Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bone Carving Q+A

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

Benzart goes to a pet store & gets dog bones all bleached & disinfected & they are not expensive.

CA

local bone carving demo by long time carver, and TC member Louie the Fish aka expt. Fly tier... tells that he gets his bone free from Long Bch CA pet-store bone distributor who loves fly fishing... moral of story...draw flies - make friends and bones.

S
skoko posted on Mon, May 30, 2011 1:23 PM

I have asked several pet stores if they sell real bones.And non of them do.And they all asked me if i need them for a ritual of some sort :/ i guess pet stores here aren't supplied well enough as yours are.I found a guy that sells camel bones but they are quite expensive.

Hey hey,

I've used cow leg and jaw bones, buffalo leg, and just got ahold of some elk antler, but if I had a choice I would go with the cow leg bone, it shapes well, is strong, and can hold a glass like polish if you hit it with some liquid abrasive.

Here's a link to a bone tiki I did awhile back,

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40075&forum=7

and if you click the link in my sig you can see some examples of hooks I have done out of bone. If I can help answer any questions about carving burs or sanding process ask away!

S

S
skoko posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2011 11:50 AM

Hi guys :) I just did my first bone carving and its awesome:)!
It`s nothing special i made a small hei toki from pig bone i got from the butchers.Tell me what you think :)

Next i'll try a cow leg bone :P

beautiful work! love the lashings, keep it up!

S
skoko posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2011 10:21 PM

Thank you.I have another question.Is there an alternative to the jewelers saw that i can use for the small cuts cuz i just can't find one :/ and exactly which part of the leg bone of a cow do you use a just cut the bone i have (cow femur bone) and it has only few millimetres of bone that i see as useful.I was going to make a hook but now it is going to be way way skinny.Help please which bone should i get

[ Edited by: skoko 2011-06-04 00:03 ]

S
skoko posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 11:17 PM

Hi.Can someone make a tutorial on how to make a koru pendant.Or tell me how to make the spiral inside.I tried one whit a jewelers saw but it end up very squiggly.and how do you sand it afterwords.10x :)

K
KAHAKA posted on Sat, Jul 2, 2011 1:54 AM

Incredible work, Man. It's all about how to work the tools that're at your disposal. And then there's the whole artistic front of it all, which you clearly have too. Awesome job!!

E2

the problem with the smell has los lol
good working

S

This is my latest carving.It took a lot of sanding between the lines but i'm happy whit the result.And i stained it in tea for an hour.Tell me what you think.

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies