Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT) 8/25/07

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 333 replies

we are in for whatever brunch turns out to be.
Traci and I are then going to head over to Cape Cod for an extra day.

Tomorrow (8/23) is her birthday, so this whole Tiki Tour/Cape Cod thing is what we are doing for it.

--sb

Pancakes? It's Boston, I thought breakfast would be clam chowder or beans?

That's "chowdah"! Chowdah! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you. Say it right!
Oops. Sorry. I like Farina.

Yeah, 28 min away seems ambitious even in my uninebriated state. I can't imagine how insurmountable it will seem come Sunday morning. The little wise guy in my head sez, something closer.

I'll scope out the greasy spoons on friday morning. Offical announcement to be made on the bus.

S

48 hours and counting down... SWEET!

J

I'm all for something closer for breakfast. The thought of a half hour ride after Saturday is frightening. I may end up nibbling bread in a dark corner for all I know.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACI!!!!!

Traci says thanks!

HC

...and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Traci from me and Tiki Cat (even thou shes never met you..but we are all going to be family soon!...."hey ,who left their sock in my drink?.....are we there yet?....I'm telling!....Please pass the egg rolls....go to your room....don't make me come back there!.....Ah ,the bliss!" this is the perfect amount of time to hang if you believe Ben Franklin ......"fish and company both start to smell after three days" ( I gotta check the exact quote)

Aloha , see you tomorrow!

TOUR UPDATE!!

We had FIVE cancellations for the HuKeLau show on Friday. (Geez.)
If anybody who's not already going wants to go, please PM me right away.

Come on folks, join us at HuKeLau!!!

5 cancellations???

c'mon people, get your heads in the game!!

are these also cancellations for the friday bus / round robin or are these folks who were joining us on saturday anyway?

just trying to monitor the headcount of those of us brave/crazy enough to start on Friday.

B

Round robin is still intact.

No changes there.

I've already started! Mai-Tais at my usual Thursday night gig!!!

I'm giddy for this weekend, and already drunk!!!!!

8am and all is well..... just hours before the start of the Tour!

Gilligan: Hiya, Professor. What are you doing?
Professor: I'm making notes for a book. It's to be a chronicle of our adventures on the Tiki Tour... I think it's a book people will want to buy, don't you?
Gilligan: Sure, I'll buy one. I'm dying to find out what happens to us!

See ya all soon!

Im at the luxurious super 8. Going to pick up van in a few minutes. Check in for tonight, and tomorrow will be at the table in front of rm 115 (my room). see everyone real soon!

Hey, quick question, to be filed under "logistics." Is there going to be ice available in quanitity near the motel? Or does it need to be trucked in?

i saw No ice maker at hotel. I'll a k for confirmation, but you plan on hauling it in.

ice machine IS on site....but you may want to bring some in as well (not a very large machine)

hey now from the HuKeLau. good job bargoyle

he even got Slim Jim Fantom and the drummer from the Patridge Family to play. Totally awesome!

T

Wow, live from the Huke Lau... Hi Everyone, sounds like you are having fun! Aloha & See you tomorrow!

Tikisgrl

HC

Oh YEAH ! Tiki Cat 67 and Hula Cat were late for the bus in Attleboro we went to the after crawling thru traffic caused by an accident and had to adjust ....we went just up the road to the MOST non tiki Polynesian restaurant ever .we imagined it into one of those makeover shows and were amazed at how great it became ! food was passable...large screen TV w/football(at least it was the Pats),loud country juckbox , a free solitary pool table and a sorta OK scorpion bowl....and the prospect of the tour and more tomorrow!

Tour Report!
With your Tour Reporter, Pappy D. Sailor

Our very own Leisure Master will want to remember this night....

SEE IT!

(must have Quicktime player)

I give him a lot of credit. There wasn't enough alcohol consumed at our whole table to get me up there.

so many pupus so little time. live from the extraordinary Waitiki performance at the halfway point of NETT. wish you were her, er here.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Aug 26, 2007 5:49 AM

WOW. What an awesome time. Thanks one meelion to Bargoyle & all complicit parties for putting this on.

S

Awesome, absolutely awesome time. Many thanks to Bargoyle and Pappy for the extraordinary job of organizing this event.

Thank you so much to Bargoyle, Pappy and everyone else who helped to put on such an amazing event! Thank you also to WAITIKI for giving us such a great show, to Hula Cat for the lovely bracelets and everyone who donated prizes. We had the best time. I'm ready to go again!

I can't seem to post pics to TC right now bit I do want to make a post this morning.

Thanks to everyone for not only coming, but for being helpful, being friendly and making an instant community. Without question, the best 50 people I've ever been locked up all day with!

Thanks a million to the Friends of the Tour. Please patronize the artists and vendors who donated stuff. I hate to single out one but Thor--you're generosity had everyone floored. Thank you! There's no way there would be a Tour next year without the help of our Tour Friends.

http://northeasttikitour.com/friends.htm

Thanks too to Beth and Rain and Tiki Cat for their special donations!

Let's give Sully the biggest hand. He fronted all the money for this shindig and it's only by his hard work this came off.

Thanks to anyone who helped and no one's thanked them yet! (OK, that's lame but better than nothing.)

I had a blast and I sincerely hope everyone else did too. Gooo Tour!

...and if anyone came home with a black Bali Hai mug and menu by accident, could they PM me?

Still trying to piece together the sequence of events but one thing's for sure - we had a wonderful time!

Lotsa laffs, lotsa fried, citrus, something about a mug, burlap...

It was a pleasure hanging out with all of you. What a fun bunch! Round Robin was a blast. People went all out. Hope to get together again real soon.

Huge thanks to Bargoyle, Pappy, & everyone who assisted and those who donated prizes.

Let me get in one last "WOO-HOO!"

U.S. TOUR next?

Soooo much fun...... Soooooo much rum........
6 of the greatest polynesian/tiki rooms in one state!
50 of the greatest people I know, all on one bus!

Unbelievably good time - thank you Bargoyle and Pappy and everyone!

I'll post pics as soon as the TC glitch is worked out!

B

AloooooooooooooooHA!!!!

Ok, its Monday morning and I'm STILL feeling hungover. Or maybe its just a mild concussion from smacking my melon on the bus one too many times!!

Once again, thanks to everyone who donated or lent a hand in bringing it all together, but I also want to thank everyone for just coming & having a good time.

An event like this is what YOU make of it, and we were lucky enough to have 50 great people who made it an absolutely amazing couple of days.

So, Mahalo to all for not only coming, but participating.

We got off to a rocky start, but after that, when I finally stopped stressing, I had a great time. So, thank you, all of you, for making my day.

Great to see old friends, great to make new ones. Hopefully we'll get some pics up here soon.

The First Annual NE Tiki Tour was so much fun! See, now that I've written 'First Annual' publicly, it means it needs to keep going.....

Thanks so much to Bargoyle & Pappy all those who were generous with their on-board cocktails, swag, music & raffle items- it was a real treat! And on top of that, I met some really great people.

Aloha!

QoE

I am still here in Cape Cod (reveling in the resignation of Gonzales) stretching out the weekend of the Tiki Tour to a long weekend of fun.

I really must give great huge enormous monstrous kudos to Pappy and Bargoyle for doing all the logistics and fronting money, all the people who donated stuff (at least Beth got a bunch back through the raffle) and all the restaurants for putting up with us.

and a standing ovation for our bus driver for dealing with us, especially all the forced U-turns!

this was a great event and I hope we can keep it going.

--sb

Fun beyond words!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!! Especially to Bargoyle and pappythesailor!

I can't imagine any other situation or time in my life where I met so many people at once, and almost immediately knew I could consider them friends!

I know that as the months and years stream along, we're going to have a LOT of fun!

M-A-H-A-L-O!!

Mahalo nui loa to Pappy and Bargoyle for all of your hard work. It paid off in spades as we all had a blast and will be eagerly anticipating next year's tour. Thanks also to the folks who donated raffle prizes and swag, it really helped make this fledgling event special. Speaking of special....shout out to best bunch of bus buddies anyone could ask for.

Mahalo nui loa! This weekend was unbelievable! Here's hoping I can meet up with ALL of you before next year. Mucho thanks to Bargoyle, Pappy and everyone else who helped make the first tour unforgettable.

Here are a few pics to tide everyone over:
http://www.graphicsworkshop.net/tiki/

-Paige

B

ALright!!! Pics!!! Thanks Paige!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks to The Granite Tiki and Bargoyle for all the planning and hard work that went into the NETT. I must say that it really really showed. I couldn't see ANY of glitches that Bargoyle mentioned, and the bus being late isn't anyone's fault except for the traffic. I thought it was very smooth and well run.

Everyone was so fun and generous with their stuff, the round robin room crawl, the sponsors, the Waitiki concert, and the participants who donated extra raffle prizes.

I'd also like to give special thanks to MartikiBird and Mr Martikibird (what was his new tiki name? Loogie Something?) for their kindness and generosity and especially for the ride from New Jersey!

I know there were a lot of camera shots going around so I'm looking forward to a lot of pictures!

S

On 2007-08-27 06:58, Queen of Everything wrote:
The First Annual NE Tiki Tour was so much fun!

ANNUAL??

Oh man, that sux to think about waiting so long to do this again.

But the worst thing about a good time is the end, so let us all remember this trip for the upcoming year so that the good times shall never end!

I only mentioned 'Annual' because I know most of our livers couldn't survive monthly tiki tours...and I, for one, do enough damage at home!

Aloooha NETT ohana!

What an incredible weekend! Many, many thanks to Bargoyle and Pappy (and everyone else who pitched in) for organizing an incredible weekend; to all the folks who donated prizes and otherwise supported the Tour; to Primo Kimo for organizing the Friday Motel Mixer; to all the hosts who opened their rooms with much aloha spirit; to Waitiki for a groovin’ show; to Hula Cat for the swank stuff; and to all the wonderful Ohana who indulged us in our picture-taking mania (photos to come very soon.)

Awesome. Truly awesome.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a group of more fun, generous and genuinely nice folks and we hope to see more of you all. (Our hale is always open to fellow TCers, just PM us to make sure we're around.)
Bargoyle, you were grace under pressure, and I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I can’t wait until next year! Mahalo nui loa!

Martiki-bird (a.k.a Gina), busily going through 300+ photos

B

On 2007-08-27 08:47, Martiki-bird wrote:
Bargoyle, you were grace under pressure

You sure you're thinking of the right guy?? I've got about 8 mystery bruises (mostly from attempting to stand on the bus, I assume) that say grace & I dont see eye to eye!!! lol.

Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for the hang & opening your room during the crawl. I expect you to be front & center on the next one!!

Now lets see dem pics!!!

Also, a shout to everyone...I need HI-REZ versions of everyone's pictures. You can compress them & upload to my ftp site, or mail me a cd or whatever. pm me.

Why do I need them???? Why, for an article in TIKI MAGAZINE about the tour, of course!! So, pick out your best photos & get em to me. You may wind up published!!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-08-27 09:26 ]

Now lets see dem pics!!!

I'm gonna e-mail you some today...

On 2007-08-27 07:55, paranoid123 wrote:
MartikiBird and Mr Martikibird (what was his new tiki name? Loogie Something?)

That would be me - Damian. I only just officially joined.

Thanks to everybody for making it such a fun time! This morning, Martikibird and I were already plotting fun round robin activities for next year, so let's maintain the enthusiasm, people! More East Coast activities, more meeting new people and putting faces to familiar names.

Here's just a few of the 8000 pics I took, (most of the others are blurry, and suck)
but, here's a few of my favs!

Friday night round robin at the super 8. Who knew the rooms came with tiki bars! Primos room - Wow!Bargoyle approves!

JungleBird's room and the amazing mugs she made for us all!

Receiving our swag bags, buying raffle tix and waiting for the bus

The amazing raffle items, loved by all. Everyone's generosity is amazing!

My view on the bus - with our emcee and host.... Bargoyle!

First stop for the "AA" bus - The Mon Kou

Everyone dressed in their finest! Hula Cat and Tiki Cat look lovely

..and when your finished with that pineapple... peel me a grape!

JungleBird,Kate,Granite Tiki and Leisure master!

We saw sooo many beautiful murals! Waitiki's in da house!

Amazing levitation at the Bali Hai - Eat your heart out Chris Angel!

the debris field at the Kowloon! Kowloon Rum!

As the bus pulls away,our waitress blows the conch shell, alerting the locals that it is safe to return to the bar!

Click on this...... it's a movie of the interior of the South Pacific in Newton Mass.
it's a little dark but gives a glimpse into their amazing room and our amazing northeast TCers

Speaking with the owner of the South Seas, he told me how the entire restaurant was once as beautifully crafted but through the recent years the difficulty with maintaining and cleaning the decor, and continue requests from the customers for brighter decor has convinced them to tear out the polynesia and go for the wallpaper and formica. He assured me that they now understand what they have in this back room and are determined to keep it intact! I said, "I'll drink to that!"

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-08-27 09:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 333 replies