Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new stone pieces and wood Tangaroa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies

well, here's a few to start things off. i was getting cought up with resizing for a while, thinking they should show up smaller.
looking over all the great work in these threads has really inspired me to be thinking of carving/techniques/styles these last two days. i can see these forums will become a great new source for me. won't feel alone in it (as i have sometimes)when i know i can post 'in progress' shots anytime, get differant perspectives, advise, etc. maybe even meet and visit some of you in fl.
thanks for the warm welcome!

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-05-22 20:22 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-06-27 19:31 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-07-28 14:12 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-08-10 19:08 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-08-16 06:28 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-08-18 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-09-04 19:01 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2008-03-07 23:14 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2008-06-09 20:56 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2009-05-08 12:26 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2009-05-29 15:44 ]

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 9:50 AM

Welcome to TC! You have some really great tikis here! I like the teeth on those guys, how did you do that? Did you round out the wood and then paint them? I really like that second picture. It looks like the one on the right is saying to the other one, "Wait, stay completely still, if you don't move they won't see us!" Ha Ha You have a lot of nice detail in there. I like the moko on the left guy's face. Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Zaya

hey Zaya- thanks a lot! yea,i have to be carefull when those two get together! the teeth on that one are shell. i just recently took the time to gather a bucket full of the little critters. takes longer than i like! i just bore out a shallow root hole for each, then cement them into place. cool effect. like the idea of incorperating ocean objects into these guys.

Welcome to TC from one of your fellow FL ohana. Your tikis are great - strong, deep cuts - unusual frist many peoples firsts. You will definatley fit in around here and find that Florida is full of more tiki than you think. keep the pictures comin.

C

Very strong Tikis you got there! I like your style, Congrats!

Very nice....and I like those shell teeth. They look quite comfortable in their tropical fauna. :tiki:

welcome! you got some great tikis going for you there. they are gonna be quite the hit on TC here. really hope to see more soon. great work.
i think you will find it pretty welcoming here

M

Welcome to TC !!! Your style is very strong and like Aloha said, your cuts are nice and seep. Keep em coming. We swing through St Pete one a month or so to go to the VIP for texmex (on Treasure Island). Should hook up sometime.

Mahalo

McTiki

thanks everyone! what a supportive crowd! i regret not trying out tc afew yrs ago when first discovering this and kona kai. i only just recently started to actualy look into it. i do that a lot.
anyway, thanks all for the great words and warm welcome! i don't want to mislead anyone; some of the tikis in those shots are a couple of yrs old. i'll put some others up this evening, but can't wait to start the next to share some in progress.
Mctiki, the vip lounge is a great place for the texmex and drinks. i'd be thrilled to join you sometime. mahalo all!

Nice carvings! Keep them coming. :drink:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 6:11 PM

Looks pretty cool man :) welcome to TC

thanks, guys.
i just started a cook fisherman/marq type of little guy today. a bit cold out, and started raining. i'll get back on it later and get some shots up of it this week.

B

On 2007-02-05 10:32, greentikipat wrote:
i just started a cook fisherman/marq type of little guy today

COOl.

Benjamin.

B

Yeah it's too cold to carve today. I'm glad you were able to post your pictures. Welcome to TC, like they said, You'll fit right in around here. Just don't be bashful with the foto's shoot lots of progress shots and post'em all! Excellent tikis, how many have you carved so far? You aren't afraid to go deep and that's good, just don't go deep because you are unable to fix the bottoms of your lines. Looks real good. Love the teeth too. Got tiki? Got More? Got More Tiki?

wow i was just about to post a new one with pics and all, when my computer just went blank, then resarted. that's never happened before.
so i'll see if i can remember what i wrote.
thanks, Benz and Ben.
yea, i've been thinking about my depth latety. i've always liked a lot of depth in any 3-d art. but too much of any one thing-when not balanced with the other things-always stands out. so since i've got depth, i can focus on line and surface now. how many tikis? never really added them up till now. but i guess just under 20. doesn't seem like much! especially for the 5 yrs since i started. but i would go sometimes 6 mos without before. half that amount has been in this past year, though, without much slowing down in the future.
so here's some more tikis-

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 6:48 PM

I love how that guy looks in the baby seat! :) Some nice stuff there.

thanks, Hewey- i almost delivered him without getting a pic, so i shot him where he sat.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 12:09 PM

WOW, I love the guy under the one in the car seat, how he's just kinda kicking back sitting on one leg. Very nice! I'm finally getting the hang of knees in general. :) he looks really natural and casual.
I see plants on a few of them, are you hollowing them out so they fit plants? Are you sealing them up to keep the water from going inside?

hey- thanks Mieko -i'm going to get some other views of that one. he's got a good profile.
yea, most of my tikis are bowled out on top, with a drain hole drilled from the lowest point out the back of head dress, neck, etc. an extra layer of sealant in the bowl and pushed through the hole doese the trick.
today was the perfect day for carving outside. i forgot my camera at work, so i took some pics using my daughter's digital. i'll upload them and get them on in a bit.

so that's almost 6 hrs. he's 14" -oak i think.

Nice work greentikipat!
I like those progress shots. Interesting to me to see the way your process goes. Keep it up.
Buzzy

thanks, Buzzy. we'll do.

B

I agree with Buzzy, interesting process.
Show us more :)

Benjamin.

This lil guy is lookin badass!!! I REALLY dig the tiki pictured underneath the babyseat pic. Keep 'em Rollin'

right on, Freddie. how are you? the shrunken tiki's good company. hope you're good.

B

On 2007-02-05 13:56, greentikipat wrote:

Nice work, greentikipat! I see on this one that you dared to go asymmetrical with it. Gutsy! Keep it up, man.

Wow! I missed that one... Nice! complicated piece,and done well...

thanks a lot, Daves. sorry i didn't reply sooner. i'll put some finished pics of that one up soon. he looks good burned and sealed.

well here are some pics of my roratonga/marquesian hybrid. here he's ready for sanding. about 13 hrs or so into it. i'll post the sanded pics real soon. this is my first hardwood piece, and also my first completely hand-carved(and hand-sanded)as well. can't wait to pick up the chainsaw and grinder again.

H

I know it's been said but I have to say it too--I really like your deep cut style. Your detail work looks good as well. I'm diggin' the shell teeth too. Welcome to TC!!!

B

Lots'a Nice work there. I can definitely see this guy is going to be Excellent. I Love the deep detail you get in your pieces.

thanks Surf and Benz. here's some sanded pics, and more semi-finished ones tomorrow.

H

WOW! That's a kick a$$ tang. He looks great! How tall is he. You should call him tripod!

ha! he's about 14". in height i mean!- yea' that's been one of his nicknames. thanks Surf!

well, the little guy is finished. hope you like.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 7:20 PM

That looks great! :)

HOK

Aloha, I've noticed that you left the ear lobes open. Are you going to put in any ear ornaments? Great Tiki, Mahalo for posting! Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-03-18 20:44 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 6:27 AM

GTPat,

That little guy is killer! Beautiful carving work and a very nice finish. I hope you intend to keep him indoors...I would hate to see such a wonderful carving get killed by the sun and rain. I love the mix of styles.

-Gman

hey there, Hewey- thanks a lot. House o'Ku, aloha! thank you. yes, the lobes are waiting for the right oceanic pieces. fish bones,(he is a fisherman, after all)maybe some tightly curved shells, etc. i've looked throu all my stashes and havn't come up with the right curves yet. they'll turn up, though. any ideas? Gman, thanks very much. no, he won't be an outdoor dweller,(not most of the time anyway)that light just looked right on him.he's been on the porch throughout his birthing, tonight will be his first night in the house. Mahalo guys!

aloha all! long time no post. paintings and life have taken the front seat for a while. but finally here is a new one. 3 to 4 hrs into it, it's the opposite of the last one- as little hand carving as possible. the only chisel work is in the mouth to remove material. this right side in first shots is all grinder.

the left side shows (i hope) the start of dremmel smoothing.

a very soft piece of washingtonia palm.17" much to go, but about half-way there. hope everyone's well. thanks for looking.

H

That will be a realy beautifull tiki. Perfect and nice forms on this guy. Keep it up!

B

Excellent stuff here greentp, I Love the 14incher, he's a tuff looking little/big guy. Excellent body and cute butt. Your new guy in Washingtonian is Cool/traditional. Nice and Deep detail and Great features. I think you might have done this before?.
Excellent stuff.

really nice work!

Amy

M

You been hangin with GMAN?

Dammit!

Mahalo back at ya!

Very nice works!

McTiki

right on, thanks all! ALOHA!
haikai- thanks a lot, man.-i do try. the forms on this one grow more as i go. it was supposed to be a quickie, but they never work out like that.!!
Benz- thanks very much. props from you always come as a punch in the gut.- THE REALLY GOOD KIND. if there is such thing.:} thanks for making a comment on his butt. it was one of my main focus points. and as far as doing this before(on the new one)- the grinder, yes- the dremmel, no. had it forever, never used it to produce tiki gods. falling in love with it though. thanks again, Benz.
Queen Kamehameha- thank you very much. i appreciate your comps. and also your vocab typing practice. please stop by again. mahalo!
Mctiki- dammit! i wish the chance had come already! i have a couple friends in tampa, so i cross over the pond once in a while, and if i knew where he lived, i would have crashed him by now. TIKI IN TOW! but anyway, we'll get there eventually. (hint hint GMAN)!!
well anyway, i got some more done on dremeltiki tonight, and i will post some new pics soon. thanks all for your kind words.

so here's those new pics i promised(and forgot). he didn't sell at hukilau, so he's for sale over in the marketplace. DON'T LOOK! that wasn't an ad.

hope everyone's well- mahalo!

B

Well, it's About time, good thing I wasn't holding my breath waiting for these pictures! Ha ha. It IS a Nice tiki too, well worth the wait. Don't understand why it didn't go at Huki but I'm sure it won't last long.
What else you have hiding over there? I bet you have a ton of stuff you've been working on and just haven't shot and posted. . . . Well? What are you waiting for?

I think you hit it, Ben... I think Pats got more aces up his sleeve, than Doc Holiday..:wink:

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-06-27 17:36 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 27, 2007 6:29 PM

Really nice work Pat...somehow I missed the completion of your fisherman's god. Easy enough to do with all the good stuff popping up lately. I love the Marquesan/Rarotongan mashup of techniques you've used on him and I have previously noted my preference for these guys to be well equipped - they seem kind of sad in the no package post-missionary style, seeing they're all about abundance and fertility. Definitely one of my favourite wood carvings this year!
The new guy also rocks - sweet lines and a traditional vibe.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies