Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies

Tiki is 3.3" tall.

I used an exacto knife blade and a hacksaw to do my "carving".

Piece needs some sanding. I need some tools/carving talent. I don't even know how to sand sumthin' this small.

Yahey!
S T

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-12 02:04 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 22:49 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 14:56 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 15:48 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-16 19:40 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 21:54 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 23:23 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-17 12:34 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-18 22:23 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-19 02:49 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 09:56 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 02:26 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:06 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 13:07 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 17:12 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 17:53 ]

B

Really nice.
You can sand it with your nails :lol: That's a joke.
I think you can sand it with sand paper that you fold in two and you sand with the pleat. It is not really easy but when you don't have any micro motor...

Good courage,

Benjamin.

EXCELLENT first carve Sneaky!! (did you make a clay marquette?) :lol: :wink:

Tama

Benella,

thanx!

I was afraid that sand paper was the answer.

Tama,

thanx!

The maquette is copper wire and chewing gum and will be posted shortly in the tiki chewing forum. Couldn't do the vertebral lines on the crest in my wood piece like I did with the Bubblicious and toothpick. :)

Regards,

S T

Use those fingernail file boards. I think they are called emory boards. They are cardboard and have two grits of paper on them. I think you can get 5 for less than a dollar at supermarkets and such. Check the health and beauty section,

Buzzy Out!

T

Yeah! That's cool as hell sneaky! Use the nail boards - they work great. also a roll of emery cloth that you can tear little strips from!

YEAH! Get goin'!

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 7:45 PM

Very nice Sneakytiki!
What is your little tiki made from? I'm assuming he's some kind of wood?
I love his beady little eyes! He has a lot of character for something so small.
In my opinion, he'd look even better if you could give him a pair of dentures! :D
Also perhaps a nice wood-stain would suit him.
Very cool. :)

On 2007-04-12 19:45, Tipua wrote:
Very nice Sneakytiki!
What is your little tiki made from? I'm assuming he's some kind of wood?
I love his beady little eyes! He has a lot of character for something so small.
In my opinion, he'd look even better if you could give him a pair of dentures! :D
Also perhaps a nice wood-stain would suit him.
Very cool. :)

Thanks Tipua!

He's made from some sort of tropical hard wood, monkey pod maybe?

The tooth comment I fervently concur with! I was also having this very thought! I could use white seed beads or I might chip out some shell or bone.

The eyes make him look like "The Abominable" from Rudolph or a Sesame Street monster. I'm fans of both so s'alright.

I did some work on 'im today an' got him much more symmetrical. I'll post pix when sanded etc..

The stain is a possibility, I'll definitely clear coat him at least, probably matte so he's more authentico.

On 2007-04-12 16:54, tikigap wrote:
Yeah! That's cool as hell sneaky! Use the nail boards - they work great. also a roll of emery cloth that you can tear little strips from!

YEAH! Get goin'!

TGap,

Mahaloz! I'll look into the cloth. I'm putting together my portfolio right now so I dunno how much time I'll have for carving the next couplah mo's. We'll see as I always like to experiment with lotsah types of media.

On 2007-04-12 10:33, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Use those fingernail file boards. I think they are called emory boards. They are cardboard and have two grits of paper on them. I think you can get 5 for less than a dollar at supermarkets and such. Check the health and beauty section,

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy,

Thanks! I like the emory board idea very much and since I cohabitate with 3 female types it's not a problem to find one.

Washtay kolas,

S T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 02:52 ]

PS
I got the "eye-dea" from the acrylic filling in Paipo's pieces and the beads in 8 ft's kava kava pendant in the swap thread, I need to redo one eye as it's not set as deep as t' other an' it
needs to be refilled w/ blk acrylic.

Peace,
S T

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-12 21:40 ]

P

Nice work sneakie/sneaky, pretty much the exact sort of project I'm eyeing for my intro to wood carving. I see a bit of resemblance to those fork/spoon guys you've been playing with?

Lovin your little abomidable tiki! great job! Can't wait to see him sanded!

Paipo,

Gracias! There is definitely some spoon influence in there, also looked at my tikimaster Ku starting about midway thru the exacto- carving. I'm sure your first wood project will be infinitely better. I dunno if the stone u use has a "grain" but other than that I'm sure wood will just be that much quicker for you pebble pulverizers.

LLT,

Washtay! I should have him sanded soon. I dug out my "Bumbles" doll my sis gave me so papa Abominable can watch over Jr.

L8R,

S T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 02:50 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Apr 13, 2007 1:55 PM

On 2007-04-13 07:20, Sneakytiki wrote:
I'm sure your first wood project will be infinitely better. I dunno if the stone u use has a "grain" but other than that I'm sure wood will just be that much quicker for you pebble pulverizers.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out as well as the one you've done. I have tried some basic cuts & shaping on a bit of firewood and this whole "working with the grain" thing has me pretty perplexed. I think I'll try using what I know (handpiece/rotary tools) along with a little knife whittlin' when I get stuck into it.
Jade has a grain, so it's important when cutting the stone to go with the grain (much like slabbing wood I guess) so you get a nice surface to work with. It's also vital to use the grain lengthways on a long slender design for strength. The beach stone I use is pretty uniform and can be cut any old way you like, but doesn't have the strength that the "grain" structure provides.

J

On 2007-04-12 02:00, Sneakytiki wrote:

Piece needs some sanding. I need some tools/carving talent. I don't even know how to sand sumthin' this small.

Like everybody else said - sandpaper or emery boards and a lot of patience. But, This guy has a lot a character just the way it is. Sanding will take away a bit of that character. Nice job though. Looking forward to the next one.

B

The Next one is Always better, but this one looks great for a first. Well done!

I think its a great first attempt! Far better than what I can do. :)

His face reminds me of the original B&W King Kong...a mini-Kong Tiki if you will. :wink:

On 2007-04-13 20:11, Benzart wrote:
The Next one is Always better, but this one looks great for a first. Well done!

BenZ,

Mahalo! I wasn't quite done yet, straightened out alot of symmetry issues everywhere, it lost alot of the muscle in the arms due to wood grain issues while doing so.

I dunno if there is enuf tiki left to sand at this point, might try oiling him instead, what do u reckon?

On 2007-04-13 19:32, JohnnyP wrote:
Like everybody else said - sandpaper or emery boards and a lot of patience. But, This guy has a lot a character just the way it is. Sanding will take away a bit of that character. Nice job though. Looking forward to the next one.

Jp,

I really appreciate the compliments. Maybe I should try oiling him with linseed oil and skipping the sanding?

On 2007-04-13 13:55, Paipo wrote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I'd be pretty happy if it turned out as well as the one you've done. I have tried some basic cuts & shaping on a bit of firewood and this whole "working with the grain" thing has me pretty perplexed. I think I'll try using what I know (handpiece/rotary tools) along with a little knife whittlin' when I get stuck into it.
Jade has a grain, so it's important when cutting the stone to go with the grain (much like slabbing wood I guess) so you get a nice surface to work with. It's also vital to use the grain lengthways on a long slender design for strength. The beach stone I use is pretty uniform and can be cut any old way you like, but doesn't have the strength that the "grain" structure provides.

Thanx again Paipo! With your electric tools I think shaping will be alot better. I just can't do what I want with the exacto tip/side. That's interesting about jade grain. Jade is really something, beautiful stuff, blood of the sun god some Indians say.

New pix (;

With Mom and Dad.

A-Ho-Ya!
S T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 00:28 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 00:30 ]

B

It's getting better and better, man.

Thx Benjamin and Cool Manchu!

The last pix are twice actual size. The rough spots don't look any more noticeable than the suede texture on the lace so I think I'm gonna call it quits and oil him. I just gave him another once over after posting the last pix. The one step removed from reality that photos provide really helps me view my own work objectively, and it's not so hot. I'm so floored that the people in this forum even post comments on this carving. When I look at their work I'm just like...humbled/floored by their artistry.

Anyone else try the old trick of looking at your work in a mirror or upside down to check out? I've used the mirror to some success for symmetry corrections painting but the photo seems to do something with the size/scale that can tell u if your composition, shapes or colors are working.

After looking at Tipua's thread and then Marcus' thread I'm puffing on my antler pipe with cherry wood stem, nice relaxing Whiskey all natural pipe tobacco. MMMMM.

G'night.

S T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 01:57 ]

C

Good first one! I don't know if you should sand it or maybe texture him more... Just a suggestion... Greetings!

Greetings Clarita!

I'm wondering what to do next myself. I'm hoping one of the carvers on here can offer advice on whether to sand or just rub with oil, wax etc..

Thanks,
S T

Well, I went ahead and put some Old English Oil on my little Kong-tiki (thanks C Manchu!) and took some more pix. You can see in the front pic how his eyes need redone/refilled,.
I like the darker colors on him now.

Piks:

Bad tiki takes a time out.

Mahalo,

S T

thats a very cool little tiki

On 2007-04-15 03:42, kroozzn62 wrote:
thats a very cool little tiki

Thanks Kroozzn! he'll be happy to hear that!

Regards,

S
T

great first tiki....sneaky..

I agree with paipo, wood is harder to do, so you have done very very well! Can't wait to see what you do next

Amy

On 2007-04-15 18:23, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
great first tiki....sneaky..

I agree with paipo, wood is harder to do, so you have done very very well! Can't wait to see what you do next

Amy

Thanx Amy/Queen Kamehameha!

I will try to do another as soon as time permits. Still gotta fix the eyes on this one. I really appreciate you posting comments/compliments.

L. L. The Queen,

S
T

B

Hey Sneaky, What's your next wood project ?

On 2007-04-16 01:09, benella wrote:
Hey Sneaky, What's your next wood project ?

Benella,

Hint:

Makau, Ku, Moai/Lono, ?, spoon.

S
T

Sounds like you are hooked now Sneaky. We expect to see a lot more woodwork coming from
Idaho. Your paintings are cool too, I especially liked your Kava Kava man that went to
the tiki swap.

B

YEah, Looks like you are Hooked pretty good to me. That tiki was a pretty nice design and excellent for a first one, Especially for such a Small piece. Once you get working with the grain down, it will be easier. Just imagine trying to carve into a straw broom with the bristles being the grain in wood. when you try carving Into the grain, it sort of backs up and fights you, but when you carve With the grain you can cut so much more smoothly.
Whats next?

Conga,

thanks!

Hopefully I'll get some carving tools pretty soon. I might have a little more time to carve after my portfolio is done in the next couple of months too.
Glad you dug the Kava Kava painting.

BenZ,

Thanks for the advice on carving and the compliment.

You're a great boon to the creating forums with all your knowledge sharing.
As far as my next project in wood, see the hint I left for Benella a couplah' posts back.

Word is bond!

S
T

Tiki spoon,

Moai started out as Moai/Ku hybrid, didn't wanna try to be "clever" so I carved the Ku bye bye, lil' Maori style Ku on bottom, Lono headdress/ moai topknot and Melanesian mask are all being tossed around for top , makau at bottom of piece becomes Maori tongue. I'll do the Moai head/ Ku full body hybrid next time.

Used the exacto knife (dull -- time to get new blade) and a lil' hack saw.

Maori "KU"

Thanks 4 all the support!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 15:03 ]

I thought I'd draw this while it was still in my mind's eye after carving this last session. The hands will prolly go on the front of piece.

M

Damn Sneaky! Your a natural! Right on! Lovin the spoon!

Hey, did Tiki Duddy give you that camera? :wink:(JK)

Keep these coming! You are inspired by now and can't really stop now can you? Buwahahahaaa! Your hooked!

Well done!

Mahalo

McTiki

Mctiki

Yeah I'm "hooked"--between painting, carving wood, being Dad, working, and working on that pipe I've been doing 24 hour days, then sleep 5-6 hours and repeat. No TV for me. I HAVE to slow down a bit and address some time/ money sensitive work for awhile. I put my carvings in a drawer cus if I look at em' I pick em up and next thing 6 hr's are gone. I turn 35 tomorrow so I need to rest up for a party.

Mahaloz for the propz!

S
T

Detail:

Regards,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 18:05 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-12-09 01:36 ]

Here's a side view of the latest whittlin', front view is 2 posts back. I did a lil' more to the Makau/spoon.

I'm thinking about turquoise eyes for Mr. Moai.

Back to editing photos of my work for my portfolio...joy....

Thanks,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 21:59 ]

Clamshell Tiki and turquoise Moai. Mocked up. Took awhile to find matches for the shells and turquoise.

Mahaloz,
S
T

Inlays done. Carved the Hei-Ku (hey Haiku!) face alot more and started in earnest on the Makau.

B

Top one.

Benella,

Top one? Thanx I think!? Is that a question about the top of the pic. cuz there's no carving there ..yet?

Remember I was gonna do a Moai bust/Ku body hybrid? Well I didn't want to do too many strange things but I still put a weird dude in there. If you flip the piece upside down the Makau becomes a feather headdress and there is a warrior in gourd helmet there. The bottoms of his feet are the lower lip of the moai. I started seeing all these weird things while carving and I went with some of them... The warrior shares eyes with Hei-Ku and hands with the Moai.

G'nite,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-17 02:57 ]

B

Sorry Sneaky, in french "top one" means "very good" !

I forgot this would mean nothing for you :)
But very good concept.

Thanks Benella!
No need to apologize. I need to use my brain!

--Sneaky

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-17 12:38 ]

Working on Makau..

B

Hey Sneaky- You're getting quite a nice collection of these little guys! I like the expression on Makau.

Anything happening with the Ku/Moai morph design yet?

On 2007-04-18 20:19, Tikidav wrote:
Hey Sneaky- You're getting quite a nice collection of these little guys! I like the expression on Makau.

Anything happening with the Ku/Moai morph design yet?

Tiki Dav,

Thanks! Glad u like the expression.

I got a new exacto knife blade so I'm really using good tools now! LOL!

My fiance got me a cheap motor and some dremel attachments for my birthday so I'll have to try it out when I get the time.

I have been working on the Ku/Moai dude but no pix yet. I dunno if it'll read as Ku at all yet. If it's not successful I'll try a bilateral division on the next one where one side is Ku and the other side is Moai. L to R.

Mad respec' Yo!

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-27 15:20 ]

KuMo front view, I'm starting on 'im an' I guess I DO need a maquette for this project. Skills would help too... At least I can always paint him if this fails.

This might hafta be a bigger tiki dwn the road, the exacto can't do that much in 3 inches can it?

Goodnight!

Well, I just finished a 20 hour workday, no BS! And found an hour to savor sum tikicentral creating threads while finishing up my spoon-tiki pendant.

He started out as A Moai/ Ku/ Hei-tiki -Makau composite but evolved into a Moai/Lono/ Hawaiian warrior/Hei tiki-Makau composite.

The Moai shares his hands with an upside down warrior in gourd helmet, the upside down Makau is a sideways royal Hawaiian head crest/arch. The Moais jowel lines become the warrior's leg seam between his upper and lower legs as he is in a sitting/squatting position with knees higher than his butt. The upside down warriors feet end at the Moai's lip part. The warrior's nose is also the Heitiki/Lono's nose. His eyes are also the Hei-tiki's eyes.

I'll get better pix of sides/front when able, my camera is cheap and I had to super edit these pic's just to make them viewable.

The planned Hei-tiki/Ku turned into a Hei-tiki/Lono with the lowerer brow ridge becoming the Moai's feet, the upper ridge becoming the Moai's knees, and both brow ridges serving as the lower part of the upside down warrior's gourd helmet/face.

The Hei tiki's tongue becomes the Makau/fish hook at the bottom of the piece.

I recieved a cheap rotary tool for my birthday but the only attachments I currently have that would seem useful are the sanding and sawing tools. I look fwd to purchasing some carving attachments in the near future.

It would be great to get any kind of files or carving knives/small chisels etc. as I'm working only with a hacksaw and an exacto knife at present. Haven't tried the rotary yet..

The eyes are inlaid turquoise - Moai, and clamshell- tiki, respectively. Drilled the Moai top-knot so I could use it as a pendant. The piece is 7 and 5/8" long/tall. Monkeypod tiki spoon wood from the Phillipines. I've already started on the fork.

I may try to sand this one. The monkeypod is super splintery and I don't want to ruin the piece even though it's very amateur b-cuz I spent alot of time whittlin' on it.
Any advice on stain/sealant etc ?

Mahalo and Aloha,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 10:07 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 15:25 ]

Tiki spoon -- pendant, 5/8" inch deep by 7 3/4" long. I put some linseed oil on my pendant and took a few more pix:

Polynesian warrior (upside down war chief):

Side view:

3/4 view:

Thanks!

S
T

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies