Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new stone pieces and wood Tangaroa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies

B

G-pat, REALLY Nice to see you back and with new goodies Too!. Love your Shop, Very nicely tikified. Love your new stuff too, you did an Excellent job with the stones and I don't see them "Overworked" at All.
Hope All is well wit you.

thanks guys! always good to be back.
Hey Savage Daddy, thanks for the welcome and the wondering while i was aloof. i may wander off every year, but i'll always make it back. i tried going to your website yesterday but my computer couldn't handle it. i'll try today without so many tabs open. mahalo nui for all your cool support!
laojia- thanks a lot! that little one will be finished this weekend.
Benz my man! today i will be tackling your thread, as i know i'll need a lot of time to catch up on it all. thanks very much for all! the shop is coming along pretty well. the over-working i felt was in the details. having too much of it in too small an area. being a lover of detail, it's always been one of my down falls at first in any medium. the eyes of the marq-type i wish i had left smooth. the angles and surfaces were really nice-as soon as i made the first etchings on one, i knew i'd gone too far. no mistakes, though- only new options. with the hei type, i just created more detail than i was ready for on a small piece. oh-well, that's what practice is for- right? they'll be fine when they're done. we're doing good, 1st grade's almost over already. Lexine hangs here at the shop with me sometimes, but i still can't get her to finish any tattoos for me yet!! talk with you soon,

i took some pics today of two wood pieces half-done -the kava bowl and the tangy type i started last tuesday. i'll post them in a bit. cheers!

Pat!
Dude! Welcome back to the land of the living!
Love that Marquesan! Walls look TIGHT!
any new paintings?

hey LLT! what's up, man? good to be breathing again!!! i do have four small paintings posted. i think?

here's some pics: first the bowl that won't be much of a bowl, but a good table-top table? yea. second, the tang guy i started tue. this was four hours with the lancalot on the grinder. first time i ever used one, and wow!! i think i mentioned before- the coolest and most dangerous power tool i've ever come across(for carving) could easily gone even faster if i knew what i was doing from the start. fun but sketchy. i'm used to using the grinder a lot anyway, so this thing was just too comfy in my hands. but knowing the instant removal of multiple fingers was only inches away at all times kind of freaked me out a bit.

this non-bowl is 18-20" h about 2' wide-it's sable palm and is too soft and fibrous deep in to do much with. no prob, they'll still be cool when finished.

and of course the lancelot.

i can't wait to get this thing down. hopefully still have all fingertips and knuckles intact.
thanks for looking!

I was using the Arbortec today myself as well! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!! Just be constantly conscious when using it.

B

Get a Router Speed control to Slow it down and feel more comfortable using it.

boy that sure does look wicked. and the saw looks pretty wild too. love your table top table. keep up the great work and watch the digits, they come in handy.

bd

Hey Pat - its good to see you and your art again! Post up where your shop is so that I can stop in next time I'm in the area.

Fantastic carvings Pat,the tattoed marq is way kool.That lancealot disc
looks even more evil than the arbortech,Im going to take Bens advice and
try out the speed control box.Cheers Watango.

Ps- I really Looove my fingers!!!

aloha guys!
hey Surfin- yea, it was the getting comfy with it so quick that struck me. fingers are way useful, so this morning i was looking at the guard for the grinder(took a while to dig one up) and since it blocks too much workspace, i'll grind some of it off(1/4 - 1/3) and see if that helps. (like Paipo's tail eating serpent/bird!) i'm not against being safe, just when it gets in the way.
Mr. Benzartz- always with the helpful advice! i'll get a variable speed control-didn't know i could for a grinder. cool....
Big Daddy, what's up, man? la table de marquesas will be very cool. all this talking and pic taking gave me the new perspective on it i needed. some new ideas have settled in. ~and fingers; well i do have ten, but losing any would suck. when i was a teen i knew this haitian dude had 12 fingers. extra pinky on each hand. and that's all i have to say about THAT! (insert shocker and glove jokes here)
well Aloha Tom!! how's it been ? the shop is 15401 gulf blvd Madeira bch 33708 -didn't know you ever made it out this way, cool! pm'n ya.
Watango- every time i read that, it comes out like Deadbolt. thanks for the comps, man!

well, if things work out, i'll have most of the day off tomorrow. finally some time to carve again. i'll post whatever happens. unless my right fingers go- cause i can't shoot pics w/the stranger!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 12, 2009 3:12 PM

If you take pics with "the stranger", will they look like someone else took them? :lol: Is this thing on?.......

We missed you man. Be wikkid careful with that thing.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: gman 2009-05-12 16:28 ]

hey all-
GMAN! bein careful, hows it goin?

here are some new pics to share. first some progress on my tangaroa. very happy with the sway-back shaping that's happening. looked like eric cartman before. more with the lancelot and grinding wheels. i had started getting into chisle and gouge work ojn the face, but it was too soon. at the end here i had started again using the hand tools to recess under the arm and leg, hopefully find more time again very soon. need to clean out the garage and set up space in there so i'm not totally reliant on daylight and clear skies. getting one day off a week to coincide with good weather is near impossible these days.

i also have these stone pieces done.

this guy was pretty much done before, but cleaned up a bit now w/some better shots.

i love the green tone of this one.

i'm pretty happy with this hei tiki; just got too thin between the eye socket and hole. oh well.

this last one was actually started a while ago. after it dried from the first session, i thought the stone type was no good. it looked like raw granite inside; couldn't make out out any surface differences. after awhile, i saw it's color returning and decided to finish him through. glad i did. so much to learn about stones-i get the feeling i'll never learn even a fraction of all there is.

this one really takes on whatever brown or greens are around it.
mahalos for looking!!

Hey Pat,how about an update on what you've been up to
on the carv'n side of things.Cheers Watango

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 26, 2009 6:07 PM

I can't believe all that awesomely good stuff just passed by without comment....must've been a busy day in the carving forum? Good job on the bump Watango!

B

lookin good paips! LOVE the carve marks on the marq palm! oh and the lil guys r tight too! great to see u wood working!!

B

On 2009-05-09 11:45, greentikipat wrote:

and of course the lancelot.

i can't wait to get this thing down. hopefully still have all fingertips and knuckles intact.
thanks for looking!

A bit LATE But, if you don't put the Guard back on that thing you might lose more than a knuckle. Also Slow it down with a router speed control to take control of the thing.
Serious!!
Paipo, Know what you mean, How was this Awesome stuff overlooked for so long. PAT, Where Are 'ya, Come out, These rock pieces are really Excellent. Love the movement in the Hei-Tiki.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 207 replies