Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT) 8/25/07

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 333 replies

Who are these six fearsome devils? They're the gifts were leaving behind at each stop on the Northeast Tiki Tour. You see, we're not just about drinking and fraternizing with famous musicians. Oh, no. We're also about furthering Tiki and nothing says "tiki" like a tiki so we're gonna give one to each stop. Next year, they'll be one more tiki to visit and enjoy.

How can we afford to be so generous? Three words: Buy raffle tickets.

Let me also say again how awesome everyone has been. The generosity of our Tour Friends has been stunning. Also humbling. We're humbly stunned. Only 43 more days!

Please feel free to PM me with your drink selections and Yes I believe it to be good to know how many will be staying over Friday night and how many will like to mix their finest.

Friday Night Motel Mixer:

Participant -- Drink Offering

Bargolye + 1 -- Designated Drinkers (not an actual drink) on duty 24-7
Primo Kimo + 1 -- Mai Tai and 'Forbidden Island's' Pirate Grog 11:00pm - 11:30pm
Leisure Master and Birdgirl -- Jungle Birds 11:30pm - 12:00am
Martiki-bird + 1 -- Rum Tropical (with homemade Falernum) zoiks! 12:00am - 12:30am
Johnman -- Jaded Passion 12:30am - 1:00am
Thunderlips + 1 -- Tongolala 1:00am - 1:30am

These are just general times so that everyone can enjoy their cocktails in a slightly organized fashion. It may move more quickly or more slowly depending on the participants. The bus doesn't leave until 11:45am on Saturday so we should have plently of fun time. Wow this will be like a mini Tiki Oasis room crawl. Awesome!

Saturday Night Motel Mixer:

If we still need more consumption opportunities. I can't imagine we will but...
Primo Kimo + 1 -- Mai Tai (it maybe self serve, however;)

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo 2007-08-14 13:21 ]

D

On 2007-07-12 03:26, pappythesailor wrote:
How can we afford to be so generous? Three words: Buy raffle tickets.

can folks from afar buy raffle tickets? i cant be there in person, but would love to support you ~ by spending! let me know if that works for you, i'd be happy to pay the shipping costs for ALL the prizes i win...

can folks from afar buy raffle tickets? i cant be there in person, but would love to support you ~ by spending! let me know if that works for you, i'd be happy to pay the shipping costs for ALL the prizes i win...

I PMed you.

What if it rains on the day of the bus tour? How will we keep the rainwater out of our cocktails?

B

On 2007-07-13 21:44, dogbytes wrote:

ABSOLUTELY!!!! And we'll even be honest about it (not like that time I went to Vegas & Dave was like "dude, bet this on black for me when you pass a roulette table" and he gave me $20 and I was all like "sure Dave" but I knew that dave had just donated $20 to my vacation and I was just gonna tell him he lost)

So, yeah...anyway, Raffle Tickets!!!!!

They're a buck a piece, and $10 gets you 12 of em. Every attendee gets 1 with their swag-bag, then additional tickets can be bought at ANY time throughout the day.

We've got some more stuff in, and more arrives every day (Will post some more pics soon)!! And every ticket sold helps to offset the cost of the tour, and ensure future tours (and Tikis, as Pappy pointed out).

For those not attending but wishing to purchase some tickets, please pm me and I'll get info off to you. The cost of shipping any won items will be the winners responsibility, but I've got a pretty good UPS discount that I'll pass along.

See ya next month!!!

On 2007-07-05 16:48, leisure master wrote:
Is there an estimate of how many people staying over on Friday so we make sure to get enough booze?

Best guess right now is 17, although I won't be around too late on Friday (too much to do Saturday morning for the tour...early up for the Bargoyle).

And along those lines, Jess & I will be making Mai Tais & Planter's Punch (Tonga Room Recipe) in massive quantities for the bus tour...now, if during the Round Robin people want to make sure we're mixing them right, by drinking a few....well, I see no harm in that :D heh heh.

B

Ok, I think we're up to about 20 people staying over on friday. Nice turnout!!

Also, the "Bargoyle Express" van from the SUper8 to the Huke and back is now full.

We're about a month away now...anyone else as excited as I am?

No. Yeah. I dunno. I guess so.

:wink:

Man, I can barely stand the excitement!

J

Bargoyle - I'm mega-excited man! This summer has been just been moving incredibly fast. I'm hoping it stalls during the tour so it's not too much of a blur. Then again I'm hoping there's at least a slight blur...

BTW - I should have the top secret bus video acquired soon. I'll PM ya once the transfer is successful.

Someone has also donated a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 to the Tour Raffle. Don't forget to bring some extra buckaroos to buy raffle tickets!

Unfortunately, I saw this too late to sign up, but I'll be there next year from NYC.

I would love to go to the Hu Ke Lau. I grew up in Rocky Hill CT, and there was a Hu Ke Lau there (same owners) that went out of business about 30 years ago. In the early 70s, when I was in high school, my buddy played keyboards with the house band that also did the fire dances- Duke and the Samoans. Although he was 16 at the time, he was a brilliant keyboard player. I used to hang out there and even though we were underaged, they served us tiki drinks (tthe drinking age was 17 then)- you couldn't get away with that these days.

How cool was that- hanging out in a tiki bar in high school?

On 2007-07-26 03:38, pappythesailor wrote:
Someone has also donated a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 to the Tour Raffle. Don't forget to bring some extra buckaroos to buy raffle tickets!

Holy Schwag, Bat Man! That's damn near the best news I've had all week! Thanks to the generous benefactors and underwriters of this great event! It's a good thing someone else is doing all the driving, so I can focus on the drinking!

B

There are a few seats freed up on the Tour. I'm working my way down the waiting list to offer them to the people who signed up.

Please watch your email for the seat offer. I can only wait a day or so to hear from you before I have to move on & offer the seats to the next person.

See ya on the tour!!

http://www.northeasttikitour.com

18 DAYS LEFT!!! WOO-HOO!

B

All seats are re-accounted for. Sorry to those who wont be joining us, and congrats to those who made it from waiting to riding status.

Just a reminder, if you're not staying over at the super8 on friday night, please try to get to the hotel EARLY on saturday morning to get checked in. The bus rolls at 11:45.

See ya there!!

Pappy, there can't be MORE raffle items--can there??? Oh yes! The friends for the Northeast Tiki Tour are many (and wonderful). Just look at some of the stuff you can win if you buy some raffle tickets:

More mugs from Rum Demon!

The hottest CD of the summer (2 chances to win--oh, mama!)

A custom mug from Helztiki! (ok--we haven't gotten a peek at it yet)

Thanks again to all the Friends of the Northeast Tiki Tour.

Only two weeks 'til the Tour!

--Pappy

B

But wait! There's more!!

Pappy, you forgot to mention the KILLER T from Crazy Al, special items donated by fellow attendees, and so so much more (that I wish I had pics of to post)!

Now how much would you pay???

Act now, operators are standing by. Mention offer code TIKI7 and recieve a FREE swizzle stick!!

Remember, tickets are a buck a piece, but $10 gets you 12 of em.

Thats 2 free tickets folks!! Thats 12 for the price of 10!!

And $20 gets you 24 tickets!!! Just think of what you could do with that many tickets!! I dont even wanna mention what $30 gets you (36 tickets), its just too much to handle!!!

Available in one easy installment. On size fits most.

Call us direct...Call us collect...but call us TODAYYYYY!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-08-10 13:43 ]

Pappy, you forgot to mention the KILLER T from Crazy Al, special items donated by fellow attendees, and so so much more (that I wish I had pics of to post)!

It's just I had never seen a t-shirt carved out of a palm tree before and I wanted to keep it. People would be all like 'You know Crazy Al?' and I'd be all like 'Oh, yeah'.

Crazy Al carved me a fake id.

:wink:

..sb

Is that the one where you looked like a giant Krimpet?

Crazy Al is actually made of wood (like Pinocchio, I guess) .... Question is , did he carve himself? I'm sure he wood, if he could.

When do I NOT look like a giant krimpet?

..sb

O

On 2007-08-10 16:54, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
When do I NOT look like a giant krimpet?

..sb

The butterscotch ones? or the ones filled with jelly?

B

AlooooooooooHA Tiki Tourees!!!

Just over a week to go!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ok, a few things you should bring with you:

1. Money...and lots of it. Even though most of the bars will take a charge card, its ALOT easier at each place if you just pay cash for your drinks when served. Its what I told most of the bars we'd be doing, and they seemed alot happier doing that rather than running 50 checks thru the credit card machine! Plus it'll save time when its time to hit the next joint!

2. ID. Yeah, that's right, even you. Picture ID, preferably a drivers license. No one gets on the bus without one. I'll be checking them ALL, even those of us who are old farts like me. No ID...no Bus...no exceptions.

3. A cel phone (if you have one). I'll be giving my number out before the bus leaves. Put it in your cel. If anything happens and I'm not in the immediate area, call me (I may be outside, at the bus, making an ice run, "resting my eyes" in the alley behind the bar, etc)

4. A sense of Humor & a sense of Adventure. Even though its listed at #4, FUN is the number ONE priority of the tour. Hopefully we'll hit a few places you've never been before, and meet some great new people along the way. Also, some of the A/V material on the bus may not be politically correct by today's standards(then again, neither is Tiki), but are only meant to entertain. If B&w films of hula girls from the 40s & 50s offend you.....then what the hell are you doing on our bus!?!?!? :wink:

5. Even more money to buy a TON of Raffle tickets!!!! heh heh. We kind of went waaaaay over budget with some of the freebies & handouts everyone is gonna get, so we're hoping to close the deficit with raffle ticket sales. We've got some pretty amazing stuff to give away, so help us out by buying a bunch!

Also, please take a minute to review the Rules page on the website. They might just save your life!! http://www.northeasttikitour.com/rules.htm

Any questions/comments please feel free to PM me.

Big Mahaloz to all who are participating, and I'll see you in 9 days!!

The Bargolye

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-08-14 13:48 ]

What? MORE raffle items?? Is this some kind of grand scheme to get us to buy raffle tickets to support the NETT? You betcha. Lemme tell ya, a conservative estimate of the cash value of all the raffle items over a thousand buckaroos and it's all GOOD STUFF! Like the latest additions: The Fiji Board Game:

Details here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/155182

and the Game of Easter Island!

details here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/146157

What better way to while away the hours 'til next year's Tour than with a good old board game?

Remember, you can see all the raffle items up for grabs by visiting: http://northeasttikitour.com/

New England tikiphiles --- I noticed a Witco Tiki bar on ebay for pickup only in Mass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190141125349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

What the hey--I'll bid. Thanks!

Hey Bargoyle and Pappy - 1 question..... I reserved a room at the "official" NE Tiki Tour Motel for Friday and Saturday Night. Are our rooms in a special block or should I call them to be sure to have them put me near the rest of the 'tour guests'? I did mention the NETT, but don't want to be stuck in east bufu - gotta be near the happy people! Whatever, I'll be happy!

Taking two trains and a taxi just to get to the event - phew! but I'll be there on Friday night for room to room fun! Not going to the Hukelau however - saving my money for raffle tix! :)

Also are there any walk-to restaurants for friday nite or sat breakfast near the fabulous Super 8? Have we thought about a local joint for a Sunday morning hangover breakfast?

Can't wait for this awesome event! Great great job on the raffle! Wowie!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-08-15 14:26 ]

B

Hey JPM,

There's a few things in walking distance. That part of rte 1 is pretty full of resteraunts & stores.

Details on Sunday brunch are being worked out this weekend. Will announce on monday.

Cant wait to see everyone this weekend!

AloooooooooooooooooooooooooHAAAA!!!!

We are really looking forward to this event.
What with all the trying to sell the house, we need a break!!! Traci hasn't been working, so she needs interaction with other people.

it's also her birthday on the 23rd, so this is partially her birthday trip. We are going to take Monday off too, and go over to Cape Cod Sunday.

so again, if anyone wants to buy a really nice little place in Portland that already has a tiki bar in the basement, let me know!

..sb

J

Hey SBiM - I'll buy the tiki bar. Think the new homeowners will mind a tikiphile in the basement?

Another note - I was at a birthday party for my son's best friend today and brought up the NETT. When I mentioned the Bali Hai I was informed that they just completed some renovations. Hope they haven't toned the place down any. Or perhaps it was in our honor??? We'll see!

Also they just put up sound barriers on 128 and supposedly you can't see the Bali Hai's A-frame anymore. Bummer! I'm heading up to NH this weekend with the family so I'll check out the view. We're going to Story Land and Santa's Village - woo hoo! (shoot me please!).

See everyone in less than a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

On 2007-08-18 17:29, johnman wrote:

Also they just put up sound barriers on 128 and supposedly you can't see the Bali Hai's A-frame anymore.

Like the place wasnt hard enough to get to already!!

Actually they were doing that construction last time Pappy & I were there. With all the bulldozers & equipment out front, we thought the place was about to be demolished!!

I just hope their "renovations" didnt mean pulling out even more of the tiki decor.

See everyone in a few days!

I just hope their "renovations" didnt mean pulling out even more of the tiki decor.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh! Think good thoughts. The Mon Kou just "re-tiki'd", maybe we can hope for the same thing here.

T

Well it's official! I am the biggest procrastinator in the bunch. Just so everyone knows I got the last room at the Hotel! Less than a week to go!

Tikisgrl

B

For JPM (and anyone else who was interested) Stuff to eat near the motel:

• Applebees (Walking Distance)
  • Subway (Walking Distance)
  • Longhorn Steakhouse (1 mile)
  • Panera Bread (1 mile)
  • Golden Panda (2 miles)
  • Hearth and Kettle (2 miles)
  • pub99 (2 miles)
  • Ruby Tuesdays (2 miles)
  • TGI Fridays (2 miles)
  • UNO (2 miles)
  • Burger King (3 miles)
  • McDonalds (3 miles)
  • Ponderosa (3 miles)
  • Taco Bell (3 miles)
  • Spumonis Italian and Seafood (4 miles)

There are also a few nice greasy-spoon joints up rte 1.

I'm torn between one of those and the IHOP for Sunday Hang-Over Brunch. Any thoughts?

I Vote for IHOP!!!

Hey Folks,

Since I'm unable to make the tour, I just freed up my reserved room at the Motel 6. Get it while you can...

Have fun, be safe, and PARTY!!!!

Rick

B

On 2007-08-20 09:51, Bogielocks wrote:
Hey Folks,

Since I'm unable to make the tour, I just freed up my reserved room at the Motel 6. Get it while you can...

Have fun, be safe, and PARTY!!!!

Rick

Ummm, you mean Super8, right? Are you partying already Rick?? SOrry you cant make it man. Next one for sure.

Definitely IHOP for hangovers.

IHOP is like a 15 to 20 minute drive. Its on rte 44. Everyone still down with the IHOP? I mean it IS international. And its also in an A-Frame....

But driving 20 minutes while it feels like an alien baby is trying to kick, claw, & eat its way out of your frontal lobe isn't always the easiest task. And the sunlight....oooo...that light makes the brain-baby angry.

I'm all for it. Dont get me wrong. If I'm too hurtin, I'll just make Jess drive :D

I guess in our case it depends on 15-20 minutes in which direction, what time it is and how we feel, since we have to get back to NY!

B

Yowch!

Mapquest shows it as 28 minutes away.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=787+South+Washington+Street&1c=north+attleboro&1s=ma&1z=&2pn=&2a=235+Route+44&2c=Raynham&2s=MA&2z=&r=f

too far?

I'll find something more local. I like the idea of a bunch of "walking dead" tikiphiles taking over the IHOP, but it might look even better in a diner. "braaaaaaaiiiiiins"

I'll find something more local. I like the idea of a bunch of "walking dead" tikiphiles taking over the IHOP, but it might look even better in a diner. "braaaaaaaiiiiiins"

You just gave me a chuckle, since I happen to be preparing Zombie Tamale Pie at this very moment...

HC

the adventure of a less than corp. style "spoon" sounds so much better .....like a beehive hairdo and something marinated the night before in grandma's own special drippings!......Yeah! 3 over easy ,strip steak and grits with jam! hummmmm good

[.....like a beehive hairdo and something marinated the night before in grandma's own special drippings!......

There's something sooooo wrong, yet so right about that statement!

Jill & I are in for pancakes... unless I'm unconscious, in which case Jill's in for pancakes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 333 replies