Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies

MN

Head Shrinker and I were going to eat dinner there on the 7th. :( Boooooooo!!

TS

I just called Trader Vics Corporate offices just to ask them why they allowed a soft closing of TV...I recieved another number to call....Offices of Hollenbeck and Associates, I think, and the contact to speak with was Clay Doherty. He was unable to answer my question at this time, but He said they are putting together a press release, and he is going to email me the release.
His number is

Clay Doherty
415-227-1150 ext 13

Trader Vic's Corporate Offices is
Tel: 415-927-9788
I would call them, just to let them know how upset this community really is. The more calls they get, the more they might see the big picture. They are taking away something that will never come back in true form, so by me placing that phonecall allows them to know that there are people upset about the issue, and also lets them know that what they did isn't cool at all. I even asked to speak with Robert L. Davies who is the current President & C.E.O....lol
My fight isn't over until they have ALL heard my breath...As long as I still have people to tell and something to say, I will continue my efforts at heightening an awareness about the demise of the second oldest, Trader Vics 90210....

M

I heard on the news today that Trader Vics will still offer a poolside bar/restaurant at the Beverly Hilton which will open in a few weeks, and will still serve their signature drinks. Dissapointing to lose the original space, but there wasn't much left of it at this point, besides that great entryway and the mai-tais. I had more than a few dissapointing meals there...

TS

I now know where Trader Vic's has been moved to. It is inside Circa55
I watched the Fox11 news, and they did a helicopter flyover the pool area. If you enter Circa55 from the Hotel entry and walk straight out the back glass doors to the pool area,If you turn around,you will see the makeshift neon Trader Vic's sign that leads back into Circa55....Now thats class...blah!

On 2007-04-30 20:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot......

Sssshhhh, Ben, ist ja gut, ist ja gut...we share your loss and pain. It's another little death. This has been going on for a hundred years. Here's what I wrote in Chapter 18 of Tiki Modern (entitled "THE DECLINE OF TIKI ...and the Fall of the House of Witco"):"...In an ironic twist of history repeating itself, the new Tiki temples of Polynesian pop met the same fate as their antecedents of Polynesian antiquity. They fell into disrepair and were razed (or remodeled into unrecognizable stucco boxes).
This consequence of a changing times was nothing new: Lotte Lenya intoned Bertold Brechts "Bilbao Song" ("Bill's ballroom in Bilbao, Bilbao / Now it's renovated-- into something decent / Like every other establishment") decades before Joni Mitchell sang, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" about the razing of the Garden of Allah apartment complex..."

The loss of this urban Eden is what supposedly inspired that song:
http://www.gardenofallah.com/GOA_original.asp

T

what the...? Closed?! I can't believe it! I'm glad I got to go as many times as I did, but now where am I going to get all my Menehunes? This SUCKS!

S

Don't call Trader Vic's HQ. Trader Vic's is a franchise. The owner of a franchise can do whatever they want. Close it or not. Thay can't renovate it into a non-TV place, but the corporate office of TV is not to blame here and has nothing to do with it.

It sucks, but, it's business. We on TC are not going to keep any place open by writing letters. Dollars keep a place open. We can help spread the word and encourage more people to seek these places out, but we can't keep them open. We can only encourage others to have a better appreciation for the past and the icons of the past and to see them in a new and intersting light.

If America would stop thinking that Tuscany or Athens was the ideal and we should build our places to look like theirs, we might get somewhere. But when every new shopping center has a vaguely Meditereanian vibe going on, getting people to be excited about mid-century moderm or primitive is just not happening. Maybe Mahiki will start a wave in the UK that will spread to the US...

K
Kenike posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 1:59 PM

Would be of great interest as to how all the decorum will be recycled (and hopefully not destroyed). Apparently it is way out of the hands of the people that loved the bar/service...hence the police guards. SIGH

I'm guessing anything reusable will go into storage somewhere awaiting a new place to re-emerge. There are several items in Dallas that came from Chicago and part of the bar came from Japan.

“Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.”

Been so busy this past week or so, I was surprised to get a call from Jay Platt at the LA Conservancy yesterday afternoon. I hadn’t seen him since our get-together at Trader Vic’s BH on the last (and turns out it would indeed be the last) “Save Trader Vic’s 90210” gathering on March 17th, although we had briefly exchanged emails, and I was looking forward to catching up with what the LAC and ModComs had been discussing. He thanked me again for the research and phone logs I'd sent along last month, and then gave me the grim news. Closed?! What a thin blade was used here...

After all, those of us (you know who you are) who were there passing out our first “Save TV’s 90210” stickers to a packed house last St. Patty’s, were told by several members of the Staff they had been given the impression the place wouldn’t be closed until ’08. Well, “Forget it, Jake.” The Fix is In.

Hopefully the sum of these TC posts may serve as an example of how a group of people who cared about saving a legend got their “votes” at least noticed by some of the key “officials involved”, who possibly may have seen the writing could be starting on the opposite wall, if those who voted were joined by still more “voters” in the glare of any future open debate. Most especially before the Preservation Convention is held in LA this month, where a dedicated campaign may have gained some formidable allies.

That’s probably why there’s been no “Farewell Event” announced – the cowardly fashion of this quietly abrupt termination is as insensitive and inelegant -– and disrespective of our history -- as the rest of what’s planned to take TV’s place. ('Hey, like we’re gonna let “some little restaurant” stall the “Manhattanization of Beverly Hills”…? Sheesh, get outta the way, kid. We’re doin’ this our way, whatever it is anybody wants, get it?')

And I’ll say it here now, I’m calling every executive who had anything to do with formulating, approving, and executing this extermination of one of the world’s grand palaces of Polynesian Pop, beloved by its patrons high and low, complicit in what appears to be the craven attempt to close TV’s 90210 with as little noise as possible. I’m also calling upon them to redeem themselves in two ways:

1.) Throw Trader Vic’s a PROPER farewell. Tab’s on Benny, who’s not invited, but goes high on it anyway. Spend for a nicely produced video documentary, some quality Ken Burns-ish photomontage so everyone’ll see TVsBH's unique history and guests, intercut with some history on the life of Vic Bergeron, and coverage from the lavishly promoted and star-studded "Trader Vic's Farewell Bash" (did we mention that’s all on Benny?) AND,

2.) Do an “Indiana Jones”-level “archaeological rescue”: every bit of wood, rope, glass & iron. Insist that Trader Vic’s décor and architecture not be "parted out" and scattered to the wind, but carefully dismantled to be reassembled elsewhere -– with museum-caliber recreation. Like there’s not enough money and talent for this in Hollywoodland? Oh, please. Benny “and the gang” really ought to pony up a few mil for turning our hallowed ground into a f—ing driveway for the Bloatdorff, and it could be very good for his kharma, which he may want to look to, considering quite a number of TC Members do, in fact, own tikis, which we all know harbor strange and mysterious powers. So, decent $$, Benny, no scrimping.

Let us not suffer The Developers’ (and their Complicits’) quietly brutal victory without demanding an appeal as the vanquished to their invaders – throw a G**Damned Party, at least! Don’t knife her in the dark. ‘Cause I say that’s the way it looks to me. So go on put egg on my face. Make me a liar. THROW A REAL FAREWELL BASH, in and for this most urbanely storied of tiki bars. If the media won’t come for the mission, maybe they’ll show up for the wake.

I don’t know who else may agree here, but as for me those are my sentiments, as well as my appeal for a strangely ethical, sadly profitable demonstration of conscience from Among Those in power who may regard TV’s lore and memory as much as those who spoke out against her loss, and can make a good show of things if they want to. Let them show us they do understand and at least theoretically value the importance of special places in the world, even if money can indeed buy them.

These TC Threads now become part of Trader Vic’s BH lore, here in the century after she was built, chronicling her (as it would turn out) last months as a still-thriving, alluring and notorious adventure in drinking and dining, her reputation as glossy as ever. She will be remembered as a true oasis in a sea of palms swaying against a tropical sky, where the tikis came from Oceania (& Oceanic Arts), the rum from the Blue Caribbean, the fittings from “The Mutiny On The Bounty”, the personality from Old and New Hollywood -- and the food came on fire, sprinkled with a bit of stardust.

Aloha to the Fighters and the Voters, and all those who loved her and wished her well.

SOK

(ps: Last-minute checking before posting here with the Hilton's executive offices, according to whom, portions of the bar and decor have already been dismantled and are being refitted into the "C-55" venue. No "Trader Vic's branding" is to be evident, I was told, and Trader Vic's Beverly Hills is not going to reopen. What a brilliantly dirty move to rip her heart out to use as filler for some cobbled-up nightspot. Even if a resituation could've been negotiated, she's already been "chopped". Grrrrr.)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-01 18:04 ]

TS

The response from Marie, and below that is the OFFICIAL press release

Dear Tom -- I represent Oasis West who owns The Beverly Hilton and Clay Doherty representing Trader Vic’s, Inc. asked me to forward you the press release on the relocation of Trader Vic's to the pool at The Beverly Hilton.

I also understand that you had a question on the timing of the relocation.

As you know, Oasis West made a decision almost two years ago to close Trader Vic's, the timing was undecided at that time. But after the completion of our new Circa 55 restaurant and discussions with the community and Trader Vic’s, Inc. – we began working with Trader Vic’s, Inc to find a way to keep Trader Vic’s at The Beverly Hilton.

Just like our entire renovation of The Beverly Hilton, we have tried to honor the things that people love about the hotel’s past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into the 21st Century. We believe the relocation of Trader Vic’s by the pool is the right balance between the past and the future. We have brought some of the key elements of the original restaurant into a new island-inspired poolside atmosphere.

In terms of timing, we have tried to balance many important priorities for our employees, our guests and the hotel operations.

One, to finalize an agreement with Trader Vic’s and creating a compelling new Lounge.
Two, to make sure that we took care of our employees and honored our union contract.
Three, we needed to have our new hotel restaurant, Circa 55, up and running. And;
Four, we wanted to minimize the guest impact of any relocation or disruption in service at Trader Vic’s and be ready before our important summer season. To that end, we are opening Trader Vic's Lounge this Thursday, May 3rd at its new poolside location.

We are excited about the new poolside Trader Vic’s Lounge which will bring memorable elements of the original Trader Vic’s restaurant, the same signature drink and appetizer menu, drink vessels and key staff. We hope you will come by and see for yourself.

Hope this answers your questions.

Marie Garvey

####################OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE############################
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APRIL 30, 2007
Media Contact:
Marie Garvey, Garvey Communications
310-689-7490
[email protected]

THE BEVERLY HILTON TRADER VIC’S TO RELOCATE

Restaurant Moves Poolside as the Final Stage of Hotel Renovation

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group and Oasis West Realty, LLC, owner of The Beverly Hilton, announced today the relocation of Trader Vic’s to The Beverly Hilton pool area as the new Trader Vic’s Lounge, which will open on May 3, 2007. The updated Polynesian themed indoor/outdoor Trader Vic’s finalizes the comprehensive renovation of the 570-room hotel located on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards in Beverly Hills, California.

“This begins a new chapter for Trader Vic’s and The Beverly Hilton,” said Beny Alagem, of Oasis West Realty. “Like our entire renovation, we have taken steps to honor what people love about the hotel’s exciting past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into 21st Century. We believe that guests and residents will love Trader Vic’s new location with memorable features from the original restaurant in a new poolside island-inspired atmosphere.”

The new Trader Vic’s Lounge will be located next to the new Circa 55 restaurant and the Aqua Star pool area. The menu will feature Trader Vic’s signature drinks including the world-famous Mai Tai, invented by Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron, the Scorpion Bowl and appetizer plates that are ideal for sharing with friends.

“We are pleased that the popularity of Trader Vic’s continues to grow around the globe, ” said Robert Davies, President and CEO of Trader Vic’s. “Our loyal patrons and hotel guests can be assured that while the atmosphere may be more casual, our new Beverly Hills offering will continue to reflect the finest of our company’s island-style service and culinary quality.”
The Trader Vic’s Lounge will open at the pool area on May 3, 2007 and the existing restaurant will close on April 30, 2007. Signature interior elements from the existing Trader Vic’s restaurant will be relocated to the new Trader Vic’s Lounge.

About Trader Vic’s Inc.
Founded in 1934, Trader Vic’s Inc. is a group of company-owned and franchised restaurants. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Trader Vic’s has locations stretching from the United States to Europe, the Middle East and Asia. For more information visit http://www.tradervics.com.

Media Contact for Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group: Clay Doherty, Hollenbeck Associates 415-227-1150 ext. 13 or [email protected].

About The Beverly Hilton
9876 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, California 90210 (310) 274-7777 http://www.beverlyhilton.com

Opened in 1955 by distinguished hotelier Conrad Hilton, The Beverly Hilton has combined the excitement and entertainment of Hollywood with the elegance of Beverly Hills for over 50 years. Located at the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, the 570-room hotel features 101 suites including the nine private luxury suites within The Penthouse Collection. With more than 60,000 square feet of upscale indoor and open-air event space all on the lobby level, the hotel's famed International Ballroom is the centerpiece of the new International Collection. Home of many notable annual events including the Golden Globe Awards(r), Oscar Nominee Luncheon and the Milken Institute's Global Conference, The Beverly Hilton offers three award-winning ballrooms, nine additional meeting rooms, an Executive Meeting Center with unrivaled AVT Event Technology to make any meeting a success.

Owned by entertainer, Merv Griffin from 1987 to 2003, Beny Alagem and Oasis West Realty LLC purchased the Beverly Hilton in late 2003. Immediately embarking on an $80 million reinvention of the property, Oasis West Realty redefined the luxury hotel to a level of sophistication synonymous with the Beverly Hills

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-01 15:46 ]

P
PremEx posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 4:09 PM

"Relocated" my ass. What a PR hack job. :(

R

This is so sad. When they closed T.V. Chicago I knew I could always go back to my old stomping ground in LA - and now that's gone too. Here's hoping the Trader finds a new partner in LA (as they have done in Chicago) and opens a new place (as they have yet to do in Chicago).

T

On 2007-05-01 13:59, Kenike wrote:
I'm guessing anything reusable will go into storage somewhere awaiting a new place to re-emerge. There are several items in Dallas that came from Chicago and part of the bar came from Japan.

On a purely selfish note (sorry Californians), it would be kinda sweet if the new Chicago TVs had some of the (few) best artifacts from Bev Hills...

K
Kenike posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 6:30 PM

On 2007-05-01 16:09, PremEx wrote:
"Relocated" my ass. What a PR hack job. :(

Well put.

I've never been to BH, but I can smell BS from 1500 miles away. Quite evident in this part of the press release:

"Just like our entire renovation of The Beverly Hilton, we have tried to honor the things that people love about the hotel’s past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into the 21st Century."

My condolences.

The matter will be discussed tomorrow, Wednesday, by one of our number on KPCC Airtalk
at 10:30 a.m. on 89.3 FM.
http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/index.shtml

ST

Well....I have just finished burning through all of the posts and am quite shocked that this all took place so quickly. I really believe that BEVERLY HILLS might just as well leave a large hole in the ground because whatever takes Trader Vic's place in the sun isn't going to be worth much more than that...Sure am glad I got to visit the shrine last November. SON OF KELBO, looks like we're making the first toast of the first round to TVBH and a great but short rallying cry. Still heading out in November.

If the Ohana need a "TV's Vintage Fix" make a trip to Atlanta and we'll make if weekend of it. The drinks are the best Hot-lanta has to offer.

I'm truly sorry about the turn of events out there...my heart is heavy over the apparent loss.

Swamp

Was Trader Vics prematurely closed to remove preservationists efforts - like what Mahony did to St. Vibaiana's to clear the way for the Raj Mahal?

O

I think they realized how pissed everyone was. They went from saying Trader Vic's had had its day a few months ago to this. Notice the release date.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APRIL 30, 2007
Media Contact:
Marie Garvey, Garvey Communications
310-689-7490
[email protected]

THE BEVERLY HILTON TRADER VIC’S TO RELOCATE

Restaurant Moves Poolside as the Final Stage of Hotel Renovation

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group and Oasis West Realty, LLC, owner of The Beverly Hilton, announced today the relocation of Trader Vic’s to The Beverly Hilton pool area as the new Trader Vic’s Lounge, which will open on May 3, 2007. The updated Polynesian themed indoor/outdoor Trader Vic’s finalizes the comprehensive renovation of the 570-room hotel located on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards in Beverly Hills, California.

“This begins a new chapter for Trader Vic’s and The Beverly Hilton,” said Beny Alagem, of Oasis West Realty. “Like our entire renovation, we have taken steps to honor what people love about the hotel’s exciting past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into 21st Century. We believe that guests and residents will love Trader Vic’s new location with memorable features from the original restaurant in a new poolside island-inspired atmosphere.”

The new Trader Vic’s Lounge will be located next to the new Circa 55 restaurant and the Aqua Star pool area. The menu will feature Trader Vic’s signature drinks including the world-famous Mai Tai, invented by Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron, the Scorpion Bowl and appetizer plates that are ideal for sharing with friends.

“We are pleased that the popularity of Trader Vic’s continues to grow around the globe, ” said Robert Davies, President and CEO of Trader Vic’s. “Our loyal patrons and hotel guests can be assured that while the atmosphere may be more casual, our new Beverly Hills offering will continue to reflect the finest of our company’s island-style service and culinary quality.”
The Trader Vic’s Lounge will open at the pool area on May 3, 2007 and the existing restaurant will close on April 30, 2007. Signature interior elements from the existing Trader Vic’s restaurant will be relocated to the new Trader Vic’s Lounge.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 09:27 ]

TS

Haha, thats the same date thats on the press release that I recieved and posted here!!! What a bunch of sugar coating bastards! They didn't have a release stating the last day at Trader Vic's, In fact I was there on April 30th with my camera, and they were NOT open! Lying pieces of poop! Sunday April 29th was the last time their doors were open to the public! They have a PR nightmare on their hands!

O

This was posted on Lotta Living a few months back.

Quote in the latest LA Business Journal from Rose Norton, "former Beverly Hills planning commissioner and a veteran community activist"

"...There's one aspect of the project that Norton said likely won't be contested: The loss of Trader Vic's. 'I get the sense that people think Trader Vic's has had it's day,' she said. 'It's really slipped. Nobody will miss it"

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo to remove the words that I originally wrote,you can guess what they were!)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 09:56 ]

Slick! That last press release, in the view of the general populace, essentially puts "complainers" like us into the Tiki nerd and Tiki snob ghetto. This is a new form of Tiki devolution: Not a straight tear down, but a "renewal", aaaaah! Devolution nevertheless.

The swift move to close without notice has already been practiced by developers, like in the case of the Polynesian Village Apartments in Marina Del Rey. In T.V's case, it came in combination with "talking to the community", to lull people into believing they had a say, but really to avoid any serious, annoying activism.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-05-02 09:58 ]

T

So, now it's a "Diet" Trader Vics ? Better than none at all I s'pose....

That being said, my last trip to TV's was an unpleasant one...the service sucked (we were there for dinner) and the whole "I'm in Beverly Hills amongst the rich and famous" vibe of the place was a TOTAL turnoff. Of course I loved the place itself , but due to it's geographical situation, it wasn't really very fun.

I'll take the new Don The Beachcomber in the Royal Kona Hotel in Kona, HI any day.

The food is better too.

That's the Pure Truth, TS! What an unctious, backpeddling, last-minute PR turnabout, now that they've already chopped the place up on the QT, to stave-off the righteous ire from those who were mounting the effort to save the joint. Masterfully chickens**t, craven in its slap-dash promotional spin (like this is what they've been planning all along, folks!), obviously blurted out in rattled response to the "Save TV's BH" outcry no doubt coming at them from all quarters now.

This is a phoney spin to run up against the preservation convention coming to Hollywood this month, so "the Great Preservationists" BA & Oasis can craft a hasty yap about how dearly they regard the Trader Vic's legacy in their stewardship. MFs chopped her, were first going to all but dump the franchise and offer "a few drinks and menu items" inside C55 -- and are now falling over themselves trying to look like this sudden "relocation" announcement springs from their abiding regard for TV's place in history.

I say we hold a "Beverly Hills Tea Party", and throw all their rum into the swimming pool! No, wait..., let me think that one through again...

Well, let's see what their "relocation" plans really are, and maybe we can hold their feet to the fire -- put enough light on finding out "exactly what kind of 'relocation'" is underway for Trader Vics BH poolside at the Hilton, who's in charge, what their plans are, what kind of attention to tradition and quality they're willing to go on record to say they're pursuing. Who has input? Are the patrons and historians shut out? Make 'em eat their big-hearted "post-demolition turnaround", in big high-profile spoonfuls.

First, let's find out who's "Officially In Charge" of overseeing the content and aesthetics of the full-on "relocation" touted in this new, "new" press release's wonderful news. Then, let's let 'em know the 'Ohana are ready to offer any knowledgable guidance that may be required to avoid the creation of a "McVic's", in place of what we've lost.

And whatever, wherever, I'm calling for a six-month Memorial Toast (say Saturday Night, November 3rd?) to the memory of "the old Trader Vic's", possibly in the new one, if it's done right and not botched-up, or at some other location (Tonga Hut?, Bahooka's? Johnny & Libby's Palapa?) so those of us who were tentatively planning to meet there this Fall will still have a charge in her honor. (And maybe set some food on fire...) Oh, yeah, and Benny's definitely not invited (unless he personally makes g**damned sure the "relocation" of Trader Vics within the Hilton is Respectful, Meticulous, Generously Funded, and a Quality Job Of The First Order). Grrrrrrr.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-02 10:48 ]

B.S. or not? We'll all know more soon enough when the poolside TV's is due to open. Mahalo to the Cali Ohana for keeping the rest of us in the loop on this.

P

On 2007-05-02 10:43, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
And whatever, wherever, I'm calling for a six-month Memorial Toast (say Saturday Night, November 3rd?) to the memory of "the old Trader Vic's...

Good idea. :)

Even though I'm sure there are already many "Memorial Toasts" going on as I write.

And I'm pretty sure that at least 2 dozen TC'ers will be joining in on a sad toast to the memory of the dear departed Trader Vic's 90210...this Saturday (May 5) in Texas at the just restored Trader Vic's Dallas gathering:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23321&forum=4

I know I will be.

TS

Im all for a 6 month toast as well, but NOT at the new TV...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0...Tiki Ti is the pitstop for me from now on...And if I want polynesian food, Bahooka will do fine by me...Until something else comes along?

T

On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:
Im all for a 6 month toast as well, but NOT at the new TV...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0...Tiki Ti is the pitstop for me from now on...And if I want polynesian food, Bahooka will do fine by me...Until something else comes along?

Agreed, but I'd hardly call Bahooka "Polynesian food".

I don't know why everybody is so upset. The people at the Hilton say this is the best thing to ever happen to Beverly Hills!

Sorry--I'm as bummed out as everybody...

On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:
...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...
I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did.
Its the ambience, and the history for me...

exactly !!!

P
PremEx posted on Wed, May 2, 2007 1:48 PM

*On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:*For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0

Agree. Exactly how I feel. And to even suggest that one of the most classic Trader Vic's restaurants and bars in the world has been "relocated" to the pool where they've probably moved some of the artifacts and put in a couple more potted planters...really adds insult to injury, IMHO. Whatever ends up by the pool will not, in any way, be Trader Vic's Beverly Hills.

And even if they have the same pupus and great bartenders making great traditional Trader Vic's drinks...no matter how much I would want to partake in that "better something than nothing" experience...I'm really hesitant to contribute even one dime toward the coffers of the owners of the Beverly Hilton, after the shameless action they just pulled...and then furthering the insult by issuing that totally B.S. and almost "backdated" Press Release.

I'm an adult. If after a good battle to save Trader Vic's, they decided to still close it...I could live with that. But if a historically important, still popular, and much loved restaurant like the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was to die...they should have at the very least given it a proper burial and send-off. But to just slit its throat in the dark of the night and then place its head on a pole out by the pool and expect the public to say, "Oh...well...that's not so bad"...is just a shame.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do these kinds of things. And IMHO, the Beverly Hilton and all involved did it the totally wrong chicken-shit weasel kind of way.

:(

TS

On 2007-05-02 13:48, PremEx wrote:

I'm an adult. If after a good battle to save Trader Vic's, they decided to still close it...I could live with that. But if a historically important, still popular, and much loved restaurant like the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was to die...they should have at the very least given it a proper burial and send-off. But to just slit its throat in the dark of the night and then place its head on a pole out by the pool and expect the public to say, "Oh...well...that's not so bad"...is just a shame.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do these kinds of things. And IMHO, the Beverly Hilton and all involved did it the totally wrong chicken-shit weasel kind of way.

I couldn't have said it any better!

You know, I got to really thinking about this f'ed up situation, and I have drawn my own conclusions. First off, If Beny Alegem and his "Oasis" company would have really taken any consideration, They COULD have built the two luxury towers ABOVE the Original location of trader vic's, thus leaving this sacred establishment entact. If they would have put that into consideration, everyone would have won.

And say if Trader Vic's corporation decided at the end of their contract lease(whenever that would be), that they no longer wanted to run that facility,and pull out Trader Vic's, THEN Beny could have utilized the space as another ballroom, banquet room, convention room, conference room or even a nightclub. It would not have caused any wasted space. But Good old fashioned "Bribes" played favor. In exchange for the City of Beverly Hills "allowing" Mr. Alegem a green light to have his luxury towers built, he gives the city an extra lane on Wilshire Blvd. to "Help" alleviate traffic. How nice and thoughtful of Mr Alegem. It is only a "gift" worth on paper a measly $8 million dollars...Greased pockets is the equivalation to "RESPECT MONEY,NOT CULTURES" which I'm sure is how Beverly Hills was founded anyhow...

I have seen alot of American Mid century culture lost, mainly due to lack of understanding what American Pop Culture is, and how it has played a vital and important role in our Country. Yet, Mr.Alegem is a first generation Israelite(former tank driver for the Israeli Army), so what can he possibly understand of "American Pop Culture"....It's harsh,I know, but it's real.

Just the same fate as what happened to Harveys(Later renamed Johnnies)Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey. Now I'm not about to stir a debate as to what his nationality has to do with his decision to axe the original Trader Vic's location, but it seems odd that alot of this type of "devolution" as someone would say, happens by the hand of first gen'ers...Lack of understanding pop culture would seem the root of preservation problems, hence the example of Mr. Alegems NOT being able to relate to a successful pop cultural landmark.

It's all of our roots that form this world we live in, but by destroying what the past has offered us I feel, is not the total answer. Some things do need to go away due to progress like the Commodore 64 computers, But my concern is what will we have to show any future generations 20 years from now about our pasts, what we did for fun, or for leisure when it is all gone?...A Museum dedicated to it? or a chain of "Jim's House of Mai Tais" as big as Starbucks serving watered down corn syrup infested poison claiming "Just like they used to Make"? You be the judges....

Edited for the spelling bee :wink:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-02 15:26 ]

O

This was the scene on Wilshire blvd yesterday that ended in the riot with people being shot with rubber bullets.

And this is the scene on Wilshire blvd about 5 miles to the west on Sunday.

Perhaps they wanted to avoid a demonstration on Wilshire blvd where Trader Vic's is about mid point between these two unrelated events.
Isn't life strange?

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his life plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 15:35 ]

T

On 2007-05-02 14:21, Tom Slick wrote:

On 2007-05-02 13:48, PremEx wrote:

I couldn't have said it any better!

You know, I got to really thinking about this f'ed up situation, and I have drawn my own conclusions. First off, If Beny Alegem and his "Oasis" company would have really taken any consideration, They COULD have built the two luxury towers ABOVE the Original location of trader vic's, thus leaving this sacred establishment entact. If they would have put that into consideration, everyone would have won.

And say if Trader Vic's corporation decided at the end of their contract lease(whenever that would be), that they no longer wanted to run that facility,and pull out Trader Vic's, THEN Beny could have utilized the space as another ballroom, banquet room, convention room, conference room or even a nightclub. It would not have caused any wasted space. But Good old fashioned "Bribes" played favor. In exchange for the City of Beverly Hills "allowing" Mr. Alegem a green light to have his luxury towers built, he gives the city an extra lane on Wilshire Blvd. to "Help" alleviate traffic. How nice and thoughtful of Mr Alegem. It is only a "gift" worth on paper a measly $8 million dollars...Greased pockets is the equivalation to "RESPECT MONEY,NOT CULTURES" which I'm sure is how Beverly Hills was founded anyhow...

I have seen alot of American Mid century culture lost, mainly due to lack of understanding what American Pop Culture is, and how it has played a vital and important role in our Country. Yet, Mr.Alegem is a first generation Israelite(former tank driver for the Israeli Army), so what can he possibly understand of "American Pop Culture"....It's harsh,I know, but it's real.

Just the same fate as what happened to Harveys(Later renamed Johnnies)Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey. Now I'm not about to stir a debate as to what his nationality has to do with his decision to axe the original Trader Vic's location, but it seems odd that alot of this type of "devolution" as someone would say, happens by the hand of first gen'ers...Lack of understanding pop culture would seem the root of preservation problems, hence the example of Mr. Alegems NOT being able to relate to a successful pop cultural landmark.

It's all of our roots that form this world we live in, but by destroying what the past has offered us I feel, is not the total answer. Some things do need to go away due to progress like the Commodore 64 computers, But my concern is what will we have to show any future generations 20 years from now about our pasts, what we did for fun, or for leisure when it is all gone?...A Museum dedicated to it? or a chain of "Jim's House of Mai Tais" as big as Starbucks serving watered down corn syrup infested poison claiming "Just like they used to Make"? You be the judges....

Edited for the spelling bee :wink:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-02 15:26 ]

I totally agree, and made a similar point here http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5513&start=0 and got the word "Xenophobia" tossed around. :(

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-05-02 16:56 ]

H

I've shared my thoughts on the current direction of Trader Vic's in a lengthy post on my blog:

Trader Vic’s Becomes Trader Meh

Those press releases are so blase as to be infuriating. I do feel for them -- I'm sure they didn't want to be banished to the pool. But their "nothing's really changing!" attitude, combined with their lackluster efforts with the new locations... they're just so far from the Trader Vic's I want to support.

Well said on your blog Humu....it leaves a corporate knife sticking out of your back!!! The chain really should change their name to Trator Sick....cause it is just so sickening. :(

ST

Ohana:

Ironically, developers (large and small) live in a fantasy world far removed from our own. They genuinely believe that their ideas of urban development are bettering the world around them. They cannot understand that "old" can be a good thing. Developers see open lands or older properties as antiquated and lack-luster. We in the preservation field constantly push for the establishment of districts that are governed by zoning ordinances. This is the only way to keep these mis-guided souls in check. When protective measures are in place and part of public policy there isn't much they can do except buy off a politician...

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to utilize the latest edition of "TIKI ROAD TRIP" and pin-point mid-century/tiki sites that need protection. If they are fifty years old or older lets get them on the National Register. We can get a step ahead of development trends and raise local awareness before sh** hits the fan. Planning...Planning...Planning. Get ahead of them.

What cranks my ass is (when protective measures aren't in place) that they don't ask for the opinions of the "little people." Instead they rock our world with their fat-cat design schemes and then expect us to except it and live with it. Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!

Swamp

ST

On 2007-05-02 12:40, pappythesailor wrote:
I don't know why everybody is so upset. The people at the Hilton say this is the best thing to ever happen to Beverly Hills!

Sorry--I'm as bummed out as everybody...

Green Space? I tought that Southern California had watering restrictions.

On 2007-05-02 09:57, tikiyaki wrote:
So, now it's a "Diet" Trader Vics ? Better than none at all I s'pose....

Such is true. It is horrible, but some tiki is much better than none.
I'll probably be in the house around 8:30 to mark the "opening."

Regarding the sudden closure:
I went there two weeks ago and the bartender by the pool (I think it's called Circa ? ) and said he knew nothing about the rumor of closing. That's what you call brainwashing.
I have seen this strategy of closing overnight at work up here. It's the quickest way to eliminate any employee union delays, let alone any protester delays in this matter.
When your closed,
case closed.

[ Edited by: surffnutt3000 2007-05-14 20:42 ]

On 2007-05-02 18:38, Swamp Tiki wrote:
Ohana:

Ironically, developers (large and small) live in a fantasy world far removed from our own. They genuinely believe that their ideas of urban development are bettering the world around them.

... We in the preservation field constantly push for the establishment of districts that are governed by zoning ordinances. This is the only way to keep these mis-guided souls in check. When protective measures are in place and part of public policy there isn't much they can do except buy off a politician...

Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!
Swamp

Swamp,
Everyone is pissed that TV is closed, I think it SUCKS!
However, All developers?? Come on this is 2007, we can play better than that! I am a developer and everything you said is so false, perhaps for some but I take offense to your statements! ZONING ORDINANCES? Yeah that's a good idea, give the government something else to screw up.
Bottom line, like it or not, IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU. It belongs to them, they get to decide and I would go to arms to protect that right. I don't want them to close it but in the USA, we have freedoms and liberties and it is their choice.
Your last line about developers only want what's right for them...that is true of Planning departments in cities and counties.
I do not want to light you up and I understand the feelings, trust me, I wanted to take my daughter and her husband there in July.

One last thought, it has kinda struck me funny that TV was where it was and that it lasted as long as it did. Lets face it, Tiki is some what lowbrow and most of us do not travel in the Beverly Hills Hilton crowd.(Most of those people think a "Pin-up" is what what their plastic surgeon does to your forehead.)
The only reason I would ever step into that building would be for Vic's and I have not been able to afford it since 1973 when I first saw it at my High School Prom next door. I am going to assume that the replacement place will be zoomy for the BH crowd and I would not be caught dead there. I will assume that will be okay with them also. I will however go get a drink out by the pool because who knows how long that will last. We need to support that so it stays around.
Blame it on that damn hip-hop music.

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2007-05-02 23:51 ]

If they are fifty years old or older lets get them on the National Register. We can get a step ahead of development trends and raise local awareness before sh** hits the fan. Planning...Planning...Planning. Get ahead of them.

What cranks my ass is (when protective measures aren't in place) that they don't ask for the opinions of the "little people." Instead they rock our world with their fat-cat design schemes and then expect us to except it and live with it. Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!

Swamp

On 2007-05-02 23:38, bananabobs wrote:
Bottom line, like it or not, IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU. It belongs to them, they get to decide and I would go to arms to protect that right. I don't want them to close it but in the USA, we have freedoms and liberties and it is their choice.
Your last line about developers only want what's right for them...that is true of Planning departments in cities and counties.
I do not want to light you up and I understand the feelings, trust me, I wanted to take my daughter and her husband there in July.

First off....completely agreeing with everyone's anger, frustration and lack of power in a situation such as this and to address the above quotes:
http://www.nationaltrust.org/
Not to blow my own horn but I am a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, I live in an 1895 Queen Anne Victorian Home and live in a city that while they have Historically Registered Districts still manages to tear down and/or screw up historically important areas of the city.
The city/property owners hire developers and approve and disapprove plans for development.
If there's some new mall or crappy looking, generic building going up somewhere an architect designed it, someone approved it, it went before planning commissions where it had to be approved again....and most of those as a resident of a particular city you can sit in and put in your two cents.....believe me, my wife and I have been at many of ours and said a thing or two about what gets built or doesn't!
Finally, there are the pay offs, the look the other ways the contradictions to the rules....that's what makes all of this so difficult.

I had posted a different thread months ago....last year in fact about protecting our Historic Landmarks and encouraged people to join and support the National Trust...I gave up on the thread after I got so much heat and arguments instead of people just joining, educating themselves on what they can do in THEIR communities.
http://www.nationaltrust.org/
THIS was the sort of "protective measures" that SHOULD have been in place! :(

ST

Sorry to offend, but I was a developer prior to switching sides who started protecting historic properties rather than bulldozing them and throwing up a new hotel, stripmall, fast-food joint, or filling station. If you are hip to saving eligible properties and initiating adaptive use measures to protect our treasured landscapes, I applaud you. In This situation, big money deals will be striking a historic landmark that failed to be recognized until it was too late. I work with planning departments and agree that some of the problem lies there, but most development activity centers around shark patrols and windshield land assessments to pinpoint sites to wedge in their grand ideas.

You may see a rosier picture than I or perhaps been lucky enough to be a part of a progressive organization...my disgust comes from seeing development trends that have been in place and gaining speed since the early 1970s.

Sorry that you couldn't get your family to TBBH prior to the closing. It was a great spot and you would have had a great evening.

Swamp

On 2007-05-02 23:38, bananabobs wrote:

Ohana:

Ironically, developers (large and small) live in a fantasy world far removed from our own. They genuinely believe that their ideas of urban development are bettering the world around them.

... We in the preservation field constantly push for the establishment of districts that are governed by zoning ordinances. This is the only way to keep these mis-guided souls in check. When protective measures are in place and part of public policy there isn't much they can do except buy off a politician...

Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!
Swamp

Swamp,
Everyone is pissed that TV is closed, I think it SUCKS!
However, All developers?? Come on this is 2007, we can play better than that! I am a developer and everything you said is so false, perhaps for some but I take offense to your statements! ZONING ORDINANCES? Yeah that's a good idea, give the government something else to screw up.

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-05-03 04:04 ]

O

On 2007-04-30 23:19, Ojaitimo wrote:

We did, this was the usual response from various media. If they got Joe to believe the BS, the other media must have been easy for them to bamboozle.

I sent this to him today.

Dear Joe,

As of today Trader Vic's is closed in Beverly Hill's. Is this enough proof?

Tim Keenan Ojaitimo on Tiki Central

Barely Legal Radio wrote:

(Quote)I've been hearing this rumor for 5 years and they deny it. Is there  
proof that they are taking it out? (Quote)  

I got this reply from Joe today

(Quote) I talked to them a couple weeks ago about having their wine guy come on the show. they were paranoid, secretive, and weird. That's when it sank in.

Nothing we can do about this kind of stuff. Private property. But It's just as tragic for me as it is for you. total disaster. (Quote)

On 2007-05-02 23:49, bananabobs wrote:
One last thought, it has kinda struck me funny that TV was where it was and that it lasted as long as it did. Lets face it, Tiki is some what lowbrow and most of us do not travel in the Beverly Hills Hilton crowd.(Most of those people think a "Pin-up" is what what their plastic surgeon does to your forehead.)

I have been there probably over a dozen times in the last couple of years and can attest there was no lack of patronage, either at the bar or the restaurant.

Merv Griffin, who I think is the owner, simply terminated or bought out the lease with TV so he would not have the preservation issue to demolish the property.

P
PremEx posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 8:32 AM

On 2007-05-03 08:08, christiki295 wrote:
Merv Griffin, who I think is the owner...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Merv relinquished all his ownership of the Beverly Hilton and Trader Vics, quite some time ago. From the official Press Release posted in this thread:

Owned by entertainer, Merv Griffin from 1987 to 2003, Beny Alagem and Oasis West Realty LLC purchased the Beverly Hilton in late 2003.

Something tells me that if Merv were still the owner...Trader Vics would never have come into jeopardy like this. It was my understanding that it was one of his favorite restaurants even before he purchased the hotel.

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-05-03 08:33 ]

TS

You are right Premex, Merv no longer has anything to do with the Beverly Hilton, as it sold in 2003 to Beny Alagem and his butchers.

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies