Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut art show/mug launch March 16th with Doug Horne

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

um Suzy...
the Squirrel was smoking CRACK! :lol:

T

I don't think we'll be able to make this one. I'm so bummed out. I really like seeing Doug's work, too. Hope everyone has lots of fun.

Some of the Demented Menehunes will be takin' the Dillard's Delivery boat over from the island. Lookin' forward to gettin' my DH Tiki Magazine cover signed. Oooo.

I may have already had too much tweaky-tweaky juice this afternoon -- I'd swear I just saw a crazed chipmunk run by... Amazing what those little guys can carry around in their cheeks.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

http://www.yoyoisland.com

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-15 15:23 ]

S
squid posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 4:48 PM

On 2007-03-15 14:26, little lost tiki wrote:
um Suzy...
the Squirrel was smoking CRACK! :lol:

Kinny, dude, you're smokin' crack. It's a chipmunk!

S
squid posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 4:51 PM

THIS squirrel was smokin' pot.

On 2007-03-15 16:51, squid wrote:
THIS squirrel was smokin' pot.

actually she just got home from her date with that chipmonk.

Original #2 for the show, framed 16"X20""Marquesan Hat"

Notice the Bamboo Ben eye patch the Crazy Al jaw line the Squid lips the sloping Grog like forehead and of course those Kirby ears. Looks like Suzy mixed up a rum powered drink served in a tiki bob mug, ye ha!! See ya Friday night!

On 2007-03-15 12:01, little lost tiki wrote:
Here's my Last Minute Entry for the Flyer Contest!
Wha? There's no Contest? :-?
Oh Well! Here's a Flyer anyways! Have Fun Chilluns!!!!

You might notice that the crowd tomorrow night at the Tonga Hut is missing a few of the Usual Suspects...

On 2007-03-15 18:56, Swamp Fire wrote:
Original #2 for the show, framed 16"X20"
"Marquesan Hat"

Notice the Bamboo Ben eye patch the Crazy Al jaw line the Squid lips the sloping Grog like forehead and of course those Kirby ears. Looks like Suzy mixed up a rum powered drink served in a tiki bob mug, ye ha!! See ya Friday night!

I'm guessing that Holdens receding hairline is under the Hat??

On 2007-03-15 10:01, GROG wrote:
ALRIGHT!!!! Artsists posting what they bringing so people have idea what they want buy. True professionals.

GROG already know GROG want buy Dug Horn Grog mug and drink grog from it, or maybe Navy Grog.

Does Suzy know how make Navy Grog?

(Oops! GROG accidently make new page, so GROG bump artists posts.

I can make a Navy Grog

S
squid posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 9:07 PM

:lol:...NAVY.....:lol: :lol: :lol:....GROG...:lol: :lol: :lol:....!!!!!!!!!

On 2007-03-15 14:51, TikiJosh wrote:
I don't think we'll be able to make this one. I'm so bummed out. I really like seeing Doug's work, too. Hope everyone has lots of fun.

WHAT! You have something better to do :D ... See yaz next time

Hey, if anyone is up for dinner at the Safari Room prior to the Art Show PM me.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 10:34 PM

If past events are any indication of how much fun and jollity takes place at the Tonga Hut, there is plenty of gaiety and merriment to be had by all.

This last picture may look incriminating for GROG and Kinny, but the picture is
cropped so you don't see where Boris' hand is for the purposes of keeping this thread PG.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-03-16 08:45 ]

CA

here some more fun little creations...... sorry they are not mass-produced in china (sorry for me that is)....in fact these are the only ones in existence so far...

I'll bring some t-shirts and other $10 and under stuff.... the last of my edition of 100-black #1 tiki pendent as well an anniversary pack (neck charm, stickers, magnet, postcards) for those who need to catch up on swag from the past years...

And Drawer-pulls!! shave shipping on these guys..
Plus a six for $60 no tax deal ($12 pulls included!)

S

Hey Al....Do you have a "pull my finger" pull?
You'll need it after them beans.

So anyway if you wanna buy any of Al's stuff, come see me. It's all half off at my booth. Hell I may just give it away!! Same goes for Horne's and Kirby's stuff.

Oh screw all this art stuff.... I'm making the big money by hosting a little raffle for the evening...

C'mon ladies...

It's time to play...

Will he be a dream...

Or a GROG...

You'll never know unless you drop a buck in the fishbowl at Crazy Squid's!!!
All proceeds go to a worthy cause. I'm sure I'll think of one....I'll get back to you on that.

We're giving the Chipmunk a lift over, but somebody else'll have to take him home. You know how he gets after he loosens up a little...

D

Huge 99 Cent Parking Lot Sale tonight at the Tonga Hut. I will have the following mugs: Squll, Triple Header, and Mr. Rapa Nui. The sale will start at as soon as Dave leaves for dinner. I may have a wooden spoon or two for sale as well.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 16, 2007 8:44 AM

On 2007-03-16 00:27, squid wrote:

Will he be a dream...

Or a GROG...

Hey Sqwid, you forgot door #3.

S
squid posted on Fri, Mar 16, 2007 8:47 AM

On 2007-03-16 07:14, dibroc wrote:
Huge 99 Cent Parking Lot Sale tonight at the Tonga Hut. I will have the following mugs: Squll, Triple Header, and Mr. Rapa Nui. The sale will start at as soon as Dave leaves for dinner. I may have a wooden spoon or two for sale as well.

BASTARD!!!!

CA

$.99 sale! ya right... I've got more 'Pick and Save' for you at Macy's prices!!!! wish these were made in China for ya, but, ya know... next best thing... high rent sweat shop in LA art community...... ONLY 9! of these in existence... 4 Ruby! 3 Sapphire! and 2 Emerald!!

Part of the CrazyAL Tiki Treasures Line(TM)
first Goblets of Gold now Sparkly Jewels of Booty!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr! Who riding Ben's Sword tonight!

Anybody know what time this thing starts...or ends?

T.B.

J

On 2007-03-16 08:44, GROG wrote:

On 2007-03-16 00:27, squid wrote:

Will he be a dream...

Or a GROG...

Hey Sqwid, you forgot door #3.

Let's not forget every tiki girl's dream date behind door #4.

Who could resist that suave "come hither" stare?!

T

Why when looking for smiley faces with a frown on Google

I find this haunting picture of a familiar face.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-03-16 18:49 ]

Good gig tonight! Hope everyone did well. Looks like there was some art sellin' goin' down! Crowded, then thinned, then crowded again. I had to bail round 10:30.

Hope it kept/keeps goin' for Y'all!!!

What a Night!

I mean everyone went NUTS!
There was Bareback Deer Riding!

Illegal Gambling

And some other activities Illegal in MOST States!

Tonga Hut! the best place to get Squirrely on Weekend Night!

Great show, I left with zero dollars in my wallet and even owing $10 bucks. Of course didn't take nearly enough photos. Thanks to all the artists. This was great.

Crazy Al's new sun catchers. The red one is already hanging from my car's rear view.

Kirby's 6' tiki -- wow, it's even better up close and personal.

And this tiki was amazing.

The Master DJ Lee (I'm sporting Squid's Moai #1)

Bamboo Ben showing Ooko Lady his new threads from the Tiki Terrance in Chicago.

The back of the jacket -- sweet Ben.

Bamboo Ben showing Bora Boris that Baby Got Tiki.

And Groggy came out to play. Cheekygirl, Grog & Kaula Tiki

[

[ Edited by: ojaitimo 2007-03-20 18:54 ]

Alvin...?

Alvin...??

ALVIN...!!!

Knew that chipmonk was trouble. Somebody should'a called him a cab before he had Suzi climbing tables.

What a blast, and thanks to Doug Horne for signing my mondo-ultra-cool new mug. Oooo.

Hope to see some of the survivors at TV's 90210 tonight.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-17 15:04 ]

BambooBen and BoraBoris vibin on some Muskrat Luv!

Doug had a little bit of trouble from Rufus ...something about replacing all of his monkeys with squirrels or somethin....

GROG and his Good Ol' Boys!

Unfortunately, a fight broke out at the Bar...

then a Swordfight broke out in the crowd! Al was almost pierced by the ruffian's steel!

All in all it was a Nutty Time!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-03-17 16:54 ]

T

Hey Little Lost Tiki, I was buying a print from Doug Horne when he asked if you were as crazy as your posts seem you are . I told him YES but without your photoshop you were as harmless as a sack of wet mice .We missed you there , Ray

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2007 8:14 PM

Yes, it's amazing how Kinny posted all these photos of stuff that happened at the Tonga Hut last night, but he wasn't even there. GROG believe it may be with the help of his Portal OF Time machine, or P.O.T. for short. He may have to have it adjusted, because it sure smokes alot when he uses it and the deminsions he travels to are a bit surreal compared to the actual events. GROG saw a Squid , a Horn Dog and several monkeys (but they were in paintings), but no squirrels at the Tonga Hutlast night (at least not in the real world).

But...but...I have Photos!!!!!
P.O.T. machine? :lol:
The reason you don't "remember" is because of all that Navy GROG you swigged down!
Let us Never Forget!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-03-17 20:31 ]

Hey Grog , you nailed that one . Lil Wahine said she had great time meeting you and everyone else at the event .Thanks for making her feel welcome . I think we created another tiki freak .

Hey LLT why were you not there, I thought you lived there???

I didnt see any of those chipmunks or squirrels. They must have been hiding from me, as my dad and I used to go out in the hills to shoot those little varmints.

Great art event.
No offense, but they really have to work on their drinks, thst stuff is just putrid. I almost asked for my money back, but didnt want to be rude.
so I'm being rude here. Yuk!! a whole shot of Grenedine in a Zombie,
thats a bit excessive don't ya think??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yeah, don't get the zombie there. The Voodoo Juice is the drink to get at the Tonga Hut. It's kind of inconsistent and tastes different depending on which bartender you get it from, but it's generally drinkable and is stronger than you would suspect.

S

Well Jeff, suffice it to say that our beloved Atomikitty was NOT behind the bar.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 12:08 AM

Thanks for coming to the event Tiki Ray and bringing Lil Wahine. She's a very nice lady and very pretty, with a great smile. GROG looking forward to swinging by Rancho Cucamunga for the Tikis and Pinups gig on April28. GROG afraid to post on that thread until Tiki Trav's pictures have been bumped down enough to start a new page. Save some of Claritas candles for GROG.

And thanks to everybody who showed up for the event and all the artists who participated. It was alot of fun and very successful for all involved.

HUGE thanks to Suzy for all your hard work contacting and coordinating info with all the artists, and for masterfully Photoshopping 2 different flyers that looked so nice--have you ever considered a career in art? And thanks for all your promoting here, myspace, and etc., and all the places you dropped flyers off at around town. Thanks for printing those out, too. And thanks for babysitting, or rather, setting up the artists between 3 and 6 before the show. GROG hope you sold enough coconut monkey art to make all the time, effort and running around worth your while. GROG really like GROG's coconut monkey prints--again, have you ever considered a career in art? You're REALLY talented, you might want to give it some thought. One of these days GROG will hopefully have some time to actually do some art to show and sell at these events, rather than just buying everybody elses awesome stuff. Maybe some coconout monkey art. ;P

Sorry Ana and Jeremy for working your bartenders so hard, you can really work up a thirst buying and selling mugs and art at these events. Meghan and Myriah had a heck of a job mixing drinks with so many thirsty patrons. And thanks DJ Lee for playing some kickin' tunes.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-03-18 00:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 12:11 AM

Oh, and thanks Bamboo Ben for not molesting GROG in public this time.

And speaking of public molestation---we missed ya Kinny.

GROG figured out why there's a bar filled to or past capacity, and the same five or six people are always the ones who end up with their pics posted. Ammo for Photoshopping hijinx. COWARDS! Put your own pics up there, and quit taking pics of GROG for Kinny to get his grubby little mitts on!!! (Unless it's a picture of GROG with pretty ladies, then GROG glad to pose for camera.)

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-03-18 00:27 ]

On 2007-03-18 00:11, GROG wrote:
Oh, and thanks Bamboo Ben for not molesting GROG in public this time.

We missed ya Kinny.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-03-18 00:13 ]

Next time fo sure!!

p.s. i also think that Suze Monkeys Kick Ass!

p.s.s. who's Kinney?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 12:30 AM

Ruznic or Russic, Runcik, Rustic or something like that. You know----Little Lost Tiki.

O

CA

left the house at 3PM got home at 3AM... well worth the trip... i hope the trip from AZ was worth it!? Great times and Great support!! thanks

Hey y'all thanks for another great event! Suzy and Ernie- we can't thank you enough for all your hard work putting these shows together fom conception to completion. As usual the lineup of artists was fantastic! Thank you to all the artists that participated. We're honored to have you at our shows and hope to see you back soon! Thanks a bunch to DJ Lee, Meg and Myriah and to all of you who came out to support both the artists and Tonga Hut! Long live TIKI!!

Mulatiki

Wow what a show!
Thanks to Grog, Suzy and Jeremy for putting together a tiki-licous event.

Thanks to the Squids for letting us stay the night. I just hope you don't notice that cool "Lance Link, secret chimp" lunch box missing from the top shelf.

It was great seeing tiki friends old and new.

The Tonga Hut rules!! Long live the Hut!!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.