
filslash: seriously, the celebs will drive the petition/media circus... 20:03:11
Son-of-Kelbo: Who wants to liase with Swamp? 20:08:08
Swamp Tiki: I'd be glad to. We need to make sure we touch base with them on Monday. I need to check my database for a weekend contact. 20:09:06
Son-of-Kelbo: Send me a PM, Swamp, and I'll be your Menehune in LA. 20:09:37
Ojaitimo: Anyone know how we should approach the media? 20:13:21
Tikisgrl: does the LA times have a website? 20:13:59
VampiressRN: I think the approach shoud be from a historic angle and with a positive spin on saving it for California 20:14:19
Ojaitimo: So, Son of Kelbo, do you have a petition draft? 20:14:30
Tikisgrl: use their search engine to search for articles with Tiki in them 20:14:33
Son-of-Kelbo: Let's maybe start by letting the Media know on online Petion is in the works. 20:14:47
hiltiki: LA times just did the article on the subject, how about editorial section? not much iI know. 20:14:59
Swamp Tiki: Most papers have a contact page. What about FOX news website, or CNN? 20:15:00
Son-of-Kelbo: Am I being drafted to draft one? Can Do. Will Do. 20:15:14

Tikisgrl: If you can contact the individuals who have written positive tiki articles they may sit down with someone like Wendy (she has that PBS special coming up) and write a nice article... 20:15:45
Swamp Tiki: Be sure to note that the Preservation community is getting involved 20:16:02
Son-of-Kelbo: Didn't get a reply from Steve Lopez. Maybe I should copy the email I sent to the Senior Editor? 20:16:13
hiltiki: Von we are saving your favorite restaurant Bev Hil TV 20:16:17
Ojaitimo: We were talking about a petition to sign next Feb 17 20:16:26
Son-of-Kelbo: Can you suggest some in the post, TG? 20:16:50
Swamp Tiki: Is Wendy local PBS or National? 20:19:15
Ojaitimo: and launch it next week 20:19:23
VampiressRN: local 20:19:28
Tikisgrl: "That '50s creation of tiki is a diminishing resource," said Laurie Dishman, executive director of the Los Angeles Conservancy, which is lobbying to save the restaurant. "We really need to protect what we have." 20:20:10
Tikisgrl: LA Times.... 20:20:21
Tikisgrl: Who's Laurie dishman? 20:20:30
Son-of-Kelbo: Let's get LD to advise us on the Petition? 20:20:50
VampiressRN: Might get some networking off of this http://www.CaliforniaHistory.com 20:21:36
hiltiki: well we should try to get the TC members get involved in this 20:22:33
Swamp Tiki: Is there a local historical society in the area? 20:22:39
Son-of-Kelbo: As Many As Possible 20:22:50
Son-of-Kelbo: Ms. Dishman may know 20:23:09
Ojaitimo: LA Conservancy Org 20:23:15
VampiressRN: might even be able to get the Governor involved 20:23:21
Tikisgrl: Well I would guess someone should contact the Los Angeles Conservancy place... & coordinate with our #'s as so many of us are far away 20:23:33
Son-of-Kelbo: Good question 20:24:50
Swamp Tiki: Have a meeting with the Georgia Historic Preservation Office next week. Will get the word out in Atlanta 20:25:33
Tikisgrl: You could try the comical approach... he has a sense of humor... How about a tikinator mug and a letter... Humuhumu may have some historical insight as to the celebrity status of the TV & who went there over the years etc to write an impassioned plea to Governor Arnold? 20:25:35
VampiressRN: with pictures of the building 20:26:07
Son-of-Kelbo: Is TG volunteering VonT to make a custom mug? Cool... 20:26:14
Ojaitimo: Have to have public hearings, how about if we cover them 20:26:29
Tikisgrl: Sabu... is quite the historian... he may have something to offer as well... 20:26:35
VonTiki: The mugs already made, not by me. I could carve a tikinator tiki though. 20:27:05
Son-of-Kelbo: Who wants to solicit The Bum to meet at a Tiki Ti pow-wow next week to see if he'll lend us his literary skills? 20:27:13
Ojaitimo: Custom mug could be a good fund raiser 20:27:18
hiltiki: great idea OJ 20:27:40
Swamp Tiki: What about printing an informational flyer to distribute around the community...lets build a website that has a link to history and a petition 20:28:08
Son-of-Kelbo: Wednesday Night, if JB is game. 20:28:20
Ojaitimo: I;ll be there. 20:28:44

hiltiki: I will try to make it to Tiki Ti if this is happening for sure. 20:30:
Ojaitimo: Drafting a petition 20:30:42
Ojaitimo: 2. starting a new thread 20:31:03
Swamp Tiki: I've got the printing resources and can ship UPS for free 20:31:20
Son-of-Kelbo: My suggestion was to coerce The Bum into this at Tiki Ti, not just to drink there, eh? 20:31:31
Tikisgrl: 1) Contact others to see what's already in place... 20:32:13
Tikisgrl: 2) assist with #1 20:32:33
Son-of-Kelbo: VRN, will you relay minutes to OT? 20:40:18
VampiressRN: yes...I will send to OT.
Son-of-Kelbo: Petition 20:46:06
Son-of-Kelbo: Meeting on 2-17 at Trader Vic’s 20:46:19
Son-of-Kelbo: Minutes posted in new thread 20:46:39

ACTION ITEMS
-VampiressRN to send condensed notes to Ojaitimo
-Minutes will be posted in the new thread for reactions and board membership involvement in effort to save Trader Vic’s Beverly Hills
-Petition to be drawn up by Son-of-Kelbo
-Swamp Tiki has ability to distribute mail without incurring charges
-Additional research to determine what actions have previously been implemented

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-27 10:57 ]

O

I posted on Lotta Living.com where many of the members have the same idea we do. Here are some of the posts from http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5513&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
From Mod Com forum on Trader Vic’s

Beny Alagem (born 1953) is a former Israeli tank driver and the founder of Packard Bell Electronics, a leading American computer manufacturer during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
In December 2003, Alagem purchased the Beverly Hills Hilton Hotel from entertainer Merv Griffin. The deal was estimated at $130 million. Alagem continues to invest in real estate and is involved in various telecommunication ventures.
Packard Bell co-founder Beny Alagem, who paid $130 million for the
569-room hotel two years ago from entertainment mogul Merv Griffin,
wants to knock-down Trader Vic's Restaurant and Bar, the executive
conference center, the Oasis Court and the hotel's 514-space parking
garage.

On those sites Alagem would build two 13-story buildings containing
96 condominiums, a 104-unit, 15-story condo hotel and 96 hotel rooms
in two 3-story structures. The hotel's parking would be put
underground and increased to 1,422 spaces, to meet Beverly Hills'
codes.

Quote in the latest LA Business Journal from Rose Norton, "former Beverly Hills planning commissioner and a veteran community activist"

"...There's one aspect of the project that Norton said likely won't be contested: The loss of Trader Vic's. 'I get the sense that people think Trader Vic's has had it's day,' she said. 'It's really slipped. Nobody will miss it

so now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their ModCom.
don't chat online. don't just show up at meetings.
Write the letters of support and show up at the hearings and lend whatever talents you have - not only for Vics, but every other building on our endangered list.
I suspect we're going to need a volunter captain to help coordinate efforts on this like Rebecca has done for the Save the Derby. Tikiyaki - sounds like this might be right up yer alley?

Adrienne, nix - what happened at the BH planning meeting last tues?

I'll do what I can... What do I need to do ? Also, if anyone needs to be in the loop, it's Sven Kirsten, Otto, Hanford LeMoore, SHAG and the rest of the tiki community...Do you have their info ? I'm guessing you know these people.
Also, in the likely even that Vics will be demolished, is there a way to find someone to either...
a) Make sure the signage and decor goes into the right hands
b) Find an enthusiast who could relocate the business, as opposed to just shut it down

Nuthin' is goin' nowhere this weekend. I've heard horrible reports of people stealing interior parts. That's the WORST thing you can do. Don't even think about it. The restaurant is not being demolished today or tomorrow.. We're going to be trying to prove it's importance and having it stripped down and ratty looking would not be the way to do that.

The Planning meeting was informational only. No one was allowed to comment. The developers presented their plans and the city watched.

We are going to be talking with the Oasis people soon and explaining our position. I'll post all news as it becomes available. Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:18 pm Post subject:

As I posted over in Tikicentral, could TV's Route 66 connection be of use? It is the oldest tiki bar on Route 66 and would be the only one remaining if not for a newer neo-tiki place that just opened. I blogged my very brief TV visit here: http://thelope.blogspot.com/2006/02/lope-in-city-of-angels-la-route-66.html
You can see the Tikicentral discussion on TV here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18213&forum=1&start=0

Otto and Sven know about it. I'll tell Shag. The divergent communities that want to see Trader Vic's stay standing need to come together under an umbrella group. That is coming together soon.

Please stay tuned and continue to patronize TVs.

Very sad. And frustrating that so many people do not care.

http://www.beverlyhiltonoasis.com/

Please note that there is a link called "TELL YOUR STORY" where you can tell the current owners how you feel. I wrote them something. They need to know how important Trader Vics is.

Also note that in the entire "History of the Bevery Hilton" timeline, there is NO MENTION of Trader Vics.

F*ckin A**holes !

The city of Beverly Hills has just released a Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the proposed mixed use development at 9876 Wilshire Boulevard (The Beverly Hilton Oasis).

A public scoping meeting will be held Monday, Sept 18th, 2006 at the Public Library Auditorium, Second Floor, 444 North Rexford Drive, Beverly Hills, CA. Time: 6:30 to 8:30pm

The notice states that with the exception of the 8-story main hotel tower, all buildings surround the hotel will be demolished to accomodate “luxury” condominiums and “luxury” hotel/condominiums suites. The public meeting will outline the proposed development and the public will be given a chance to voice their opinions on the matter.

The city also invites written comments which should be mailed as soon as possible and at least no later that October 11 when the EIR begins. You may write to:

City of Beverly Hills
Department of Community Development
455 North Rexford Drive, Room G-40
Beverly Hills, California 90210
attn: Donna Jerex, Senior Planner

From the Art Deco Society

October 27th, 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Cocktails in Historic Places
Trader Vic’s at the Beverly Hilton
9876 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills 90210

The ADLSA closes out what is traditionally one of the hottest months in L.A. by heading over to world-famous Trader Vic’s, at the landmark Beverly Hilton hotel, for some cool tropical cocktails*, and Tiki-licious décor. Famous as a favorite hangout for Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack, the Polynesian-themed restaurant, along with the rest of
this Welton Beckett-designed complex, could be facing the wrecking ball if the results of an upcoming EIR looks favorable on the hotel’s owner’s proposal. So come join us as we Art Decophiles see what the modern world has in store for us—and support the L.A. Conservancy’s Modern Committee (http://www.modcom.org) in opposing the demolition.
Reaction to planned razing of Trader Vic’s is muted

By EMILY BRYSON YORK
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff
When plans to raze Trader Vic’s at the Beverly Hilton came to light in April, local fans of the Polynesian-themed landmark watering hole seemed to heave a collective sigh of disappointment.

And that’s pretty much been the extent of it.

According to Jill Collins, president of the Beverly Hills Historical Society, the missing outrage at losing a bit of local color isn’t uncommon. Only five buildings in the city have historical designations and all of them are city-owned.

Even City Hall, which celebrates its 75th anniversary this week, doesn’t have a listing in the National Register of Historic Places.

“The most we can hope for is some pictures of the old restaurant in the new building,” she said.

Still, it’s not a done deal. The project, which is beginning its environmental impact study this week, will have to go through a public review process. Collins said that if there were objections, they’d likely surface at that point. Beverly Hills City Hall, the Beverly Hills Historical Society and the Beverly Hills Municipal League would seem the groups most likely to get involved … or not...

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/industry_article_pay.asp?aID=72570612.6182017.1364077.1697291.7978006.503&aID2=104920&cID=7

LOS ANGELES BUSINESS JOURNAL

Posted date: 1/18/2007
Waldorf-Astoria to adjoin Beverly Hilton

By EMILY BRYSON YORK
Los Angeles Business Journal Staff
Beny Alagem’s Oasis West Realty LLC has finalized his plans for final phase of the Beverly Hilton Hotel renovation, announcing Thursday that a Waldorf-Astoria hotel will be built at the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards.

Alagem recently completed a $74 million Beverly Hilton facelift. Luxury condominiums that will share the hotel’s services are to be constructed as well, but plans for the third building, situated where Trader Vic’s now stands, had not been divulged...

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/article.asp?aid=109254

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:08 pm Post subject:

And this just in from the Los Angeles Times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-hilton19jan19,0,5434850.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Excerpt
At least one piece of Los Angeles history would probably fall by the wayside. The adjacent Trader Vic's, the Polynesian-themed restaurant famous for its mai tais, would be torn down and replaced with the Waldorf-Astoria.

"That '50s creation of tiki is a diminishing resource," said Laurie Dishman, executive director of the Los Angeles Conservancy, which is lobbying to save the restaurant. "We really need to protect what we have."

Although negotiations are continuing with Trader Vic's to transplant some of the favorite "pupus" to the new restaurant's menu, Alagem said, "obviously we have to move with time."
Excerpt

So what the hell does that mean? Transplanting pupus?

Lynxwiler wrote:
The city of Beverly Hills has just released a Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the proposed mixed use development at 9876 Wilshire Boulevard (The Beverly Hilton Oasis).

Has the EIR been completed, or must there be another on this particular development?

Hello Everyone,

I recognise a few of you from Tiki Central where we have a thread on the Trader Vic fiasco. We are planning on being there at Trader Vic's on Saint Patricks day March 17th 2007.
A number of us have committed to try and fight this any way we can.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22554&forum=1&18

Any comments or advice would be appreciated and if any of you can make it to the Velocity Cafe 2127 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica Friday 7PM PST I'll see you there.
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:32 pm Post subject:

Franklin Avenue reports that Trader Vic's is looking for a new location. This could really complicate things.

...But what about Trader Vic's? John Maatta, the chief operating officer of The CW network, just happens to also sit on the board of Trader Vic's (and is the former chairman of the board). He tells me that Trader Vic's is actively searching for another location in Los Angeles:

Trader Vic’s is having a big re-birth. This year we opened in Scottsdale, and Seattle. We are about to open in Dallas and Las Vegas will open in the Fall —- at a great location on the strip. Trader Vic’s Shanghai opened on New Year’s Eve. Trader Vic management is actively working LA, although nothing specific is lined-up yet.

Life is a state of mind

[

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-28 20:00 ]

An Online Petition Draft is in the works; rough draft is standing by.

I have found this site:
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

Which may be a way to kick off our online Petition Campaign. It seems legit, but we should do some further checking. There may be other options (?) This site would require Petitioners to "sign" with their email addresses, but that seems necessary with any system to verify the signature count.

It seems something like this could be a place for TC'ers and LottaLiving forces (and others) to mutually team up. But we should "vet" the veracity of any site like this before we all start signing anything there. Can HumuHumu volunteer to look this link over and help judge its authenticity (or perhaps suggest another way we might get this e-petition-thing going?)

Can't reach SwampTiki by PM for some reason this morning, so, Swamp, if you get this, will you ping me in Reply or PM? I would like to go over the Petition Draft language with you, when you have the time.

Cheers and Aloha,
SOK

Looking good Son of Kelbo, I have no problem with giving my e mail address up and if any of you do, go to Yahoo and set up an alternate e mail account you can use.

I know there is alot to read in the posts above but this says it all.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:08 pm Post subject:

And this just in from the Los Angeles Times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-hilton19jan19,0,5434850.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Excerpt
At least one piece of Los Angeles history would probably fall by the wayside. The adjacent Trader Vic's, the Polynesian-themed restaurant famous for its mai tais, would be torn down and replaced with the Waldorf-Astoria.

"That '50s creation of tiki is a diminishing resource," said Laurie Dishman, executive director of the Los Angeles Conservancy, which is lobbying to save the restaurant. "We really need to protect what we have."

Although negotiations are continuing with Trader Vic's to transplant some of the favorite "pupus" to the new restaurant's menu, Alagem said, "obviously we have to move with time."
Excerpt

So what the hell does that mean? Transplanting pupus?
end quote

Sounds like Benny is a little nervous perhaps?

Interesting that this article is no longer available on the LA Times. Wonder why?

Tim

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-29 12:19 ]

The article has been removed from the LA Times website? Hmmmmm... That's creepy.

Just heard from a contact in the former mayor's office that within the last week, ABC, NBC, and KCET have all called to interview. Could be it's too late to squelch getting the word out. Does anyone have a "save" of that Times web article?

BH residents are strongly opposed to this development as a quality of life issue, and our efforts may be of use to them.

Waiting for some callbacks.

SOK

S

...nevermind...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2007-01-29 13:20 ]

I've recently heard that the residents of BH are adamantly opposed to this developers' plan to "Manhattenize" Beverly Hills, which includes bulldozing Trader Vic's, and not just because they like tropical drinks and Flaming Beef Cho-Cho's.

The widening of Santa Monica Boulevard, the phenomenal excavation, the addional construction traffic (what are the going to do with all the DIRT?) further clogging the "4th busisest intersection in the United States" (Auto Club), have the natives in an uproar.

We love TV's because of what it means to us, but to the folks who live in the area this is a vital quality of life issue, the permanent increase in density this development portends is something they fear and detest.

Perhaps our campaign may be of use to them.

Let's keep our chins up, no need to unfurl any white flags right out the gate. Let's get the Petition-thing going. And make the calls / write the letters, as we need to.

And sure, Swank, business is business. And word is the businesses in the area are also pretty damn pissed about a development that will adversely affect them in a number of ways.

We can always quit. Let's see what happens if we don't quit first.

SOK

On 2007-01-29 12:58, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
The article has been removed from the LA Times website? Hmmmmm... That's creepy.

It's still there, try This link.

On 2007-01-29 12:58, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Just heard from a contact in the former mayor's office that within the last week, ABC, NBC, and KCET have all called to interview. Could be it's too late to squelch getting the word out. Does anyone have a "save" of that Times web article?

BH residents are strongly opposed to this development as a quality of life issue, and our efforts may be of use to them.

Waiting for some callbacks.

SOK

Called who for what issue, the increased congestion or glee over a new 5-star hotel?

On 2007-01-29 11:52, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
An Online Petition Draft is in the works; rough draft is standing by.

I have found this site:
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

I didn't see the petition on the site - could you post the particular page?

On the petition, are you seeking to have Trader Vic's incorporated into the new hotel? (Do you mind posting your initial, incomplete, early, etc. draft?)

The residents probably want a small scale development which does not necessarily help Trader Vics, other than to potentially delaty development.

One of the issues may be any development right on the corner, which strongly suggests that Trader Vics would have to be torn down.

I wonder if the development could be southwest along Santa Monica (and not at all along Wilshire) in order to preserve TV.

I'm thinking that at the end of the day, there will be some development, even if it is a low-rise hotel, like the Penninsula, or condos on the same size.

Just like the Derby, I wonder if we can't get the owner to incorporate TV into the new development.
There seems to be more than enough acreage to go around.

Indeed, with all of the talk about an "urban garden," I wonder if the urban garden at the point of SaMo & Wilshire couldn't be maintained?

According to my source (who's one of our kind) at the Los Angeles Conservancy, of all parties involved (like the LA conservancy), the Beverly Hills residents' group opposing the raise in traffic congestion actually has the best chance to affect the course of the project. Only some of Beverly Hills' high roller residents can play in the same league than the developer, in terms of being influential in the B.H. City government.

It would definitely be advisable to find the contact for them, and get the Trader Vic's issue under the same umbrella.

Does that mean the owner/developer reduced the scale of the project in an attempt to mute criticism?

If so, would that mean the owner would incorporate Trader Vics to further reduce the scale of the development and be "good citizens," like the owner/developer of the Derby?

I'm just reminded that the Plaza Hotel in NY had a tiki restaurant - however, would TV be interested in having their lease renegotiated and substantially increased?

Certainly the hotel would want their signature restaurant which would also be used as a profit source.

[i]On 2007-01-29 20:13, christiki295 wrote:[/i

I'm just reminded that the Plaza Hotel in NY had a tiki restaurant

The Plaza Hotel's Tiki restaurant was a Trader Vic's and when Donald Trump bought The Plaza he closed it.

Thanks everyone for posting all the great information, seems like there are many angles and certainly any of them are worth a try. I'm sending letters as appropriate and hoping for the most positive outcome for Trader Vics and also for the city of Beverly Hills. Keep up the momentum and the great posts here. :)

The reason you didn't see a petition at that petition site link, CT, is that no petition has been posted there yet. There is a petition in draft form which is at present standing by, until we all can come to some concensus about where/how to start gathering signatures.

We must be careful about inviting the Ohana to "sign" any online petition with their email addresses, and be sure that the service this petition site (or any such similar site) provides is not a means of acquiring email identities for sale to spammers. This site appears legit, but I'm not sure yet, and welcome the assessment and opinions of everyone involved to help us all decide if we should proceed here.

We can always do an old-fashioned paper petition with the draft language at hand, combined with a "write-in" campaign from those who can't join us in person at TV's on 2-17 & 3-17 (e.g., a "postcard petition"). What matters most is getting the outrage and protest vocalized in any quantifiable form. This we will do, and the process for doing so is in the works.

BigBroTiki's comments are very wise: We're in this for love of the place, but the local residents are the ones whose daily lives will be impacted by the threat of Manhattenizing of BH, and our best stragety is to be of use to them, for our mutual success. Contact has been made with the BH Homeowners Association, and they welcome our support, so let's progress toward providing them with the petition signatures, write-ins, etc. we're preparing to garner to add to their fight. Can the LA Conservancy help us coordinate and liase the protest we raise?

According to a source at Trader Vic's corporate office, new property owner Benny Alagem has backtracked on his initial olive branch to include TV's in his proposed development (this substantiated by the Times article), and word is they "definitely" want to save their venue in the same place it's been since opening in 1955. Drums speak of more news from here soon...

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

Also, Ojaitimo T, will you moderate another TikiShout about this, this coming Friday, same as last week?

If so, let those luminary celebrity Ohana lurking out there look in, and consider how their presence at a TV's photo op will most certainly help garner the media attention we and the BH homeowners need, yes?

SOK

O

Tiki Shout Tomorrow night 7PM Friday Pacific Standard Time for petition draft discussion.

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-01 22:33 ]

Following is WORKING DRAFT PETITION text, posted here for the concerned Ohana's general viewing. PLEASE NOTE this draft has not been formally submitted or posted anywhere else, as of this date. However copies have been sent to separate "Interested Parties" who are declining to comment at present, yet may offer public statements concerning this campaign within the coming month.

PETITION TO STOP THE RADICAL REDEVELOPMENT OF THE BEVERLY HILLS HILTON HOTEL AND SAVE TRADER VIC’S RESTAURANT

TO:
Beverly Hills Mayor Stephen Webb
The City of Beverly Hills City Council
Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa
The City of Los Angeles Community Development Department
The Los Angeles Conservancy, Laura Dishman
Hilton Hotels / Waldorf-Astoria Hotels
Benny Alagem, Oaisis Realty

An Alliance of Beverly Hills Residents and Business Owners opposed to the adverse environmental and quality-of-life impact of the proposed massive demolition and redevelopment in the area of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, in concert with Concerned Citizens opposed to the destruction of Trader Vic’s restaurant, a culturally significant and historical treasure to the local, regional, and global community.

ATTENTION MAYOR WEBB, CITY COUNTIL MEMBERS, AND ALL OTHER PUBLICLY ACCOUNTABLE MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT OFFICERS AND OTHER PARTIES RESPONSIBLE TO THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE:

BECAUSE of the great objection of the local residents to the absurd and avaricious scale of the proposed development, which, if allowed to proceed, would infringe on community parkland, destroy businesses of historic and cultural significance, and add unsupportable additional congestion to the area, and which additionally threatens to open the way to “Manhattenzing” the community of Beverly Hills, forever destroying its unique character and aesthetic appeal,

AND that the RESPONSIBLE DECISION to deny approval of the furtherance and implementation of the plans for this proposed development will preserve and extend the quality-of-life the residents of Beverly Hills expect and have a right to, in addition to preserving and protecting business venues of inarguable cultural significance to the City of Beverly Hills, the City of Los Angeles, the City of Hollywood, and the State of California, formostly Trader Vic’s restaurant, an historical gathering place of persons of distinction in the entertainment community since its establishment in 1955,

WE THE UNDERSIGNED, A Coalition of Local Residents of Beverly Hills, Other Concerned Citizens of the City of Los Angeles, and Their Supporters in the State of California, the United States, and other regions and nations around the world, hereby DECLARE OUR ADAMENT AND UNITED OPPOSITION to the proposed radical demolition and redevelopment of the area bounded by Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, and Merv Griffen Way, AND CALL UPON the Local Government Officials, both elected and appointed, responsible to the People’s will in this matter, to deny any furtherance of this redevelopment proposal, and preserve the beauty and historic integrety of the property and business venues entrusted to their protection and administration:

THIS PETITION SIGNED --

(1-31-07 draft)

SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-02-02 14:45 ]

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-02-02 18:27 ]

Good luck with this guys.

I'm rootin for ya!!!

Try that indie 103.1 Joe Escalante (moring show) tip.

He loves it and talks about it some of the time.

Rock on!!

Mahalo nui, RBB, for your cheer and the suggestion!

Let the Warriors who have the Aloha to try in the face of arrogant avarice stand in the moment they are needed.

Aloha nui loa,
SOK
www.yoyoisland

O

Anyone who thinks this is a lost cause needs to believe thats exactly what this developer wants you to think. I believe that the homeowners of Beverly Hills with some help from us and others, can effect a change.
It aint over till it's over. Lets see what the Enviromental Impact Report has to say about this plan of Benny's. Thanks everyone who participated in the Tiki Shout meeting tonight.
Good job on the petition Son of Kelbo

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-02 22:44 ]

Yep...Beverly Hills has no Historic Preservation Ordinance....that means the main defense is going to be a public outcry to amend the city ordinance to allow for the adoption of preservation guidelines. Below is a modified version of the petition that has a model ordinance attached to it. Its long and drawn out, but its in a language that they'll understand. Read it over carefully...I sent a word copy to you Son of Kelbo that can serve as a printable format if everyone agrees that it sounds ok.

Swamp

A PETITION TO SAVE THE HISTORIC BEVERLY HILLS TRADER VIC'S AND SURROUNDING
MID-CENTURY BUILDING COMPLEX

Please feel free to print out this petition and circulate it, gather signatures, and send it to
the [insert mailing address…Beverly Hills Planning Office? You decide where to stockpile this info]
Thank you.
To: Beverly Hills Mayor, Stephen Webb; The City of Beverly Hills City Council; Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa; The City of Los Angeles Community Development Department; The Los Angeles Conservancy, Laura Dishman; Hilton Hotels / Waldorf-Astoria Hotels; Benny Alagem, Oasis Realty
We, the undersigned, believe that enough of our Beverly Hills/California architectural history has been destroyed in the name of progress.
We believe that to allow the circa 1955 Trader Vic’s and associated Beverly Hilton, located in historic Beverly Hills at Wilshire and Santa Monica to be demolished is a crime against the citizens of the city.
In a region where historical attractions account for a great deal of the tourism industry, and to where a large portion of the community’s resources are directed, this building would be a welcome addition to the roster of historically significant attractions this municipality has to offer.
The Trader Vic’s building is an excellent example of Mid-20th Century architectural design that is symbolic of a unique era in California’s entertainment industry. An era whose glamor and elegance we shall never see again except in movies and history books. This particular building is of great historical importance as it still has its original exterior and interior folk art designs intact, including the bass relief South Sea interpretations signed by S.C. Pietro (1955). These artistic impression, created by a local artist, are priceless and could never be replaced if lost.
Such excellent and original structural integrity is a very rare find amongst our state’s historic entertainment facilities. There are very few buildings of this nature remaining in America, and it would be a travesty to lose such a splendid artifact in exchange for the inferior mass produced architectural designs being built within our community today. Indeed, in Beverly Hills, California these rare and wonderfully designed elements of our past should be on the National Register of Historic Places and preserved for future generations to enjoy.
According to the California General Assembly General Statutes the We, the undersigned, recommend that the City of Beverly Hills adopt an historic preservation ordinance to protect its irreplaceable architectural resources. An ordinance, based on examples found in many communities across the United States and around the world would provide the legal standing needed in the future protection of our irreplaceable historic resources. The addition of proposed historic preservation statutes should include the following:
§ Powers of the Beverly Hills Historic Preservation Commission.
A preservation commission established pursuant to this Part may, within the zoning jurisdiction of the municipality:
() Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, pre-historic, architectural, and/or cultural significance;
(
)Recommend to the municipal governing board areas to be designated by ordinance as "Historic Districts"; and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas, or objects to be designated by ordinance as "Landmarks";
and:
() Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolitions, or new construction within historic districts, or for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks, pursuant to this Part; and
(
) Negotiate at any time with the owner of a building, structure, site, area, or object for its acquisition or its preservation, when such action is reasonably necessary or appropriate.
and:
§ Remedies.
In case any building, structure, site, area or object designated as a historic landmark or located within a historic district designated pursuant to this Part is about to be demolished whether as the result of deliberate neglect or otherwise, materially altered, remodeled, removed or destroyed, except in compliance with the ordinance or other provisions of this Part, the city or county, the historic preservation commission, or other party aggrieved by such action may institute any appropriate action or proceedings to prevent such unlawful demolition, destruction, material alteration, remodeling or removal, to restrain, correct or abate such violation, or to prevent any illegal act or conduct with respect to such building, structure, site, area or object. Such remedies shall be in addition to any others authorized by this Chapter for violation of a municipal ordinance.

and:
§ Delay in demolition of landmarks and buildings within historic district.
(*) Intent and Purpose

This Bylaw is adopted for the purpose of preserving and protecting, through advance notice of their proposed demolition, significant buildings within the Community which constitute or reflect distinctive features of the architectural, cultural, political, economic or social history of the Community, to encourage owners of preferably-preserved significant buildings to seek out persons who might be willing to purchase and to preserve, rehabilitate, or restore such buildings rather than demolish them, and by furthering these purposes to promote the public welfare, to preserve the resources of the Community, and to make the Community a more attractive and desirable place in which to live. To achieve these purposes, the (proposed) Beverly Hills Historical Commission is empowered to advise the (proposed) Beverly Hills Building Inspector with respect to the issuance of permits for demolition, and the issuance of demolition permits for significant buildings is regulated as provided in this Bylaw.

(*) Definitions

The following terms, when used whether or not capitalized in this Bylaw, shall have the meanings set forth below, unless the context otherwise requires.
A. "Building" Any combination of materials forming a shelter for persons, animals or property

B. "Significant Building" any building:

1. which is listed on, or is within an area listed on, the National Register of Historic Places, or which is the subject of a pending application for listing on said National Register, or

2. which is or has been listed on an Inventory provided to the Building Inspector by the Commission

C. "Preferably-Preserved Significant Building" any significant building which the Commission determines is in the public interest to be preserved or rehabilitated rather than to be demolished

D. "Commission" - the (proposed) Beverly Hills Historical Commission

E. "Commission Staff" - the chairperson of the Commission, or any person to whom the chairperson has delegated authority to act as Commission staff under this Bylaw

F. "Inventory" - a list of buildings on file at the California Historical Commission that have been designated by the Commission to be significant buildings after a finding by the Commission that a building either

1. is importantly associated with one or more historic persons or events, or with the broad architectural, cultural, political, economic or social history of the community, or

2. is historically or architecturally significant (in terms of period, style, method of building construction, or association with a famous architect or builder) either by itself or in the context of a group of buildings
    G. "Building Inspector" the person occupying the office of Building Inspector or otherwise authorized to issue demolition permits

(Dated Article Code)
H. "Application" an application for a permit for the demolition of a building which shall include a photograph of the building taken within the past year

I. "Permit" A permit issued by the Building Inspector for demolition of a building pursuant to an application therefor

(Dated Article Code)
J. "Demolition" the act of pulling down, destroying, removing, or razing a building, or commencing the work of total or substantial destruction with the intent of completing the same. A structure is considered to be demolished if it is destroyed due to the owner's failure to maintain a watertight and secure structure. A structure shall also be considered to be demolished if more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the front or side elevations are removed or covered. Each elevation shall be calculated separately

K. "Business Day" a day which is not a legal municipal holiday, Saturday or Sunday

(*) Procedure

A. The Building Inspector, on the day of receipt of an application for demolition of a listed significant building or within the next five successive business days, shall cause a copy of each such application for a demolition permit to be forwarded to (or shall satisfy himself that a duplicate of such application has been submitted to) the Commission. No demolition permit shall be issued at that time. Within five business days of the receipt by the Building Inspector of said application he shall personally inspect the site of the proposed demolition to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the application with particular attention to the correctness of the address listed.

(Dated Article Code)
B. The Commission shall fix a reasonable time, within 30 days of receiving a copy of such application, for a hearing on any application and shall give public notice thereof by publishing notice of time, place, and purpose of the hearing in a local newspaper at least fourteen days before said hearing and also, within seven days of said hearing, mail a copy of said notice to the applicant, to the owners of all property deemed by the Commission to be affected thereby as they appear on the most recent local tax list, to the (proposed) Beverly Hills Historic Districts Commission and to such other persons as the Commission shall deem entitled to notice.

C. If, after such hearing, the Commission determines that the demolition of the significant building would not be detrimental to the historical or architectural heritage or resources of the Community, the Commission shall so notify the Building Inspector within ten (10) days of such determination. Upon receipt of such notification, or after the expiration of fifteen (15) days from the date of the conduct of the hearing if he has not received notification from the Commission, the Building Inspector may, subject to the requirements of the State Building Code and any other applicable laws, bylaws, rules and regulations, issue the demolition permit.

D. If the Commission determines that the demolition of the significant building would be detrimental to the historical or architectural heritage or resources of the Community, such building shall be considered a preferably-preserved significant building.

E. Upon a determination by the Commission that the significant building which is the subject of the application for a demolition permit is a preferably-preserved significant building, the Commission shall so advise the applicant and the Building Inspector, and no demolition permit may be issued until at least twelve months after the date of the application for demolition.

(Dated Article Code)

F. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, the Building Inspector may issue a demolition permit for a preferably-preserved significant building at any time after receipt of written advice from the Commission to the effect that either

1. the Commission is satisfied that there is no reasonable likelihood that either the owner or some other person or group is willing to purchase, preserve, rehabilitate or restore such building, or

2. the Commission is satisfied that for at least twelve months the owner has made continuing bona fide and reasonable efforts to locate a purchaser to preserve, rehabilitate and restore the subject building, and that such efforts have been unsuccessful.

(Dated Article Code)

G. No permit for erection of a new structure on the site of an existing significant building may be issued prior to issuance of a permit for demolition of such existing building.

(Dated Article Code)

H. No permit for erection of a new building, paving of drives or for parking shall be issued for two (2) years if a structure is demolished in violation of this bylaw.

(*) Emergency Demolition

Nothing in this article shall be construed to derogate in any way from the authority of the Inspector of Buildings derived from the General Laws. However, before acting pursuant to this chapter the Inspector of Buildings shall make every reasonable effort to inform the Chairperson of the Historical Commission of his intentions to cause demolition before he initiates same.

(*) Historic Districts Act

Nothing in this bylaw shall be deemed to conflict with the provisions of the (proposed) Historic Districts Act, General Laws, with respect to requirements as to
notice, A hearing and issuance by the (proposed) Beverly Hills Historic District Commissions of a certificate of appropriateness, a certificate of non-applicability or a certificate of hardship prior to demolition of any building in an historic district, provided, however, that any temporary building erected or maintained in an historic district pursuant to a certificate issued by the (proposed) Beverly Hills Historic District Commissions may be demolished in a manner not inconsistent with the terms of said certificate.

(Dated Article Code)
(*) Severability

If any section, paragraph or part of this Bylaw is for any reason declared invalid or unconstitutional by any court, every other section, paragraph and part shall continue in full force and effect.
The formalization of these statutes can be overseen by the California Historic Preservation Office
In Conclusion, let it be emphasized that a growing alliance of Beverly Hills residents and business owners are opposed to the adverse environmental and quality-of-life impact of the proposed demolition and redevelopment in the area of Wilshire, Santa Monica Boulevard and Merv Griffen Way. We believe that a compromise can be reached as to the future of the building that will be beneficial to all members of the community. We respectfully request that all alternatives to the demolition of this historic building complex be researched in order to find a way to suit the best interests of the community as a whole.
Sincerely,

(SIGNATURES BELOW:)
(Include signature, printed name, and address)

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-04-01 14:07 ]

I haven't read through all the posts here so excuse me if it's been covered/addressed..

Re: The Petition- You may want to check with officials on who's names will be considered "valid" (and how many needed). Your petition may require the "locals" with addresses within the county? Just a thought- especially if considering opening this up to the entire TC ohana or those of us on the outside..

You are putting lots of thought and research in to this- It's quite impressive. Good luck!

That is a good point Capt about the location and who can sign a petition. I don't know the answer...but this petition guidelineartical might be helpful.

Great Deeds indeed! Save Trader Vic's 90210 !!!

I just skimmed through the petition and like the wording...so here is my feedback;

TYPO: "Indeed, in Beverly Hills, Californian these rare and wonderfully" (remove the N...it should be California)

REMOVE PERIOD: "(*) .Recommend to the municipal governing board areas" (prior to Recommend.....remove the priod)

I assume the rest is copied from another similar document....nice work. :)

ST

Great article on petitions. We all know that common sense does not play well with politics sometimes, but it would seem to me that a local government whose economy partly depends upon tourism would be highly interested in the thoughts and opinions of those who travel into the jurisdiction once or twice a year on business and holiday...But no matter what I think, the success on the frontline depends upon the actions of those within the State of California and the Beverly Hills community. These are the ones who are directly impacted by progressive or poor civic decisions.

Hell, I thought we lived in a "world community" these days...

Swamp

ST

Great editing. Yea, I pulled the commission data and the stay of demolitions from one of the Comprehensive Plans I've written...seems Beverly Hills needs a historic preservation jump start.

Swamp

I'm with ya on the "world community" thing. Interesting how we try to hard to be a big melting pot, but we are called to jury duty only in our own county, can only vote in our own county, have to print user guides in 100 languages, etc. Hmmmmm....that melting pot thing is not really on a high boil. Great job though Swamp!!!

ST

Thanks VRN...

O
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.