Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TC to save TV

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies

Thanks for all the hard work everyone is putting into this.

Tim...I like your idea to (There is a hallway between the Hlton and TV that apparently has a gallery of photograpks that I plan to check out soon.) if I was in SoCal, I would help you out with that. I do think the history angle is a good one. :)

Looking forward to rallying with the other groups and adding additional validity to the movement to preserve this mid-century architectural/entertainment icon. Great job organizing the Shout info.

Swamp

H

Last time I was in that hallway, I remember seeing Ronald Reagan's picture. Otherwise Frank, Sammy, Merv, Cary Grant is all I remember. Tim you will enjoy the photos they are amazing.

TS

Vampiress, Tim & S-O-K, you guys should be commended for your efforts... But until you think about moving away from the shout board, I cannot tolerate what you have already endured. Some people on Shout, without putting anyones name on "blast", shouldn't be welcomed to participate(hence the problem with a public chatroom "SHOUT"). They dont stick within the topic, and seem to be more of a disruption than anything else. Move it to a yahoo chatroom,AIM chatroom or something else and that way you can invite the people who are TRYING to save Trader Vics, not people who criticise the movement to save the location. Trader Vic's needs positive input, NOT positive interruptions, and some a$$holes just have no fu××ing respect, even if the online meeting is only for a half hour.Do some gardening,and WEED out the bad seeds. If you decided to use a private AIM or yahoo room, then if people were truly interested in saving TV, they could contact any 3 of you to get access to the room.Just a suggestion....

O

Just a reminder that some us us plan to meet this Saturday at Trader Vic's in the bar for drinks and Pu Pu's.
I don't usually dress up but out of traditon where they would loan you a dinner jacket if you didn't wear one in the day, I will this Saturday.

A private chat would be a good idea. I don't think people mean to insult so best not to take things personally, at least that is my MO. A private chat would not hose up Shout for those that are having fun and would also help those interested in the cause to stay on topic. I vote for AIM next time around and would be happy to host the room. I would love to hear how the TV event turns out. I don't know that we will prevent the death of TV 90210, but it is worth the small effort we make. Thanks for the great suggestion...I am sure we can make that happen and I do like working in a positive environment. :)

Great idea, VampRN. Let us know here on TC, or via PM or email how we can proceed. BTW, does this mean we're not going to meet via TikiShout tommorrow? I'm okay if we still want to (I'll just wear my asbestos sarong, in case Jar Jar and friends want to play with the flamethrower again...). Let us know?

As for the online-petition-thing, I've been trying to gather the proper email addresses to send our "virtual votes" to (and been a bit crunched on the workfront). I'm still trying to figure out whether to run up a separate website (which has been built, but not vetted), or to just put the "voting graphic" on TC, and invite those viewing the pending "Tally Thread" to simply announce that they've "voted" at the same time. The latter almost seems more cut-to-the-chase. Opinions?

Recent News:

I finally got a callback from the California Office of Historic Preservation, but they're "all hat and no cattle", as the phrase goes. As Patricia Ambacher there explained to me, no "declaration of eligibility" they might make is binding or enforceably protective of any structure, and they can't even do that "over the property owner's objection", so, unless Mr. Alagem and Oasis Realty decide to switch sides on their own development project, they're no help at all. All power to preserve or demolish Trader Vic's Beverly Hills "rests with the local government", period.

I got a very positive callback from Jay Platt at the LA Conservancy (after trying to reach Linda Dishman), who asked me to email him my notes and contact info up to this point (which I did), and said they had been meeting with the "Modern Committee" (in association with LottaLiving), including the grandson of Welton Becket, TV's architect. He said they would discuss how to bring TC'ers into the mix. I told him about the planned gatherings at TV's BH this Saturday, 2-17, and next month, 3-17, and he said he may be able to attend the latter and gave me the impression he would pass the word along. I expect we may hear from them presently.

I have contacted Robert Tanenbaum and his representative Richard Tarlon at a phone number I was given through the Beverly Hills Homeowners Association, spoken with Mr. Tanenbaum once and Mr. Tarlon several times, and snailmailed them a copy of the first working draft of a petition (they accept no emails), but I have not received any direct comment on the petition itself. This was sent a day or two before SwampTiki drafted the much more detailed petition we have on hand, and I have called to mention that it exists, and offered to send it to them for their comments and suggestions. Mr. Tarlon said he would ask "someone else" if they wanted to get back to us, and I have received no further contact as of this week, so I must presume that they are not interested in, or in availing themselves of, any aspect of our efforts. Certainly our overtures have not been received warmly.

More poi as it pounds out, and meanwhile, LET'S LUAU at TV's 90210 this Saturday -- 5:30pm. It may be a pretty unorganized war council, but at least a few drinks will probably make things go downhill from there...

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-02-15 17:10 ]

SoK and VRN

I am sorry to hear that the Preservation contact was weak.. Sometimes it depends on who you talk to. I know that over here we have a few rabid advocates in the state office that lunge at the chance to get things like this off the ground. It is their job to approach Alagem and others like him with the financial incentives that make preserving historic structures and historically significant site profitable. Some are proactive, some are not.

Hmmmmm. The local homeowners crowd may have to be paid a visit. When do they meet? I know that time is valuable but they really need to be made to understand that this is a legitimate concern by a growing number of people and that their cause would be strengthened with our involvement.....

I believe that the chat site is a good idea. Those interested should be made aware of the site and hopefully we can avoid the tasteless interjection received the other night by folks who get a kick out of rocking the boat (no matter how serious or mundane). There are a growing number of concerned historic preservation professionals and lamen following this issue east of the Rockies. Many I have had contact with are regulars to the Atlanta TVs and make it a point to visit Trader Vic's locations around the world just out of appreciation for what we have here.
I truly believe that this will continue to grow once out of the box.

As with you two, I too stay busy but stop and think about this project two or three times during the day wondering what else I and we as a group can come up with. I appreciate the hard work that has gone into this and hope that whatever happens we will make it a point to cross paths and toast a Mai Tai. Thanks for copying me on this update. I'll be at the Shout if its on.

Swamp

I think it is the courteous thing to leave Shout open for anyone and any opinions, afterall that is what Shout is about and we should resepct that. Taking over Shout for the TV cause isn't fair, so I will host an AIM for us.

I will open an AIM meeting tomorrow (Friday) at 7pm. If you want to join, please pm me with your AIM name. Mine is.....VampiressRN.....that's different isn't it...LOL. I will send you the meeting name or an invite.

If you don't have AIM, it is free, so download version 6.0

Wow SOK....you have been quite busy on the phone...cheers to you for all that hard work. If nothing happens from all your energy and that of everyone supporting the cause, this is certainly an opportunity for folks to appreciate the dedication and love for tiki that the TCers have. Things happen for a reason, so if TV is to be saved, our involvement will be from the heart and truly appreciated. If TV is lost, this may have been just a practice in ethics/government/business to prepare us for other ventures in life.

Kudos to all helping in this cause. Please join us for an AIM chat tomorrow night. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-15 19:41 ]

SOK, Swamp, Otai....check your email. :)

On 2007-02-15 12:07, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
I got a very positive callback from Jay Platt at the LA Conservancy (after trying to reach Linda Dishman), who asked me to email him my notes and contact info up to this point (which I did), and said they had been meeting with the "Modern Committee" (in association with LottaLiving), including the grandson of Welton Becket, TV's architect. He said they would discuss how to bring TC'ers into the mix. I told him about the planned gatherings at TV's BH this Saturday, 2-17, and next month, 3-17, and he said he may be able to attend the latter and gave me the impression he would pass the word along. I expect we may hear from them presently.

Actually, it's Bruce Beckett (Welton's son) that the LAC have been talking with for quite some time now. Bruce is also an architect and maintains the archives of his father's work. There's an entire volume of gorgeous vintage architectural photos for each of Welton's buildings. Welton designed the entire Beverly Hilton, not just TV's. Bruce has been keeping an eye on the whole situation as he wants to see as much of his father's original designs preserved, not to mention trying to help prevent the traffic catastrophe the developers want to build.

Did anyone catch the bit on KCET last week about TV's and the Beverly Hilton? I know Cindy Olnick was wanting to use some of those photos I scanned last summer in the segment they aired. But I don't know what show it was. Just wondering if anyone got to see it.

Staying in contact with the LAC and the Modern Committee is your best bet for helping the preservation cause. They have the expertise to know what is needed most at any given time. Here is the info for the next ModCom meeting:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8583

Allrighty, here's an excerpt from an article on which I've been working for some time. While I hate to give away the good stuff, it seems very important now! Hope this list helps.

A waiter tells of his first night working "The Celebrity Room" at the BHTV's:

“Oh, it was great! Sydney Poitier was there, Frank Sinatra – he was there with his daughter Nancy for her birthday. EVERYone greeted Frank; everyone stopped by his table. Let’s see, Zsa Zsa Gabor – she gave half her Chateaubriand to her poodle, Tommy Sands, Joey Bishop, Edgar Bergen with Charlie McCarthy, and Yul Brynner. Randolph Scott was there and Ray Milland – they kept talking about their Chinese cook. If you were a star, you got seated in the Celebrity Room.”

That's all he could think of at that time. No photos, unfortunately :(
F

Vintage...thanks for the link.

Formika....that was a great little virtual trip...how fun. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-16 06:09 ]

O

Thanks Vintage Girl for the link for Mod Com info and Formikahini for the great excerpt from your article.I would love to read the entire piece sometime.
While I am there tomorrow I will look for some of those people in the gallery. My boss tells me that Nikita Krushchev went there after watching the filming of Can Can with Marylin Monroe. During this same visit Krushchev attempted to visit Disneyland but Walt Disney refused to let him into the park and confronted him at the entrance.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-16 16:02 ]

I've emailed and signed Nancy Sinatras official website guestbook today in hopes this location holds a warm spot in her heart. The daughter of "The Chairman of the Board" would be an iconic legendary celebrity supporter we sure need and could use her support.Let's see how often Ms. Sinatra or her webmaster checks mails and guestbook signings(fingers crossed)!

P

During this same visit Kruschef attempted to visit Disneyland but Walt Disney refused to let him into the park and confronted him at the entrance.

Partially untrue. Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev was denied Disneyland, but it was not Walt that denied him. In fact...Walt stated at the time in interviews that he was very disappointed the Soviet leader was not permitted to visit his park, and was hoping to show off his (then) brand new submarine fleet to the Soviet leader. :)

Mr. Khrushchev never even made it down to Orange County or Disneyland. The truth is that the various security and law enforcement agencies felt they couldn't provide enough security to Mr. Khrushchev on such short notice. His wife and children were given the option to go, but in light of the now-famous tirade from her husband on the matter, she declined. For more info, see this urban legend page:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/nikita.asp

:)

O

I stand corrected, at the bottom of the page you linked it states that other sources claim Walt had denied him entry into the park but that it was not true.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-16 13:47 ]

I have AIM open....so pm me your name and let's give it a try tonight. :)

P

My boss tells me that Nikita Krushchev went there [Trader Vic's] after watching the filming of Can Can

I just spent some time trying to help out in this regards by doing various internet searches. Couldn't come up with any direct evidence of Khrushchev visiting Trader Vic's while in Los Angeles (he was only here for the one afternoon and night).

It's clear that he had lunch at 20th Century Fox, where much of the Disneyland flap manifested itself. He then was limo'd off to the San Fernando Valley to look at some new housing developments, where he was still so pissed off that he refused to leave the car. :)

It then appears he attended an official civic dinner of some sort, where a lot more fireworks took place. From official (now declassifed) State Department reports to the President of the United States, at the time:

During the first part of his trip an accumulation of irritants (occasional recurrence of critical questions, statements made by American speakers regarding the US which he considered critical of the USSR by implication, refutation by them of critical points regarding the US that he had previously made, the cool reception he was getting from the crowds along his route, security measures which prevented him from mingling with the public and which in any event he probably considered excessive and humiliating), in combination with his own growing fatigue and certain specific incidents during his stay in Los Angeles, led to a threatening display of his anger at the Los Angeles civic dinner given him on the evening of September 19./4/

/4/See footnotes 1 and 2, Document 119.

The Los Angeles irritants included a one-line speech of greeting at the airport by Mayor Poulson (Khrushchev put aside a prepared text and gave an equally brief reply),/5/ the absence of the public from the airport ceremony, a report that the local police authorities would be unable to assure his security if he visited Disneyland, the sparsity of crowds along his routes through the city (which had not been announced), a rather undignified public polemical discussion with Spyrous Skouras at the 20th Century Fox luncheon/6/ (where Khrushchev publicly complained about the Disneyland matter), and the tasteless display put on for his benefit by the cast of "Can Can."

That evening at the civic dinner Khrushchev took violent issue with a relatively inoffensive speech made by the mayor by insulting him, threatening to go home, threatening a renewal and implied intensification of the cold war, boasting of the USSR's serial production of ICBM's, etc. Even in this angriest of his performances, Khrushchev, however, continued to praise the President, contrasting his realistic and courageous attitude with those who, he claimed, failed to understand the seriousness of the alternatives facing the world (which he variously described as war and peace and as detente and a dangerous continuation of the cold war). Mme Khrushcheva later stated privately that her husband "completely lost his temper in Los Angeles" and attributed his tactions to fatigue./7/

The above from the U.S. Department of State Office of the Historian Vol. X, Part 1, FRUS, 1958-60: E. Europe Region; Soviet Union; Cyprus

After this civic dinner, reports are that an upset, frustrated, and fatigued Khrushchev retreated directly to his suite at the Ambassador Hotel. The next morning he departed the hotel directly to Union Station and boarded a train to head north on the rest of his west coast tour.

These reports go into great detail about most of Mr. Khrushchev's day in Los Angeles, and there is no mention of Trader Vic's anywhere. That's not to say that he might not have gone there. But on the surface it sounds to me like he did not.

There is mention of a complete "three-page summary of arrangements, itinerary, and the general course of Khrushchev's visit to the United States"...but I have been unable to locate it online.

On a more humorous note (not that the above isn't pretty darn funny in and of itself :wink:)...I did find these two little gems elsewhere while searching. Though neither may be the kind of cultural "ammunition" you're looking for. :wink:

The first is from the infamous Eustace Tilley...the fictional top-hatted, debonair dandy and mascot of the New Yorker magazine, whose character writes of how Trader Vic's and a Scorpion Bowl there, practically saved him from being whacked by Charles Manson's followers!

I had some close calls in the sixties, which, as you may know, was a time of great upheaval and confusion. I was nearly garroted by drug mad hippies who went on a killing spree in the Hollywood Hills in 1969. Earlier that night, I had been at a wonderful gathering at Trader Vic's where I met a Polish fellow named Frykowski who invited me up to his friend and fellow Pollack Roman Polanski's place on Cielo Drive for some grass and skinny dipping.

At the time this appealing invitation was proffered, I was trying to coax Capucine and a go-go girl I'd met on Sunset into a threesome using a Scorpion Bowl slightly smaller than the Sargasso Sea and I transposed the numbers in Polanski's address. Good thing I did, or I might've been mutilated like all those poor, beautiful people. I also might not have bedded Capucine and the dancer—I think her name was Aurora—on the big circular bed in Omar Sharif's guest house.

While that's pure fiction...I think it does provide evidence of Trader Vic's Beverly Hills important place in the popular culture...all the way in New York City! :wink:

The second piece is apparently completely true...though perhaps nothing necessarily to be proud about as something historically important (well...except perhaps to us here on Tiki Central :wink:). It's an entry from a Marilyn Monroe datebook/timeline:

2 June 62 Celebrates her birthday with Frank Sinatra at Trader Vic’s and gets quite drunk

Sorry. Best I could research and come up with, sober. :)

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-02-16 22:16 ]

(It's not only Tom Slick that ROCKS...)

Check this MAJOR PING-BACK FROM THE RISING 'OHANA...!

Let the drums be heard. Let the voices be raised. Hear the outcry -- SAVE TRADER VIC'S BEVERLY HILLS!

Join the Fighters. No cause is lost while the fight is being fought. Hear the drums, and know their beat speaks of what must be spoken for; we will not let this go down without contention. We will not lose another great place in our culture. We will rise up, and beat the drum, and be heard. We will try to win this.

We will have Flaming Beef Cho-Cho's at Trader Vic's 90210 on Saturday night, 2-17-07. And that is JUST THE TECH REHEARSAL FOR 3-17-07.

(Sure, maybe you've got a fave bar to hit on St. Patty's Day. Sure, an' you'll be there, too. But wherever you've been to, and wherever you're going to (with a designated Driver, o'course), Alter Course For (at least) One Round, and pilot your canoe into TV's 90210, to storm the bar and join the rising chant: "SAVE TRADER VIC'S BEVERLY HILLS!"

Bend an elbow on the same Spot-on-Earth where The Duke, The Chairman of the Board, The President of Camelot, The Friend of E.T. -- The Many More Ones-Who-We-Have-Cherished for their luminary brilliance, have also laughed, sang, entertained, as has happened nowhere else. Come join the Spirits of those departed, and the Spirit of those who in our time keep the flame dancing with brilliance and beauty. Come Saturday 2-17-07, if you can. Come Saturday 3-17-07, because You Are Called.

Make a big noise on the Drums. Make a noise that will be heard, because you are alive, and you care, and you are willing to make a noise that will be heard.

Cheers and Onipa'a!
SOK

(Aloha nui loa to OT, VRN, ST, TS, HT, PE, VG, FK, SP, and everyone else who has helped to hew the war canoe. Let us dig into the sea with vigor, and go into battle with a great song.)

P

We will have Flaming Beef Cho-Cho's at Trader Vic's 90210 on Saturday night, 2-17-07.

Any specific time you plan to be there? I'm out sailing with some clients today out of San Pedro...and we're due back to port around 4pm and I'm done with them at that point. Might be able to swing by. :)

Is it any help that Phil Spector dropped by the B.H. Trader Vic's before he went home that night and played Russian Roulette with his escort? Maybe he even had a "Gun Club" cocktail there, and then...

Maybe not. Sorry, bad joke. I will try my damndest to come by tonight, to show my emotional support.

TS

I would have loved to have made it, but unfortunately work comes first...I get off at 8pm,which would be too late by the time I drive that way.I will however in my personal fight, try to keep contacting figures of interest to save TV. Keep fighting the good fight!
now back to work i go...

O

What a great turnout! Thanks to everyone from TC and Lotta Living and everyone else who showed up and showed their support for this great cause. With your help to preserve Trader Vic's Bevery Hill's, we can make a dfference.
It was a great showng of Tiki Central members. Hanford, Humu Humu, Big Bro Tiki, Tikibars, Grog, Jeff Central ,Son of Kelbo, Hiltiki, Premex, Tiki Kahliki and many others.

I could keep going but I'm sure the pictures can tell a better story.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/45d8beb8.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5344/45d8b093.jpg)

[

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-20 19:59 ]

Wow Great pics, Unfortunetly i was in San Diego last night,
But I might swing by this evening, probably on the ealry side.
around 5 ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

Yes...great pics. Thanks! :)

And Thanks to all that made this "newbie" feel quite welcomed.

We must carry on the fight to keep this historic piece of National, Local, and Tiki history alive in its current historic location!

Fabulous pictures....and thanks for the walk down the hall of picnoire....just great!!! Looks like you all had a great time for a good cause. I am definitely going to stop by there next time I zip through LA. :wink:

Great Pictures you guys...the turn out did look great. I sure wish I was there in person but spirit is just going to have to dofor now. Sure am proud of your leg work SoK, O.T, VRN....Here's to keeping the momentum up...Hey, did anyone toss back a Mai Tai in the name of ole' Swamp?

Hang Loose, you all.

I forgot to mention that another way to help in preservation efforts is to make any skill you have known to the ModCom. Of course, people in the legal or architectural professions who are willing to volunteer their time and expertise are always in high demand, but other skills such as graphic design or coordinating are also valuable. Over the years I have done photography, photo scanning, vintage fashion modeling and even serving pie and coffee for the LA Conservancy/ModCom.

Also, just a reminder that if you really want to learn the ins and outs of preservation from people that have years of experience, the best way is to attend the next ModCom meeting tomorrow:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8583
No invitation needed! Granted, there are a number of issues on their agenda for them right now such as Johnie's Broiler in Downey, but the Beverly Hilton/Trader Vic's is also a concern they have been working on since last spring.

Terrific Pics, Ojaitimo Tim! A wonderful account of last Saturday evening, and a compelling retrospective of the historic merit and importance of Trader Vic's Beverly Hills.

And a heartening turnout by everybody who could make it! It was splendid having an opportunity to meet with the TC-ers in the Marco Polo Room and around the Bar, who could gather there to wave the flag a bit and discuss how we might carry on the fight to save TV's 90210. Libby and I had a blast returning to the "scene of the crime" (our wedding reception in the Garden Room) with some friends from that occasion who joined our group, Scott Hunter (son of Jeffry Hunter), and his new bride Viechel.

I am entirely unashamed to have asked Sven to autograph my copy of the Book of Tiki (wouldn' you, too?), which he did with great generosity and aplomb. Mr. Kirsten's book was a beacon across a sea of scattered islands, which has helped to give focus and perspective to a cultural revival that continues to bring together so many who remember the old times, and new enthusiasts who are discovering the contemporary vibrancy of this scene, every year since its publication.

The general native crowd, beyond those of us who were there with the intention of rallying to save TV's BH, was large and loud (the place was packed!), so let's put the lie to any pronouncements from "demolition-minded quarters" that Trader Vic's has seen its day. It's as lively a nexus among LA's nightspots as it ever was, and any PR to the contrary is bilge from the bulldozer's camp, period.

And yes, SwampTiki, you were thought of, and mentioned more than once during the course if the evening. Can't recall if we actually knocked back a Mai Tai or two in your name, though, so I'll take tare of that right now...

Cheers and aloha nui to all who could be there, and all who were with us in spirit. Let's do it again in one month (3-17-07), and ride a petition swell to save this great place from the wrecking ball.

SOK

Glad it was a good turn-out. If you do a rally at TV 90210.....how about if the NorCal faction supports it with a rally on the same night (3/17) at the Emeryville TV? Maybe we can get some local news coverage or something. Hey SOK, let me know if you firm up plans and I can try to organize the Emeryville group.

Aloha VRN,

Just got your PM, and am making sure that toast is covered as well :wink: Of course I'm pretty sure we did toast you, but by the time I saw more than two little Menehunes grinning at me, I can't swear to anything , so, just to be on the safe side...

Cheers,
SOK

Outstanding call, VRN. In fact, let's get some traction on that in the coming days...

SOK

O

Bill Maher interview in the current issue of Rolling Stone:

We take a short cut behind the Beverly Hills Hotel, passing Trader Vic's. "When I was a gay blade, wooing young starlets, that was one of my favorite spots, " Maher says. "It was great, those sweet tropical drinks. You give them one, and they'd be oozing out of their seats."

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his time plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-22 08:26 ]

Are you getting together again at TV 90210 on March 17th?

Saturday March 17th at Trader Vic's 90210 is a date set for all the Ohana who can and want to gather there to show solidarity to save it from the bulldozers. Sundown has been suggested, but the actual time will most likely be posted here by some-or-other of the fighters here before long.

The idea that similar gatherings could/should take place at all the other Trader Vic's across the country and around the world on the same day (St.Patty's) has been raised, and that could help focus media attention on this campaign. It would require someone near each Trader Vic's to rally RSVP's and book reservations with TV's management. It would require that everybody take pictures, and those pics got posted on TC. These could be coordinated into a media-collage, and maybe in addition to trying to get broadcast attention, we could gang them up in some related way on YouTube.

As our 2-17 proto-gathering was heartening-but-unorganized, it's probably a good idea to do the same with TV's 90210, before this week is out. There is a "virtual vote" website standing by for the Ohana to use as a means of emailing "Save Trader Vic's 90210" graphic ballots to the powers-that-be, and its link will be posted in a new thead on TC before 3-17 (it was going to be posted earlier last week, but there was some concern about better coordinating it with next month's gathering). "Voters" will post here to tally and share the vote count with the Ohana. This is intended to be a tally post only; non-voting posts will be eliminated by participating Moderators. Commentary should be posted in tandem on this thread, as it has been.

I haven't had time these past few days to follow up with the LA Conservancy (who requested via email all my contact logs and information some ten days ago). The rep there who contacted me said they would be in touch soon, with some suggestion about how we may dovetail into their efforts. Perhaps we should chase them a little?

Likewise, no word back from Trader Vic's Corporate, and there has been some opinion from "certain luminaries" among the Ohana that they ought to care at least as much as those trying to save their joint for them. I agree, but don't want to let my own efforts languish waiting for them to publicly come out on the issue (which "certain sources" there have "unofficially" expressed their support for). Still waiting for the "public statement" they've said is forthcoming, but this campaign may have to proceed in parallel to their PR willies.

One thing's for sure, it's coming close to the time for everybody who actually wants to do their bit to make this protest heard by those responsible for, and capable of, taking action to preserve the fate of Trader Vic's Beverly Hills, to act up a little, show up a lot, and fan the tiki-torches. While it still stands, there's always a chance to save it.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

(p.s.: I will call Chai at TV's 90210 this evening/tomorrow and begin an overture to make group reservations. Those who officially wish to attend on 3-17 will be asked to post their RSVP here, or in PM. More on this by mid-week.)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-02-26 16:12 ]

In regards to Trader Vic's headquarters uncommitted reaction, I can only guess that:

A.) They do not officially want to go up against Hilton or shareholders to keep a line open for future branches in other locations
B.) The sense that I am getting within the company is that there are differing opinions about the value of "old" locations, and that the winning opinion is that the "dated" concept only appeals to a minority, and that in the restaurant industry nowadays everything older than 10 years is considered outdated.
It seems that these forces are more into creating NEW locations, which means more cash flow and active business, which proves they are a viable entity within the industry. AND new locations means riddance of old, restricting contracts. The goal is rejuvenation, not preservation.

It cannot be an accident that, though ironically the Book of Tiki had a decisive influence on the the Tiki revival as a whole, and, with a big chapter devoted to the chain, also the revival of Trader Vic's (see predominantly closures in the 90s, but then predominantly new openings since the 2000), NONE of the new branches have succeeded to recapture the magic represented within its pages.

Or in other words: When looking at the BOT, people see the images and LIKE Tiki style (and Trader Vic's) BECAUSE of these images, and want to go to places LIKE those in the book. So why, when coasting on that desire, does T.V. provide "modernized" versions of that, which go only half way? Because the thinking of restaurant industry business people functions in different ways than that of the people who seek Tiki experiences, unfortunately.

This is not a value judgement, just an observation brought into this for consideration.

Which means it is useless do get frustrated with Trader Vic's non-commital responses, and to go for what WE know and like: Classic American Polynesian style. And, my senses tell me, the chances for success are NOT stacked in the developer's favor.

Have to agree with SOK and BigBro on the last two posts. I think it is a positive action for us to do what we can to support the preservation of TV 90210. And like said....renewal of the style seldom supports the feel of an original.

I will do what I can to organize the Northern California support through a March 17th gathering at the Trader Vics in Emeryville.

I will post the information in the California events forum. :tiki:

I agree with the last series of posts. Modern architects and designers have a real problem with recreating vintage style. I believe it is primarily due to a very limited understanding of scale, depth, and aesthetic relationships. Today's academic institutions spend very little time discussing historic architecture...in the depth for true understanding anyway. It doesn't matter if a building's attributes are associated with a high style Queen Anne house, a turn of the century commercial building, or the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's, a complete understanding of the elements of style is required for proper restoration, rehabilitation, or reconstruction. It is my opinion that in academia too much time is spent on "mind-numbing theory courses" rather than down and dirty work. As a result, these upstart professionals marching from our sacred institutions tend loose site of what is preferred among the masses. The incessant desire to "one-up" the previous generation has resulted in an unexpected drop in quality. Innovative architectural style began to wane by the mid-1970s, by the 1980s it had completely died. From the 1980s to the present little advancement has been made. What has been built, large and small, is typically created from inferior, mass-produced, pre-cast materials. Money doesn't always buy quality these days. Sadly, the modern buildings that are washing across our sprawl-induced landscape painfully lack the creative inventiveness of the artisan-enriched architecture of old.....aarrrrrgh!

Sorry 'bout the rant, but I needed to vent.

I have contacted the Atlanta Trader Vic's. The person I spoke with stated that would like to take part in a nation-wide link up celebratory event to generate interest in preserving Trader Vic's 90210.

Any news on the nation?

Swamp
(Proud supporter of the Trader Vic's Preservation Action Committee)

On 2007-02-26 20:05, Swamp Tiki wrote:
The incessant desire to "one-up" the previous generation has resulted in an unexpected drop in quality.

Hear hear! By the greedy hands of ignorant developers, Frank Lloyd Wright was turned into Frank Lloyd Wrong.

The city of Beverly Hill's needs to approve a Enviromental Impact Report before they can bulldoze and build. Son of Kelbo tells me that this intersection is already one of the busiest in California or is it the nation SOK?.
This whole affair about Trader Vic's reminds me of the film "Chinatown" Slimey. With enough attention focused on 90210, who knows what could happen.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-26 23:26 ]

"Fourth busisest intersection in the United States," according to the Auto Club, as told to me by an associate of the former two-term mayor of Beverly Hills.

Nobody in "their" office appears to want to dovetail with our gathering protest (could it be "that tiki-thing" we're mixed up with?), but they (I can't say which "they", 'cause "they" won't allow themselves to be quoted publicly in our posts -- (I am presuming it to be alright to quote the quote from the Auto Club which they quoted to me...) -- er, they, that is the them that answer the phones at the number given out by the Beverly Hills Homeowners Association, are very concerned about the mind-boggling tonnage of dirt that four-stories-down of excavation on multiple sites would load into an interminable number of big giant trucks, for what would surely seem like an endless procession, into said intersection's traffic flow (if flow you can call it).

Follow that, months later and for months-on-end, with a convoy of construction equipment that would be needed to build the monstrosity the developers have in mind, and Wilshire & Santa Monica makes The Big Dig look like a modest beautification project. After it's all over, add a permanant order-of-magnitude increase in traffic and parking hassles, supersized to match the volume of the vacuum of multiple gigantic towers. Wow. I wonder if the developers will live there with the rest of the suckers they're planning to shakedown to build their nightmare. Maybe they'll live someplace else. Some vastly-less-crowded someplace else. Wouldn't you, if you made a pile off the deal? Used to be a nice place, Beverly Hills...

I wouldn't want to live there, even if my residual checks were fat enough. And even if they ever get fat enough, I wouldn't want to live in a "Manhattenized" version of Beverly Hills, period.

But our mission is to Save Trader Vic's BH, not join the BH Homeowners, unless somebody from their camp wants to let someone in our camp know that our efforts can be useful to them. If we can help them save the shoreline of their town from irreversible condo-esque blight, and in doing so preserve our treasured bit of cultural heritage, then great, but if they want us to chase after them with our support, they'll have to show a little bit more "come-hither" than they're doing so far.

If all we can do is raise enough noise and ire to fold Trader Vic's into the same kind of preservation arrangement that so perfectly and urbanely saved the Cinerama Dome at Arclight, then that may do well enough for the "tiki crowd". But can the tiki-crowd do it without the voting block from the BH Homeowners? Call 'em, mail 'em, let 'em know were there for them (I have), and let's hope they're not too proud to get help from sincere, if unorthodox, sources...

Er, I guess that rant-thing is contageous, Swamp. Ah well, I'm with the TVsPAC in whatever capacity I can be, and am way-stoked to hear SwampTiki has got his paddle digging waves with the Atlanta (LA's Sister City, yes?) TV's for the upcoming 17th. VampRN says she's going to fan the coals at the Emeryville TV's, and TV's Beverly Hills has been contacted as well this afternoon -- reservations have been formally set for a TC gathering on the same date, as has been intended.

Now, Who's going to RSVP for Trader Vic's 90210 on Sat. 3-17, and who's going to be the next to post they've contacted their own local Trader Vic's for the St. Patty's Day link-up. Watch or do, 'sup to you...

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

Wish I could be there on the 17th, but I won't be able to. I will be there for dinner on the 8th, as my fiancee and I are going there for a romantic dinner while we are in town for a couple days. I've not been, and want to make sure to go, in case all of your admirable efforts don't have the success we desire.

Chris

Where I will be on the 17th they actually have a Trader Vic's (sort of), but I doubt that the Havana location will carry any weight in the American effort...maybe I can arrange for a Santeria spell.

Actually the Havanna site is an important location for Trader Vic's. I hope you can get some photographs. If they stop you tell them that you are a Grand member with 4 years. This should help down in Cuba Bigbrotiki. I knew this star was good for something.

What is that shiny red star next to my name?! Grand Member (4 years)

This is my RSVP for March 17th at TraderVic's 90210

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-27 10:42 ]

Wishing you a bevy of beautiful babaloos, BBT, and glad to hear you'll be with us "in spirit". (I'm sure the spirits will be damn fine in Havana; I'd be a tad jealous, if I weren't planning to be in my favorite Trader Vic's in the heart of glamorous Beverly Hills at the same time)...

Let's see how many of the Ohana can seize their own TV's around the nation and around the world, and record one phone call (cell, land line, or Voip) from each group on that night, calling for the preservation of TV's 90210. Oooo. We'll burn a collection CD of 'em and ask Stephanie Powers to give it to Huel Howser. Or something like that (?). We'll post a call-in number if the idea catches on.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

Luckily, I am already properly introduced: Three years ago, my German gaffer took a vacation in Cuba and dropped the BOT by the Havana Trader. They were so thrilled, they treated him to a full meal and drinks, and gave him a fog cutter mug, a skull mug, a photo, and a menu to pass on to me (the classic T.V.'s menu, x-ept it says "Polynesio" where Trader Vic's used to be).
Judging by the photo though, it does not seem THAT impressive. From what I understand, the place was cleared out after the revolution, and when Castro decided that tourism was good, it got re-installed. It will be an experience nevertheless!

---And now back to our regular programming!

On 2007-02-09 19:57, pablus wrote:
Red star?

BUNCHA COMMIES!!!!

Lets save Havana Trader Vic's next

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his time plays many parts. William Shakespere

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-27 12:03 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies